Militant Vegans

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What's all this about then?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...fore-being-jeered-out-by-diners-a4001396.html

Seems like of late there's been more and more protests from vegan groups about, well, just normal people going about their meat-eating business.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/10/vegan-protesters-stun-shoppers-toronto-grocery-store/

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/1...and-dairy-industry-in-dorchester-town-centre/

Do they have a point? If so, is storming steak houses and the like, trying to make people feel guilty, the best way to go about it? Is it right to cause such a public fuss just because they don't like something and therefore no-one else should?

Definitely seems like they've ramped things up a notch anyway.

jeff_goldblum

Making people feel bad about their eating habits, unless they're knowingly and intentionally eating in an unusually cruel way, a shitty thing to do. It's also the least effective way to make someone consider their standpoint on an issue.

Having said that, its a tiny minority of vegans who don't understand the above and there are thick, spiteful and ignorant people in any demographic.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We should all eat more responsibly. My girlfriend and I have cut down to eating meat a maximum of 3 nights a week which means we can afford to buy nicer quality meat from responsible sources.

That sort of militant veganism does nobody any favours though. Most people’s reaction to that sort of hostility, patronising and disdain is “no, feck off”.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Yes, they have a point. The meat industry is not only making living hell of millions of animals, but also destroying any hope for a better future for all of us.

Can't say i agree with this method though, but if governments don't want to face to the issue, is up to the people to do as they can.

Meat eating should be stopped as soon as possible. If not from a moral point of view, maybe do it because farts from cows and pigs contributes to global warming more than all the factories, planes, ships and cars of the world together.

ps. I'm an hypocrite because I'm still eating some meat but i have set the limit to 31 december 2018. Hopefully i can do it earlier.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Look at sergeant vegan up there, condemning meat eaters as he eats meat. You disgust me.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yes, they have a point. The meat industry is not only making living hell of millions of animals, but also destroying any hope for a better future for all of us.

Can't say i agree with this method though, but if governments don't want to face to the issue, is up to the people to do as they can.

Meat eating should be stopped as soon as possible. If not from a moral point of view (that should be enough), maybe do it because farts from cows and pigs contributes to global warming more than all the factories, planes, ships and cars of the world together.

ps. I'm an hypocrite because I'm still eating some meat but i have set the limit to 31 december 2018. Hopefully i can do it earlier.
I had swan and veal sweetbreads in a fox blood and duckling jus today:drool:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It doesn't help that they use phrases like 'no good person could ever do this one singular thing'. The obvious aside like committing murder, whether a person is good or not is surely considered as the sum of all parts. So they start their position off in a stupid way, because rather than actually discuss the issue that's important to them they leave themselves open to having people instead debate the exaggerations they make instead of the issue itself.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Meat eating should be stopped as soon as possible. If not from a moral point of view (that should be enough), maybe do it because farts from cows and pigs contributes to global warming more than all the factories, planes, ships and cars of the world together.

meat eating isn't going away anytime soon.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Does anyone actually know people like this? I know plenty of vegetarian/vegan people but I've genuinely never encountered a militant vegan before.

Carolina Red

Staff
Direct any militant vegans my way. I’ll send them a link to the Steak Thread.

I had swan and veal sweetbreads in a fox blood and duckling jus today:drool:
I had meat & vegetable stew made with venison last night. The deer was harvested 2 days prior.

Last edited:

jeff_goldblum

How many animals die to protect the crops they want everyone to eat?
The thing you have to remember is that the majority of crops grown on this planet are used to feed the animals we ourselves eat. It sounds counterintuitive, but the fact is that if everyone went vegan we'd have to grow fewer crops, not more.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
One of the lads from work turned vegan, I just order 2 burgers for myself instead of one now, don't want the burger van losing business. I'm doing my bit for local businesses.

Charles Miller

They should look their teeth in the mirror and tell me if some of those things are not made to rip meat. Nature is right. Lunatic ideology is wrong.

Paranthropus and Homo both emerged in South Africa roughly 1.8 million years ago and lived side by side for several hundred thousand years. Differences in their diet have been used to explain why the Homo lineage succeeded while Paranthropus died out. Now, new chemical analyses of fossil teeth further confirm that the two hominids dined on different foods, with Homo eating more meat than Paranthropus.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...stry-confirms-early-homo-loved-meat-21338793/

Carolina Red

Staff
They should look their teeth in the mirror and tell me if some of those things are not made to rip meat. Nature is right. Lunatic ideology is wrong.

Paranthropus and Homo both emerged in South Africa roughly 1.8 million years ago and lived side by side for several hundred thousand years. Differences in their diet have been used to explain why the Homo lineage succeeded while Paranthropus died out. Now, new chemical analyses of fossil teeth further confirm that the two hominids dined on different foods, with Homo eating more meat than Paranthropus.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...stry-confirms-early-homo-loved-meat-21338793/
I approve this message.

