Mike Phelan is the man

432JuanMata

Was on holidays only got around to watching the game now but bringing back Phelan was a masterclass. Manager with no experience at this level needed a winner that has been there and done it and Phelan is the man.

I think give Ole the job as if it's Poch Phelan leaves and it's another change of backroom staff it's perfect and the moment. good times

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm
Hooked on Mike Phelan
Bah bah de bah
And I'm high on believin
Bah bah de bah
That his shorts are sexy

Canagel

Yes .
if Ole is staying then Phelan must stay also. They come as one package.
If we mess with this backroom staff (Carrick and McKenna inluded) i'll be very worried.

Dante

Average bang
If we'd appoint Giggs after Moyes or after LvG, you know Phelan would have come back years earlier.

Ole was the figurehead we needed, but we could have had the same thing years earlier if we hadn't got wooed by non-United related track records.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How did he operate when Carlos Quieroz was here? IIRC the latter was more in charge of assessing the European oppositions?

In any case it appears his game management advice is vital to the manager at the helm. He seems to compliment Ole very well so far, and we all know he did with SAF too.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How did he operate when Carlos Quieroz was here? IIRC the latter was more in charge of assessing the European oppositions?

In any case it appears his game management advice is vital to the manager at the helm. He seems to compliment Ole very well so far, and we all know he did with SAF too.
That game against Arsenal has Phelan written all over it. We've done Arsenal like that for decades and I have no doubt that Phelan brought out an old playbook from when he used to work under SAF.

Trizy

There is something very reassuring about him being in the dugout.
This.

The man was right hand to the greatest manager in the world. He's seen it all and won it all. No better no.2 in world football.

Fun fact, he won the PL, FA Cup, League Cup and Charity Shield as a player and assistant manager both at Manchester United.

Kag

If we'd appoint Giggs after Moyes or after LvG, you know Phelan would have come back years earlier.

Ole was the figurehead we needed, but we could have had the same thing years earlier if we hadn't got wooed by non-United related track records.
You keep pedalling this but Solskjaer and Giggs are different people. They have different ideas; different personalities. That the outcome would be the same is unlikely and certainly not a guarantee.

Phelan being in the coaching team is reassuring (to steal a phrase) but if the bloke above him isn’t up to it then there’s only so much he can do.

wizzard

I think Ole would be successful either way. But having Mike Phelen with him is the reason why it's worked so well and quickly.

We will never find out but I wonder how things would have turned out if Phelen came in to replace Rui Faria?

Chris Amesbury

I think Ole would be successful either way. But having Mike Phelen with him is the reason why it's worked so well and quickly.

We will never find out but I wonder how things would have turned out if Phelen came in to replace Rui Faria?
Jose wouldn't have listened to Phelen.

Smores

He's a common denominator across some very nice football so you have to assume a fair bit is down to him if only for that reason.

I think we've got a bit of a brain trust situation going on at the moment with each bringing their own input.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm
Hooked on Mike Phelan
Bah bah de bah
And I'm high on believin
Bah bah de bah
That his shorts are sexy
"We've got Mike Phelan wooohooo
And tonight's gonna be a good night
Tonight's gonna be a good night
yeah tonight's gonna be a good good night..."

AJ10

IMO It doesn't matter how good your number 2 is, If the man in charge isn't going to take any ideas from him. We had Carrick/Mckenna after Rui and you saw the football they were trying to get us to play but after a few games Jose went back to parking the bus, his inability to adapt cost him his job.

Ole has his Ideas on how we should play but having shorts there has helped quicken the process up, which only happened because Ole was/is willing to listen to his Ideas.

Reactions: van der star

Revan

Assumptionman
Love him. If that fool wouldn't have sacked him and Rene, he would have survived here for another year or two.

el3mel

He's a great coach. He's far more useful to managers than having an ex player in this position who's just learning. Moyes was an idiot for letting him go. He could have helped him in his early days at least.

Champagne Football

Moyes' reign would have been a lot different had he kept Phelan as assistant.
As he drops his CV into Rochdale and Partick Thistle he must grate his teeth while watching Utd since Ole and Phelan have returned.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sacking Phelan was bad. Rene was an idiot who wanted control of the club.
My impression was that he wanted to at least be in the same position he was. Apparently Moyes offered a job which was a huge downgrade and so he was forced to leave.

