Midfield Next Season

Yagami

Good post resistant
McTominay and Fred aren't world class, but the two did a fantastic job against PSG's midfield.
They did (as well as Andreas), but we can't trust them to be the base of our midfield on that game alone, imo.

Like, back in 2002, in our quarter final 2nd leg against a brilliant Deportivo side, we were missing Keane, Scholes and Beckham got injured very early on, and Butt and Veron had absolute stormers. They were magnificent, but we'd have been daft to use them as our midfield base despite playing worldies.

Fer

Even if we sell Pogba. I find difficult to see Ole signing 3 new starters in our midfield.

I think we are going to get 2 midfielders. One of them would be a creative one. Someone like Fernandes, Maddison, Eriksen, etc.

The 3rd spot would be taken for one of Fred, Mctominay, Matic or Pereira.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It isn't exactly surprising our midfield is so bad. It hasn't been the best for a little while now, but last season we sold Fellaini and let Herrera go for free. Like it or not, those were both first team players who got a lot of game time. We still haven't replaced them. And if Pogba also goes, that only leaves us with Matic, and then Scott/Fred who were in and out of the first team last season. Plus none of those three are going to strike fear in any of our rivals.

We need at least two high quality players just to share the load, three if Pogba goes. Though I doubt we will get them at the moment, and if that is the case you would have to assume that with a weaker midfield we are more likely to finish lower than to move up the table.

Eric's Seagull

I think a midfield of Partey (£44m), Von de Beek (£35m,) and Bruno Fernades (£50m) could work. Think this could work as it has the right combination of silk and steel in my opinion.

Edited spelling: Just woke up

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I think a midfield of Partey (£44m), Von de Beek (£35m,) and Bruno Fernades (£50m) could work. Think this could work as it has the right combination of silk abd steek in my opinion.
you saying we would make 3 more signings? :lol::(

Eric's Seagull

you saying we would make 3 more signings? :lol::(
Not saying we would make 3 signings but if Woody was to pull his finger out, not sure where it is stuck at the moment, would like to see these signings. I think these signings could do well and I can hope but as I've been saying I don't have much in faith in Woody getting either of them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Think we should get two more midfielders whether or not Pogba stays.
Just offload Darmian, Rojo at least, and get two more in imho.

In Rainbows

It doesn't matter who can score what in a given game, because the team would be set up in a manner where each player best serves the overall unit rather than just looking at goals and assists.

The other midfielders we are linked with are capable of better serving the overall unit that Ole is looking to implement.
What is it that those 3 would provide as a unit? Would they provide creativity? No. Would they provide great protection for the back 4? No. Would they be the best players to retain possession? No. Can they run the show with their passing? No.

If working hard is all it took, why not just sign 3 championship players who work hard and be done with it?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Our midfield, forever our weakness and so underinvested
Why is it always the case. Seems like we've needed to upgrade every year since Keane left

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think a midfield of Partey (£44m), Von de Beek (£35m,) and Bruno Fernades (£50m) could work. Think this could work as it has the right combination of silk and steel in my opinion.

Edited spelling: Just woke up
I'd be quite happy with any or all of them although I can't say I know too much about Party tbf. If Van de Beek is genuinely keen on United then I think he'd do quite well for us and getting some goalscoring midfielders in would be excellent too.

Bestietom

We will probably end up with the worst midfield in the top 10 again this season.
We need a full revamp of our midfield. A balanced midfield that can play together and work for one another. Most of all we need a leader there.

Litch

Whatever we think and as obvious as it might be in what we need, it won't happen cause it rarely does. It's be said already but if I take a moment to think about it, we lost 2 midfielders already that needed replacing and now Pogs. What we have left wouldn't look out of place in a team fighting regulation (I'm not being knee-jerk). Are we going to sign 3 midfielders, much less world class....more chance of hearing ducks fart.

Eric's Seagull

I'd be quite happy with any or all of them although I can't say I know too much about Party tbf. If Van de Beek is genuinely keen on United then I think he'd do quite well for us and getting some goalscoring midfielders in would be excellent too.
I sagree we need goalscoring midfielders. I think Van De Beek and Fernades would work as it should get us more assists and goals and then we wouldn't be relying on Pogba as our sole source of creativity because if the opposition nullifies him were are screwed. At least if we had Bruno and Van de Beek we have more creative/goalsoring outlets.

Eddy_JukeZ

Somehow our midfield has become a huge problem again after it 'looked' fine for a season or two.

It's quite incredible how poor we have invested since SAF left.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Midfield is looking very worrying for next season. All of a sudden we need a complete new midfield. With Pogba looking to leave we have to rely on Fred, Matic, McTominay. We need at least 2 midfielders who are good enough for starting 11.

Eric's Seagull

Those prices are way too low.
Partey has €50m realease clause. Transfermarkt values Van de Beek at £36m but I read an article about Real which values him at €60, so my bad on that one apologies. I am basing Bruno's value on the £50m I have seen quoted. Would hopefully want to get him for that price but aware it may take a but more.

Edit: Just read Ajax would accept €50m minimum for Van De Beek

Litch

Midfield is looking very worrying for next season. All of a sudden we need a complete new midfield. With Pogba looking to leave we have to rely on Fred, Matic, McTominay. We need at least 2 midfielders who are good enough for starting 11.
Agree and can slot straight in.....

