Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The first team are not playing today so how come the U-23 match isn't live on MUTV?
Not sure. It's really annoying though. MUTV have been rubbish with youth games recently. Is there anywhere we can watch the Liverpool game?

Mr. P.

According to mutv I t’s when premier league games are on at the same time they can’t broadcast live Recently they’ve shown full game later on that day but not today. So annoying.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Penalty to Liverpool but Vitek saves it. Still 1-1.

edit: 2-1 Liverpool now.

SmashedHombre

Wonder if we will make changes at half time, with tomorrow's game in mind. Can't imagine we're that bothered about 3rd place in the U23s league

SmashedHombre

Wonder if we will make changes at half time, with tomorrow's game in mind. Can't imagine we're that bothered about 3rd place in the U23s league
Nope. Mejbri, Garnacho, and Fernandez didn't come off till 70th minute. Shoretire still on the pitch. Can't imagine any of them will be appearing tomorrow. Strange decision.

Currently 3-1 to Liverpool.

Bigsid

Nope. Mejbri, Garnacho, and Fernandez didn't come off till 70th minute. Shoretire still on the pitch. Can't imagine any of them will be appearing tomorrow. Strange decision.

Currently 3-1 to Liverpool.
Do any look ready for our first team?

SmashedHombre

Do any look ready for our first team?
Mejbri probably looks closest. I also suspect he is a player who could grow a lot with first team exposure.

Tbh though most of our first team don’t look ready for the first team so who knows. Inserting young players into a dysfunctional unit probably isn’t gonna help them much either. If Mejbri plays it’ll have to be with Matic as I doubt any of our first teamers could guide a dog to its dinner, never mind a young midfielder making one of his first appearances.

Sea-Cow

Mejbri probably looks closest. I also suspect he is a player who could grow a lot with first team exposure.

Tbh though most of our first team don’t look ready for the first team so who knows. Inserting young players into a dysfunctional unit probably isn’t gonna help them much either. If Mejbri plays it’ll have to be with Matic as I doubt any of our first teamers could guide a dog to its dinner, never mind a young midfielder making one of his first appearances.
Haha -- how did Mejbri and the others look today against Pool?

lysglimt

Scout
I think the priority was for players leaving (Cavani and jones). I don’t mind it tbh there’s still 2 games.
As it stands - chances are our last game will be mean very little - if West Ham only pick up 3 points against Norwich and City, we get one point against Brighton - our last game wont mean anything as we will end 6th. If that is the case we can give a few players their full debut at Palace

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I think the priority was for players leaving (Cavani and jones). I don’t mind it tbh there’s still 2 games.
I hate this sentimentality bullshit that's seeped into the club the past decade, I mean, these two players have been terrible buys for us, haven't really contributed to any success (Jones was part of that era, but he's a sicknote) - these guys got paid huge money to help make United a success, and they failed.

Bring through the next generation (to see if they're good enough), we're basically just wasting our time giving players send offs for very little upside, they're leaving, they'll no longer be apart of our future, play the future, see if they sink or swim.

Geez.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hate this sentimentality bullshit that's seeped into the club the past decade, I mean, these two players have been terrible buys for us, haven't really contributed to any success (Jones was part of that era, but he's a sicknote) - these guys got paid huge money to help make United a success, and they failed.

Bring through the next generation (to see if they're good enough), we're basically just wasting our time giving players send offs for very little upside, they're leaving, they'll no longer be apart of our future, play the future, see if they sink or swim.

Geez.
Cavani ok, I don't necessarily agree with you but it wouldn't be so sad if he didn't get to say goodbye. Jones though, come on, he's eligible for a testimonial, least we can do is bring him on for 5 mins at the end of a dead game to say his goodbyes. Not his fault Woodward and the clown show gave him a new contract, he's been a good, honest servant to us and always tried his best. It's not like those minutes will make or break Fernandez or Garnacho's careers. The sentimentality certainly seemed to work out in our performance yesterday as well, all the old timers who started showed them how it's done and created a good atmosphere to the game.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Cavani ok, I don't necessarily agree with you but it wouldn't be so sad if he didn't get to say goodbye. Jones though, come on, he's eligible for a testimonial, least we can do is bring him on for 5 mins at the end of a dead game to say his goodbyes. Not his fault Woodward and the clown show gave him a new contract, he's been a good, honest servant to us and always tried his best. It's not like those minutes will make or break Fernandez or Garnacho's careers. The sentimentality certainly seemed to work out in our performance yesterday as well, all the old timers who started showed them how it's done and created a good atmosphere to the game.
Our opinions clearly differ, but I respect your opinion, I did try to be a little more understanding towards Jones as he was a part (small) of our successful past.

I do think the kids should have had a run out though, when else will they et a run out? During the start of next season? Cup games? Or perhaps the last few games next season, or is that reserved again for players who are leaving?

I just think if they're leaving, why give them game time, give the kids some reward for developing this season rather than being sentimental for sentimentality sake.

Prodigal7

Geez.
I probably agree with you but it’s only 1 match that we need to win for europa league qualification. There are 2 more games still and I would expect to see some of the youngsters feature in those.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I probably agree with you but it’s only 1 match that we need to win for europa league qualification. There are 2 more games still and I would expect to see some of the youngsters feature in those.
I probably am going a bit overboard, reading the Lingard thread probably set me off, but still the fact remains, if these kids can't hang onto the lead against Brentford then it'll prove they need a loan etc.

What if Garnacho came on yesterday and scored a brace? How much confidence that would give him for next season? Now he's starting from zero and will probably have to wait until next year to get any meaningful game time unless Ten Hag picks him over established players.

