Mike's Sheep Draft

Enigma_87

You know who
Only one?? I'd consider at least 4 to be
Unless I'm missing couple of names there and not counting keepers I could find only one GOAT that can be considered in that tier and couple that are borderline there.

Round 3 Pick 1 Results

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Round 3 Pick 1 Results

GSTQ - FAIL (Frank Rijkaard)
Sjor - FAIL (Philipp Lahm)
Jim - PASS
Pnut - FAIL (Frank Rijkaard)
The Stain - FAIL (Philipp Lahm)
Enigma - FAIL (Lilian Thuram)
Chesterlestreet - FAIL (Lilian Thuram)
Marty - PASS
Moby - FAIL (No Selection Sent)
King Kendrick - FAIL (Ineligible Pick)
Isotope - PASS
Pat Mustard - FAIL (Lilian Thuram)
Zlatan - FAIL (Ineligible Pick)
EAP - FAIL (Philipp Lahm)
Indnyc - FAIL (Philipp Lahm)
Physiocrat - PASS

Block List: Billy Bremner, Eusebio, Philipp Lahm, Michael Laudrup, Denis Law, Stanley Matthews, Paul McGrath, Pavel Nedved, Marc Overmars, Frank Rijkaard, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes, Lilian Thuram, Lev Yashin

Please send your second picks within the next 12 hours.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, the pool isn't bad at all. Problem is avoiding blocks (of course).

Probably something I've overlooked too - could be some gems out there on non-obvious teams. But searching for the non-obvious here is going to be bloody time consuming.

EDIT Feck you, Mustard!

EDIT 2 And you, Enigma.

Last edited:

Marty1968

Boom!!! A pass and Thuram, Lahm and Rijkaard all blocked (and one of those I didn't realise were eligible!). Happy days!!

A few other greats would've been eligible had it not been for the "can't of won anything" rule.

Enigma_87

You know who
Boom!!! A pass and Thuram, Lahm and Rijkaard all blocked (and one of those I didn't realise were eligible!). Happy days!!

A few other greats would've been eligible had it not been for the "can't of won anything" rule.
Rijkaard was the GOAT I was referring to. Thuram and Lahm are IMO the tier below the likes of couple of other RB's in all time rankings.

Probably something I've overlooked too - could be some gems out there on non-obvious teams. But searching for the non-obvious here is going to be bloody time consuming.

EDIT Feck you, Mustard!

EDIT 2 And you, Enigma.
Thought he was relatively safe considering the final was not played, yet obviously you and Pat dig a bit deeper...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thought he was relatively safe considering the final was not played, yet obviously you and Pat dig a bit deeper...
Not sure about that...but to expand on this is probably better left for later (after this round has finished).

For now, I'll just say that no specific conditions (with regard to appearances and so forth) are stated for this:

"...played for a European club team that were runners up in three or more competitions in the same season without winning a competiton in that season..." could be interpreted to mean that any player who was a member of the first team squad in the relevant season is eligible.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

EDIT Feck you, Mustard!

EDIT 2 And you, Enigma.
I was genuinely optimistic that with the criteria being so research-intensive and taking place over the weekend that I'd be one of the only ones cocooned in the house on a Saturday night spending hour upon hour on Wikipedia. To compound things I somehow misread the fecking criteria and thought that Super Cups don't count rather than Super Cups do count, so I'm gong to have do a lot of it all over again :rolleyes:. Damn you both!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
OOoohh.... THis is insane. Wait until you see to believe it.
Yeah, I know (I think).

Didn't want to mention it above, but I was shocked to see that list posted. I was trying to be half clever with my pick - 'cause I was 99% sure others would get blocked.

Might be that some have overestimated * the difficulty of the actual criteria here (see above).

Anyway, will be fun to see the revealed picks. And congrats.

* Misinterpreted, perhaps.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I was genuinely optimistic that with the criteria being so research-intensive and taking place over the weekend that I'd be one of the only ones cocooned in the house on a Saturday night spending hour upon hour on Wikipedia. To compound things I somehow misread the fecking criteria and thought that Super Cups don't count rather than Super Cups do count, so I'm gong to have do a lot of it all over again :rolleyes:. Damn you both!
Unfortunately I was stuck in work with bugger all to do, so researched about 30 names taking a good few hours, and then went for the most obvious after all that :lol:

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Ye, i gave up researching after a good while. Didn't know Rijkaard and Thuram were available and that's ok.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Also gave up pretty soon and didn't even know about Rijkaard/Thuram.
+all the players I want for my formation/tactics weren't available in this round (I think :nervous:)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah, I know (I think).

Didn't want to mention it above, but I was shocked to see that list posted. I was trying to be half clever with my pick - 'cause I was 99% sure others would get blocked.

Might be that some have overestimated * the difficulty of the actual criteria here (see above).

Anyway, will be fun to see the revealed picks. And congrats.

* Misinterpreted, perhaps.
Don't worry. Mine is not that mind blowing, mate. Hahaha.. Just wanted to spice things up.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Don't worry. Mine is not that mind blowing, mate. Hahaha.. Just wanted to spice things up.
Heh! Nevermind - I just realized that I got things completely mixed up. There's a reason for it - but it makes no practical difference. Will clarify when the round's over.

Anyway, as you were - nobody landed any GOATs (we hope).

