Missing Persons and Unsolved Crimes and Mysteries

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Not missing or unsolved but saw this headline today.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/577945-california-hiker-family-died-off-heat-dehydration
California family of hikers died of heat, dehydration

Reminded me of this unsolved case though I believe the prevailing conclusion is they probably died of dehydration and/or starvation after getting lost.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

GloryHunter07

I've been watching some videos on YouTube recently about various cases like this. This is an example of one of them:

It seems like there's someone else involved somehow who has probably killed them.
I saw this recently too. I didnt think anyone else was involved in the disapearance, but tragic and weird nonetheless.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
This, was one long ass story. Morbidly fascinating but loooooong.
Yep... very good... but it does paint the local authorities and the FBI in a bad light... some amateur had to come from nowhere before any semi-decent logic was applied to the case. Also the police guy comment about the German note was fecking hilarious - well it wasn't, but better to laugh than to cry.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The Irish one I was always fascinated by was Trevor Deely. So many details and connections that don’t add up. I went through so many videos and Reddit posts.
Weirdly I just passed where he was last sighted recently and was talking about how much of a mystery that is. Surely was abducted.

Maluco

Weirdly I just passed where he was last sighted recently and was talking about how much of a mystery that is. Surely was abducted.
Its such a strange one. The men waiting outside, the trip to Alaska before everything went down, the completely cold trail afterwards.

What could he have been involved in?

McGrathsipan

Its such a strange one. The men waiting outside, the trip to Alaska before everything went down, the completely cold trail afterwards.

What could he have been involved in?
Didn't know he was in Alaska. Have you a link for me to read?

Maluco

Didn't know he was in Alaska. Have you a link for me to read?
I watched quite a few videos about it the last time which gave most of the information. He flew to Alaska just a few weeks before the incident, claiming he was visiting a girl.

I think this one was probably the most thorough walkthrough…

McGrathsipan

I watched quite a few videos about it the last time which gave most of the information.

I think this one was probably the most thorough walkthrough…

Cheers I'll look at that.
Always struck a chord as hes the same age as me

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Sarni

I always believed it had something to do with his investment advice. The company he worked for was costing someone a lot of money and they just had to get rid of him. No ordinary person would have access to the resources needed to cover up a crime like that. They had to have connections in high places. Security video gone. Nobody knew who made the suspicious phone call. Whoever made that call was from his office so they were working with someone to lure him out. He was definitely murdered and sadly I don't think anyone will ever know who did it.
Yeah, that Netflix episode made that company look something it was really not. They were a company that was mostly giving advice to people with no access to substantial money like pensioners, seniors or some minor investors, ie people who would have no access to resources necessary to go through with something like this.

There have been numerous good analyses of the whole case by the guys on r/UnresolvedMysteries and it usually leads to a conclusion that it was a suicide that was made look super suspicious by grieving family and producers. Netflix shows tend to do good job at making stories appear much more interesting than they actually are by leaving out stuff and exaggerating the mystery.

Sarni

The Yuba incident is quite wierd, disturbing
Most likely they got lost and died due to difficult conditions. Matias (?) got to live a bit longer because of his experience but ultimately died as well, they just couldn’t locate his body which is probable for the area they were in.

Sarni

Except for the physics of his fall.
Again they are well explained on reddit, will try to dig up a thread but basically him falling into that hole is far more plausible than anything else. The only question is whether he deliberately jumped in that particular spot willing to kill himself, fell by accident while trying to access a different part of the roof or jumped believing he could survive (hence the reference to The Game). Nonetheless it is still way more likely than any other way that hole could have appeared in that exact spot.

Carolina Red

Staff
Again they are well explained on reddit, will try to dig up a thread but basically him falling into that hole is far more plausible than anything else. The only question is whether he deliberately jumped in that particular spot willing to kill himself, fell by accident while trying to access a different part of the roof or jumped believing he could survive (hence the reference to The Game). Nonetheless it is still way more likely than any other way that hole could have appeared in that exact spot.
I'm talking about his trajectory period. Not a hole.

Sarni

I'm talking about his trajectory period. Not a hole.
There was nothing suspicious about trajectory either, it was fully consistent with running jump. It’s actually pretty difficult to build any other theory on how he found himself where he was, certainly not around anyone pushing him.

