Milwall will be Millwall: fans boo players for taking a knee

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just look at voting trends in general elections. London suburbs tend to be very traditionally Tory and right wing
That's categorically false. Labour have more than twice the number of Tory MPs in London. You're aware London also voted remain the referendum, right?

Last edited:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s been said a million times, if there is no serious punishment, it isn’t taken seriously. The punishment such match what is a deplorable action.

Football League should announce on Monday that the club are being docked 3 points for the infringement, and that any second infringement will cost the club 6 points.

The punishment has to hurt everyone involved, otherwise there is no real concerted and urgent effort to change.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's categorically false. Labour have more than twice the number of Tory MPs in London. You're aware London also voted remain the referendum, right?
I was t talking about London as a whole but the suburbs like Bromley, Bexley, Redbridge Sutton etc

The inner areas are very much labour with the exception of Kensington and Chelsea etc

Jibbs

Whatever happened in Milwall was sad,but sadder is the way EPL was using the kneeling before the games as a marketing strategy.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Booing is a bit extreme and lacking in class, but they really painted themselves into a corner with the kneeling.

They can't stop now. A symbolic gesture bereft of symbolism. Quite a sight to behold, however, gives an account of our times.

GueRed

He meant London suburbs as in surrounding areas around London. Like Essex and Hertfordshire etc

Essex is basically Tory/Ukip county

The Red Thinker

I am not conflating BLM with a political organisation at all, they are a political organisation and so I don’t need to conflate anything. Ignoring their political stances and simplifying their message to being only about racism would be disingenuous.

I am all for anti racism movements but cannot support BLM, feel free to check out their political aims on their very own website.
What is disheartening to see is that people like yourselves cannot see the message over the movement. Forget the organisation that has hijacked BLM. BLM is much bigger than that one organisation. It is message of universality. Support it for that. Say it out loud and truly listen to what you're saying, "Black Lives Matter". "Matter". Why? because there has been systemic and historic abuse of the black community across the world. In no small part propounded by the Empire. They "Matter" because they have lived experiences that make them feel like they don't.

Support the message. Support BLM. Screw the organisation or some bloody website. This is global. Join the family of solidarity.

NotThatSoph

Well said. That's certainly a significant factor in people's opposition to it.
It's funny you complaining about "Americanisms" when you're a stereotypical American culture warrior by the way.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I was t talking about London as a whole but the suburbs like Bromley, Bexley, Redbridge Sutton etc

The inner areas are very much labour with the exception of Kensington and Chelsea etc
Zone 2 and 3 are suburbs, eg Shepherd's Bush, Haringey etc...The ones you list are all Greater London.

Foxbatt

Whatever happened in Milwall was sad,but sadder is the way EPL was using the kneeling before the games as a marketing strategy.
I agree with you. They should get the players to don a white garb and dance around the centre circle. At least it would be more entertaining to use as a marketing strategy.

GueRed

Suburbs generally are densely populated. Only an estate agent would describe zone 3 as central, given it's a 30 minute or more train/tube ride out.
it isn't the 1970's lad.

Enfield (zone 5) is more surburby

Zones 2 and 3 are NOT surburbs

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This. The gesture represents a lot but I've always felt that PL used it for its P.R rather than genuinely fighting against racism.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Genuine question but how is the PL exploiting an anti-racism message that is getting booed by racists for the sake of PR?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I personally do not support the BLM movement, their political stances (defund the police and such) don’t resonate with me but if BLM has now been removed from football then why are the Millwall fans actually booing?
However I must admit that I am tired of some folks equating racism in the UK with our US counterparts and feel there is a definite Americanisation of British culture, mainly driven by social media. Seeing Britain blow up on the back of racial incidents half way across the world is frustrating.
Not to say we don’t have issues with racism in this country but the scale isn’t anything like what is being portrayed in the media.
How do you know?

pablo__p

What is disheartening to see is that people like yourselves cannot see the message over the movement. Forget the organisation that has hijacked BLM. BLM is much bigger than that one organisation. It is message of universality. Support it for that. Say it out loud and truly listen to what you're saying, "Black Lives Matter". "Matter". Why? because there has been systemic and historic abuse of the black community across the world. In no small part propounded by the Empire. They "Matter" because they have lived experiences that make them feel like they don't.

Support the message. Support BLM. Screw the organisation or some bloody website. This is global. Join the family of solidarity.
Well, BLM is hardly "universal" in terms of racism in general, is it?

Jam

I am not conflating BLM with a political organisation at all, they are a political organisation and so I don’t need to conflate anything. Ignoring their political stances and simplifying their message to being only about racism would be disingenuous.

I am all for anti racism movements but cannot support BLM, feel free to check out their political aims on their very own website.
“I’m not conflating the movement with the organisation”

*proceeds to conflate the movement with the organisation*

This post-truth world gets more depressing by the day. Social media, privately owned media entities acting as mouthpieces, and through word of mouth.

