Mike Phelan | Sacked by Hull. No shorts, no job.

ricky-romeo

Phelan will make a decent manager. But he would be silly to accept the Hull job without any funds to strengthen the team.

Respect to Bruce for having left.
What is happening with them actually? No funds at all? Thought that being in the premier league gives you a lot of millions these days.

I guess despite the lack of funds, this is probably phelan's best chance of managing a premier league club at this moment. He needs a platform somewhere.

He could well go with the keane/moyes route , getting players on loan from us. I reckon CBJ and wilson/will keane might benefit with Perreira is likely to go to boro.

khoazany

What is happening with them actually? No funds at all? Thought that being in the premier league gives you a lot of millions these days.

I guess despite the lack of funds, this is probably phelan's best chance of managing a premier league club at this moment. He needs a platform somewhere.

He could well go with the keane/moyes route , getting players on loan from us. I reckon CBJ and wilson/will keane might benefit with Perreira is likely to go to boro.
I'd sell them someone like Sean Goss with a buyback clause.Reckon Will Keane will be useful for them also with his ability to hold up ball and bring others into play.

ZAGREB RED

I honestly think they'll struggle to finish in the top 10. I said that at the end of last season too, it's impossible for them to follow up what they did.
I wouldn't be surprised, the Champions tag will be heavy round their necks and I think they could really struggle, especially if they get off to a poor start. Anyone's guess how they will fare in the CL, a lot depends on their group opponents obviously.

lysglimt

Scout
Most People say that taking over Hull is Madness - well, depends on how you look at it. Yes you might get sacked from owners expecting miracles - but 4-5 wins in the first 15 or so matches and most people will understand that Phelan actually has something to offer. Noone expects anything from Hull and it wouldn't actually take that much at Hull for Phelan to greatly improve his reputation as a manager - which could lead to better jobs even if he does get the sack in 7-8 months

So maybe taking over Hull is clever from Phelan.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Most People say that taking over Hull is Madness - well, depends on how you look at it. Yes you might get sacked from owners expecting miracles - but 4-5 wins in the first 15 or so matches and most people will understand that Phelan actually has something to offer. Noone expects anything from Hull and it wouldn't actually take that much at Hull for Phelan to greatly improve his reputation as a manager - which could lead to better jobs even if he does get the sack in 7-8 months

So maybe taking over Hull is clever from Phelan.
When the takeover is complete he'll either be demoted back to assistant or sacked while the new owners will look for a foreign manager.

lysglimt

Scout
When the takeover is complete he'll either be demoted back to assistant or sacked while the new owners will look for a foreign manager.
Yup...but if Hull do well until then - his reputation will improve. And if not - people will shrug their shoulders thinking that they never had a decent chance anyway with that team.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
....|last seen, beating the scwans

Hull's got that Mickey Phelan
Whoo-o-oh that Mickey Phelan

Got to be given the job now surely

Fixed

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
a new (old) managerial great in the making?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Starting to think they'll turn us over next week? :nervous:

binary bot
People used to take the piss out of Mike but here he is showing that he's the GOAT again. One of the best to ever do it, whatever he does.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Wolves won their first 2 of 2011/12 where they had one of the worst seasons ever known in the Premier League I remember.

JPOR

Big Mike has taken a team in apparent turmoil, gotten them organised and cohesive, and has managed to string a few positive results together. Just a thought, but likely candidate to replace Klopp?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Big Mike has taken a team in apparent turmoil, gotten them organised and cohesive, and has managed to string a few positive results together. Just a thought, but likely candidate to replace Klopp?
Nah but Jose might be on a 6 month probation in which case we would be wise to keep a careful eye on the events at the KC stadium over the next 2-3 months.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
No way he leaves Hull for that shithole :smirk:

I'm absolutely delighted for him; he's always seemed a good man, and he was clearly valued at United for his work. Very pleased for Hull as well given everything that has gone on - hope they lose next weekend though :nervous:

Tiber

It may be unfair, but I have a very negative view of Phelan as a result of his media work - I hope that we smash them

Flying_Heckfish

We'll bring them crashing back to earth next weekend.

1 sub made in 2 games! Definition of a paper thin squad. Are the youths on the bench really no use or is Phelan just afraid to change things?

Could get embarrassing for them over thr course of the season...

JohnnyKills

I interviewed Phelan a couple of years ago. Came across as a bit dim to be honest, albeit a nice bloke.

Obviously has something though, otherwise Ferguson wouldn't have placed such trust in him. Hopefully he continues to do well (although can't see it to be honest).

criticalanalysis

Any Hull fans here (?) because I don't really believe that narrative.

Bruce's team have always been very organised and cohesive. Phelan has just taken over and probably given the players confidence to play their game.

Bit like Palace under Padrew last season (Pulis' hard work the season before).

Panther

Bruce's team have always been very organised and cohesive. Phelan has just taken over and probably given the players confidence to play their game.

Just looked at a Hull forum and someone said this

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that once Bruce left that if we were told at that point Phlean would be taking over most of us would've been quite underwhelmed?
Well 2 games in I'm not sure there's a name that anyone wants more. Been incredible. It's already obvious on what he's bringing to the team. With a style of play and system that we've not seen before.
The club is going to be some place to be once the Allams are gone. Feel good factor on and off the pitch, mutual love between the fans and the players and staff. Today was something special.
A few others have said they want him in but that was the most positive.

LLMU

Window closes in a weeks time. Wonder if they are going to buy or loan some players. Paper thin squad and would not survive once the season really kicks into gear.

JPOR

My comment was meant tongue-in-cheek haha. It was a cheeky dig at the scouse lot and their false-messiah

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Wolves won their first 2 of 2011/12 where they had one of the worst seasons ever known in the Premier League I remember.
Yep, they had 7 points after 3 games. Then they only got 1 point from the next 7 games and ended on 25 points in the end. So with 36 games to go, Hull is still favourites to be relegated.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Very impressed with Hull today, defended super well. Phelan doing a top job.