Mino Raiola has died

Silas

My feelings exactly, couldn't stand the mention of him. Obvioulsy not happy about it but sort of "good riddance to bad rubbish"
Feck me. People take this game way too seriously.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Apparently Zlatan will replace Mino as the face of the agency

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Dear Mino, I honestly am not ready to write this message and I think I never will be. It’s too early for us players, for your family but especially for you. You had so many dreams to fulfill, so many things left to do. I thought you were crazy when you told me about the things you were planning, but you were always right in the end. You knew how the world worked. Nothing is impossible and you showed that to the whole world. The moment I met you for the first time I knew you were someone special. Completely different than me but we had one thing in common. We wanted to do our job as good as possible and get everything out of our lives. You fought for your players together with your team and that’s why you were so loved by all of them. Because as you always said: they are my sons, my family. And now it’s time we have to change roles: you did everything for us and now we have to do everything for the people you loved the most, your family. I promise you we will take care of everything that you loved together as your ‘sons.’ Mino, I will miss you for everything. Like you said to be the bad guy against everybody for me, to be my agent but especially to be my best friend. Someone who I could always ask for help, who was ready to fight for me, but also someone with whom I could talk about life in general. Someone who knew so much about certain things that I am angry with myself I didn’t ask you more. I am sure at some point I can ask you more and cuddle you again because I miss you already way too much. I love you Mino

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rest in peace, so sorry to hear that, terrible terrible news. He was a real character and I'm sure he took great care of his players, no wonder all were so attached to him. At the end that's the footballing agent's job to represent the interests of his players not the clubs they sign for.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Kinda weird to see all these "best friends" posts from his clients. I know it's supposed to be a good thing but as a lawyer, being best firend with my clients would be a terrible idea. I can't help but think there's something off about it even if it's hard to pinpoint why.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
@Oly Francis

As I previously mentioned. Raiola didn't use contracts. His clients could feck off whenever.
Yeah, no, that's just impossible. They might have contracts that allow them to leave whenever they want but he used contracts. He wouldn't be able to represent players in most europeans countries without a mandate. That's just part of the Raiola fairy tale.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Kinda weird to see all these "best friends" posts from his clients. I know it's supposed to be a good thing but as a lawyer, being best firend with my clients would be a terrible idea. I can't help but think there's something off about it even if it's hard to pinpoint why.
Matuidi explained that he was surprised by the relationshipt that Raiola had with his clients, he met him through Maxwell at barbecues and Raiola was around players as if he was just a friend or a family member. Maxwell, Ibrahimovic and Balotteli all explained the same thing.

Revan

Assumptionman
yes and no.

Someone like Scholes or Gaz who wanted to build a legacy at one club would have hated him. Raiola didn't necessarily pushed players out of the club but his scourged earth tactics in a bid to squeeze every cent out of the club made it very difficult for club and player to build a solid relationship. However for the average joe who saw football as a job were one can get rich very quickly then Mino was his man.
Nedved did fine staying with Juventus, and had Raiola as him agent. Raiola was not dictating to his agents what to do.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nedved did fine staying with Juventus, and had Raiola as him agent. Raiola was not dictating to his agents what to do.
And his clients didn't move more than your average player. Neville and Scholes started at what is the top of Football from both a competitive and financial standpoint, these players don't have to climb the ranks of Football.

Revan

Assumptionman
And his clients didn't move more than your average player. Neville and Scholes started at what is the top of Football from both a competitive and financial standpoint, these players don't have to climb the ranks of Football.
Completely true.

The hate Raiola and agents get, for doing their job brilliantly and bringing money to their clients from multi-billion dollar businesses is nothing short of pathetic.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah, no, that's just impossible. They might have contracts that allow them to leave whenever they want but he used contracts. He wouldn't be able to represent players in most europeans countries without a mandate. That's just part of the Raiola fairy tale.
Bullocks. It was reported by NOS (Dutch state news) in his obituary.

It's common practice and the agent often negotiates a fee within the individual transfer rather than being on a player's payroll through a contract.

There was a lawsuit recently between De Vrij and his former agent SEG. They didnt have a contract (per Voetbal International's research journo Tom Knipping) and De Vrij won because he argued they were acting as his representative. SEG argued they were a mediator because they technically were paid by Inter and not De Vrij. SEG was ordered to pay 10 million in damages because they lied to De Vrij about their cut (hence they argued they werent his representative as there was no contract).

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Bullocks. It was reported by NOS (Dutch state news) in his obituary.

It's common practice and the agent often negotiates a fee within the individual transfer rather than being on a player's payroll through a contract.

There was a lawsuit recently between De Vrij and his former agent SEG. They didnt have a contract (per Voetbal International's research journo Tom Knipping) and De Vrij won because he argued they were acting as his representative. SEG argued they were a mediator because they technically were paid by Inter and not De Vrij. SEG was ordered to pay 10 million in damages because they lied to De Vrij about their cut (hence they argued they werent his representative as there was no contract).
Listen, as I previously stated, I'm a lawyer and 3 of my clients are football agents, some representing players starting in top 4 teams in France, Italy, England, Spain or Germany. Several countries enforce mandatory written agreements (whatever the form is). Raiola was registered as a "agent prestataire" in France, which means he had to comply with this requirement when dealing with french clubs.