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
They always talk about big ambitions but when you look at the squad and investments, it just does not correlate.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Partey has €50m realease clause. Transfermarkt values Van de Beek at £36m but I read an article about Real which values him at €60, so my bad on that one apologies. I am basing Bruno's value on the £50m I have seen quoted. Would hopefully want to get him for that price but aware it may take a but more.

You also have to take into account the percentage added on top since Man United is an english club and a very desperate one.

Agree and can slot straight in.....
This is why signing someone like Longstaff makes no sense to me. Whatever his talent and promise, he just won't improve instantly and we badly need that.

Crustanoid

You’re assuming our board will do the obvious thing and try to buy players that will improve us. Additionally, that Ed has the capacity to wrap individual deals up within a couple of decades before rivals sign them / the player retires

Eric's Seagull

You’re assuming our board will do the obvious thing and try to buy players that will improve us. Additionally, that Ed has the capacity to wrap individual deals up within a couple of decades before rivals sign them / the player retires
I'm not assuming I'm hoping. I don't have any faith in Woody at all. I agree your part in bold and think that Ed is terrible in signing players before our rivals get them and that is another thing which irritates me about him. :mad:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Somehow our midfield has become a huge problem again after it 'looked' fine for a season or two.

It's quite incredible how poor we have invested since SAF left.
Really we started investing badly while Fergie was still here and in particular after Ronaldo left. Clearly both De Gea and RVP were both brilliant acquisitions but there a high number of plain average and downright subpar signings made as well. Probably not SAF's fault as most likely his hands were tied but spending limits imposed on him and therefore had hold it all together as best as he could.

UpWithRivers

Whats annoying is that potentially we have a a decent midfield - Matic is a really good player that has gone to sht and lost pace somehow, Fred was wanted by City - if it reports were right, you can guarantee Pep would have him playing like some world class midfielder by now, McTominay looks like a real talent and Pogba even if you hate him is one of the best midfielders in the world. That midfield on paper looks better or at least as good as Henderson - Fabinho -Wijnaldum. Yes its one game but the McTominay and Fred ran riot over PSG and that two months were we couldnt lose Pogba was tearing teams apart.
Point is can Ole get the best out of this midfield? If he cant then signing more potential will just compound the problem.

Crustanoid

I'm not assuming I'm hoping. I don't have any faith in Woody at all. I agree your part in bold and think that Ed is terrible in signing players before our rivals get them and that is another thing which irritates me about him. :mad:
It’s the outright contempt for the fans that gets me. They (Ed and the board) don’t even try to sound convincing any more. There’s nothing worse than being lied to blatantly where both parties know it’s all a load of bullsh1t

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It’s the outright contempt for the fans that gets me. They (Ed and the board) don’t even try to sound convincing any more. There’s nothing worse than being lied to blatantly where both parties know it’s all a load of bullsh1t
Wonder if we will get an Ed Woodward interview while they are on tour. The hot air he produces could heat the country for a year.

romufc

Last season we saw our midfield over run by teams like Watford, West Ham.. a Manutd midfield consistently being over run... that is with Paul Pogba in it. What will happen without him in the team?

We cannot pass a ball, cannot receive under pressure. I hate to be negative but, we are so weak in the spine of the team. Defensive issues, Midfield issues, strikers misfiring.

Eric's Seagull

Wonder if we will get an Ed Woodward interview while they are on tour. The hot air he produces could heat the country for a year.
Agree with the part in bold mate :lol:.
Hoping he give an interview to announce the the sigings of "x,y and z" players. Not something along the lines of "We are still actively pursuing players who fit our philosophy to improve the squad next season, but please be patient as these things take time"

JoaquinJoaquin

Whats annoying is that potentially we have a a decent midfield - Matic is a really good player that has gone to sht and lost pace somehow, Fred was wanted by City - if it reports were right, you can guarantee Pep would have him playing like some world class midfielder by now, McTominay looks like a real talent and Pogba even if you hate him is one of the best midfielders in the world. That midfield on paper looks better or at least as good as Henderson - Fabinho -Wijnaldum. Yes its one game but the McTominay and Fred ran riot over PSG and that two months were we couldnt lose Pogba was tearing teams apart.
Point is can Ole get the best out of this midfield? If he cant then signing more potential will just compound the problem.
Let's be honest here, our desperation for an actual good midfield has led to many of our fans overrating McTominay. He will become a good squad player, nothing more and nothing less.

SaintMuppet

We need to replace Pogba with ‘energy’.
Him strolling about last year did nothing to help out the others in the midfield, it was like playing a man down.

Get some ‘synergy’ in there rather than some ‘names’ and I fancy we will miss him less than everyone thinks. It’s a team game and I’m not sure Pogba quite gets that sometimes. What we need is a midfield that compliments and supports each other.

Bondi77

I know it will not happen but I got hooked watching clips of Milinkovic-Savic last season and just thought he was so skilful and really wanted him at our club but was so deflated after watching him in the World Cup when it seemed o me that he was just played as a target man up front.
I am not going to get worked up about who we might get as it just can be so annoying when we miss out but a Savic Fernandes combo and Milenkovic as CB would do nicely.