Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

AshRK

Not sure about this appointment. They need someone who can completely change their mentality. Might sound weird but Jose would have been a good option for short term. Bring a winning mentality and act like a big club. Their mentality for almost a decade has been shambolic. Big teams just come to their yard and take a piss out of them. How many times have we seen them getting countered, it's like they do not learn. I feel Jose could have changed the mentality.

Arteta, for him to be successful, needs to be backed big time.I am not sure how he can coach the uncoachable players Arsenal have. I think a manager like Allegri would be a better fit. They need a manager who can tactically match the big teams.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Arteta? That is a big step up, unless it is on an interim basis. Arteta should at least apply his trade at a smaller club first and see how he performs. Arsenal suffers from having a week mentality. They should have went for hard men like Simione or Ancelotti. If they wanted to keep their identity, then Rose or Erik Ten Hag

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Why is Arteta highly rated?
Not sure how highly rated Arteta is, but he doesn't seem to mind working with the current setup. Plus he's played for 5 years under Wenger and spent several seasons on the bench next to Pep. Not great reasons I know, but appears desperate times call for desperate measures. Would be a total gamble imo.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Why is Arteta highly rated?

feck knows. We're in big trouble, lack confidence, have loads of injuries, not much cash and they are thinking of giving to a complete rookie? Yeah...sounds like a great idea. One can only assume he's coming out with a cunning plan during the interviews.

Irwin99

Geez, they're expecting a rookie manager to come in and change this situation? It's hard to know what the expectations are for him when they're competing against clubs who have far better stability and financial muscle, he's going to need to pull off a miracle to get this team anywhere. It looks doomed from the start (watch as he now does an Ole and wins his first ten games)

simplyared

Ljungberg was a pundit for a while in Sweden. Didn't impress me in that role. Giving him the manager's job was crazy. A very good player for Arsenal and country. Always put a good shift in but management material at such a top level. Never!
No idea on Arteta. But I'll say this I wouldn't be jumping up and down if I was a gunner.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Ljungberg was a pundit for a while in Sweden. Didn't impress me in that role. Giving him the manager's job was crazy. A very good player for Arsenal and country. Always put a good shift in but management material at such a top level. Never!
No idea on Arteta. But I'll say this I wouldn't be jumping up and down if I was a gunner.
Freddie had some experience in Wolfsburg and with the youth team, Arteta only has City. Not sure how formative it is to be sat next to the best manager in the world destroying a league with unlimited cash. He's in for a stark contrast.

Tel074

Any top manager would be mental to go near Arsenal . They have nothing apart from a front 3 . Their midfield and defence is pathetic and their fan base isn't much better

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Allegri waiting for PSG next year, insiders in Italy say.

RedDevilRoshi

Shows you that no decent manager that is presently available wants that job. They are now making a move for a guy who has no managerial experience. Arteta is a massive gamble.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Shows you that no decent manager that is presently available wants that job. They are now making a move for a guy who has no managerial experience. Arteta is a massive gamble.
All hinging on him being Pepito. I do think he’s an interesting choice though. Would be interesting to know the budget he’d get.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
If Arsenal are planning on Arteta then that seriously shows they have no ambition.

RedDevilUnited369

Surely he’s clearly coming in to rebuild the squad much like Ole is at Utd.

A “cultural reboot”...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Surely he’s clearly coming in to rebuild the squad much like Ole is at Utd.

A “cultural reboot”...
Is he even the right guy for "cultural reboot"?

He played for Arsenal when Wenger was on the decline and had been for a number of years, they hadn't quite reached it's peak of demise but it was nothing to write home about. Is Arteta even a club legend? Imo, no!

Compare that to Ole, treble winner, scorer of the treble winning goal, played in one of the greatest United teams of all time. Frank Lampard similarly, played for the best Chelsea team of all time, maybe even their best player of all time.

Unless he's shown some serious managerial promise other than being next to Pep Guardiola then I don't see what he can bring. I would argue he was part of a "loser" culture at Arsenal, the "Champions League" is enough mentality.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Is he even the right guy for "cultural reboot"?

He played for Arsenal when Wenger was on the decline and had been for a number of years, they hadn't quite reached it's peak of demise but it was nothing to write home about. Is Arteta even a club legend? Imo, no!

Compare that to Ole, treble winner, scorer of the treble winning goal, played in one of the greatest United teams of all time. Frank Lampard similarly, played for the best Chelsea team of all time, maybe even their best player of all time.

Unless he's shown some serious managerial promise other than being next to Pep Guardiola then I don't see what he can bring. I would argue he was part of a "loser" culture at Arsenal, the "Champions League" is enough mentality.
tbh ole has shown nothing as manager before the United job and has shown nothing while being here. Arteta has received huge praise from the likes of Guardiola, Poch and Wenger all saying he will be great manager

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Surprised that they are not going back to Wenger. Cant do worse than the current lot

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
tbh ole has shown nothing as manager before the United job and has shown nothing while being here. Arteta has received huge praise from the likes of Guardiola, Poch and Wenger all saying he will be great manager
He was at least a league champion in Norway. He can also claim to be a club legend. Praise means very little in practice, not everyone who works with top coaches is a guaranteed success. Arsenal are taking a big risk, especially as they have shown the board will give minimal financial support to the manager.

lordbaelish

Supports
Arsenal
People hoping he would fail thinks he's a bad choice i understand.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
He was at least a league champion in Norway. He can also claim to be a club legend. Praise means very little in practice, not everyone who works with top coaches is a guaranteed success. Arsenal are taking a big risk, especially as they have shown the board will give minimal financial support to the manager.
Arteta has been Guardiolas right hand man for years now. Off course it’s a risk. But risks is the only way arsenal will get to the top. If they say we just gonna go for the obvious managers/layers. Those guys have options, so they have to go further down the list and get proven decent player. We know that won’t get them anywhere. Anchelotti is very much in van gaals position. A top manager who has been at top for long time and end of his career. I really doubt he has it in him for the mess Arsenal is in.

Teja

I don't think Pep is the type to tolerate a fool. The fact that Arteta's been working with Pep adds that air of authenticity. We'll see how it goes once he actually gets the job I guess.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Any top manager would be mental to go near Arsenal . They have nothing apart from a front 3 . Their midfield and defence is pathetic and their fan base isn't much better
Agreed. As bad as our situation is, theirs is actually worse and seeing as their fans seemingly expect nothing but champagne football any manager is pretty much doomed to fail with that group of players.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Agreed. As bad as our situation is, theirs is actually worse and seeing as their fans seemingly expect nothing but champagne football any manager is pretty much doomed to fail with that group of players.
you guys are talking like fans. Arsenal is one of the top jobs in world football and it’s for many reasons perfect time to take over. The expectations are lower than ever and their desperation is higher than ever. Someone like Jose would exploit situation like this. You come in and improve the team and use the media to get more funds. Fans will side with you.

TheReligion

Abusive
Really don't get this appointment. It's like Everton and Arsenal have magically swapped their new managerial appointments due to a clerical error.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's mad. The season's basically over, keep Freddie until the summer when you can get a decent manager.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
With Ancelotti and Allegri both available, Arse fans can’t be happy...

RedDevilRoshi

Very surprised with that as it’s a massive gamble. Thought they would have gone for either Benitez or Ancelotti.