Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sign him up!
He is going to be a beast in a couple of years (he is not far off it now)
Looks talented, but will he be able to resist the allure of Dortmund? I don't think he will.

Last edited:

Bondi77

Dortmund is a mystical place,
Players seem to go there and play out of their skin and then leave to go to another club and the form goes up in a puff of smoke.. I really hope Sancho bucks the trend.

lysglimt

Scout
Dortmund is a mystical place,
Players seem to go there and play out of their skin and then leave to go to another club and the form goes up in a puff of smoke.. I really hope Sancho bucks the trend.
The advantage of going to Dortmund is that you get game-time from a very young age if you are good enough - and they usually don't stand in the way of their players leaving a couple of years later. So yeah, I can see why Dortmund is tempting for a youngster

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
His older brother, Caleb, made a few appearances for Northampton Town this season, apparently Caleb has all the talent in the world, but lacks a bit of application, and hard graft. Carney was also at The Cobblers Academy, but was picked up by Villa around 12 or 13. Seems to have all the qualities required to make it, Caleb I'm not so sure, but hopefully will sign pro forms at Northampton. Max Dyche, son of Sean, has just signed his first Pro contract at Six fields, along with a few other lads, could be an interesting season after the last few seasons drab stuff under Keith Curle.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Calum Gribbin has just been released by Barrow. I believe he was very highly thought of a few years ago.

lenny_1248

Calum Gribbin has just been released by Barrow. I believe he was very highly thought of a few years ago.
What happened with him btw? Just a poor attitude?
I remember there were some speculations about failed drug test...

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I don't really know. Other posters with a far better knowledge of these things than me may give us an insight.

Bertie Wooster

I don't really know. Other posters with a far better knowledge of these things than me may give us an insight.
I'm not 'in the know' so I've no idea if there were any off field / personal issues as well, but I know he suffered badly with injuries in his last few seasons with us and rarely featured.

He was very highly rated so I've no idea whether those injuries have caused long term physical issues that have limited his ability; or whether it's also an attitude / commitment thing as happens with some talented youngsters who struggle to make it at the professional level?

Champagne Football

Nice to see Villa win the FA youth Cup. First time a big club hasn't won it since Norwich in 2013.

Mad to think been 10 years since Man Utd last won it.

Sea-Cow

Nice to see Villa win the FA youth Cup. First time a big club hasn't won it since Norwich in 2013.

Mad to think been 10 years since Man Utd last won it.
I wish there was more info on the game. Have heard good things about the Villa team.

Beaucoup

I wish there was more info on the game. Have heard good things about the Villa team.
The game was on live on BT sport, Villa played very well and battered Liverpool, the score didn't do their performance justice.

Sea-Cow

The game was on live on BT sport, Villa played very well and battered Liverpool, the score didn't do their performance justice.
How did that Carney lad look? And the Villa lad they got from Barca? Anyone else stand out?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How did that Carney lad look? And the Villa lad they got from Barca? Anyone else stand out?
Their number 9 was very game. Brad Young I think he was called. Not as natural a finisher as Louie Barry though I don't think. I also thought Villa's defence was very composed and well coached. Particularly the 2 centre backs - good, positioning, strong in the air, Swinkels had a lovely long pass on him. Wouldn't be shocked if one or 2 of their defenders made it to the first team at all.

Connor C

Interesting, thought Mee was off
Looks like we’re gonna have a clear out of keepers this summer at First team, 23s and 18s with pretty much all the keepers listed as 23s players on the website leaving/going on loan. I thought Mee would leave as well with Vitek and Guadagno being the 23s keepers next season, obviously not though although one of them might be loaned out and Vitek might step up cause we still have Polakowski who hasn’t played this season for the 18s.

Bigsid

Have we changed policy in transfers for academy players as in 14s 15s and 16s we seem to be signing a hell of a lot from other clubs.

Beaucoup

Have we changed policy in transfers for academy players as in 14s 15s and 16s we seem to be signing a hell of a lot from other clubs.
Brexit means we can’t bring them in until U18, going to be a lot of inter-academy trading going on at U16 and below.

Beaucoup

Man Utd U16 3-2 Leicester, final game of the season, lots of U15s featured. Chris Popov played for Leicester.

Pretty sure most of the lads have hooked up scholarships with various clubs for next season.