Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Does anyone know how to get hold of a pass for the U18 games. I’m looking to move up to Manchester soon and would like to go to the U18 games if possible.
You turn up for one of the first scheduled games and ask for a pass. You have to sign a few forms but that's about it. After that it becomes tougher as you need a pass to get in. Then you probably have to email the Academy in advance.

Beaucoup

Cos he can juggle a ball in his back garden? Sharpe looks decent. Not having kaba is u14. Someone's having a laugh.
I've now seen all three play for the academy, it's also the opinion of a few of the lads.

Beaucoup

What positions are they all? And what's their best attributes so far?
I don't really want to dissect the game of 14 and 15 year old boys, however I will say they probably sit ability wise in the middle of the group in their respective ages.

Bigsid

I've now seen all three play for the academy, it's also the opinion of a few of the lads.
Do you believe that Kaba is u14 as I hear it said at other clubs that he is much older.

Given the money quoted you would guess they would be above the middle of their groups!

Bertie Wooster

I don't really want to dissect the game of 14 and 15 year old boys, however I will say they probably sit ability wise in the middle of the group in their respective ages.
I was only really asking about the positions they play in and their best attributes - i. e. pace, dribbling, defending, etc.
If you're not comfortable with the latter, could you at least say what positions they play in?

jb8521

Cos he can juggle a ball in his back garden? Sharpe looks decent. Not having kaba is u14. Someone's having a laugh.
You're not having it that Kaba is u14 despite him looking young & not being particularly physically developed other than being a bit tall? Plenty of lads in that age group who are far more physically developed & look a lot older but are white so there's no question about their age. Funny how that works.

Bigsid

You're not having it that Kaba is u14 despite him looking young & not being particularly physically developed other than being a bit tall? Plenty of lads in that age group who are far more physically developed & look a lot older but are white so there's no question about their age. Funny how that works.
Never that for me. As I've said previously there are a number of African/non UK born kids in the academy system that have (should we say) questionable age identification given there are no registrations in their countries of birth. Am sure the likes of Beaucoup would agree and its certainly not a United only problem. You may be right but am afraid I'm dubious unless they are actually born in this country these days.

Beaucoup

I've seen him and I would say he looks his age, there's bigger in our U14's

Bigsid

I've seen him and I would say he looks his age, there's bigger in our U14's
I will bow to your judgement but am sure you can understand my hesitancy given what we have all seen over the years!

Sea-Cow

I will bow to your judgement but am sure you can understand my hesitancy given what we have all seen over the years!
Do you mind sharing the evidence on what we've all seen? Just curious, maybe I've missed all of the obvious examples when it has been proven, and ya know, not just mindless rumors and innuendo...

Bigsid

Do you mind sharing the evidence on what we've all seen? Just curious, maybe I've missed all of the obvious examples when it has been proven, and ya know, not just mindless rumors and innuendo...
Given age fraud amongst African countries across many Fifa tournaments which have been documented and the fact that in some countries you have as much as 5 years to register a birth it's hardly a revelation! Given the riches on offer it can hardly be surprising either. I'm simply dubious having seen it on so many occasions.

Beaucoup

Given age fraud amongst African countries across many Fifa tournaments which have been documented and the fact that in some countries you have as much as 5 years to register a birth it's hardly a revelation! Given the riches on offer it can hardly be surprising either. I'm simply dubious having seen it on so many occasions.
I've seen it plenty of times myself, there have been a few at Utd in recent years, however, it's a lot worse in Europe.

jb8521

Never that for me. As I've said previously there are a number of African/non UK born kids in the academy system that have (should we say) questionable age identification given there are no registrations in their countries of birth. Am sure the likes of Beaucoup would agree and its certainly not a United only problem. You may be right but am afraid I'm dubious unless they are actually born in this country these days.
I think he was born in France & the family moved over when he was younger

Bertie Wooster

The U18's play tomorrow afternoon at 1pm, away to Sunderland.

Before anyone says anything, I have started a thread for posts about the game - I'm just alerting people to the unusual day and kick off time of the next U18 match. :)

UtdDonovan

Goodmorning. Does anyone know if James Scanlon is now officially a United player? I have not yet seen presentation photos of him like Sharpe and Kaba.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's weird that we sometimes trash teams in u15 and u16 and then lose heavily.

