Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

saik

We're obsessed with two-footed players lately
Yeah, he keeps getting overlooked when people discuss either current kids for the first team, or future talent coming through (Lacey, Amass, etc). He seems to fall in neither group and so doesn't get a mention. But he seems to have plenty about him and he's one I'm hopeful about.
And an assist now from the corner. Not sure if the first goal was also him taking the corner? But, seriously impressive game from him today.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think Amass is as likely as anyone to breakthrough to the first team
Pretty decent defensively too which is rare for someone so good at going forward, usually it's one or the other.

AltiUn

Little appearance from Tooney and the other ladies.

Gungerz

Leicester, Man City & Crystal Palace our potential opponents in the semis.

In Rainbows

Pretty decent defensively too which is rare for someone so good at going forward, usually it's one or the other.
Can't really say he's defensively good enough, as that part of his game hasn't stood out. Neither has his attacking game tbh. He combines really well bringing the ball up, but I need to see more evidence of his final ball (had a great one recently) and shooting ability. So I'm undecided on those aspects, but I would be really dishonest if I said they were bad in any shape or form. He hasn't done much wrong.

He's sort of like a 4th midfielder. Extremely press resistant, which makes his floor really high. He's a big part of our group being able to control matches.

He needs to be moved up. He doesn't mess up much at this level. So yeah, he's been incredibly impressive thus far.

Edit: Actually, I will take back that attacking evaluation away. Being able to combine well in all areas of play is great for an attack. Thinking that a lb needs to be the decisive figure in the final third is being extremely nitpicky.

lysglimt

Scout
Summary of our U18 players' stats - all competitions included. I haven't double-checked the numbers, but it should be very close to accurate at least

Myles 12+0 matches
Harrison 8+0 matches

Amass 16+0 matches - 1 goal
Kingdon 14+1 matches - 1 goal
Jackson 14+1 matches - 4 goals
Munro 11+0 matches
Nolan 5+0 matches - 1 goal (pen)
Ogunneye 6+4 matches
Mantato 3+0 matches - 1 goal
Kamason 2+3 matches
Kukonki 1+1 matches
Armer 0+1 matches

Fitzgerald 16+1 matches - 3 goals
McAllister 13+1 matches - 2 goals
Curley 10+3 matches - 2 goals
J.Fletcher 10+1 matches - 1 goal
T.Fletcher 2+2 matches
Devaney 10+6 matches
Baumann 4+7 matches - 1 goal
Thwaites 0+2 matches
Bailey 0+1 matches
Moorhouse 2+0 matches - 1 goal

Williams 6+3 matches - 7 goals
Scanlon 7+3 matches - 3 goals
Missin 11+4 matches - 2 goals
Lacey 6+1 matches - 2 goals
Sharpe 6+2 matches - 3 goals

Wheatley 8+2 matches - 9 goals (3 pen)
Musa 11+4 matches - 4 goals (2 pen)
Biancheri 5+8 matches - 8 goals (3 pen)
Ibragimov 0+1

In addition - 1 trialist believed to be Mason Cotcher (0+1) and 2 owngoals.

So 19 different goalscorers

Borninthe80ts

19 different scorers is an excellent barometer to show how this team is and has progressed. Not reliant on one player and rotating throughout the season. It’s a testament to the hard work being put in and hunger even when ahead in games.

lysglimt

Scout
19 different scorers is an excellent barometer to show how this team is and has progressed. Not reliant on one player and rotating throughout the season. It’s a testament to the hard work being put in and hunger even when ahead in games.
And that might be a bit of a concern when I think about it. I hope it's not the case, but sometimes I wonder if our 14 straight wins may be helped by the fact that we have such a wide range of good players. We can easily swap 7-8 players and not really weaken the team at all - while other teams drop 10-15% if they do the same.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it might give unrealistic expectations about how many players we can expect to see at first-team level. Because as I have said before, I see a lot of really good players at this level - but not so many players with the same potential as Greenwood, Garnacho or Mainoo....

stealthy

And that might be a bit of a concern when I think about it. I hope it's not the case, but sometimes I wonder if our 14 straight wins may be helped by the fact that we have such a wide range of good players. We can easily swap 7-8 players and not really weaken the team at all - while other teams drop 10-15% if they do the same.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it might give unrealistic expectations about how many players we can expect to see at first-team level. Because as I have said before, I see a lot of really good players at this level - but not so many players with the same potential as Greenwood, Garnacho or Mainoo....
Whilst that may be seen as negative it’s a fair point. It does look like a solid group of good players, and a fairly mature looking group in the main. That said some of the younger boys do look like standouts.

