Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Acole9

Outstanding
Sbragia is going all trendy and getting us playing some sexy football.

On a side note Willock going to St Mirren on loan.

Dudu

Shame. Lost 5 - 3 on Penalties.

Oh well.. Good show from the U15s!

But seriously....

Impressed at one time or another during the tournament by, and in no particular order: Fish, Norkett, Walters, Iqbal, Dodgson, Ibrahim, Mayamona, Lawton and Mainoo.
Was particularly impressed with the number 7, Mayamona I think?

Played very well.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Just out of curiousity do we ever go on to sign players we play against during the super cup?

Robbo*

Interesting this.

So we are planning to play similar formations in all the three leagues?
I didn't get to see the game but the team was announced as a 4231 - which I think they used last year. anyone got any better insight as to changes?

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Reserves lost 2-0 to Northampton
United: O’Hara (Kovar 74); Warren, Poole, Ercolani (Dunne 74), O’Connor (Tanner 68); Traore (Whelan 68), Barlow, Buffonge (Sang 68); Dearnley, Wilson, Burkart (Baars 74). Subs not used: Fojticek.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
Was at the game - goalscorer for Co. Londonderry was Lee Harkin who had a trail with United last month - looked pretty useful. Charlie Savage is a spitting image of his dad.

Highlights here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932889
Harkin was very impressive in the tournament, plays and looks a bit like Michael Owen. Does him already having had a trial and not been signed immediately at the end of it mean he was rejected? Or do these things sometimes take a bit longer with young players, e.g. with the clubs perhaps waiting until they're a little older to make a deal, especially if they have to move a fair way as part of it?

mattunited1978

doommonger
Thought dj buffonge looked useful last night, far too good on the ball for Spragia's liking though so was predictably subbed off. Spragia is the one and only big mistake Butts made since taking his post imo

lysglimt

Scout
Thought dj buffonge looked useful last night, far too good on the ball for Spragia's liking though so was predictably subbed off. Spragia is the one and only big mistake Butts made since taking his post imo
In fairness it was a poor performance from us. A few of the players you expect to step up were completely anonymous. Our central defenders were really sloppy….so a deserved win for the hometeam.

mattunited1978

doommonger
In fairness it was a poor performance from us. A few of the players you expect to step up were completely anonymous. Our central defenders were really sloppy….so a deserved win for the hometeam.
Im not really on about the result or teams performance, its a pre season friendly that dosnt matter.

Its Spragias negative attitude that i cant stand. Buffonge was one of the few players last night who was keeping hold of the ball, beating the odd player and passing it well, yet it was as predicable as anything that he'd be took off for a complete plodder like sang, same things happened all last season, with similar negative impacts as last night.

Kidders

Reference the Northampton game, it was dour stuff, obviously Northampton were physically stronger (men v boys in some instances) but we had no idea how to break them down, James Wilson was left isolated and frustrated while the defence did'nt seem organised when under pressure, Buffonge was our best player.

Acole9

Outstanding
Read today that Max Johnstone has signed a one year contract with Sunderland to play in their under 23 team.

mat85

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but Mourinho's failure to play youth in pre season friendlies, along with slagging off the youth players, says it all for the fallacy he will play youth

AndOr Hererra

Interesting tweet by the Man Utd account says we've signed two more u18's, Connor Stanley, who a quick google search tells me he was formerly of Birmingham City and Reece Devine who interestingly, used to play for Man City. I can't post tweets so hopefully someone else does it later

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Reece Devine had 12 appearances for City last season and turns 17 in December. Seems highly rated.

Robbo*

Interesting tweet by the Man Utd account says we've signed two more u18's, Connor Stanley, who a quick google search tells me he was formerly of Birmingham City and Reece Devine who interestingly, used to play for Man City. I can't post tweets so hopefully someone else does it later
Interesting on the Devine one, has he played for England under age sides?

Carolina Red

Staff
Many think he should have give them more minutes. I was hoping to see Gomes a lot more.
Played against San Jose...
J. Pereira, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mitchell, Garner, McTominay, Pereira, Chong, Greenwood

Played against Club America...
McTominay, Pereira, Mitchell, Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Fosu-Mensah, J. Pereira

Played against Liverpool...
Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Mitchell, McTominay, Pereira, Chong, J. Pereira, Gomes, Bohui

Played against AC Milan...
Tuanzebe, McTominay, Pereira, Fosu-Mensah, Hamilton, J. Pereira

Played against Real Madrid...
Fosu-Mensah, McTominay, Pereira, Mitchell, Garner, Tuanzebe

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Guessing the two new lads who joined today were next on the list when the two Forest lads(Matthew Bondswell and Alex Mighten)who were strongly linked to United decided not to join.

Isn't Reece Devine another right-footed left-back, or am I confusing him with somebody else ?

Robbo*

Played against San Jose...
J. Pereira, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mitchell, Garner, McTominay, Pereira, Chong, Greenwood

Played against Club America...
McTominay, Pereira, Mitchell, Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Fosu-Mensah, J. Pereira

Played against Liverpool...
Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Mitchell, McTominay, Pereira, Chong, J. Pereira, Gomes, Bohui

Played against AC Milan...
Tuanzebe, McTominay, Pereira, Fosu-Mensah, Hamilton, J. Pereira

Played against Real Madrid...
Fosu-Mensah, McTominay, Pereira, Mitchell, Garner, Tuanzebe
Would be interested to see total minutes played by each over the tour if anyone has them to hand.

Carolina Red

Staff
Players with over "90+stoppage" worth of minutes...

Andreas Pereira 443
Scott McTominay 391
Tim Fosu-Mensah 286
Axel Tuanzebe 241
Joel Pereira 180
Demi Mitchell 158

Robbo*

Thanks. Pereira certainly seems to have taken his opportunity and hopefully is straight into the first team until Pogba comes back. A loan would be good for McTominay and I'd hope to see Fosu and Tuanzebe get some time at CB/RB. Funny one for Mitchell as he hasn't appeared to strengthen his position despite Shaw continuing to underwhelm. Come end of the window it will be clearer as to how much of a chance the young defenders will have to get involved.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Thanks. Pereira certainly seems to have taken his opportunity and hopefully is straight into the first team until Pogba comes back. A loan would be good for McTominay and I'd hope to see Fosu and Tuanzebe get some time at CB/RB. Funny one for Mitchell as he hasn't appeared to strengthen his position despite Shaw continuing to underwhelm. Come end of the window it will be clearer as to how much of a chance the young defenders will have to get involved.
Pretty much agree with all of that.

Beaucoup

Since Lee Grant’s move to Utd, City and Utd are scrapping it out for his son.