Beaucoup

It's weird that we sometimes trash teams in u15 and u16 and then lose heavily.
Not really, lots of chopping and changing, more than half the U15 team were U14 and half the U16 team were U15, Blackpool also had U18's playing.

Our U16's team next year will be very strong.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not really, lots of chopping and changing, more than half the U15 team were U14 and half the U16 team were U15, Blackpool also had U18's playing.

Our U16's team next year will be very strong.
Ah cheers. Didn't know the context.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange to post about games below U18 level (even that feels weird but they're at least possible 1st team candidates)?
I get someone like @Beaucoup has their kid in the academy and will have a lot of knowledge about things so I'm not having a go or anything. I just feel like kids should be allowed to be kids and not have the pressure of grown-ups discussing how good they may or may not be online.

Mr. MUJAC

Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange to post about games below U18 level (even that feels weird but they're at least possible 1st team candidates)?
I get someone like @Beaucoup has their kid in the academy and will have a lot of knowledge about things so I'm not having a go or anything. I just feel like kids should be allowed to be kids and not have the pressure of grown-ups discussing how good they may or may not be online.
I have no problem with providing information, line-ups and results from U/16's up as we've been doing it since 1938. Fans have been watching junior teams at that level and discussing kids coming through for decades. Doing it on the internet is just the modern version of that.

Below that level, U/14's and under for example, then I tend to agree and don't take much notice. But I always take an interest in the next group moving up from 14/15's into the U/16's when it happens.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I have no problem with providing information, line-ups and results from U/16's up as we've been doing it since 1938. Fans have been watching junior teams at that level and discussing kids coming through for decades. Doing it on the internet is just the modern version of that.

Below that level, U/14's and under for example, then I tend to agree and don't take much notice. But I always take an interest in the next group moving up from 14/15's into the U/16's when it happens.
I agree it's the modern version of discussing the next generation. The difference between then and now is that players and parents can quite easily find the discussion.
And I do understand the interest as they're potentially the future of the club, it just feels weird to me that they can read about themselves here.

Bondi77

I agree it's the modern version of discussing the next generation. The difference between then and now is that players and parents can quite easily find the discussion.
And I do understand the interest as they're potentially the future of the club, it just feels weird to me that they can read about themselves here.
Maybe even agents read up on the progress of the youngsters here and move in on the ones whom are doing well.

Loopy

[QUOTE="Maagge, post: 27150633, member: 62500"

[/QUOTE]
agreed, it could be very damaging for a child to read this.

If a kid is at Utd, U12-U16 they must have potential, that’s a given.

We need to acknowledge that these boys are growing (with all the physical pain and coordination issues that occur with growing) some mature and build up quicker, it’s unfair comparing them to themselves week on week, let alone benchmarking to others.

They are learning their trade alongside trying to achieve academically and socially. They are doing this a good 5-10 years before any other professional commences their learning. They are not Pro’s, they are not scholars, they are school boys, they will make mistakes as an individual and as a team. They need to make mistakes (and not feel frighted about making mistakes) to develop.

It does angst me when I read how our u13 got beat or our u15 had a bad match and some U16 (future)scholars were in the team (then derogatory comments re the future scholars).

yep they should be the best, they are Manchester United, but you only get to be the best physically and mentally by having to learn, we want them to be the best, but also humble, mentally strong and physically gifted.
It’s fascinating reading about these boys, and their talents, I’m sure a few will be around for many years with the club and navy more will have a career in football.
As fans / supporters (and adults) we have a responsibility to support this process. We have already seen how Shola’s dad is reading these messages and many people have kids & relatives in the academy.

Mr. MUJAC

Firstly, there are no fans allowed to watch Academy football. You cannot get access to matches below U/16's and they even stop fans watching some U16 games.

Therefore supporters on here commenting on players performances, progress, skills, development or potential isn't based on anything they have seen.

The only information that comes out is from the kids themselves, parents, scouts or coaches.

It's piecemeal and often just a result which in itself doesn't mean much.

Anyone making stupid comments about an U/12 game they haven't even seen just need calling out. I don't think coaches or scouts are making bad comments (why would they?) so the only people who may be disparaging would be other players and parents?