I can see next years group being very good when you’ve got the likes of Lacey, Ibraghmov, Fletcher, Amass still available and all looking potentially outstanding rather than just good solid group.

next years youth cup challenge could be stronger.

but some food for thought in your comments although it may not go down well

lysglimt

Scout
Whilst that may be seen as negative it’s a fair point. It does look like a solid group of good players, and a fairly mature looking group in the main. That said some of the younger boys do look like standouts.

I can see next years group being very good when you’ve got the likes of Lacey, Ibraghmov, Fletcher, Amass still available and all looking potentially outstanding rather than just good solid group.

next years youth cup challenge could be stronger.

but some food for thought in your comments although it may not go down well
Just to make it clear - I will say it's maybe the best team of players I have seen during my time as a United-fan. And there are a lot of players in that group who will have really good careers - but that doesn't necessarily mean that many of them will make it at United. But do I see a lot of players with extreme potential that could make them P.L-stars, the answer is no.

AltiUn

Just to make it clear - I will say it's maybe the best team of players I have seen during my time as a United-fan. And there are a lot of players in that group who will have really good careers - but that doesn't necessarily mean that many of them will make it at United. But do I see a lot of players with extreme potential that could make them P.L-stars, the answer is no.
I'd be surprised if at least one or two of this group doesn't make it to the first team.

lysglimt

Scout
No doubt about it
I only really see the goalkeeper and central defence as question-marks of them team for next season

Both Myles and Harrison are too old - not sure the quality of our younger goalkeepers.

Munro wil play in central defence - not sure who will partner him. Our full-backs looks really strong with Amass and Kamason as the most obvious choices - even if Mantato can play there as well.

Midfield looks really strong - Fletcher x2, Fitzgerald, Scanlon, Devaney and Baumann - that looks rock solid.

Then we have Lacey, Ibragimov, Keba and Biancheri as wingers or strikers. And probably even Mantato.

I have not seen enough of Kukonki, Thwaites, Armer and Bailey to say if they have a chance to break into the side.

But on paper, it looks good.

Prodigal7

I'd be surprised if at least one or two of this group doesn't make it to the first team.
i think that having a solid team around them winning games will help build the right mentality needed for some like Amass and Fletcher to push their way into first team reckoning. Mentality I think has been a big issue with our youth team players coming through for a long time now.

Gungerz

I only really see the goalkeeper and central defence as question-marks of them team for next season

Both Myles and Harrison are too old - not sure the quality of our younger goalkeepers.
Quite like the look of Byrne-Hughes whenever I've seen him, very good sweeper. He's already had involvement with the U18s/U19s ahead of olders keepers, so he seems to be rated highly by the club.

The other keeper, Fred Heath, I'm a little less sure of but he's an absolute giant. Has to be one of the tallest U16s in the country, so there's definitely a lot to work with there if he can polish his technique.

MiManPoland31

Supports
-
Are there any big talents in the U14 and U15 groups in our team apart from those we know: Ibragimov, Kukonki, etc.?

AltiUn

Are there any big talents in the U14 and U15 groups in our team apart from those we know: Ibragimov, Kukonki, etc.?
Even if there is, think most would rather keep them under wraps until they've at least reached U18 level.

Sancho99

I think Rooney's lad was with the U13's last year so will perhaps be with the U14's this year. Still a little early, It'll be a couple of years before we hear much.

