Miscellaneous facts stats news and chat

Andersons Dietician

Looks like a really good turn out.

Watching this you can see there is a vast difference from where we are at currently and the standard we need to get to. This seems more controlled and deliberate, we’ll get there. James surely isn’t too far away from a call up either.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Looks like a really good turn out.

Watching this you can see there is a vast difference from where we are at currently and the standard we need to get to. This seems more controlled and deliberate, we’ll get there. James surely isn’t too far away from a call up either.
It's striking just how much the standard in women's football has gone up since the WWC in 2015. More fulltime players, more competitive games, the first wave of players who trained with pro coaches at youth level coming through. Obviously, still a massive disparity between the good teams and the poor ones, but that's because the good teams are getting better.

Anyway, England leading 1-0, and could be winning by more. Marta has just gone off.

Grande

It's striking just how much the standard in women's football has gone up since the WWC in 2015. More fulltime players, more competitive games, the first wave of players who trained with pro coaches at youth level coming through. Obviously, still a massive disparity between the good teams and the poor ones, but that's because the good teams are getting better.

Anyway, England leading 1-0, and could be winning by more. Marta has just gone off.
A shame Isobel Christensen isn’t with us.

Member 93275

The top players on fulltime pro contracts (basically the City, Chelsea, Arsenal squads and a smattering of senior players in other teams) were on around £30/40k+.
I wonder what will turn out to work better, slowly and carefully growing the business, or investing more and trying to win the gold race like they are doing in Spain. Lieke Martens' club salary at Barca is £180k but you do get someone a lot of young girls want to be and people want to watch. So should one invest in depth or width.

Reactions: Penna

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I wonder what will turn out to work better, slowly and carefully growing the business, or investing more and trying to win the gold race like they are doing in Spain. Lieke Martens' club salary at Barca is £180k but you do get someone a lot of young girls want to be and people want to watch. So should one invest in depth or width.
It's early days for United (and I suspect it's early days in terms of going to watch women's football for most of the crowd going to watch us live). From that perspective the way the current squad was assembled suits us down to the ground. A lot of players who grew up in our youth team, a lot of other local players who had family/fan ties to the club. It's a young squad and it has just enough ready to go talent to make us viable and enough prospects to make it exciting. Perfect for where we are as a club, and for where most United fans are right now.

It's hard to guess how we'll feel in three years. By then, we'll hopefully be playing the best in England and comparing our squad to theirs and we'll know enough to be proper transfer muppets and to argue about transfer fees and wages. Meanwhile, I suspect we'll all be watching the Women's World Cup that bit more intently, because we'll want to see more of the players behind the names.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
@wajeeh asked last week about women's football on TV. Here are this weekend's televised games:

Sunday 14th October 2018
Man Utd Women v Charlton Athletic Women
FA Women's Championship 12:00 on MUTV

Man City Women v West Ham Women
FA Women's Super League 12:30 BBC Red Button

Chelsea Women v Arsenal Women
FA Women's Super League 14:00 BT Sport 1

Everton Ladies v Brighton & Hove Albion Women
FA Women's Super League 14:00 FA WSL Facebook

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Interesting article about Barca's women's team:
https://www.lavanguardia.com/deport...femenino-beneficios-patrocinador-stanley.html

Apparently it's the only profitable section of Barca, thanks to a 3.5m euro a year sponsorship by Stanley and low wages. To promote them, watching them is free for members, and the tv rights are also free.
Thanks for posting that. It's an interesting look inside the economics of the women's game. We're seeing the chicken/egg effect of rising standards (more pro players, better coaches/facilities) and increased media coverage, with that offering opportunities for new sponsors to get involved with the big names in European football. It's also a reminder that gate receipts are not a guide to the marketability of the team.

The money involved is very small compared to the men's game, for the big European clubs it's an interesting gamble (that can simultaneously be sold as good corporate citizenship - connecting to the community and encouraging healthy exercise). It's seen as a great untapped market, and it's being targeted in the same way that clubs target US fans or Asian fans, except now they're targeting an opportunity they've seen among women and girls, and using it as a way to talk to new sponsors.

Incidentally as an old-timer, there is something faintly amusing about seeing Stanley as their sponsor - given the notoriety of the Stanley knife in the old hooligan days of English football. Liverpool women have a more predictable sponsor - Avon, the cosmetics company. :smirk:

Member 93275

Ha, and I'm somehow envisioning Tim Allen wielding power tools.

But Stanley Black & Decker sponsoring this is actually kind of cool when you think about it - commercially they have the same goal. My local hardware store once was a place where guys got their stuff, and was marketed as such, now it's for women too. Barca and Stanley found each other in untapped markets.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For those getting more interested in women's football generally and who fancy a holiday in France next summer the first batches of tickets for the Women's World Cup go on sale today. If the tweet is to be believed the site goes active at 3pm CET, that's 2pm UK.

If you buy now you're buying tickets for a venue/series of games. Individual match tickets will be available later. The draw for the group stage won't take place until December, so we don't know where England, Scotland etc will play their games.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A bit of news for the Spurs match (4th November) - Leigh stadium are opening east stand.

The main stand that's been in use so far is West Stand - it's where the tunnel/bench is, and it faces the TV Camera, and it's been filling up nicely. They've also been using South stand as the pay at the turnstile seating.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United have decided to sell a family ticket for the Spurs match: that's 2 adult tickets + 2 kids tickets for £10. Prebooked seats only, they need to be bought via the United ticket site. They don't say which stand they'll give to your group.

