Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Points average over that period works out at circa 70 points over a full season. It’s a lot better than I’d anticipated, particularly as I’m struggling to recall any really good performances. Has there been a notable improvement from an Arsenal fan’s perspective?
Littered with inconsistent performances still. Home form struggling to create at times. Away form seems better, at least we are scoring back at a normal level compared to the shit show at the start of the season. West Ham game sums the season up in a nutshell to be honest. Need to improve a lot further.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They had a very good 5 match run between matchday 16-21. Someone did a breakdown of it on Reddit.
You can’t judge a manager on the second half a season. Even if he took over half way through the season it can be very misleading if the tougher fixtures are front-loaded.

Fortunately, we have a full season’s worth of games to get a much more accurate appraisal of the season Arsenal have had under Arteta.

Conclusion: Shite.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Media still in love with him.
"Superb" is an interesting way to say horrendously average. They did nothing noteworthy going forward, zero control in midfield and they weren't even that solid defensively. A genuine nothing performance. Play out the same game 10 times, and we'd win it 9 times.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You can’t judge a manager on the second half a season. Even if he took over half way through the season it can be very misleading if the tougher fixtures are front-loaded.

Fortunately, we have a full season’s worth of games to get a much more accurate appraisal of the season Arsenal have had under Arteta.

Conclusion: Shite.
Yeah, I agree.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"Superb" is an interesting way to say horrendously average. They did nothing noteworthy going forward, zero control in midfield and they weren't even that solid defensively. A genuine nothing performance. Play out the same game 10 times, and we'd win it 9 times.
I think he’s saying SR was “superb “ as an individual. I agree Arsenal, as a team, were hopeless.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think he’s saying SR was “superb “ as an individual. I agree Arsenal, as a team, were hopeless.
Ah fair enough. Still, even that is a stretch, although he was pretty good relative to the rest of his team.

Dan_F

It would genuinely be better for them to tank it and not be involved in Europe next year.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
To be honest, it feels like the same situation Ole was in a year or two ago. The big difference is that the media have decided that Arteta is a footballing visionary and can do no wrong, whereas the knives were out for Ole after every questionable result or performance.

I dont even dislike Arteta that much, its just the stark difference in how he is treated that does my nut in.
Same. After a pretty good end of the season in 19/20 where we clawed back 15(?) points to secure CL on the last day, you would think the press would at least give Ole the benefit of the doubt, but nope. A bad start where it was clear as day we were nowhere near match fitness and its right back to doom mongering and Ole being a mouth breathing cheerleader

Meanwhile Arteta cant even qualify for the EL and yet there is no pressure on him.

Since 14/15 - 18/19 Arsenal have finished above us 4 times where as we finished above them once in 17/18 so its not like theres been a huge gulf in performances between the clubs the last couple of seasons.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will be cheering them on Sunday. I want to see Arsenal vs Bala town next season :lol: .
I'm with you on this. My brother supports Arsenal and he still thinks it's embarrassing for the club to compete in the Europa League. Would love to see his reaction to them playing in the Conference League. :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well, to be fair, he isnt lying. November / December we were looking at relegation form.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's done it. He's won the meaningless games that have given him some time with the fanbase.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's scary to think that Kroenke has taken Arsenal down to almost midtable from being one of the top 2-3 in the league.

It worries me that the Glazer's would oversee this decline at United too

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's done it. He's won the meaningless games that have given him some time with the fanbase.
He was never going to be sacked this summer, that was clear weeks ago. He'll get the summer window & the start of next season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm completely out of touch, so what the heck is the Europa Conference League ?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's scary to think that Kroenke has taken Arsenal down to almost midtable from being one of the top 2-3 in the league.

I think there are two very different cases here.

Arsenal have been bogged down thanks to their fanbase as well. The impatience in getting rid of Wenger (when it's obvious that he was doing a decent job with the resources he had), emery (who was sacked thanks to some ridiculous signings) and the blind worship in Arteta by a majority of their fan base. Most managers get sacked when they lose atleast one of players or fans or board and another section among these three is on the fence. In case of Wenger - it was fans losing patience and players were hardly enthusiastic about working for him. Under Emery, think it was all three. Whereas, under Arteta, its just a section of players who've lost faith in him. A lot of their vocal fans love him, board seems ok with him as he isn't targeting bigger names.

Whereas at Utd, fans mostly saw the BS under each manager, and the board realized that they arent getting a good ROI on the money they've put in. In addition to that, most managers except maybe LVG, completely lost the dressing room as well

AltiUn

Credit where it's due, they managed it for about half the last decade. Solskjaer just seems to be ruining their plans by being somewhat competent.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Credit where it's due, they managed it for about half the last decade. Solskjaer just seems to be ruining their plans by being somewhat competent.
By that logic Fergie “ruined their plans” too. We won a shitload of trophies under the Glazers while Fergie was still at the club. Which points towards having a good manager as being a more important factor than the owners in United’s (and Arsenal’s?) success.

rotherham_red

He has brainwashed everyone by fluking a trophy and setting up cones for Pep.

The fact he was complaining about media pressure last night was hilarious. Seems to be completely up his own ass, and deluded to boot. :lol:

While Lampard was struggling as well, I found him a lot more likeable.
Lampard was even worse. He too had almost no media pressure, and complained about it, and then when someone quite rightly pointed out that he was the beneficiary of privilege (what with Uncle Harry setting up his first job in the Championship) he rejected the assertion because, and I quote "I worked hard for it", it was tone deaf beyond belief. Black managers are few and far between, despite many actually doing pretty good jobs when given the chance (e.g. Darren Moore, Sol Campbell, Chris Powell, etc). But poor Frank was the victim... It wasn't just bad, it was beyond the pale.

Cloud7

Long may he reign.
Next season he'll be convincing them that avoiding relegation was a good feat. We've been here with Moyes. I feel for the sensible Arsenal fans that can see him, and this debacle, for what it is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Next season he'll be convincing them that avoiding relegation was a good feat. We've been here with Moyes. I feel for the sensible Arsenal fans that can see him, and this debacle, for what it is.
"If somebody told us in November, December that we would have the chance to stay in the Premier League in the last game, I would have said 'you are crazy'."

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
At first I thought his arsenal was like we were under Rodgers with no Suarez. Decent team, but gormless and never more than upper midtable.

I am increasingly starting to think they may be more like we were under Hodgson though.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Up to 2nd in the only league table that matters.....the post ESR table. :lol:

AltiUn

By that logic Fergie “ruined their plans” too. We won a shitload of trophies under the Glazers while Fergie was still at the club. Which points towards having a good manager as being a more important factor than the owners in United’s (and Arsenal’s?) success.
I was joking