Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Djemba-Djemba

Yup. With quite a few people on here drinking the kool aid. I even thought their rope a dope wins over good teams towards the end of last season were being wildly overhyped. Relying on David Luiz to do 90 minutes heroic last-ditch defending is not a sustainable strategy to win football matches.
Yeah totally agree.

I think they played genuinely well once ? Maybe the final?

But other than that it was the type of unsustainable wins Di Matteo was fluking in 2012.

Their results are awful and the performances even worse

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
The kids are winning him games in Europe, I would just play them in a league game and see what happens.

tomaldinho1

They are just so reliant on Auba - he's stopped firing and suddenly they can't buy a goal. Ironically I think they should use our tactics, they have very few top level players but still have enough quality to be much higher than they are - should just sit in and use their front line pace until they can get better players for the style Arteta wants to play.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Genuinely think if Arteta was welsh and was plucked from Sunderland or something, he’d not only have never got all the press rimming but he wouldn’t have the arsenal job in the first place.

Everyone was desperate to hail him as some secret genius based solely on the fact he used to put the training cones out for Pep Guardiola.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
So '49 and out' again for Arsenal?
His record doesn’t look that bad with the cup results included.

In the PL it’s 13 wins, 7 draws and 12 losses. (1.44 ppg, 40.6% win rate).

Emery’s league record was 25 wins, 13 draws, 13 losses. (1.73 ppg, 49% win rate).

Wenger’s last two seasons were 42 wins, 12 draws, 22 losses. (1.82 ppg, 55.3% win rate).

Gasolin

His record doesn’t look that bad with the cup results included.

In the PL it’s 13 wins, 7 draws and 12 losses. (1.44 ppg, 40.6% win rate).

Emery’s league record was 25 wins, 13 draws, 13 losses. (1.73 ppg, 49% win rate).

Wenger’s last two seasons were 42 wins, 12 draws, 22 losses. (1.82 ppg, 55.3% win rate).
Well maybe there's always a story behind each number, but it would be interesting to see if they lose against Southampton and Everton, or not.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Well maybe there's always a story behind each number, but it would be interesting to see if they lose against Southampton and Everton, or not.
If they fail to win either he’ll get the chop surely?

Gasolin

If they fail to win either he’ll get the chop surely?
I was hoping he could go until the game against Chelsea at least. That's another big game and maybe the motivation will be there? Let's be honest, the players are probably not executing something correctly at this point. A manager can only share his ideas but this is beyond weird.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What’s happening with Saliba? Isn’t he highly rated?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This is peak "grass is always greener" :lol:
Nah not really. Tierney is younger granted but more experienced given he is an established International. Captained Celtic (so not going to fold like a cheap suit). From a footballing perspective, from what I have seen both offensively and defensively would be an upgrade on Shaw.

In my humble opinion of course ;)

meamth

Seems to be a common thing, where Ole's career-long "nice guy" image means he's a smiling moron who just pats everyone on their heads and tells them "good job" regardless of how we do.
Makes me wonder, how was Fergie in his early days at the club? Was he like all positive guy, or straight out intimidating Fergie?

Or trophies made you change into a scary person?

Vault Dweller

I watched Match of the Day earlier from last night and they never even spoke about the run they are on or how dire some of the stats are under him. Just said he needs Luiz back and that he needs to buck up.

:houllier: The easy ride he has been given is absolutely baffling, even when including a cup win.

Gasolin

I watched Match of the Day earlier from last night and they never even spoke about the run they are on or how dire some of the stats are under him. Just said he needs Luiz back and that he needs to buck up.

:houllier: The easy ride he has been given is absolutely baffling, even when including a cup win.
I think those things don't get obvious until MD 19.
Then at MD 19, we might surprise a few too. I think I would wait until that moment for any comments.

Vault Dweller

Nah not really. Tierney is younger granted but more experienced given he is an established International. Captained Celtic (so not going to fold like a cheap suit). From a footballing perspective, from what I have seen both offensively and defensively would be an upgrade on Shaw.

In my humble opinion of course ;)
Agreed, I love Tierney as a player and would love him here. And no, that's not Scottish bias since I favour Rangers :D

Halftrack

Makes me wonder, how was Fergie in his early days at the club? Was he like all positive guy, or straight out intimidating Fergie?

Or trophies made you change into a scary person?
From what I remember from his books, he mellowed out over the years. He was very thunder and fury in his early career, but as the world evolved, so did he. He was very good at tailoring his approach to the individual players.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’m pretty sure both his parents died recently which obviously has interrupted his progress. Last I read was he was going on loan in January.

AshRK

As I said above his management this season has been nothing but disaster.

It is clear his preferred starting 11 players are completely out of form and yet he doesn't shake things up by bringing in some young players from the europa games. Why can't you play Balagoun or Nelson or Smith Rowe or Willock. Even the likes of Cedric or Mari could be played instead of Holding. However, if he feels the players in PL are undroppable then why don't you play the likes of auba in a game or two in europa and get him to score some and get back his form. I don't even understand what he is trying to do.

If I were saliba or balagoun even I would be fuming at this manager and would want out of this mess. Imagine doing so well on thursday (yes it is dundalk) and then completely dropped from the squad. He is not seeing the obvious and will pay the price. He is just sabotaging his managerial career. If I were a club owner I will not hire him as a manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't get Arsenal's thinking with that. They signed him in summer 2019 but loaned him back to France which is fair enough and he had a good season for St Etienne.

Arsenal get him this summer and not only don't register him for premier league up to January but don't even put him in europa squad either. :annoyed: Guy did cost 30m and he played with Fofana who's slotted into Leicester team with ease.

