Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Mickson

Think a lot of these players are further away from the first team than people think.

Should be dominating and beating the likes of Crystal palace even with a few out on loan.

Elanga has looked a mile of Premier League level in his performances so far which says a lot about where the rest of them are at.
The U23 has some very mediocre players mostly, but some interesting as well who could be first-team players: Hannibal, Fernandez, and Shoretire among them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is this accurate @Mickson ? Hannibal created our first goal with a driving run which opened up space for Shoretire for a simple assist. Then got a assist via a corner as described in the below tweet..

Mickson

Is this accurate @Mickson ? Hannibal created our first goal with a driving run which opened up space for Shoretire for a simple assist. Then got a assist via a corner as described in the below tweet..

It wasn't an assist. He took the corner then someone headed the ball, then Hardley got a toe on it and Fish smashed it in from close range. He wasn't good, none where (although United was better in the second half but should be very, very happy to score two goals from the dew chances they had). Much better in the second half but still not good enough. They keep giving the ball away and the attacking phase looks very dull without much creativity or speed

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It wasn't an assist. He took the corner then someone headed the ball, then Hardley got a toe on it and Fish smashed it in from close range. He wasn't good, none where (although United was better in the second half but should be very, very happy to score two goals from the dew chances they had). Much better in the second half but still not good enough. They keep giving the ball away and the attacking phase looks very dull without much creativity or speed
Cheers mate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think a lot of these players are further away from the first team than people think.

Should be dominating and beating the likes of Crystal palace even with a few out on loan.

Elanga has looked a mile of Premier League level in his performances so far which says a lot about where the rest of them are at.
Not necessarily, I wouldn’t say Elanga was seen as the biggest talent in our academy or something.

lysglimt

Scout
Not necessarily, I wouldn’t say Elanga was seen as the biggest talent in our academy or something.
He has been head and shoulders above everyone else the last 12 months. Before that I would rank Hannibal and Shoretire above him - but none of them have been very good this season. Elanga always looked dangerous when he was playing for the reserves - Shoretire has a bit of the same but not as frequent as Elanga. Hannibal is a walking red card with his temper - and he is nowhere near ready for the P.L mentally or physically.

pascell

Do MUTV show the Youth Cup game on Thursday and the U23 game on Friday in the UK?
They used to show the Youth Cup games if I remember right. You might catch that on an FA player online if not, the u23 game should definitely be on but I've seen a few criticising MUTV this season so who knows anymore

Bertie Wooster

Do MUTV show the Youth Cup game on Thursday and the U23 game on Friday in the UK?
They used to show the Youth Cup games if I remember right. You might catch that on an FA player online if not, the u23 game should definitely be on but I've seen a few criticising MUTV this season so who knows anymore
So far, the Youth Cup game is listed for live coverage from 6.45pm on Thursday. And all the other rounds have been on live as well.

But the U23 is only listed for delayed full match replay from 10pm, as there's a PL match on Friday night at 8pm. A rare match on a Friday night this season and it clashes with a rare Friday night PL game!

Mickson

So far, the Youth Cup game is listed for live coverage from 6.45pm on Thursday. And all the other rounds have been on live as well.

But the U23 is only listed for delayed full match replay from 10pm, as there's a PL match on Friday night at 8pm. A rare match on a Friday night this season and it clashes with a rare Friday night PL game!
Thanks. VPN again it is, and of course a PL game at the same time... I bought Crystal Palace TV last week and I've paid for LFC TV before as well. Soon I will have everything.

Sea-Cow

Is our U-19 still in the youth Champions League equivalent? When is their next game?

stealthy

Have to be honest Chelsea are bench mark currently when you look at how many proper top level pros they have produced. Just look at it Tomori, Gallagher, Hudson Odoi, Abraham, Mount, etc ………. Credit where it’s due

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Have to be honest Chelsea are bench mark currently when you look at how many proper top level pros they have produced. Just look at it Tomori, Gallagher, Hudson Odoi, Abraham, Mount, etc ………. Credit where it’s due
James is the only top class player they've produced as yet IMO but have to agree with you about the quantity of classy players they produce.