I don’t want to write off people like the above poster off as a lost cause to society’s better future but we’re getting dangerously close to the point where a large part of the public has been indoctrinated beyond repair.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
"I'm not racist but... I just wish people would be less anti-racist."
I think that about sums up the attempts made by some here.
As always, you let the thread go on for long enough and the subtle racists show themselves. Right wing idiots like this are so predictable with their homogenous train of thought.
"Subtle" racists are actually passionate white supremacists expressing their views as best as they can, given that blatant racism is disallowed on this forum and almost every part of civilised society.
Yes, this forum has plenty like that, and we know who most of them are, yet they are still here.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
"Subtle" racists are actually passionate white supremacists expressing their views as best as they can, given that blatant racism is disallowed on this forum and almost every part of civilised society.
Yes, this forum has plenty like that, and we know who most of them are, yet they are still here.
That's assuming all THOSE people are white, yeah?

pablo__p

Yes, I can't see many non white people not wanting to support the sentiment behind 'taking the knee'.
Quite significant number of people (from different backgrounds, races, geographies) whom I know and spoke to are decidedly against "taking the knee" and more importantly BLM movement. At the same time I'm pretty sure all these people would donate their money to a sensible organization with a program aimed at organic work towards eradicating racism in every form that is.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Imagine getting annoyed about people kneeling down for 5 seconds. Imagine being such a massive wanker that a really really small gesture, that has zero effect on you, isn't forcing you to do anything (apart from maybe... "Think" !? Shock horror) and literally has no effect on your life not just upsets you (cos that alone would make you a wanker) but makes you want to boo it?

It's just totally ridiculous. Anyone who would boo it is a fecking idiot, and anyone who's trying to excuse such behaviour is also a fecking idiot.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Quite significant number of people (from different backgrounds, races, geographies) whom I know and spoke to are decidedly against "taking the knee" and more importantly BLM movement. At the same time I'm pretty sure all these people would donate their money to a sensible organization with a program aimed at organic work towards eradicating racism in every form that is.
Every and any attempt to eradicate this disease is a good use of time, in my opinion.

DavidDeSchmikes

once a narrative that BLM is anti white and marxist is planted, then it is harder to force home the initial message. Toss in a few words like "woke, virtue signalling, diversity" as well.

Who knew fighting and trying to defeat racism is seen as a bad thing

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very sad to see, but oh so predictable that threads like these & the George Floyd thread take the same direction with the same regurgitated arguments “against” movements such as BLM. Completely misses the point of eradicating racism - and intentionally so, I’d imagine.

TrustInOle

Imagine getting annoyed about people kneeling down for 5 seconds. Imagine being such a massive wanker that a really really small gesture, that has zero effect on you, isn't forcing you to do anything (apart from maybe... "Think" !? Shock horror) and literally has no effect on your life not just upsets you (cos that alone would make you a wanker) but makes you want to boo it?

It's just totally ridiculous. Anyone who would boo it is a fecking idiot, and anyone who's trying to excuse such behaviour is also a fecking idiot.
Completely agreed! Had a chat with another poster yesterday who reckons harsher punishments are a must and maybe taking the knee, whilst being an amazing gesture, will anger the ones it is supposed to be influencing positively, evidenced by the Millwall crowd.

Personally, in this day and age, racism when found guilty should result in a lifetime ban from the sport, fan, player or anyone associated with football. Especially the players, if racism is found with evidence to try and apply disrespect or mental harm, then they should be fired and banned for life.

Might be harsh, but so is the affect of racial discrimination. Alot more education has to be out into our youth if we have any chance of this dispersing.

Foxbatt

once a narrative that BLM is anti white and marxist is planted, then it is harder to force home the initial message. Toss in a few words like "woke, virtue signalling, diversity" as well.

Who knew fighting and trying to defeat racism is seen as a bad thing
Marxist? Are there any real marxists around? To the Americans anyone who supports Healthcare is a Marxist. That makes most countries marxist, including the UK.
I don't know anyone who is not a racist who is against taking the knee.
People who still harp about taking the knee and BKM are deliberately ignoring the Fact that it was Colin Kaepernick who started it and not the BLM.
It's not a political move to take the knee. It's not supporting the movement in the USA. It's supporting anti racism especially against the black community.

Foxbatt

Spot on. They are not forced to kneel down. Someone else is doing it.
You are too polite. They are worse than fecking idiots.

DavidDeSchmikes

Marxist? Are there any real marxists around? To the Americans anyone who supports Healthcare is a Marxist. That makes most countries marxist, including the UK.
I don't know anyone who is not a racist who is against taking the knee.
People who still harp about taking the knee and BKM are deliberately ignoring the Fact that it was Colin Kaepernick who started it and not the BLM.
It's not a political move to take the knee. It's not supporting the movement in the USA. It's supporting anti racism especially against the black community.
doesn't matter. Marxist has been turned into a dirty word used to tarnish BLM.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Britain still has a problem with racism, whether we like to admit it or not. The booing whilst disappointing isn’t unexpected. People are too easily swayed by nonsense, the movement is and always will be about equal rights for black people, it’s nothing to do with Marxism or ‘wokeness’

DelPotro

Spot on. They are not forced to kneel down. Someone else is doing it.
You are too polite. They are worse than fecking idiots.
It's a bit naive to think they are not forced to kneel. Obviously no one is pointing a gun at them but can you imagine being the only person on the pitch who doesn't kneel? The social media mob will be all over you and label you as a racist. We live in a world in which silence is violence and actually violence is glossed over as long as it is for the "right" cause.