Moyes should have kept all the coaches while probably adding one or two of his arse kissers.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
My impression was that he wanted to at least be in the same position he was. Apparently Moyes offered a job which was a huge downgrade and so he was forced to leave.

Moyes should have kept all the coaches while probably adding one or two of his arse kissers.
In hindsight he should have. My only guess is at the time he didn't want to recreate what Fergie had and wanted to stick to what he knew best. Obviously was a disaster. Just don't like how Rene talked crap about United after leaving. As he found out himself, management isn't as easy as coaching.

SirMattlives

I am glad Mike's there but I am not as convinced as some here that he's the world's greatest number 2. Remember watching his resigned face on the sidelines in later games against Barca where he just sort of looked helpless and without hope. I found Carlos a more convincing and thoughtful football brain and would love him back too. Failing this, I'd add Rene back into the mix if we could get him, the players he worked with seem to say great things. The group seem young enough to give us another decade of top service. All told, agree that Moysie made bad choice in deciding to bring in his own team immediately. I understand it but it was a wrong move to disassemble the winning team completely and in one swoop replace them with some of his friends who had zero record of ever winning anything. He'll say he had promises of six years so felt emboldened to do it but there you go. Not sure any other manager appointee would have done it differently, seems to be the way of the world when a manager changes clubs. Anyway, Ole is clearly smarter....welcome back both!

Grande

Was on holidays only got around to watching the game now but bringing back Phelan was a masterclass. Manager with no experience at this level needed a winner that has been there and done it and Phelan is the man.

I think give Ole the job as if it's Poch Phelan leaves and it's another change of backroom staff it's perfect and the moment. good times
Somewhere between this and the What does Mike Phelan really do?’ thread.

binary bot
Mickey Shorts, the man behind all the success. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight.

Gasolin

I am glad Mike's there but I am not as convinced as some here that he's the world's greatest number 2. Remember watching his resigned face on the sidelines in later games against Barca where he just sort of looked helpless and without hope. I found Carlos a more convincing and thoughtful football brain and would love him back too. Failing this, I'd add Rene back into the mix if we could get him, the players he worked with seem to say great things. The group seem young enough to give us another decade of top service. All told, agree that Moysie made bad choice in deciding to bring in his own team immediately. I understand it but it was a wrong move to disassemble the winning team completely and in one swoop replace them with some of his friends who had zero record of ever winning anything. He'll say he had promises of six years so felt emboldened to do it but there you go. Not sure any other manager appointee would have done it differently, seems to be the way of the world when a manager changes clubs. Anyway, Ole is clearly smarter....welcome back both!
Phelan is probably very good against most EPL sides. In the CL, Queiroz helped us go beyond to the next step by playing with very specific tactics, using false nine or AS Roma kind of tactics with Totti coming down and both wingers and full backs going into the box. That's how we ended up favoring Cristiano over Ruud.

If Phelan has taken his time to think about his football, maybe he has progressed personally as well. After all, our #1 forward, Rashford, is a kid who likes to move and is technical and bold, Martial is a winger who likes to score while Lingard likes to look for spaces to improve the flow of the ball. And they seem to try to interchange a lot, with Pogba coming to help as well. The fact that Phelan did not stop that nature makes me think that he's acknowledging football has changed and is on the train. This is maybe where Ole is showing his influence? Hard to tell.

It is true that Phelan alone was only good for the league and not the CL, as shown by our records in the CL after Queiroz left. The key point for us is to become less and less predictable and reduce crosses that are too random (I do sound too much like LVG but hell). And instead become much more unpredictable. I want us to have unpredictability because then, no defense in the world is going to know exactly how to stop us. Yet our forwards and midfielders will know how to play together. And of course, we will need to see how we defend against very good attacking side (I am taking Barcelona level, not just Liverpool).

Will Singh

I think the tactics against Arsenal had Phelan written all over it, with Carrick he is probably getting a bit more say in the midfield control hence why Matic is playing much better then under the last manager (feck writing he's name).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Lets put the band back together -- Carlo just resigned as national coach of Iran.

Champagne Football

What a fool believes.
If Queiroz can get the Madrid and Portugal gig based on what he learned at Utd then it's not that hard to believe Moyes would have had a better career having learned from Phelan. Ole has gone from Molde to Premier league wonder due to Phelan remember.