Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Talent wise they have a very good attacking squad so can see him doing well to a degree.

CM and back line a big issue obviously needs addressing.

edcunited1878

Arsenal have almost always played a nice way of football. But have had such a weak mentality and lack of physical bite the past decade. Their defense has also been a joke. New manager, same old shite.

TheReligion

Abusive
Jesus Arsenal are a joke. Arteta isn't even their legend, he's played more games for Everton! Ha ha bloody laughable.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Just out of curiosity, any idea where are Pep's assistants from his Barca days. Are they successful in management? Tito is the only one I remember.
Domenec Torrent managed New York City in the MLS last season and did a very good job there, think they won their conference. He left afterwards though, there's talk that he could return to City but it doesn't look like he will. Be interesting to see how he fares if he gets to take charge of a European side.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
This is not a quick fix for Arteta, it will require at least two windows to sort out the defence and probably a year to get a buy-in on his philosophy. Hopefully the fan base who have an aptitude to turn rabid very quickly will give him the time needed to fix the mess.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Think this going to end in tears. I think he'll get shafted by the board and some of the players. A couple of defeats and the fan apathy will soon come to the fore again. He's not seen as an Arsenal legend like Ljungberg, Adams, Bergkamp, Henry etc., (unless I'm mistaken) so he won't get as much slack when things are going pear-shaped.

leontas

From some of the articles I’ve read on him, he sounds like a very serious, intense, tactical kind of coach. I’m sure he would’ve taken a measured risk in accepting this job. I’m curious to know what he’s been promised by the Arsenal board that would’ve convinced him to come because it is a big rebuilding job. Still not sure how this ones gonna go. He’s had Pep sing his praises but does he realise the strength of character of the current squad and will he be backed in the market?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Arsenal have almost always played a nice way of football. But have had such a weak mentality and lack of physical bite the past decade. Their defense has also been a joke. New manager, same old shite.
Yeah they needed Big Sam or Moyes to come in with the 'ave it, feck off, Brexit mentality

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Jesus Arsenal are a joke. Arteta isn't even their legend, he's played more games for Everton! Ha ha bloody laughable.
I'm not liking this tbh, all reliable sources say he's a legit great coach in the making. When they appointed Emery I was happy they got him because I knew he wasn't capable of getting them anywhere near early AW levels, with Arteta idk, there's a chance he could prove to be just what they need.

Hopefully I'm hugely wrong though.

adexkola

Supports
I'm not liking this tbh, all reliable sources say he's a legit great coach in the making. When they appointed Emery I was happy they got him because I knew he wasn't capable of getting them anywhere near early AW levels, with Arteta idk, there's a chance he could prove to be just what they need.

No worries. He doesn't have the Caf stamp of approval.

edcunited1878

Being a coach is entirely different to being a manager of a football club. He's never had to answer to the board or have final say on lineups and managing egos.

Lampard at least had a year at Derby and Ole his time in Norway and at the bottom with Cardiff. Arteta is only going to be as good as his players and right now Arsenal are a shiteshow. Still have Ozil, Xhaka, David Luiz, want away Auba.

AshRK

He will be fine if he is backed properly. Arsenal's structure is a mess and it will take more than a good coach to fix it. Was reading Emery's interview today with Ballague and even he suggested the mentality is an issue with Arsenal players. I think they have to be patient with Arteta. He may do a good job but I owuld be surprised if he finds a quick solution. As I said yesterday, Arteta has more to lose by accepting this job than Arsenal FC.

joseph_p

Can you imagine a shock this guys is in for when he gets a little bit of time at the club compared to what he got used to at Man City? From the unlimited funds down to the DOF to the brilliant coaching structure and top class players....all the way to the shambles of Arsenal. No funds, joke structure in place all the way to the players. Sad actually. Not to mention the pressure of expectations that he's bound to fail to fulfill.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting appointment. As highly rated as he is, I do feel it’s a desperate roll of the dice by Arsenal’s board. They’ve struggled to attract anyone with any pedigree at all and have had to take a very risky appointment.

I imagine he has a free 6 months til the end of the season where the board will just want to see some form of progress. Stylistically he will want to implement a possession based football somewhat similar to Pep’s. With the players at his disposal it shouldn’t take too long to see this begin to happen. The defence will he an issue all season though until they bring in new faces. Tierney is good but currently injury prone. Bellerin can be upgraded but the two Cb’s are the priority.

Hopefully he’s given time and some money to change it. He’s quite likeable so hope he does well.

Ancient Of Days

Arteta would look so weird as a manager in my eyes. He would also be under huge pressure at Arsenal, the squad they have has kind of started to fall apart recently.
He just needs to talk about tradition, come up with some catchy nick names and not park in Wenger's old car space and he'll be fine

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Arteta would look so weird as a manager in my eyes. He would also be under huge pressure at Arsenal, the squad they have has kind of started to fall apart recently.
They have looked more rudderless than us in recent times.