It's also mandatory in England (where Camine Raiola was a registered intermediary), otherwise your player can't get registered by the FA.

He had contracts.

You're grossly confusing agent contracts, intermediation contracts and three-way contracts.

Last edited:

FriedClams

Completely true.

The hate Raiola and agents get, for doing their job brilliantly and bringing money to their clients from multi-billion dollar businesses is nothing short of pathetic.
There’s nothing pathetic about disagreeing entirely with one’s business practice. Hard to argue that Apple aren’t absolutely incredible at their job, but if you dive deeper into the practices they use that enable them to make so much money, you’ll find yourself hating a lot about it. The tactics used by Raiola and his team were dirty, end of.

Completely true.

Did he do his job brilliantly? I think it depends on what you think his job was.

He made his players millions but his client list is a who's who of missed potential and what ifs. He always had them move for money rather than football reasons.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I read a bit more about Raiola and plan on to read a bit more as well because he sounds like a fascinating character with an unique upbringing. For example, I didn't realise he basically spoke pretty much every major (and some minor ones) Western European language. The FT have an obituary on him and that'll definitely be part of the list. One thing United fans should definitely find relatable in him was that he grew up working hard in an immigrant family and continued that hard work in his career.

While I hated the consequences of his actions, it's amazing how much hate some people hold for him when he was just doing the equivalent of what an estate agent does at the highest and most visible level in football. If his agency went broke, I'd understand the juvelation and if football was some pristine sport, I'd understand it again. But this is not what's happened, so some of you need to take a chill pill.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Must have had amazing man management skills, in addition to his obvious financial nous.
Unironically a legend of the game. :nervous:

Woodzy

Let’s be honest, his job was to get the best deals for himself and his client. Lots of people hated him for it but it was clear he wa good at his job and he evidently had a good relationship with his clients.

We don’t really know what sort of person he was aside from a man trying to do his job. RIP either way.

AFC NimbleThumb

People do understand that an agent speaking badly about a club in public isn’t the only negative thing they can do to a club right? Yes he said some bad things about United [& many other clubs/people] but agents are in & out of clubs all week long making demands/threats. Look at the state of our club, it’s pretty certain some of your favourite players agents are saying far worse about Manchester United than anything he said.

It’s better to look at the words of people who’ve worked with them than some poster who’s feelings got hurt by somethings he once said. Look at the outpouring from clubs/players/networks, seemingly a lot of those that knew him thought highly of him. He pissed people off but who hasn’t.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I have no time for those politicians either and in fact the politicians who make laws in so called democracies to vote themselves increasing salaries, benefits and other privileges are far worse as this legal corruption is just another normal day in normal politics.
However, we're talking about rent seeker agents like Mino R because he is the focus and if anybody can give me any shred of evidence that such parasitical enrichers of themselves are beneficial to contemporary football and to the people who continue to turn out to support their teams, buy their merchandise etc etc, then sorry, you're speaking out of the proverbial backside.
The problem is that rich clubs feed those mega agents so they can have more benefits in the transfer market.
And players love these agents that do all the dirty work for them. If every FA created a ceiling for agent fees things would change.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think it was more that he talked about Pogba leaving every international break the last 3-4 years.

Zero respect for the supporters and creating uncertainty within the dressing room.

So sitting here suddenly pretending to care and beeing political correct feels fake as feck.
He does the dirty work for his clients. If Pogba was shocked by his agent behaviour he would had changed long time ago.

AFC NimbleThumb

I think it was more that he talked about Pogba leaving every international break the last 3-4 years.

Zero respect for the supporters and creating uncertainty within the dressing room.

So sitting here suddenly pretending to care and beeing political correct feels fake as feck.
He didn’t talk about Pogba leaving every international break though. This is the problem, people find instances & extrapolate them. So now you’re upset that he did something for 3-4 years that he didn’t actually do. That’s not an opinion it’s fact, he did not do what you’re upset about.

As for us as supporters, he was heavily criticised by United fans following Pogba going to Juventus, he then brokers a deal back to United. He showed little regard for many clubs, but it’s a little precious to ask for respect when he was labelled all sorts by this fanbase - we knew who he was when he helped get Pogba to Juventus so why are you upset when he did what he always does. . . The trouble is that you think we as fans see it all, agents are doing far more damage behind closed doors where demands/threats are being made daily. I hate hearing people speak i’ll of the club but the faux outrage continuing even in death is ridiculous.

What is ‘fake as feck’ are the posters saying RiP then caveating it with ‘but he was. . .’.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The problem is that rich clubs feed those mega agents so they can have more benefits in the transfer market.
And players love these agents that do all the dirty work for them. If every FA created a ceiling for agent fees things would change.
Exactly. He did what's best for him and his clients. That's what anyone would do, club corporate people are no saints, they will rip off any employee if they can.

Also how we see these agents depends on the deals too, he wasn't that bad when he was throwing chairs to get Mkhi to Manutd and brought Pogba back to ManUtd. We didn't have problem with Mendes who is as bad or even worse.