Mike's Sheep Draft

Marty1968

Aaaah that's a shame. Would've been nice to have seen Gazza in this draft.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Aaaah that's a shame. Would've been nice to have seen Gazza in this draft.
Was considering him myself, but opted for something else - partly 'cause I considered him a less safe option. Wrong again there.

Playing it safe is starting to become an obsession with me, bad habit really - still, very happy with who I landed.

Enigma_87

You know who
And here comes the clarification:

When I did my initial short list I had Thuram down for both Monaco and Barca. I then realized there was a "can't have won anything" caveat in place - and, thus, the Barca part should have been scratched (they won the Supercopa, so the whole thing was a no-go). But it wasn't (scratched): because I copy/pasted Thuram's Barca season (not his Monaco one) in my PM to @Michaelf7777777.

And then, reading certain responses, I got my wires all crossed - in all sorts of ways - because my pick ended up blocked, simply, and not ineligible (which it actually was). In other words, for a brief (and maybe not entirely sober) time, I actually thought that someone had landed players from that Barca season: which included heavy hitters of the first water, of course.

Mike's mistake is very understandable, of course - since both Enigma and Mustard also picked Thuram on the same attempt. But - yeah - there it is. Like I said initially, though, it made no practical difference - the player was a bust.
At the end of the day I think Pat also picked the Monaco one so regardless if your pick was ineligible or not it would've had the same outcome.

Although I can understand if your pick being eligible would have sent you in that (Barca) direction for the second one and might have lead to some more ineligible picks.

Not entirely sure if pointing out the season makes the pick eligible or not or Mike is checking him on separated basis only by name. In other words just by picking Thuram it makes him a valid pick without mentioning the season as it wasn't 'required' by the rules, I think.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
At the end of the day I think Pat also picked the Monaco one so regardless if your pick was ineligible or not it would've had the same outcome.

Although I can understand if your pick being eligible would have sent you in that (Barca) direction for the second one and might have lead to some more ineligible picks.

Not entirely sure if pointing out the season makes the pick eligible or not or Mike is checking him on separated basis only by name. In other words just by picking Thuram it makes him a valid pick without mentioning the season as it wasn't 'required' by the rules, I think.
Yes, that's a fair point: it wasn't actually stated that you have to provide evidence for the player's eligibility. In this case, however, I did provide the evidence (link to Barca's 2006-07 season).

But - yeah - if I had simply said "Thuram" he would've been eligible (Monaco).

Marty1968

Was considering him myself, but opted for something else - partly 'cause I considered him a less safe option. Wrong again there.

Playing it safe is starting to become an obsession with me, bad habit really - still, very happy with who I landed.
Yeah me too but well pleased with my pick this round.....especially with a few other blocks. Thinking one incredible pick may have sneaked through...well done to that person!

Must be close to having a result for this round by now?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And dang. How did you guys find those players on Round 3? My "extensive" research just went as far as Bayern and Dortmund.
For most big to biggish clubs you can simply - and quickly enough - do a wiki search for "Club X seasons" (where both trophies won and finals lost are highlighted for your convenience).

The problem is searching outside that group - that becomes a serious pain in the arse. I wouldn't be surprised if there's actually a player or two who may have slipped through the net entirely here (Eastern Europe, specifically).

Enigma_87

You know who
For most big to biggish clubs you can simply - and quickly enough - do a wiki search for "Club X seasons" (where both trophies won and finals lost are highlighted for your convenience).

The problem is searching outside that group - that becomes a serious pain in the arse. I wouldn't be surprised if there's actually a player or two who may have slipped through the net entirely here (Eastern Europe, specifically).
EE doesn't have 2 cups usually, which makes it very hard to find a 'click'. England, France and other nations with league cup alongside their national cup opens up the pool.

Add to that EE countries haven't won many EC,UEFA etc cups which makes the pool very narrow to work with.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
EE doesn't have 2 cups usually, which makes it very hard to find a 'click'. England, France and other nations with league cup alongside their national cup opens up the pool.

Add to that EE countries haven't won many EC,UEFA etc cups which makes the pool very narrow to work with.
True - yes.

I was thinking along the lines of: 2nd in the league, lost domestic cup, lost some kind of European final (old EC, UEFA, CWC).

And you can add the old Inter-Cities Fairs Cup to the list too, I suppose. *

Narrow enough - yes. But still possible - maybe.

* And the Mitropa Cup.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I did it with tabs open for the league and then each European Cup and checked if any years matched up, so don't think I should have missed many.

To be honest this is the most research I've put into a draft so far. Each round has had a decent size list to pick from, and I've still managed to go to 3rd pick pretty much every round :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
True - yes.

I was thinking along the lines of: 2nd in the league, lost domestic cup, lost some kind of European final (old EC, UEFA, CWC).

And you can add the old Inter-Cities Fairs Cup to the list too, I suppose. *

Narrow enough - yes. But still possible - maybe.

* And the Mitropa Cup.
To be honest I tried those countries for a bit, but gave up pretty quickly. Being in those competitions and also in the domestic league usually means 50-50 chance of winning it (if you have a team that can mount such a challenge across different competition in the same year) and I couldn't even find a single example for some teams of the aforementioned region.

