Mino Raiola has died

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Sad he died but my overwhelming emotion is bemusement. Not only a multi page thread dedicated to an agent. This same agent seems to have actual fans. What the feck has happened to football?
This is a real through the looking glass thread

AndySmith1990

Sad he died but my overwhelming emotion is bemusement. Not only a multi page thread dedicated to an agent. This same agent seems to have actual fans. What the feck has happened to football?
Social media happened and humanity is fecked

badname

RIP, to a man that mostly was just defending the best for his clients, the players. Who should have as many rights as they can likewise the clubs.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
RIP big man.

Whether you liked him or not, he was one of the best in the business of football.

Trequarista10

Bahahahaha.

I see Mino got a prime plot in your amygdala to be laid to rest by the looks of it.

How tragic a life do you have to lead to come on a forum and post something like this about somebody that's just died. :lol:
My life's great, how tragic is yours that you make assumptions about other people's based on a single post?

I'm responding to the comments about his ability as an agent. Nothing personal against the guy, he was just one of many. He didn't have any relevance to my life when he was alive and he doesn't now he's died. Nobody here is a friend or relative of him, I don't think it's necessary to speak positively about him just because he died. People die all the time.

Trequarista10

In terms of developing his clients careers I wouldn't call a success what has been going on with Pogba but he's not the sole responsible for that, maybe it's their clients who are more interested in going where they get paid more. Lastly it's also something that has been facilitated by Manchester United so like I said you can't only blame the agents for what has been going with football in general and the insane contracts.
Fair points, agents aren't solely responsible. But they do have a significant impact on careers. If they can be lauded for getting a player a move, they can be criticised when a player's career is struggling. The same argument can be made. People laud agents when their player gets a big move, but they weren't the sole person responsibility. Football clubs want to buy footballers, and will pay big transfer fees and offer huge wages, even if the player doesn't have an agent or not a professional agent. Agents are just in the thick of it trying to get a piece of the pie.

Canuckred64

I did not have a nice word to say about him while he was alive and I will not be a hypercrite and say nice things about him now he has died. I feel Raiola was one of the worst things that happen to football and I have been fan of the game for 60 years. I don't think Raiola had any love for the game it was just a means to an end. The top players he represented where just chess pieces to him that he could move around every two or three years, in order for him to get a slice of the transfer fee. His clients disrupted the teams they were on because they have no loyalty, clubs were consently required to downplay rumours that this player or that player was moving to another team. Raiola was not the cause of this game bowing down to the all mighty dollar but he was among the worst examples of what is wrong with the game today. I am not happy he is dead and I feel sorry for his family, but I won't shed any tears for the man himself.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He was a mega agent. The center of transfer rumors for the past half a decade. He would decide futures of key players. He was an agent GOAT and it's admirable how far up the ladder he climbed.

You have to appreciate an artist
No white text. Well done. I appreciate it when people don't spoon-feed their sarcasm.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I like the way people are saying 'Rest In Peace' before launching diatribes at the man and his character. :lol:

Why are you saying RIP at all if you don't mean it?

Kaos

So what happens to his clients then? Do they all get poached by Mendes, Zahavi and the like?

A pretty big summers coming up for a lot of them - Pogba, Haaland, Mazraoui, Gravenberch are either all free agents or looking for moves.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Unless he has a protege or his company has some up and comers, all the talent he'd normally sweep up will be going with the likes of Mendes and others who will sweep up. When a powerful <anything> dies, there's a scramble for the pie they've left behind, and without their respect/fear/control, things can actually descend into chaos, so the agent market could become very intriguing now. If you're into that sort of thing.
I see a Netflix series in there :lol:
Can you imagine how much 'tapping up' of his clients will be going on?

There must be contingencies in place in the event of his death, but are they watertight and legal, or reliant on these players remaining loyal?
Raiola never used contracts with any of his clients. They were free to leave whenever. For his Dutch clients, I think Ali Dursun (FDJ, VDB, Malacia) will tap in. The really high profile ones will probably flock to Mendes and such.

AFC NimbleThumb

Maybe I’ve missed some posts but can you point me to people being fanatical about his agency?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Maybe I’ve missed some posts but can you point me to people being fanatical about his agency?
It's another instance of a straw man that someone has created in their head to come out swinging. It's all over the forum.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Raiola never used contracts with any of his clients. They were free to leave whenever. For his Dutch clients, I think Ali Dursun (FDJ, VDB, Malacia) will tap in. The really high profile ones will probably flock to Mendes and such.
Ah I see. Thanks for the info. I guess there'll be a grace period before the scramble begins. But surely his clients are going to be asking advisors where they go from here. Pogba is in a precarious position having played this out as he has? It would be interesting to see the inner working for situation as unprecedented as this, for sure.