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Unfortunately I was stuck in work with bugger all to do, so researched about 30 names taking a good few hours, and then went for the most obvious after all that :lol:
At least you were getting paid for it! I was just cabbaged on my sofa on a fecking Saturday night falling deeper and deeper into a Wikipedia wormhole. Although I've got to admit I find that strangely hypnotic and relaxing after a while :nervous:

Round 3 Pick 2 Results

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Round 3 Pick 2 Results

GSTQ - FAIL (Ineligible Pick)
Sjor - PASS
Pnut - FAIL (Player already Drafted)
The Stain - PASS
Enigma - PASS
Chesterlestreet - PASS
Moby - PASS
King Kendrick - PASS
Pat Mustard - PASS
Zlatan - FAIL (Ineligbile Pick)
EAP - FAIL (Player already Drafted)
Indnyc - PASS

Please send your 3rd picks within the next 12 hours

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ok, so building on what Chester said earlier

For now, I'll just say that no specific conditions (with regard to appearances and so forth) are stated for this:

"...played for a European club team that were runners up in three or more competitions in the same season without winning a competiton in that season..." could be interpreted to mean that any player who was a member of the first team squad in the relevant season is eligible.
Or could be interpreted as played for a team that once came runners up.

the round doesn’t state that the player had to play for the team at the time/same as their runner up year.

so I thought I could use a draft loop hole...
Barca met the criteria... Romário once played for Barca... choose Romário.

no?

edit to add. I sent my Romário pick before even reading chesters post

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Ok, so building on what Chester said earlier

Or could be interpreted as played for a team that once came runners up.

the round doesn’t state that the player had to play for the team at the time/same as their runner up year.

so I thought I could use a draft loop hole...
Barca met the criteria... Romário once played for Barca... choose Romário.

no?

edit to add. I sent my Romário pick before even reading chesters post
That's not how the round works. The player has to have played in the season where they had 3 runners up without winning anything.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
It didn’t initially say that
You were not alone Zlatan

Mike, if you read this carefully, it says pick a player for a European club that were.......

So it can mean that he should have played for that European club at some point rather than during that particular season.

Is that indeed a hidden clue? Or does the player should have played during that season :D
Mike struck it down pretty soon of course :lol:

zlatan and scrappy :lol:
Fecking wiki screwed me

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You could pick basically anyone otherwise, the loophole people were talking about was that they could be a part of the squad but not played.
I sent my pick before I even read the convo in the thread. I thought I’d try my luck with the wording is all

Round 3 Pick 3 Results and Summary

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Round 3 Pick 3 Results

GSTQ - FAIL (Player Already Drafted)
P-nut - PASS
Zlatan - FAIL (Player Already Drafted)
EAP - PASS

Round 3 Selections

GSTQ - Sheep (Phil Jones)
Sjor - Ashley Cole
Jim - Uli Stielike
Pnut - Henrik Larsson
The Stain - Ricardo Carvalho
Enigma - Pat Jennings
Chesterlestreet - Manfred Kaltz
Marty - Claude Makelele
Moby - Petr Cech
King Kendrick - Kylian Mbappe
Isotope - Bastian Schweinsteiger
Pat Mustard - Liam Brady
Zlatan - Sheep (Marcos Rojo)
EAP - Toni Kroos
Indnyc - Alan Hansen
Physiocrat - Arjen Robben

Round 3 Pick Progression

GSTQ - Rijkaard, Rensenbrink, Kaltz
Sjor - Lahm, Cole
Jim - Stielike
P-nut - Rijkaard, Makelele, Larsson
The Stain - Lahm, Carvalho
Enigma - Thuram, Jennings
Chesterlestreet - Thuram, Kaltz
Marty - Makelele
Moby - No Selection, Cech
King Kendrick - Messi, Mbappe
Isotope - Schweinsteiger
Pat Mustard - Thuram, Brady
Zlatan - Schuster, Romario, Robben
EAP - Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos
Indnyc - Lahm, Hansen
Physiocrat - Robben

Squads

1. GSTQ - 1) L. Monti 2) S. Pearce 3) P. Jones
2. Sjor - 1) N. Vidic 2) K. De Bruyne 3) A. Cole
3. Jim - 1) J. Charles 2) T. Taylor 3) U. Stielike
4. Pnut - 1) N. Zigic 2) G. Lineker 3) H. Larsson
5. The Stain - 1) Y. Toure 2) D. Silva 3) R. Carvalho
6. Enigma - 1) M. Essien 2) R. Sterling 3) P. Jennings
7. Chesterlestreet - 1) D. Blanchflower 2) J. Greaves 3) M. Kaltz
8. Marty - 1) M. Coluna 2) K. Keegan 3) C. Makelele
9. Moby 1) B. Wright 2) A. Carroll 3) P. Cech
10. King Kendrick - 1) D. Drogba 2) F. Lampard 3) K. Mbappe
11. Isotope - 1) A. Finnbogason 2) D. Dean 3) B. Schweinsteiger
12. Pat Mustard - 1) D. O’Leary 2) C. Waddle 3) L. Brady
13. Zlatan - 1) M. Besic 2) E. Cantona 3) M. Rojo
14. EAP 1) A. Shevchenko 2) J. Lingard 3) T. Kroos
15.Indnyc 1) A. Simonsen 2) M. Thomas 3) A. Hansen
16. Physiocrat 1) J. Mensah 2) T. Walcott 3) A. Robben

Block List: Billy Bremner, Eusebio, Philipp Lahm, Michael Laudrup, Denis Law, Stanley Matthews, Paul McGrath, Pavel Nedved, Marc Overmars, Frank Rijkaard, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes, Lilian Thuram, Lev Yashin

Last edited:
Round 4 Criteria

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Round 4 - Paying the Penalty

Pick a player who was playing at the end of extra time but did not take a penalty while playing for the losing team in a World Cup game that was decided by a Penalty Shoot Out.

Please send your first selections within the next 24 hours.