stealthy

James is the only top class player they've produced as yet IMO but have to agree with you about the quantity of classy players they produce.
forgot James, that’s what I mean so many through premier league, the rest playing catch up United included.
I could get a barrage here and it’s early days but I’m yet to be convinced on Elanga as long term United player. Love his effort, pace, etc, but not sure on technical quality and decision making which should be in place through academy ?. Hope I’m wrong

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
forgot James, that’s what I mean so many through premier league, the rest playing catch up United included.
I could get a barrage here and it’s early days but I’m yet to be convinced on Elanga as long term United player. Love his effort, pace, etc, but not sure on technical quality and decision making which should be in place through academy ?. Hope I’m wrong
I think Elanga's technical ability is very good though not world class, but actually I'm pretty impressed with his decision making. The way he plays makes it very easy to forget he's 19 and has next to no top level experience. I think he has a higher ceiling than Mason Mount for example personally.

stealthy

I think Elanga's technical ability is very good though not world class, but actually I'm pretty impressed with his decision making. The way he plays makes it very easy to forget he's 19 and has next to no top level experience. I think he has a higher ceiling than Mason Mount for example personally.
Mason Mount technically very very good and super intelligent so I hope you’ve called that one right and it’s not them red tinted glasses

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Lot's going at Youth level over the weekend.

Friday night saw the U/23's win 5-2 at home to Derby County with a strong second half performance. Fernandez, Mejbri (p), Emeran, Savage and Shoretire with the goals...Norkett, Stanley and a cameo for Maxi Oyedele who all came on as subs in the second half.

On Saturday, the U/16's qualified for the semi-finals of the Premier League Cup after a 4-3 win against Spurs. The game went into extra time after Spurs scored a late equaliser and United who had a man sent off, scored a winner and managed to hang on. They now play Sunderland with a chance to reach the final. Goals from Kingdon, Ogunneye, Nolan (p) and Wheatley.

The U/15's also played in the National Qualifiers with games against Stoke City and Nottingham Forest. We lost 0-1 to Stoke and beat Forest 4-0 with goals from Lacey 2, Ibragimov and Abbas. Adam Abbas is a recent signing from a non-league Academy. We qualified for the finals as one of the best second placed teams.

Tomorrow night we face Borussia Dortmund in the next round of the UEFA Youth League at Leight Sports Village...8:00pm kick-off.

Bertie Wooster

Lot's going at Youth level over the weekend.

Friday night saw the U/23's win 5-2 at home to Derby County with a strong second half performance. Fernandez, Mejbri (p), Emeran, Savage and Shoretire with the goals...Norkett, Stanley and a cameo for Maxi Oyedele who all came on as subs in the second half.

On Saturday, the U/16's qualified for the semi-finals of the Premier League Cup after a 4-3 win against Spurs. The game went into extra time after Spurs scored a late equaliser and United who had a man sent off, scored a winner and managed to hang on. They now play Sunderland with a chance to reach the final. Goals from Kingdon, Ogunneye, Nolan (p) and Wheatley.

The U/15's also played in the National Qualifiers with games against Stoke City and Nottingham Forest. We lost 0-1 to Stoke and beat Forest 4-0 with goals from Lacey 2, Ibragimov and Abbas. Adam Abbas is a recent signing from a non-league Academy. We qualified for the finals as one of the best second placed teams.

Tomorrow night we face Borussia Dortmund in the next round of the UEFA Youth League at Leight Sports Village...8:00pm kick-off.
Thanks for all that. :)

Good to see the U15's and 16's progressed. I recognise all those scorers (apart from Abbas) from watching the Milk Cup games in Northern Ireland at the start of the season on the BBC site. And some of them - Ogunneye, Nolan, Kingdon? - have already featured for the U18's.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The semifinal line-up for the FA Youth Cup is now complete, after Nottingham Forest defeat Blackburn 1-3 in their quarter final.