Bigsid

I think Rooney's lad was with the U13's last year so will perhaps be with the U14's this year. Still a little early, It'll be a couple of years before we hear much.
Amir, Thwaites and Mantato are the more promising u16s and i believe they have signed the longer professional contracts. Defensively not bad but no standouts and the 17s group are stronger in that area for sure. In the 15s Rafe Mccormack is seen as a very good prospect. I did catch Rooneys lad last year and he wasnt one of the better players in his group from the games i saw although a lot can change over the coming years.

Mylock

Any update on Tyler Fredricson, is he still injured? Has alot of potential when he came into the youth team but looks like he's been injured for a while.
Also what happened to Ethan Ennis? Is he still injured? he was starting to come good and then got a serious injury

Borninthe80ts

Its difficult not to think long term when considering academy football and that goes for the positives and potential negatives. We are definitely experiencing an upturn in the last 2 years with the under 18s especially and naturally hopes rise and thus expectations with some too.

However I can understand the caution you have as perception can be now that we have a bunch of potential world class players coming through because of performances and the variety of names mentioned as having played well in those. I’m with you though in that there are certain ones that are a level above most in their consistency of quality. Those names u mentioned you just see it.

For me though the base level has been raised mainly and we are playing as a team which allows a majority to look good as a result. It’ll be interesting who will make the step up between the end of the season and the next transfer window. Opportunities will be there.

Borninthe80ts

Munro wil play in central defence - not sure who will partner him. Our full-backs looks really strong with Amass and Kamason as the most obvious choices - even if Mantato can play there as well.

Midfield looks really strong - Fletcher x2, Fitzgerald, Scanlon, Devaney and Baumann - that looks rock solid.

Then we have Lacey, Ibragimov, Keba and Biancheri as wingers or strikers. And probably even Mantato.

I have not seen enough of Kukonki, Thwaites, Armer and Bailey to say if they have a chance to break into the side.

But on paper, it looks good.
It’s does look very promising. Thwaites stood out to me from tournament highlights which is nothing really but yeah and I liked the look of Bailey. The young leftie with a good shot on him? Midfielders are an area we seem to be producing well in at the minute.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Nick Cox:

“Our mandate isn’t to win the league, our mandate isn’t to win all the cups, it’s to develop players who are going to play in our first team.

“There’s a different take on league positions and results at academy level, but it’s not disregarded. It’s an important measure of how the groups are developing and how well the coaches are doing.

“We want our boys to be competitive, to know how to win and attempt to win every game. And if you’ve got good coaches and good players, the by‑product is a team that wins regularly. We’re delighted to see the under-18s doing so well and equally to see so many individuals in that group have the potential to continue with us.”

“Our goal is to support every player to reach their full potential. For some players that won’t be the first team; our coaches will work hard to make sure they have a career away from us. But, from a club perspective, utopia is to produce players who go on and excel in a winning United team.”

“It’s never a straight line to success with young players; there’s a rocky road ahead

”For any young player at Manchester United, it’s a real challenge. The signs are that Kobbie is coping with that challenge but it’s important that everyone remains grounded. The expectation at Man United is that we win, we win convincingly and we win regularly. The standards are high.”

Gungerz

The one time an U21 game is live on MUTV... Couldn't write it.

Bigsid

Saw this stat today which shows how different our academy is run to our neighbours. Over the last decade our entire club has sold players worth 481 million euros. Citys academy alone has brought in 375 million euros (first team 791 million).

Bertie Wooster

The one time an U21 game is live on MUTV... Couldn't write it.

Yeah, just saw that. Really frustrating!

It's getting quite ludicrous just how infrequently we get to see the U21's. Most games nowadays on a Saturday or Sunday when they can't be shown. When they're on a Friday night, it's usually the weeks when there's also a live PL game and again can't be shown. A rare time it's on a Friday and no PL game, it gets called off! :(

Just hope the U18 game goes ahead, as they're very enjoyable to watch this season.

Gungerz

On the bench for the U18s today is Dante Plunkett, an U16 full-back who was/is at Aston Villa.

saik

Derby take an early lead. Good shot from the edge of the box by their player.