What would made it really challenging and perhaps allowed some coups after an exhausting research is opening it for SA clubs too as Brazilian league for example have many formats and cups in the 60-70s without that much info straight away from Wiki.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Was searching for Madrid. They only listed trophies they've won. Went to Transfermarkt, my eyes were spinning scrolling up and down.

The like of Thuram and Rijkaard totally escaped the net.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is what screwed me

They won the Super Cup that season and wiki didn't list it there. Only listed the 3 runner up cups
Ah, yes - there you go. Wiki is...shit, I suppose.

I actually started out looking for Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup losers - so I wasn't screwed on that particular one.

Still, that's shabby - the format for most teams that have a "seasons" entry does seem to include both Super Cups and Intercontinental Cups.

Round 4 Pick 3 Results and Summary

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Round 4 Pick 3 Results

GSTQ - PASS
Sjor - PASS
Pnut - PASS
Moby - PASS
Pat Mustard - PASS
EAP - FAIL (Inrligible Pick)

Round 4 Selections

GSTQ - John Terry
Sjor - Edwin van der Sar
Jim - Michel
Pnut - Gary Neville
The Stain - Sergio Busquets
Enigma - Jose Antonio Camacho
Chesterlestreet - Roberto Donadoni
Marty - Fabio Cannavaro
Moby - Hugo Sanchez
King Kendrick - Carles Puyol
Isotope - Marius Tresor
Pat Mustard - Walter Zenga
Zlatan - Clarence Seedorf
EAP - Sheep (Gary Breen)
Indnyc - Edgar Davids
Physiocrat - Jean Tigana

Round 4 Pick Progression

GSTQ - Ferdinand, Davids, Terry
Sjor - Ferdinand, Gascoigne, van der Sar
Jim - Bergomi, Michel
Pnut - Ferdinand, Davids, Neville
The Stain - Busquets
Enigma - Stam, Camacho
Chesterlestreet - Donadoni
Marty - Cannavaro
Moby - Bergomi, Davids, Sanchez
King Kendrick - Maldini, Puyol
Isotope - Tresor
Pat Mustard - Maldini, Gascoigne, Zenga
Zlatan - Stam, Seedorf
EAP - Maldini, Davids, Junior
Indnyc - Davids
Physiocrat - Tigana

Squads

1. GSTQ - 1) L. Monti 2) S. Pearce 3) P. Jones 4) J. Terry
2. Sjor - 1) N. Vidic 2) K. De Bruyne 3) A. Cole 4) E. van der Sar
3. Jim - 1) J. Charles 2) T. Taylor 3) U. Stielike 4) Michel
4. Pnut - 1) N. Zigic 2) G. Lineker 3) H. Larsson 4) G. Neville
5. The Stain - 1) Y. Toure 2) D. Silva 3) R. Carvalho 4) S. Busquets
6. Enigma - 1) M. Essien 2) R. Sterling 3) P. Jennings 4) J. Camacho
7. Chesterlestreet - 1) D. Blanchflower 2) J. Greaves 3) M. Kaltz 4) R. Donadoni
8. Marty - 1) M. Coluna 2) K. Keegan 3) C. Makelele 4) F. Cannavaro
9. Moby 1) B. Wright 2) A. Carroll 3) P. Cech 4) H. Sanchez
10. King Kendrick - 1) D. Drogba 2) F. Lampard 3) K. Mbappe 4) C. Puyol
11. Isotope - 1) A. Finnbogason 2) D. Dean 3) B. Schweinsteiger 4) M. Tresor
12. Pat Mustard - 1) D. O’Leary 2) C. Waddle 3) L. Brady 4) W. Zenga
13. Zlatan - 1) M. Besic 2) E. Cantona 3) M. Rojo 4) C. Seedorf
14. EAP 1) A. Shevchenko 2) J. Lingard 3) T. Kroos 4) G. Breen
15.Indnyc 1) A. Simonsen 2) M. Thomas 3) A. Hansen 4) E. Davids
16. Physiocrat 1) J. Mensah 2) T. Walcott 3) A. Robben 4) J. Tigana

Block List: Giuseppe Bergomi, Billy Bremner, Eusebio, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Gascoigne, Philipp Lahm, Michael Laudrup, Denis Law, Paolo Maldini, Stanley Matthews, Paul McGrath, Pavel Nedved, Marc Overmars, Frank Rijkaard, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes, Jaap Stam, Lilian Thuram, Lev Yashin

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Heck no-one else ever attempted to pick Tigana. I was convinced he would be blocked in R1

Marty1968

Hugo Sanchez as a 3rd round pick!! Nicely played @Moby

Welcome to my team Fabio! Two Balon D'or winners in 4 picks. I'll take that!

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Not just Sanchez, so many good players were not picked. Should have been a bit more brave.

Enigma_87

You know who
First name to be upgraded on the team sheet.

Hate pre war players.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Brilliant idea to pick a keeper round before sheep round