Prodigal7

I probably am going a bit overboard, reading the Lingard thread probably set me off, but still the fact remains, if these kids can't hang onto the lead against Brentford then it'll prove they need a loan etc.

What if Garnacho came on yesterday and scored a brace? How much confidence that would give him for next season? Now he's starting from zero and will probably have to wait until next year to get any meaningful game time unless Ten Hag picks him over established players.
I agree but I also think that youth players scoring and getting hyped up is actually a bad thing. Look what it’s done to rashford. The media hype them up and make people perceive them as way ahead of where they actually are, just because they score a few goals. Then our fans get carried away and the whole thing becomes an out of control train that’s waiting to crash. I say let the manager decide the times to introduce them and trust that they’ve got it right, Rangnick is still much more qualified than we are and is genuinely keen on developing academy and young players.

Slightly tangential point, but I look at Mctominay and Lingard and they’ve never shown that they could be Man United players in the sense of helping us compete at the highest level, but they were played constantly (apart from Lingard this year) and we never brought to supplement or replace them, which is madness. We need to be more meritocratic and ruthless and less charitable with our selections and transfer business. Especially when it comes to our academy players, if they’re good enough they’ll keep their place against any newcomers but we can’t just keep playing them hoping they’ll miraculously come good when they’ve shown consistently that they’re not up to it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

If Garnacho blew the lead against Brentford all it would tell us is he’s a 17 year old who isn’t ready which we already know based off his poor performances against the likes of Blackburn u18s and achieving nothing at u23s level yet. We don’t need to throw away first team matches to find that out.

What if Garnacho came on yesterday and was completely bullied, was at fault for giving away goals and throwing away the match, getting hurt and completely destroying all of his confidence?

Mickson

If Garnacho blew the lead against Brentford all it would tell us is he’s a 17 year old who isn’t ready which we already know based off his poor performances against the likes of Blackburn u18s and achieving nothing at u23s level yet. We don’t need to throw away first team matches to find that out.

What if Garnacho came on yesterday and was completely bullied, was at fault for giving away goals and throwing away the match, getting hurt and completely destroying all of his confidence?
Then maybe he isn't a Man United player. You have to take your chance. Plenty has, Elanga, Rashford, McTominay, that's why they're still there.

Bigsid

Then maybe he isn't a Man United player. You have to take your chance. Plenty has, Elanga, Rashford, McTominay, that's why they're still there.
Brutal at 17 Have to say in previous seasons we have been sentimental it could be argued giving minutes to academy boys when their perfomances havent set the world on fire in the younger sides. Unless your ripping it up consistently in 23s football hard to argue you should be playing in our first team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Brutal at 17 Have to say in previous seasons we have been sentimental it could be argued giving minutes to academy boys when their perfomances havent set the world on fire in the younger sides. Unless your ripping it up consistently in 23s football hard to argue you should be playing in our first team.
Neither Rashford or Greenwood were tearing it up for the U23s before they got promoted.

Bigsid

44 goals in 47 games across 18s 23s and Youth champions league suggest he kind of was!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
44 goals in 47 games across 18s 23s and Youth champions league suggest he kind of was!
Rashford scored 1 in 8 for the U23s before being promoted, Greenwood got 4 in 7 so they kind of weren't, by comparison Delap at City scored 24 in 20 for their U23 team in 20/21 which is what I'd constitute tearing it up. The conversation was specifically about U23s football so I don't know why you're including U18s/U19s football?
Maybe that was the wrong decision….
In what sort of way was that the wrong decision? They both comfortably adapted to first team football. Rashford's been garbage recently but still got back to back 20 goal seasons and Greenwood is one of our highest scoring youngsters since Whiteside.

JohnnyKills

Hannibal came on against Liverpool, ran around a bit, kicked Thiago and was feted as the only good thing to come out of the game.

People have loads more patience with young players. The fans would get behind them no matter what they did.

Maybe Rangnick is thinking of the youth cup final next week?

Bigsid

Rashford scored 1 in 8 for the U23s before being promoted, Greenwood got 4 in 7 so they kind of weren't, by comparison Delap at City scored 24 in 20 for their U23 team in 20/21 which is what I'd constitute tearing it up. The conversation was specifically about U23s football so I don't know why you're including U18s/U19s football?

In what sort of way was that the wrong decision? They both comfortably adapted to first team football. Rashford's been garbage recently but still got back to back 20 goal seasons and Greenwood is one of our highest scoring youngsters since Whiteside.
So after averaging a goal a game aged 16 in the u18s and then more than a goal every other game in 23s when he had just turned 17 his stats werent impressive. Remember there was some hype around him at the time and rightly so.

Prodigal7

Both look tactically clueless in a team that doesn’t hit and run on the counter. Without playing run and shoot for 90 minutes they don’t appear to know what to do.
A good u23 coach to lay down some discipline (tactical and otherwise) would have reduced the hype and get their overall game where it should be to play for man united.

Bigsid

Both look tactically clueless in a team that doesn’t hit and run on the counter. Without playing run and shoot for 90 minutes they don’t appear to know what to do.
A good u23 coach to lay down some discipline (tactical and otherwise) would have reduced the hype and get their overall game where it should be to play for man united.
And you would be confident our u23s coaches would do that?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Hannibal came on against Liverpool, ran around a bit, kicked Thiago and was feted as the only good thing to come out of the game.

People have loads more patience with young players. The fans would get behind them no matter what they did.

Maybe Rangnick is thinking of the youth cup final next week?
And Elanga came in and scored goals and assists and yet he was racially abused after what, 2-3 appearances? He’s then since been criticized almost every match since with people claiming he is terrible and has no technical ability.

Literally just a few posts up there is a post saying a 17 year old isn’t a Manchester United player if he isn’t ready now.

So nah, the fans clearly don’t have patience.