AussieDevil

I don’t think this’ll have much of an effect on the majority of his clients. He has been very ill for a long time now, there would be precautions in place

RC89

For all the hateful things said against him at the time, he was clearly an incredible agent for his clients. Must be very hard on his loved ones to lose him so young.

Crashoutcassius

No United fan will love what he stood for, and maybe no football should. Still a man with a family etc. An innovator even if the innovation was arguably levels of greed not seen before. Young man and hopefully his family find peace of mind

DeGea’sFeet

That’s interesting and sheds a new light on him… basically separates him from record labels etc. While he gets trashed talk for let’s face it beating us at the business game. People should ask themselves if he’s such s Cnut why do all these players like and trust him so much.

Redlyn

My life's great, how tragic is yours that you make assumptions about other people's based on a single post?

I'm responding to the comments about his ability as an agent. Nothing personal against the guy, he was just one of many. He didn't have any relevance to my life when he was alive and he doesn't now he's died. Nobody here is a friend or relative of him, I don't think it's necessary to speak positively about him just because he died. People die all the time.
I agree it's not necessary to speak positively of him, but just wanted to point out that you can't know that though.

I like the way people are saying 'Rest In Peace' before launching diatribes at the man and his character. :lol:

Why are you saying RIP at all if you don't mean it?
You don't have to like someone to wish them RIP. It's just football. Now if he murdered little kids then you'd see more of may he rot in hell eternally.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That’s interesting and sheds a new light on him… basically separates him from record labels etc. While he gets trashed talk for let’s face it beating us at the business game. People should ask themselves if he’s such s Cnut why do all these players like and trust him so much.
We all want better deal for ourselves. Be it haggling for work contract or haggling at flea market. He just did it at higher level

Hawks2008

RIP to the GOAT, wonder how this changes the landscape of the market going forward if at all.

ryansgirl

RIP to Mino R but this man represented all that was toxic about the agent culture in contemporary sport.
Yes, football clubs are huge business entities and are not saints but agents like Mino are the classic parasitical rent seekers who place themselves in the middle, making huge bank for themselves out of manipulating players and situations.

I"m sorry to say this but the less of his type in contemporary sport the better. These kind of agents are part of the structural problems of football and part of the reason obscene amounts of money are paid in general to footballers who have little of the drive or commitment of far better players in better, more reasonable times in the game.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
People actually get more ofended by an agent getting money from private corporations than polititians who take your tax money to their offshore accounts.

ryansgirl

People actually get more ofended by an agent getting money from private corporations than polititians who take your tax money to their offshore accounts.
I have no time for those politicians either and in fact the politicians who make laws in so called democracies to vote themselves increasing salaries, benefits and other privileges are far worse as this legal corruption is just another normal day in normal politics.
However, we're talking about rent seeker agents like Mino R because he is the focus and if anybody can give me any shred of evidence that such parasitical enrichers of themselves are beneficial to contemporary football and to the people who continue to turn out to support their teams, buy their merchandise etc etc, then sorry, you're speaking out of the proverbial backside.

FlapR

The false empathy all over here and the internet is ridiculous. Yes it's sad someone died far too young, but who really cares? If he wasn't dead people would be calling him a cnut like usual.

Reactions: Fortitude

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Once someone is dead they willl be remembered for the deeds they have done. And from the fans side obviously his deeds have been bad and/or disrespectful. I dont agree that you have to act like a twat everytime to get what you want in business, the key here is everytime, not occasionally. Mutual respect goes a long way. But I can see how his family sees a different type of person and instead think of him who works hard to protect his clients for obvious reasons.

I won't pretend I'm sad or anything but every soul deserves to rest in peace.

CatpissMartini

I respect his hustle, Get as much money as you can, feed the players you represent then feed yourself, we are talking about a trillion pound sport.

If you're willing to give, I'm willing to take.

R.I.P

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree it's not necessary to speak positively of him, but just wanted to point out that you can't know that though.

You don't have to like someone to wish them RIP. It's just football. Now if he murdered little kids then you'd see more of may he rot in hell eternally.
False sentiment is one of the greatest contrivances of the internet age; saying 'RIP' isn't some qualifier to then go on to state what you really think and feel, least it shouldn't be.

AlexUTD

I think it was more that he talked about Pogba leaving every international break the last 3-4 years.

Zero respect for the supporters and creating uncertainty within the dressing room.

So sitting here suddenly pretending to care and beeing political correct feels fake as feck.