Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

PS18

U14s beat City 2-0 in the Albert Phelan Cup and are through to the final of the northern section. They will play Sunderland who beat Liverpool in the other semi.
Seem to have been quite a few 'big' (in schoolboy football terms anyway) wins over City this season. Always interesting how they go relatively unmentioned while the reverses are often over-analysed.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Seem to have been quite a few 'big' (in schoolboy football terms anyway) wins over City this season. Always interesting how they go relatively unmentioned while the reverses are often over-analysed.
Yeap, wonder why ;) Tempted to tag a few posters who never find anything positive about anything regarding our academy but they know who they are and they know their reasons for that behaviour.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'll reply as @Bigsid here:

Its because United underage teams consists of big 7ft monsters(insert some random doubting their age comment cos some of them might be black) and all bought for big money whilst Man City are all of those with technical monsters who have been at the club since they were 3yrs old.

Bigsid

Its because United underage teams consists of big 7ft monsters(insert some random doubting their age comment cos some of them might be black) and all bought for big money whilst Man City are all of those with technical monsters who have been at the club since they were 3yrs old.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the mention KM. As others have stated there is little between the academy sides up to a certain age and its unfair to suggest that our groups rely on physicality as City/Chelsea are similar in certain ages. Its obvious to most people with an eye on development that as we approach the end of the system we are not at the same levels of our competitors and currently have fewer home grown players at the top end of the system. The England youth sides show this clearly. As an example its interesting to compare both Manchester clubs u21s sides this weekend where there is an obvious gulf in quality. We have only 2 players that haven't been bought in. City had 6 and are far superior as the recent games have shown. with their dominance at youth level more than apparent given they have won the 16s, 18s, 21s titles for the last 3 years. Though most of these players wont get near the first team they will be sold on at a massive profit as can be seen year in and out. Its a business at the end of the day with very little chance of any players becoming first team regulars at the two clubs.

Bojan Djordjic

Thanks for the mention KM. As others have stated there is little between the academy sides up to a certain age and its unfair to suggest that our groups rely on physicality as City/Chelsea are similar in certain ages. Its obvious to most people with an eye on development that as we approach the end of the system we are not at the same levels of our competitors and currently have fewer home grown players at the top end of the system. The England youth sides show this clearly. As an example its interesting to compare both Manchester clubs u21s sides this weekend where there is an obvious gulf in quality. We have only 2 players that haven't been bought in. City had 6 and are far superior as the recent games have shown. with their dominance at youth level more than apparent given they have won the 16s, 18s, 21s titles for the last 3 years. Though most of these players wont get near the first team they will be sold on at a massive profit as can be seen year in and out. Its a business at the end of the day with very little chance of any players becoming first team regulars at the two clubs.
[/QUOTE]
Surely U21s isn't a great barometer when the better players at that age level in the system are all out on loan or in the senior squad?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Surely U21s isn't a great barometer when the better players at that age level in the system are all out on loan or in the senior squad?
Very true but it's not just United doing the loaning and upgrading of players.
City, for example, have such as Cole Palmer and Rico Lewis with the seniors and Taylor Harwood Bellis, Liam Delap, Tommy Doyle, Josh Wilson Esbrand, Callum Doyle and James McAttee (all English) regularly starting at successful Championship clubs but still have had enough in reserve to win PL2 so it is possible to do both.
United, in comparison, have Elanga Garnacho, Mengi, Mainoo and Iqbal with the seniors but the last 3 are not first team ready and I can't think of any of your loanees who are pushing for PL football as yet.

Gordon S

City, for example, have such as Cole Palmer and Rico Lewis with the seniors and Taylor Harwood Bellis, Liam Delap, Tommy Doyle, Josh Wilson Esbrand, Callum Doyle and James McAttee (all English) regularly starting at successful Championship clubs but still have had enough in reserve to win PL2 so it is possible to do both.
United, in comparison, have Elanga Garnacho, Mengi, Mainoo and Iqbal with the seniors but the last 3 are not first team ready and I can't think of any of your loanees who are pushing for PL football as yet.
Amad Diallo is having a very good season for Sunderland and should be looking at PL football next season.
Alvaro Fernandez is having a good season with Preston and are probably ready for PL football as well.
Hannibal Mejbri is having a good season with Birmingham and should be ready soon for a bigger challenge.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Amad Diallo is having a very good season for Sunderland and should be looking at PL football next season.
Alvaro Fernandez is having a good season with Preston and are probably ready for PL football as well.
Hannibal Mejbri is having a good season with Birmingham and should be ready soon for a bigger challenge.
I can't really regard a 25-40m signing (Diallo) as an Academy player. He played only a few games at that level before being upgraded to the seniors and playing full international football.
You probably have a case with Fernandez.
Meijbri is another fairly expensive import who's doing OK on a poor team but probably behind the curve expected for him at one time. I can see him at bottom half PL or maybe someone like Marseilles eventually.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Liam Delap may be starting regularly but that's due to a lack of options moreso than due to his ability, most at North End can't wait to see the back of him, he and Parrott are getting shown up by Cannon from Everton.