As ever with an underachieving club the transfer policy does look like it's been done on a fag packet the last few years.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Genuinely can't remember the last time a manager was as overrated as Arteta in a few months. From Ian Wright saying that United'd be title contenders with him to Telegraph labelling him a generational manager. It was all a bit stupid.

TheRedHearted

You're not seeing the bigger picture that @GoonerBear brilliantly depicted. This game doesn't matter that much. Lot of people want United to fail, us included so it gets amplified when you do. Many posts are filled with reactionnary anger and that's understandable after that Leipzig high (amongst other things) but Arteta is doing a very good job. Won't make you any less of a United fan to recognize it.
You sure?

ti vu

Result can be overturned with a run of positive result as the league is very close this year and it's still early in the season. However, sounds like Arteta already lost the dressing room, which is the writing on the wall for any managers.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Genuinely can't remember the last time a manager was as overrated as Arteta in a few months. From Ian Wright saying that United'd be title contenders with him to Telegraph labelling him a generational manager. It was all a bit stupid.
Has he said anything in the past few days about Arteta? He's constantly been going at Ole on his show (Kelly and Wright) when we lose yet praises Arteta nonstop.

RashyForPM

Disciplinary issues at that club are really bad. How can 3 players protest against their manager and coaches like that for every single Arsenal fan to see? There’ll be no consequences as well. I’m sure over here, Donny, Deano and Axel are fuming at hardly ever getting a game, but they would never ever do that. Same with Giroud at Chelsea, Foden at City and Alli at Spurs.

Essentially, Arsenal’s playing staff are filled with poor, mid-table players bar some who also have attitude problems. Almost like they have 25 Pogba’s, but each with far less footballing ability. When you put it that way, they really are in loads of trouble.

At this point, Arteta’s job is untenable. However, who do they hire to replace him? Any disciplinarian with an ounce of managerial ability, like Allegri, Poch, Nuno and Rodgers will never come. Maybe Potter?

Heck, they should hire me to run the club. Even though I’d try to run it into the ground, it’d still be at a lower rate than the powers that be are doing at the moment :lol:.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
At this point, Arteta’s job is untenable. However, who do they hire to replace him? Any disciplinarian with an ounce of managerial ability, like Allegri, Poch, Nuno and Rodgers will never come. Maybe Potter?

Heck, they should hire me to run the club. Even though I’d try to run it into the ground, it’d still be at a lower rate than the powers that be are doing at the moment :lol:.
Either Ralph Hasenhüttl or Eddie Howe. Both are cheaper and proven survivalist.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's always the French players that kick up a fuss innit.
They're more dramatic. Griezmann, Pogba and now Pepe, Guendongan, Saliba. Who is Saliba anyway and who is Guendongan.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I don’t really understand why there is a section of the Arsenal fanbase that’s so loyal to him. It’s not like he’s a legend of the club. He was signed as a stopgap signing to ostensibly replace Cesc and was a regular in the team for three seasons when Arsenal were in decline.

It seems weird but Özil’s playing impact and legacy at Arsenal is much greater than Arteta’s.

Disciplinary issues at that club are really bad. How can 3 players protest against their manager and coaches like that for every single Arsenal fan to see? There’ll be no consequences as well. I’m sure over here, Donny, Deano and Axel are fuming at hardly ever getting a game, but they would never ever do that. Same with Giroud at Chelsea, Foden at City and Alli at Spurs.
Maybe Arteta’s man management is just horrible? The treatment of Özil has clearly been terrible and Arteta’s reaction to the Pépé and Xhaka red cards seemed like clear scapegoating.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Yup. With quite a few people on here drinking the kool aid. I even thought their rope a dope wins over good teams towards the end of last season were being wildly overhyped. Relying on David Luiz to do 90 minutes heroic last-ditch defending is not a sustainable strategy to win football matches.
I think when we beat them after lockdown, it showed they weren't as strong as many thought, too many teams gave them to much respect (as we did in the first half) but the minute we began trying to take the game to them and stepping up the pressure, they crumpled.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think when we beat them after lockdown, it showed they weren't as strong as many thought, too many teams gave them to much respect (as we did in the first half) but the minute we began trying to take the game to them and stepping up the pressure, they crumpled.
Indeed.

They won FA Cup and blind some people but they are forgetting the other teams like Chelsea & United were focusing on the league not FA Cup. Arteta rested his players in the league while Ole & Lampard played their strong team in the league.

Arteta had the exact same players as Emery plus additional players like Partey, Gabriel & Willian which on paper should be better than what Emery had but Arteta is doing worse than Emery.

Players under Arteta never show improvement compared to Emery. Lacazette scored 13 goals & 8 assists in the league under Emery, last season he had 10 goals & 4 assists. Aubameyang scored 22 goals & 5 assists in the league under Emery, last season he had 22 goals & 3 assists. No ones improve.

RashyForPM

Maybe Arteta’s man management is just horrible? The treatment of Özil has clearly been terrible and Arteta’s reaction to the Pépé and Xhaka red cards seemed like clear scapegoating.
Right, if Pepe and Xhaka can’t take some harsh truths - actually no, ‘unacceptable’ isn’t a harsh truth when talking about what they did, ‘useless bellends’ would be more accurate, then they shouldn’t be footballers. They should be scapegoated, and they should take it well because they did cost Arsenal those games. About time the useless players at that club took public flak for their mindless actions. At least our players do most of the time, which I’m happy to say. I’ll give you Ozil. Freezing him out will cost Arteta his job.

Also, you have to look at other clubs. Mourinho threw Ndombele and Alli under the bus, and Ndombele has taken it well to come back firing into the XI, while Alli has just kept quiet. Shaw also came back well after Mourinho slammed and ostracised him throughout the 2016-17 season. Why can’t the brats at Arsenal like Saliba, Guendouzi and Pepe do the same?