Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

khoazany

They're third in the Southern league currently. It's close but looking at their u19s teams in the Youth CL recently and I don't think the side is as good as it has been in the past few seasons.

Tough draw but considering the quality we have we shouldn't fear them.
Need to have Laird, Garner and Bernand back by then.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Couldn't have been a tougher draw, even if was @ Chelsea, as the club who want to stop them winning it for the 6th consecutive time more than any other hoped we'd meet them somewhere down the line, but deeper into the competition when the pressure on them would have been greater. Ah well....

In Rainbows

I'm not afraid of any side when we have Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Garner, Laird, etc... I still would have preferred to face another side because Chelsea are one of the sides more likely to knock us out. I just want as many matches as possible for the kids because they need every single minute on the pitch for development.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I'm not afraid of any side when we have Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Garner, Laird, etc... I still would have preferred to face another side because Chelsea are one of the sides more likely to knock us out. I just want as many matches as possible for the kids because they need every single minute on the pitch for development.
If they are fit then yes.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Chong and Gomes(by one day) are too old for the youth cup now.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Thought you had to be under 18 at the start of the season to be eligible ?

On the official website his d.o.b is 31/08/00
Can't have turned 18 before 01/09/00:

Only those players are eligible to take part who have reached the age of 15 years by
midnight on 31 August of the current season and not reached the age of 18 years as at
midnight on 31 August of the current season. (For season 2018-2019, a player must have
been born on or after 1 September 2000 and before 1 September 2003).

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Can't have turned 18 before 01/09/00:

Only those players are eligible to take part who have reached the age of 15 years by
midnight on 31 August of the current season and not reached the age of 18 years as at
midnight on 31 August of the current season. (For season 2018-2019, a player must have
been born on or after 1 September 2000 and before 1 September 2003).
So Brandon Williams only makes it by two days then.

Bigsid

For all City’s hype seems the younger sides are similar given the results from the weekend. Our under 11s apparently beat them 3-0. 12s didnt play. 13s was 2-2. 14s we lost 2-0. I make that a win on aggregate. Will it make the MEN?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigsid

Definitely though 13s was 2-2 not 3-2.

Last edited by a moderator:

jb8521

Unfortunately only one game in 13s. 11 a side. We went one down. Then went 2-1 up before they equalised.
Fair enough. Was told by 1 of the City players parents that we won 3-2 but seems he was wrong

kundalini

Greenock Morton reserves 0-1 Man United U23s

Zak Dearnley scored.

The Academy Review twitter seems to have attended the match. Lots of 2nd half subs. Apparently Ro-Shaun Williams missed a good chance in the first half. Dearnley did well for his goal.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

Anyone know how Chong performed against Germany in the under21’s?
He was subbed off in the 60th minute and apparently was subpar. Not surprising. I feel like he just hasn't been all that impressive this season in comparison to last season. Which kind of speaks volumes on how talented our u19s are if they're dominating with minimal contribution from Chong.

jb8521

He was subbed off in the 60th minute and apparently was subpar. Not surprising. I feel like he just hasn't been all that impressive this season in comparison to last season. Which kind of speaks volumes on how talented our u19s are if they're dominating with minimal contribution from Chong.
1 goal & 2 assists in 3 games for the u19s is hardly minimal contribution. The game against Juventus was the only u19 game he was poor in.

Mickson

He's been good but maybe not as good as expected before the season started. My feeling is that Gomes was behind him last season but now it's Gomes who is in front again.

In Rainbows

1 goal & 2 assists in 3 games for the u19s is hardly minimal contribution. The game against Juventus was the only u19 game he was poor in.
Minimal contribution does not mean he literally was awful. That was my mistake in not making it clearer. Minimal contribution was just me expressing he has a level that he hasn't tapped into. That was last season and no matter what stats you use, there is a clear difference in how scary he was to opponent defenses last season in comparison to this season. I'm not really into stats when judging that kind of contribution. Again, that was my fault for not giving more context as stats do show direct contribution.

Mickson is right, but Gomes having a better season isn't all to telling considering how excellent Gomes can be. It's more that Chong hasn't really made it that difficult. Early season though so it's really not a big deal and this observation was more to compliment the overall side.

edit: Also, it will be hard to have as good of a season as Gomes is currently having. I really like what Butt has done by putting him back there. Even when I had my small criticism of Gomes last season that he could be too passive at times, the one constant in his game was his contribution to making life easier for the overall side as he's really good at maintaining possession. Now that in the u19s his job makes that sort of contribution more mandatory, he's back to being a constant influencing force.

Last edited:

jb8521

Minimal contribution does not mean he literally was awful. That was my mistake in not making it clearer. Minimal contribution was just me expressing he has a level that he hasn't tapped into. That was last season and no matter what stats you use, there is a clear difference in how scary he was to opponent defenses last season in comparison to this season. I'm not really into stats when judging that kind of contribution. Again, that was my fault for not giving more context as stats do show direct contribution.

Mickson is right, but Gomes having a better season isn't all to telling considering how excellent Gomes can be. It's more that Chong hasn't really made it that difficult. Early season though so it's really not a big deal and this observation was more to compliment the overall side.

edit: Also, it will be hard to have as good of a season as Gomes is currently having. I really like what Butt has done by putting him back there. Even when I had my small criticism of Gomes last season that he could be too passive at times, the one constant in his game was his contribution to making life easier for the overall side as he's really good at maintaining possession. Now that in the u19s his job makes that sort of contribution more mandatory, he's back to being a constant influencing force.
Yeah I'd agree he isn't having as good of a season as last year. I'd say it's partly down to the step up in physicality from u18s & him being well known now so being double marked at times. He also seems to be trying to turn into more of a goalscoring threat this season rather than playing his more natural game.

Oldgiggsfan

Yeah I'd agree he isn't having as good of a season as last year. I'd say it's partly down to the step up in physicality from u18s & him being well known now so being double marked at times. He also seems to be trying to turn into more of a goalscoring threat this season rather than playing his more natural game.
Perhaps he is not up to the physical standard?
He does look like like he needs to fill out a bit then his talent should come through a lot more in my opinion.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's nice to see Buffonge getting a game, he's someone I really enjoy watching.

Nero

Another awful performance. Are Butt and Sbragia mates? Only explanation I can think of.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bohui scores in the 88th minute to make it 1-1.