Man Utd v Wolves / Chelsea v Nottingham Forest

lysglimt

Scout
I really hope - regardless of who our manager is next season, that we start giving some of our youngsters a chance. I am not entirely convinced either Fernandez, Shoretire or Mejbri is ready to take the step up, but it would be wrong of us not to give them the chance as they all have potential to play at the highest level. Hannibal can easily be a regular in our central midfield for years to come - the only thing standing in his way is his temper, and the last few games I have seen him - he has looked more composed. Shoretire just lacks consistency and a bit of muscles - he will get both. Fernandez needs to iron out his defensive howlers - but in his defense, Rio was just as bad when he was young. So all 3 can be United regulars in 18 months.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Heard he's a bit of a monster at youth level, think you can even find a few clips of him floating about on Twitter/YouTube.
Depends what you mean by 'monster'. He is captain of the U/15's...can play in multiple positions...has an eye for goal...technically very good.

But he is quite small like many others in that age group so not a 'monster' in physique.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Depends what you mean by 'monster'. He is captain of the U/15's...can play in multiple positions...has an eye for goal...technically very good.

But he is quite small like many others in that age group so not a 'monster' in physique.
Ability moreso than physique, just a daft expression on my part.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
It genuinely feels great to have our lads in a Youth Cup Final again.

They can count themselves very unlucky that they didn't progress in the Champions League against Dortmund and quite deservedly find themselves in a show piece final. For it to be at Old Trafford as well ranks as special.

I'm buzzing for them tbh...great to see the talent and unity they have as a group. I know it's unlikely we will see 4 or 5 make the step up but there are certainly some promising signs.

It's my feel good post :)

Mickson

U23 are playing tonight. I will maybe give a few updates here later, as I will be watching most of the game.

Mickson

Leeds leading after the first 45 with 1-0. It could've been more. You have all seen this half before. They keep losing the ball in the build-up against an aggressive Leeds team, with plenty of merited players. Leeds plays with intensity and United has found it difficult. Especially Hannibal reacted strongly to every foul, put his head against one player, and received a yellow. I've seen players get a red for that. United has had some decent chances as well, there are times when you see the quality. One player does something good, and then another does the same. But it's too often Shoretire for example just disappears. I think it's tactical. They have not developed for the whole season, and not the one before either, in the build-up play and it can go 10 minutes where players simply do not receive the ball because they find it so difficult to beat the press. Mastny best player so far. Fish and Hardley are really struggling because in a high line, they are forced to one on one and they are beaten almost every time.

Sea-Cow

Leeds leading after the first 45 with 1-0. It could've been more. You have all seen this half before. They keep losing the ball in the build-up against an aggressive Leeds team, with plenty of merited players. Leeds plays with intensity and United has found it difficult. Especially Hannibal reacted strongly to every foul, put his head against one player, and received a yellow. I've seen players get a red for that. United has had some decent chances as well, there are times when you see the quality. One player does something good, and then another does the same. But it's too often Shoretire for example just disappears. I think it's tactical. They have not developed for the whole season, and not the one before either, in the build-up play and it can go 10 minutes where players simply do not receive the ball because they find it so difficult to beat the press. Mastny best player so far. Fish and Hardley are really struggling because in a high line, they are forced to one on one and they are beaten almost every time.
Thank you for the update!

Mickson

Well, the second half wasn't much better. Hannibal tried to hold off two players, lost the ball, complained and Leeds scored. Then Mastny made a stupid error where he was out of position and passed the ball into the middle and they scored in the open goal. The same mistakes every week and I'm a little pissed off as to why I paid Leeds to watch this in hindsight. United had a lot of the ball but rarely threatened. Hannibal can't keep playing here, gets kicked a lot, complains, loses the ball in dangerous positions and I just don't see the point. Loan him out or use him in the first-team, IMO he would be better there with more protection and he would do better if he was more humble where he isn't the best player on the pitch. I'm starting to doubt Neil Wood as well, even though we have some mediocre players I often wonder what the plan with our football is. They make sooo many mistakes and they are not particularly young anymore. Really annoying to watch a team that does the same mistakes time and time again. It's really a season where I can't say for sure that a U23 player has taken a clear step in his development. Leeds was dirty and played intensive and direct and 3-0, unfortunately, tells the story tonight.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sounds like a great day for us all round @Mickson :lol: appreciate the updates though mate.