Silva

this is why i only eat raw meat and none of this bullshit "cooked" food, nature already made the food you morons

Silva

it's also why i don't brush my teeth, nature already made them perfect you can't improve on nature stupid

and what's the point in having a shower, if we weren't meant to smell why would we?

you beta ***** probably don't live in caves either

Charles Miller

this is why i only eat raw meat and none of this bullshit "cooked" food, nature already made the food you morons
You eat cooked food now because you are smart to know its better. Why you are smart enough? Because you have a big brain. Why you have a big brain? Because our ancestrals in Africa loved juice delicious meat.

And now i'm hungry and i'm going to make a colossal churrasco(barbecue) tomorrow.

Carolina Red

Staff
it's also why i don't brush my teeth, nature already made them perfect you can't improve on nature stupid

and what's the point in having a shower, if we weren't meant to smell why would we?

you beta ***** probably don't live in caves either
You’re absolutely right.

Due to advances in basic technology and lodging, man truly has suddenly evolved to not eat meat.

Silva

It's genuinely stupid logic. Thing worked in the past, must be the way to go. The smithsonian article also says that our ancestors ate more meat than we do but it's evident that humanity is only getting smarter. There have also been multiple studies that show vegans are more intelligent than humans with different eating habits, because people with higher intelligence are better equipped to make choices that positively impact their environment.

Meat eating clearly did have an impact in the species becoming more intelligent, but the species continued the intelligence trend without continuing the meat trend. The meat we ate a hundred thousand years ago made some people smarter than others, and the smartest saw the error of our way and thanks to multivitamin supplements and rounded diets are only getting smarter, leaving the rest of us behind as we devolve into a primal meat eating footnote in their history.

We shouldn't use behaviour a hundred thousand years ago that is no longer applicable as a moral justification, because that would be really fecking stupid. We're not the species we were a hundred thousand years ago. Yeah, meat made us smarter. So smart that we developed an intensive animal farming system that we've rolled out on an industrial scale. It made us smart enough to realise that this system is killing the planet. It's a shame all this meat hasn't made us intelligent enough to look beyond personal gratification or emotionally mature enough to see that people who want to end animal suffering and build a healthier planet might have a point.

Last edited:

Silva

I'll happily eat that. But I'm not going to pretend that my gluttony and moral failings are an evolutionary advantage or that vegans are extremists morons while I do it.

Carolina Red

Staff
These people are participating in legitimate forms of protest. They're not killing anyone, they're not even maiming anyone. The three examples posted here are of jeering, smoke bombs and a bunch of people standing in a town centre wearing Guy Fawkes mask.
That’s fine.

I as an Omnivore also reserve the right to protest their protest.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's completely the wrong way to go about changing hearts and minds. Many people would struggle with veganism as a lifestyle, it's very restrictive and not just about food - no leather shoes, for instance. They'd be better persuading folk to introduce more vegetarian meals into their omnivore diets.

Classical Mechanic

Does anyone actually know people like this? I know plenty of vegetarian/vegan people but I've genuinely never encountered a militant vegan before.
Used to when I was younger and played in bands. Used to know some hardcore bands that had a lot of militant straight edge vegan types hanging around. They would smash up butchers shops in the night and such like.

They really should push the environmental argument more than the moral one. I feel it has much more traction at the moment.

Personally I'm going to start cutting down on meat a lot and trying to move to a more plant based diet. I believe they call it 'flexitarianism'.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I believe they call it 'flexitarianism'.
The smug self satisfaction of a vegan with none of the inconvenience of having to cut out meat and dairy. I genuinely thought it was a bad joke until a colleague trotted it out at a fecking expensive business meal, still not sure how he didn't choke on his pheasant curry.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
if humanity survives another 300 years, they will look at us as we look human slavery

Also, is not everything black or white. You don't need to be vegetarian or vegan to make the cruel meat industry to feel the rejection consumer pain and to help reduce the impact of the meat industry in the environment. You can be a reductionist. Everyone in their own scale can help make it better for the animals, for the planet and for their own health

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think they're right. Though I'd certainly not appreciate being interrupted as I ate I couldn't look any of those protesters in the eye and say my tacit support for the meat industry is right or just.

Also those 3D cow masks look superb.

Classical Mechanic

The smug self satisfaction of a vegan with none of the inconvenience of having to cut out meat and dairy. I genuinely thought it was a bad joke until a colleague trotted it out at a fecking expensive business meal, still not sure how he didn't choke on his pheasant curry.
Its not really. Its just about cutting down on meat and possibly becoming a vegan once you have got used to the plant based diet.

I don't really buy the essential moral argument but the environmental argument, the argument about the cruelty of industrial scale farming and personal health argument are compelling.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Used to when I was younger and played in bands. Used to know some hardcore bands that had a lot of militant straight edge vegan types hanging around. They would smash up butchers shops in the night and such like.

They really should push the environmental argument more than the moral one. I feel it has much more traction at the moment.

Personally I'm going to start cutting down on meat a lot and trying to move to a more plant based diet. I believe they call it 'flexitarianism'.
Haven't heard that specific term used before but makes sense - a lot of people often see it as an either/or choice between eating lots of meat and going veggie/vegan - but when you consider the bad environmental effects even cutting down a fair bit if you acknowledge you're not going to be able to do so completely is a good idea.