Beaucoup

It’s a tricky one, however football has changed over the last few years, with escalating transfer fees the focus has been pushed into the younger age groups when it comes to searching out talent. Agents are all over the younger age groups and serious money is changing hands for under age players. Brexit will only make this worse and I predict a huge upsurge in academy to academy trading which will only increase the profile and spotlight on younger players.

Social media also has a huge part to play, most of the results/match info is easy to find and in the most part comes directly from the lads posting on various social media platforms. Adidas have just launched a high profile social media campaign featuring underage players, why would they do that? because these lads have thousands of followers and fans are genuinely interested in the players coming through their clubs academy.

Bertie Wooster

I'm relatively new to this
It’s a tricky one, however football has changed over the last few years, with escalating transfer fees the focus has been pushed into the younger age groups when it comes to searching out talent. Agents are all over the younger age groups and serious money is changing hands for under age players. Brexit will only make this worse and I predict a huge upsurge in academy to academy trading which will only increase the profile and spotlight on younger players.

Social media also has a huge part to play, most of the results/match info is easy to find and in the most part comes directly from the lads posting on various social media platforms. Adidas have just launched a high profile social media campaign featuring underage players, why would they do that? because these lads have thousands of followers and fans are genuinely interested in the players coming through their clubs academy.
Yep, good points.

I don't really understand where the debate has come from, TBH. The only thing I ever see about teams below under 18's on here is the results being published - I don't see any analysis / criticism of individual players.

The debate about player strengths and weaknesses starts when players reach U18 level - which is fair enough as plenty of 16/17/18 year olds are deemed old enough to play first team football so are certainly old enough to have their ability discussed on here.

Classical Mechanic

Some parents actively promote their talented children too. There have been numerous 'youtube legends'. Look at someone like Omari Hutchinson, there are probably hundreds of videos of him on youtube chronicling his youth career since he was about 10 years old.

Loopy

Firstly, there are no fans allowed to watch Academy football. You cannot get access to matches below U/16's and they even stop fans watching some U16 games.

Therefore supporters on here commenting on players performances, progress, skills, development or potential isn't based on anything they have seen.

The only information that comes out is from the kids themselves, parents, scouts or coaches.

Anyone making stupid comments about an U/12 game they haven't even seen just need calling out. I don't think coaches or scouts are making bad comments (why would they?) so the only people who may be disparaging would be other players and parents?
I’ve

obviously not at the moment, but when things get back to normal do you know how to get tickets for the academy games (U16 and up)?
Some parents actively promote their talented children too. There have been numerous 'youtube legends'. Look at someone like Omari Hutchinson, there are probably hundreds of videos of him on youtube chronicling his youth career since he was about 10 years old.
On this point has any of these you tube / wonder kids ever made it big? I’m thinking over the past 10-15 years?

I’ve seen a few “training” videos (some obviously speed up and some amazingly talented fast feet kids) and some very edited clips of matches
Some have professional sports video services to tidy clips, so it’s hard to see the real raw talent.

As the years roll on i would expect one of these 10 year old wonder kids from you tube 10/12 years ago to have made it by now.

Classical Mechanic

On this point has any of these you tube / wonder kids ever made it big? I’m thinking over the past 10-15 years?

I’ve seen a few “training” videos (some obviously speed up and some amazingly talented fast feet kids) and some very edited clips of matches
Some have professional sports video services to tidy clips, so it’s hard to see the real raw talent.

As the years roll on i would expect one of these 10 year old wonder kids from you tube 10/12 years ago to have made it by now.
I think they’re only just getting to the age to break through. The three that come to mind are Xavi Simons, Karamoko Dembele and Omari Hutchinson. A lot of people say that Simons isn’t that good. He's at PSG and plays for Holland's youth teams but I don't know too much about him. Dembele is looking to leave Celtic at the end of this season and has lots of caps for England but hasn't progressed as quickly as Bellingham or Elliot who were in the same England age group. Hutchinson is doing well as far as I'm aware and plays for England. I guess the danger is that the exposure creates too much pressure and they end up like Sonny Pike and crash out of the game. Maybe kids these days are more used to a public life through growing up with social media.