Carolina Red

Staff
There was nothing suspicious about trajectory either, it was fully consistent with running jump. It’s actually pretty difficult to build any other theory on how he found himself where he was, certainly not around anyone pushing him.
And this is on Reddit?

Sarni

And this is on Reddit?
Yeah I read it somewhere a while ago, pretty sure it was a link from r/UnresolvedMysteries (it was just after the Netflix episode). But even intuitively when you look at where he landed and where he could have jumped from, there is no way anyone could have pushed him into that spot with anything remotely close to human force. He was a big lad, you couldn’t just pick him up and threw him several feet into the air. From what I recall his landing spot was consistent with a running jump at about 10 mph from the spot where he could have taken off, which was completely plausible and actually a much easier explanation than a push.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah I read it somewhere a while ago, pretty sure it was a link from r/UnresolvedMysteries (it was just after the Netflix episode). But even intuitively when you look at where he landed and where he could have jumped from, there is no way anyone could have pushed him into that spot with anything remotely close to human force. He was a big lad, you couldn’t just pick him up and threw him several feet into the air. From what I recall his landing spot was consistent with a running jump at about 10 mph from the spot where he could have taken off, which was completely plausible and actually a much easier explanation than a push.
Oh, no I’ve never thought he was just straight pushed. I just didn’t think the trajectory was consistent with him being able to get up to speed to make that jump himself either.

I’ll check Reddit to see if I can find the thread.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Pushed or thrown wouldn't have been plausible from what I remember.

Carolina Red

Staff
What do you make of this Reddit theory?

Rey went to the top of the parking garage to meet someone. They rammed him with their car and he fell to the roof below. That’s my theory. Get a bag of sand equal to Rey’s weight, calculate the required speed, put the bag on the hood of car, get up to speed, slam on the brakes. See what happens. Check auto body shop records near Porter’s house and all other Argo employees at the time. Somebody had a dented car hood. Rey’s phone and glasses probably came off when hit by the car. The killer picked them up and tossed them off the garage deck and sped away.

Rey wasn’t seen in the hotel because he was never in the hotel.

From the parking garage at 117kg (260 lbs) and 9.1 m (30 feet) his body would hit the roof at 10.5k joules of force (7744 foot pound per 1-2 sq ft). Enough force to punch through the roof deck.

Edit: using a projectile calculator you can hurl an object 30 ft, at 20 degrees up, max height of the arc is 3.5 ft + height of car hood at 25 mph. More than enough to clear the parking garage wall. Rey’s body rode on the hood/windshield til the killer slammed on the brakes. More than enough room on the garage deck to accelerate a car to 25mph and then stop before hitting the wall.

I don’t have the exact measurements. The best I can do is some rough estimates to see if the math works.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Sarni

What do you make of this Reddit theory?
Seems we are looking at the same thread, I just sent you a link to that before realizing you posted this :lol:.

I don’t think this would have got him to land the way he landed. He went almost vertically in, the angle at which he would have landed if struck by a car would have been more clumsy I imagine. Also this would have been hard to execute without anyone noticing. Basically, it is probably technically possible but quite unlikely compared to him simply making the jump.

Carolina Red

Staff
Seems rather far fetched if not necessarily impossible.
Seems we are looking at the same thread, I just sent you a link to that before realizing you posted this :lol:.

I don’t think this would have got him to land the way he landed. He went almost vertically in, the angle at which he would have landed if struck by a car would have been more clumsy I imagine. Also this would have been hard to execute without anyone noticing. Basically, it is probably technically possible but quite unlikely compared to him simply making the jump.
To both of you…
Yes. It also seemed movie scriptish. Which, ironically is also one of the theories.. that Rivera was acting out the script of The Game. (The OP of the Reddit thread)

FireballXL5

Hope the poor little mite isn't too traumatised after all this. Just thank God she's alive and well.

WPMUFC

Western Australia having the best Wednesday in years. Everyone just feels happier today. :)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My delight at her being found alive has now dipped a bit as you wonder what might have happened to her in 19 days as a captive of a 36 year old man. Hopefully just a weirdo who wanted a kid.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
She was found 6 minutes from the family home! No links between abductor and family. That's pretty crazy.

WPMUFC

She was found 6 minutes from the family home! No links between abductor and family. That's pretty crazy.
Canarvon is a tiny, remote town. Has a population just over 4000. Not mentioned by authorities yet but I'd imagine he planned it after seeing her around the community.