This is not a quick fix for Arteta, it will require at least two windows to sort out the defence and probably a year to get a buy-in on his philosophy. Hopefully the fan base who have an aptitude to turn rabid very quickly will give him the time needed to fix the mess.
At the very least 2 windows.

I do not rate their midfield either, Xhaka is stealing a living, Ozil is their version of Sanchez. Player on massive wages that the club needs to move on.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He might turn out to be a great coach but he won't be able to do much because of the shitc**ts who run the club. Hiding to nothing.

UpWithRivers

Its no coincidence that we have Lampard, Ole and now Arteta. Its a shift in the boards game plan. And the reason being is that they are cheap, easily attainable, will get away with offering them less funds and they will be given more leeway with the fans. They all realize that they can no longer compete with City domestically and PSG, Barca, Real etc in Europe. They only way is pure luck ala Liverpool. By which I mean one in 3 decades that everything just drops into place. Otherwise they need to spend north of 500 mill to catch up and even then its no guarantee. Most clubs boards are now happy competing for fourth, keeping the finances tight and balancing the fans expectations so they still spend the cash. Winning anything is a nice to have. A possible outlier but not part of the strategy.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Why would you hire Mikel Arteta to run your football club?

I don't get it.
Because they are a clueless Arsenal board and they hope he's learned "secret sauce" from Pep.

Being a coach is entirely different to being a manager of a football club. He's never had to answer to the board or have final say on lineups and managing egos.

Lampard at least had a year at Derby and Ole his time in Norway and at the bottom with Cardiff. Arteta is only going to be as good as his players and right now Arsenal are a shiteshow. Still have Ozil, Xhaka, David Luiz, want away Auba.
100%. And Arsenal is not a well-oiled machine that Barca was when Pep got the chance. Arsenal is a circus that requires a seasoned manager to fix it. Arteta will be totally lost and clueless about where to even start fixing things.

Last edited:

Edy2

On the face of it looks to me like a poor appointment.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
This is an appointment I can get behind, he's student of the game and I think has the personality to lead the club. I hope we sort out our player recruitment and back him fully. He was definitely the one I wanted when Wenger left, I think his time with Pep will have done him a lot of good.

Interesting appointment. As highly rated as he is, I do feel it’s a desperate roll of the dice by Arsenal’s board. They’ve struggled to attract anyone with any pedigree at all and have had to take a very risky appointment.
I think he's someone who left one hell of an impression at the club when he was a player. You could see then he was a leader and it was very impressive how he almost seemed to become Wenger's No.2, when we signed new players he and his wife went out of his way to help players and their families settle in. I think the club acted too slowly because by the time we seemed to offer him a position Pep had already approached him and he had agreed to join with him.

It was also unfortunate that he only signed for us at the tail end of his career when his legs were going. Last time him and Ramsey were on form was the time imo we had a properly functioning midfield.

What's the brexit mentality?
That Brexit means Brexit

NewGlory

What exactly did Ole achieve in his first year?
Short answer: he's done better than Unai Emery did with a better squad.

Longer answer:

Managed to bring back joy to the club and gave us amazing games like the one against PSG, City, and Spurs, all along laying the foundation for a rebuild by:
1. cleaning out much of dead weight
2. introducing youngsters in a tangible way
3. Improving existing players
4. Buying 3 players, all of which worked out, so far. Arguably - we bought too few, but at least whomever he bought none were flops. Which is way more than we can say about Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho before him.

In reality, his one big problem is inconsistency, but that is very much expected when you are doing a major rebuild. Other than that - he's doing a lot of positive, without creating any drama. Which takes some skill considering the mess of a situation he inherited.

We'll see if Arteta can achieve as much. I am certain, the answer is - no.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Shocking decision. No reason at all to be optimistic about this. It's like being optimistic about a roulette table in Vegas. This is nothing but a blind gamble. He has no managerial experience whatsoever, there's no track record to look at. Clowns comparing him to Pep or Zidane should know they both managed a B team before managing the A team at a big club. Unbelievable that Arteta's first job is Arsenal. Even Chelsea weren't daft enough to let Lampard in through the door until they've seen what he's done at Derby. Fuming!

adexkola

Supports
Shocking decision. No reason at all to be optimistic about this. It's like being optimistic about a roulette table in Vegas. This is nothing but a blind gamble. He has no managerial experience whatsoever, there's no track record to look at. Clowns comparing him to Pep or Zidane should know they both managed a B team before managing the A team at a big club. Unbelievable that Arteta's first job is Arsenal. Even Chelsea weren't daft enough to let Lampard in through the door until they've seen what he's done at Derby. Fuming!
At what level of the game is it ok to manage for the first time without experience? And were Derby daft to let Lampard in through the door without seeing what he could do with Bristol City, or Celtic??

