Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Prodigal7

I've followed a few of these MIC cups over the years. There's a pattern of winning the group stages but losing to any other big team in the knock out stages. I recall that during Greenwoods U12 year we nearly beat Barca and perhaps should have notwithstanding some poor refereeing. My understanding though is that at the really young age groups we prioritise individual skills over collective cohesion and tactical nous as part of a young players' development journey.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I've followed a few of these MIC cups over the years. There's a pattern of winning the group stages but losing to any other big team in the knock out stages. I recall that during Greenwoods U12 year we nearly beat Barca and perhaps should have notwithstanding some poor refereeing. My understanding though is that at the really young age groups we prioritise individual skills over collective cohesion and tactical nous as part of a young players' development journey.
Yeah there’s quite a few local sides from Catalunya and then you’ve got your Reals (GD 19-1 after two games), Barcas (15-0 win in their opening match) and Sevillas in the knockouts.

It’s a good experience I’m sure but the gaps in quality is not ideal.

And yeah absolutely at 12 it’s mostly about developing individuals and skills but already with some exposure of tactical knowledge etc.

Prodigal7

Yeah there’s quite a few local sides from Catalunya and then you’ve got your Reals (GD 19-1 after two games), Barcas (15-0 win in their opening match) and Sevillas in the knockouts.

It’s a good experience I’m sure but the gaps in quality is not ideal.

And yeah absolutely at 12 it’s mostly about developing individuals and skills but already with some exposure of tactical knowledge etc.
I agree it's correct to focus on skills development but I understand that we are more focused on individual traits than all other big academies. Which is why we tend to perform worse in tournaments than our typical peers at the very young age levels.

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
Scanlon got a write up in The Athletic. Can't post links but should be easy enough to find.

top1whoisman

Scout
U12s won the last group game in the MIC Cup 6-2. Top of the group, 12 goals scored, 2 conceded.

We’ll face UE Figueres from Girona in the round of 16. Tomorrow 10:00 GMT.

top1whoisman

Scout
HT 3-0

If we win this it looks like we’ll face Glen Shields Juventus (Juve’s academy in Toronto) in the quarters. 17:00 GMT.

Bertie Wooster

Second half was a lot scrappier with plenty of subs and less in terms of quality or chances. But an enjoyable first half and good to see the way they're trying to play starting from the keeper and CB's even at that age.

Agree about Waters. Who was the number 14 who came on at LB for the second half? Looked a quick, attacking player.

top1whoisman

Scout
Second half was a lot scrappier with plenty of subs and less in terms of quality or chances. But an enjoyable first half and good to see the way they're trying to play starting from the keeper and CB's even at that age.

Agree about Waters. Who was the number 14 who came on at LB for the second half? Looked a quick, attacking player.
Kobi Muarsden-Umebuani. Thought Peace Ioykho was quite exciting to watch in the second half at RW.

top1whoisman

Scout
Juve won two and lost one in the group stage. 21 goals scored so far, 2 conceded.

If we manage to get to the semis, we’ll face the winners of the Real Madrid vs UE Quart tie.

Real’s goal difference so far 34-1. Quart 16-3, they beat Sevilla on pens in the previous round.

top1whoisman

Scout
Thanks.

Was Peace Ioykho the #17 then? Yeah, he looked lively on the ball.
Yes, looks like he has a decent shot too. Strong & quick, just let down a bit by his decision-making. But when you ”only” get 25 minutes it’s more than understandable you want to impress.

top1whoisman

Scout
HT 1-0 United.

United very much the stronger side athletically but Juve’s taking care of the ball much better. It’s fun to watch though, kind of end-to-end with everyone wanting to score and be the hero.

Pericles

HT 1-0 United.

United very much the stronger side athletically but Juve’s taking care of the ball much better. It’s fun to watch though, kind of end-to-end with everyone wanting to score and be the hero.
Our no 5 Waters and no 8 Mallem have been quite impressive.

top1whoisman

Scout
Our no 5 Waters and no 8 Mallem have been quite impressive.
Yeah the standouts so far.

Mallem is a super dribbler who joined from Chelsea for this season. Should look for a pass a bit more often but they’re U12 so plenty of time to learn and develop that side of the game.

Waters just looks like a good U14/U15 playing against his younger brother’s 12-year old friends.

The other bigger lads (Iyokho, Ibragimov) also seem decent but I think the size gives them that advantage more than anything else.

Pericles

Yeah the standouts so far.

Mallem is a super dribbler who joined from Chelsea for this season. Should look for a pass a bit more often but they’re U12 so plenty of time to learn and develop.

Waters just looks like a good U14/U15 playing against his younger brother’s 12-year old friends.

The other bigger lads (Iyokho, Ibragimov) also seem decent but I think the size gives them that advantage more than anything else.
Yes, he could look for the pass a bit earlier. I like his ability on the ball though. I also like the LB.

It is good to have tall CBs progress through the ranks for a change. The GK's kicking has been suspect.

top1whoisman

Scout
Yes, he could look for the pass a bit earlier. I like his ability on the ball though. I also like the LB.

It is good to have tall CBs progress through the ranks for a change. The GK's kicking has been suspect.
He could but dribbling until you fall asleep is kind of the norm in these age groups. Then again looking at the opposition, there are a few players who are very smart with their passing. Always opens the opponent more than dribbling but hey ho, it’s fun to watch.

Who knows what position Waters ends up playing. Can easily see him developing into a midfielder. Seems kind of bored at the back :lol:

Most of the keepers I’ve seen in this tournament look like outfield players who are forced into playing gk.

top1whoisman

Scout
FT 2-0, well done boys.

Semis tomorrow at 09:00 GMT against Real Madrid.

The coaching staff’s first real test :p Have a feeling we need Waters to stay back against them :nervous:

Barca in the other semi, opponent not known yet.

Gungerz

Who knows what position Waters ends up playing. Can easily see him developing into a midfielder
This is the first time I've seen him play CB. The other few times I've watched him he has been in midfield, although that's been with an older age group I believe.

Bertie Wooster

Good to see the U12's through to the SF's.

I fully intended to watch the game live but circumstances meant I missed it. I'll catch up with it tonight and definitely be watching the SF tomorrow morning.

Bertie Wooster

What's the name of the small number 7 who plays up front? It was funny when he was stood at the side of Waters in the centre circle at the start of the game - he looked like a mascot at the side of him!

top1whoisman

Scout
What's the name of the small number 7 who plays up front? It was funny when he was stood at the side of Waters in the centre circle at the start of the game - he looked like a mascot at the side of him!
Maxwell Powell. Yeah most of them look like infants next to him.