The Leigh stadium ticketing site lets you choose your stand but doesn't have the special family offer.

:smirk:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Next week is internationals week for the women:
Alex Greenwood is in the England squad.

Emily Ramsey, Ella Toone are in the England U21 squad.

Lizzie Arnot, Kirsty Smith are away with Scotland.

I must admit I keep looking for Kirsty Hanson's name in the Scotland list. She's been in such good form with us, but I guess with the World Cup looming, Scotland will be nervous to disrupt the team chemistry that got them there.

deissler

Next week is internationals week for the women:
Alex Greenwood is in the England squad.

Emily Ramsey, Ella Toone are in the England U21 squad.

Lizzie Arnot, Kirsty Smith are away with Scotland.

I must admit I keep looking for Kirsty Hanson's name in the Scotland list. She's been in such good form with us, but I guess with the World Cup looming, Scotland will be nervous to disrupt the team chemistry that got them there.
Scotland is preparing to fund their world cup team to train full time in preparation for the tournament. I find it weird since Hanson is already FT player, in good form too. Saw name like Zoe Ness is named as forward (Durham-semi-pro). She only scored one goal so far, and only recently made international in March. Scotland need to be bold, bringing in their most in form player. I think when you play friendlies, it is the best time to experiment.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
How much do our women players get paid weekly? I am just curious.
We don't know - there's a lot less media around chasing leaks and taking to agents etc, and the money involved is low, so it's not the stuff of headlines even when they do find out. So I'm going by what other clubs (in particular, the top 6 in WSL1) were reported to be paying their pro players last season.

Annual wages will typically be somewhere between £10k and £50k. Our best paid player is probably Alex Greenwood, who'll be getting an additional wage (about £25k) from the FA as an England player.

I'd guess we're helping the younger ones with their college fees as well. We're probably also helping with relocation costs for the older ones and housing for the younger ones (there's at least one shared house we've seen in the women's social media posts!)

It's a very different financial setup to the men's game.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
We don't know - there's a lot less media around chasing leaks and taking to agents etc, and the money involved is low, so it's not the stuff of headlines even when they do find out. So I'm going by what other clubs (in particular, the top 6 in WSL1) were reported to be paying their pro players last season.

Annual wages will typically be somewhere between £10k and £50k. Our best paid player is probably Alex Greenwood, who'll be getting an additional wage (about £25k) from the FA as an England player.

I'd guess we're helping the younger ones with their college fees as well. We're probably also helping with relocation costs for the older ones and housing for the younger ones (there's at least one shared house we've seen in the women's social media posts!)

It's a very different financial setup to the men's game.
Yeah that's interesting. I guess they must not be full time then and doing this part time?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I am toying with the idea of going to Yeovil V Man City on Sunday. Yeovil are playing their home games at Dorchester which is 25 minutes from me.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I am toying with the idea of going to Yeovil V Man City on Sunday. Yeovil are playing their home games at Dorchester which is 25 minutes from me.
Why not, somebody needs to cheer every time City lose the ball. Yeovil have been struggling - they won 1-0 against (bottom of the table) Everton, but those are the only points they've got this season.

Yeovil are a well established club but they've had to work really hard on fundraising with the licence changes for WSL1. They've been attracting reasonable crowds as well, around 700 for the Everton match, but I'm sure they'll appreciate your cash :smirk:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For reference, a couple of articles on club finances.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-city-arsenal-liverpool-everton-a8270911.html
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/nov/13/womens-football-finances

City apparently spent around £1.5m in total on their women's team for the 4 seasons from 2014-2017 whereas Everton's women turned in a small profit in the period.

Meaningful comparisons and conclusions are hard to come by though - not all accounts are published and of the ones that are, not all show all spending. Some accounts show the costs of stadium rental and training facilities. Some accounts only treat players as women's team employees, with everyone else from the manager to the bus driver shown as parent club employees.

In general though, women's teams are running at a loss, and where they are making a small profit it's off the back of sponsors who are interested in the longterm potential (TV marketing value) of the game rather than the matchday income. Those small profits are probably now losses with the increased costs of being in WSL1, and the clubs running on the tightest budgets are now slipping down the table.

2016 2015 2014 (Total)
Arsenal -£264,000 -£54,000 -£27,000 -£75,000 (-£420,000)
Everton £2,478 £27,867 £5,260 £7,789 (£43,394)
Liverpool -£56,022 -£67,679 -£112,897 -£62,737 (-£299,335)
Manchester City -£749,000 -£399,000 -£271,000 -£65,000 (-£1,484,000)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It doesn't look like United's match is being streamed tomorrow, United have started to upload some goals during the games on their Twitter feed and we usually get some kind of highlights package a day or so later on our opponent's YouTube channel for the away games. But there are a couple of interesting early kickoff WSL1 matches being broadcast live - if you're curious about the standards we're hoping to be up against next year.

Everton Ladies v Liverpool Women 12:00
FA WSL Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/FAWSL/
That's Willie Kirk's new team in local derby action for his first match in charge.
Man City Women v Arsenal Women 12:30
BBC Connected TV / BBC Red Button / BBC Sport Website
That's top of the table Arsenal (9 wins in 9 matches!) vs second place City, who are 6 points behind them.