Gordon S

I can't really regard a 25-40m signing (Diallo) as an Academy player. He played only a few games at that level before being upgraded to the seniors and playing full international football.
You probably have a case with Fernandez.
Meijbri is another fairly expensive import who's doing OK on a poor team but probably behind the curve expected for him at one time. I can see him at bottom half PL or maybe someone like Marseilles eventually.
You said " I can't think of any of your loanees who are pushing for PL football as yet. " I answered that. Listed 3 loanees that are all pushing for PL football in the near future.
And now you add criterias that i didn´t meet? I read your post again and i can´t find where you specified them?
Whatever.

AltiUn

Laird was doing well before his injury too.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
You said " I can't think of any of your loanees who are pushing for PL football as yet. " I answered that. Listed 3 loanees that are all pushing for PL football in the near future.
And now you add criterias that i didn´t meet? I read your post again and i can´t find where you specified them?
Whatever.
Quite simple. Diallo is not a United academy player except for a few games after his large transfer fee brought him to Manchester.
I agreed that Fernandez does fit the bill.
Meijbri has a long way to go before he realises the high hopes held for him by many.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Liam Delap may be starting regularly but that's due to a lack of options moreso than due to his ability, most at North End can't wait to see the back of him, he and Parrott are getting shown up by Cannon from Everton.
Agree Delap is not currently close to PL standard but he’s a big gangly CF and may be a late bloomer. Will never be City or United 1st team material though.

Bojan Djordjic

Agree Delap is not currently close to PL standard but he’s a big gangly CF and may be a late bloomer. Will never be City or United 1st team material though.
What happened him? Two years ago he looked like he could be the next Harry Kane and now he looks like he could be your James Wilson.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
What happened him? Two years ago he looked like he could be the next Harry Kane and now he looks like he could be your James Wilson.
Like Wilson he has had a lot of injuries. Quite a few taller, bulkier lads suffer this while their bodies are developing into their frames. When he gets his “man strength“ he’ll have a chance of a decent career but not at the very top level IMO.

AltiUn

At North End he lacks physicality and game sense, just refuses to get involved in 50/50s. Like @Gentleman Jim said he's very gangly, the 2 things he really lacks can actually develop with experience but no way he ends up as a City / United level player.

top1whoisman

Scout
Unreal. Arsenal's academy is quite good too.
West Ham were apparently the favourites ahead of the final. I'd also say that having a good academy does not correlate to every single academy team. I rate our academy for example but it's inevitable that you have better age groups and worse ones.

Some decent goals yesterday btw.

Beaucoup

West Ham were apparently the favourites ahead of the final. I'd also say that having a good academy does not correlate to every single academy team. I rate our academy for example but it's inevitable that you have better age groups and worse ones.

Some decent goals yesterday btw.

Also won the Semi 6-1 against Southampton, only lost 2 games all season, however, team is mainly 2nd years.

Bigsid

Also won the Semi 6-1 against Southampton, only lost 2 games all season, however, team is mainly 2nd years.
Play City in play off for PL title. If City play best actual 18s rather than 17s be an interesting game as 5 or 6 of better lads been playing 21s.

Bigsid

Because he is a City fan who for some weird reason pretends to be ManUtd fan, maybe too ashamed to tell that he supports City.
Think if that was true i would do more gloating which is obviously not the case. Lot of my work is centred around watching the 16 to 21 groups. Anonymity for the best. Watched United since early 80s.

Beaucoup

Overall i thought the game was pretty even. West Ham were much more clinical but I think 5-1 is a very flattering result.
I agree about the result, really enjoyable game to watch, if anything Arsenal probably have the best individual talent. Went to both semi finals as well, another two really good games.

Bigsid

I agree about the result, really enjoyable game to watch, if anything Arsenal probably have the best individual talent. Went to both semi finals as well, another two really good games.
Nwaneri head and shoulders above anything in the country at that age.

top1whoisman

Scout
Think if that was true i would do more gloating which is obviously not the case. Lot of my work is centred around watching the 16 to 21 groups. Anonymity for the best. Watched United since early 80s.
So you're not willing to say which agency you work for?

Prodigal7

Do you watch actual games or highlights on social media?
I don’t have time to watch full games most the the time but I do sometimes. Lacey drifts out of games but that’s understandable at U18s level. Watching Nwaneri in the fayc final he does as well. He missed some good chances and didn’t exactly cause many problems for West Ham.

top1whoisman

Scout
I'll give you that, you're doing relatively well in hiding your joy when City beat United at academy level. I'd say you still have room for improvement in not being so eager to defend City, giving any credit for United's academy for anything, as well as not bringing City into any discussion which has nothing to do with you them. You'll get there, keep on working.