It's not about comparing him to Pep or Zidane, it's acknowledging that there are multiple valid ways of proving oneself worthy of the opportunity at a big club. There is no guarantee that Mikel will succeed, just as there was no guarantee that a more qualified Emery would succeed. And given that he has endorsements from Wenger, Pochettino and Guardiola (not mugs when it comes to an understanding of what is required)... Maybe everyone should stop pretending they have any idea as to what items in a manager are highly correlated with success, and just chill the feck out?

NewGlory

At what level of the game is it ok to manage for the first time without experience? And were Derby daft to let Lampard in through the door without seeing what he could do with Bristol City, or Celtic??

It's not about comparing him to Pep or Zidane, it's acknowledging that there are multiple valid ways of proving oneself worthy of the opportunity at a big club. There is no guarantee that Mikel will succeed, just as there was no guarantee that a more qualified Emery would succeed. And given that he has endorsements from Wenger, Pochettino and Guardiola (not mugs when it comes to an understanding of what is required)... Maybe everyone should stop pretending they have any idea as to what items in a manager are highly correlated with success, and just chill the feck out?
It's hard to take your argument seriously when it is based on namedropping and impenetrable logic of "sometimes people win jackpot in lotteries". Great, you keep building sand castles and we'll see who was right, in about a year.

adexkola

Supports
It's hard to take your argument seriously when it is based on namedropping and impenetrable logic of "sometimes people win jackpot in lotteries". Great, you keep building sand castles and we'll see who was right, in about a year.
There are valid questions I've posed with regards to how to properly evaluate someone as worthy of a managerial position. Feel free to answer those. Not interested in point scoring in a years time, if that's your fall back then jog on

NewGlory

There are valid questions I've posed with regards to how to properly evaluate someone as worthy of a managerial position. Feel free to answer those. Not interested in point scoring in a years time, if that's your fall back then jog on
@edcunited1878 already wrote a very thoughtful explanation for this https://www.redcafe.net/goto/post?id=25065304 There is no way whatsoever of qualifying for a managerial job of any large organization (esp. major club) without any such previous experience. Especially when said club is in shambles and needs vast experience navigating the rebuild. He is unqualified, plain and simple, any chances of success here would be equal to that of winning a lottery. Possible - yes? Likelihood - extremely low.

It's like appointing somebody who was a secretary to Microsoft's CEO as the CEO of Google and then asking - why would it not work. Because secretaries, generally speaking, are not doing CEO's jobs, even if they are in close proximity, and maybe you should have some relevant managerial experience, before you try to run a major organization.

Last edited:

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal

Why is it our business what experience managers of lower league clubs have? You can surely tell the difference between what's at stake if they get it wrong, between big clubs and small clubs. The point is, no seriously run top club would behave this way. Big clubs don't take risks like this, there's too much at stake. This is an appointment which is so reckless that for all intents signals that the board has pretty much given up on the club. The guy has no experience whatsoever, and they're just hoping and praying he succeeds.

Arsenal's biggest problem is a lack of defensive structure, lack of organization and defensive players that wave the white flag at every available opportunity. The big idea that we have is to get a second-rate rookie from Man City, a club with their own long-standing defensive problems? What makes anybody think Arteta could solve any of this? This is just a gamble which doesn't have any justification.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why is it our business what experience managers of lower league clubs have? You can surely tell the difference between what's at stake if they get it wrong, between big clubs and small clubs. The point is, no seriously run top club would behave this way. Big clubs don't take risks like this, there's too much at stake. This is an appointment which is so reckless that for all intents signals that the board has pretty much given up on the club. The guy has no experience whatsoever, and they're just hoping and praying he succeeds.

Arsenal's biggest problem is a lack of defensive structure, lack of organization and defensive players that wave the white flag at every available opportunity. The big idea that we have is to get a second-rate rookie from Man City, a club with their own long-standing defensive problems? What makes anybody think Arteta could solve any of this? This is just a gamble which doesn't have any justification.
You've basically done what we done with Ole, but at least our excuse was that he was brought in as a caretaker manager to begin with & was never expected to be the permanent successor. From a fans pov, I don't understand why Arsenal would make him the permanent appointment already. You're right that it looks suspect, but the appointment does make sense from a board pov.

As your board has surely observed from us, if the manager has enough of a sentimental connection with the club, the fans will overlook them having no real qualifications, give way more leeway to bad performances/results that the fan base wouldn't tolerate under anyone else (Under Ole, we've had relegation form for months, worst season start for 33 years etc. but you wouldn't know it judging by the fans), allowing the board to successfully lower the expectations/investment at the club whilst they are there. You've got to admit, that looks pretty enticing to your board...

Last edited: