Missing Princess of Dubai

NYAS

Nothing new. Filthy rich scum who export toxic culture and terrorism then blame others for their toxic culture and terrorism. Now they blame the oppressed women for their own failings. "To protect them". What else is new? They are living proof that if you have enough money, even murder in broad daylight is legal.
Care to give any examples of the UAE exporting terrorism? Or did you mean Saudi? Or Qatar?

What does it matter, they’re all the same, those damn towelhead Arabs aren’t they?

NYAS

What's that got to do with it? She's not in the US, she's in Dubai :confused:
You can’t understand why people go to an ‘awful country’ like the UAE. Your justification for it being awful is based on their human rights record.

Countries like the US have a shockingly horrific record themselves. Murderous foreign policy, Guantanamo Bay, I could go on. Are you also unable to understand why people go to the US?

If your moral compass is that consistent then you’re going to have a difficult time understanding why people go all sorts of places. I suspect it isn’t though.

NYAS

Half the population the property of the other half, hidden/imprisoned in cloth bags. Stone age ideology with 21st century tech. How the west conveniently invokes cultural relativism on anything outside the west. Freedom for me but not for thee.. so much to be critical of

In isolation a sad story, many like it. Drop in then ocean, sadly.
:lol: Cloth bags. I should have never gotten involved in this thread.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There was a Saudi-based book called Princess(?) which I read many many years ago, which had a similar account of a princess being kidnapped, while other women (or maybe the same one?) are raped, murdered, shut in attics, etc.
I had no idea if it was fact or fiction, it read like a sensationalised novel but presented itself as a true story.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
You can’t understand why people go to an ‘awful country’ like the UAE. Your justification for it being awful is based on their human rights record.

Countries like the US have a shockingly horrific record themselves. Murderous foreign policy, Guantanamo Bay, I could go on. Are you also unable to understand why people go to the US?

If your moral compass is that consistent then you’re going to have a difficult time understanding why people go all sorts of places. I suspect it isn’t though.
Like I said, what's that got to do with Dubai? Your post is just whataboutism.

There are plenty of threads discussing the US on here, voice your opinions about the US in those.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
This reminds me of the controversy over ITV showing Death of a Princess back in 1980. The UK and the USA mostly caved in on that one and it has never been broadcast since.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This reminds me of the controversy over ITV showing Death of a Princess back in 1980. The UK and the USA mostly caved in on that one and it has never been broadcast since.
I remember seeing the 25th. Anniversary showing of it over here in 05 on Frontline, it made some waves then, but not nearly enough.

Ladron de redcafe

There are plenty of threads discussing the US on here, voice your opinions about the US in those.
He's pointing out that if you're consistent, you would have as much of a problem (perhaps more) understanding why people would go to somewhere like the US than Dubai. I agree with him.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Nothing new. Filthy rich scum who export toxic culture and terrorism then blame others for their toxic culture and terrorism. Now they blame the oppressed women for their own failings. "To protect them". What else is new? They are living proof that if you have enough money, even murder in broad daylight is legal.
Real lazy, and ignorant post here it must be said.

There's a lot of things to level at the rulers of UAE (awful human rights record, the disgusting treatment of immigrant workers, corruption at the top etc), but what 'toxic culture' have they exported? When have UAE or UAE nationals been involved in terrorism? It's this type of narrative that leads to racism and other such things.

Maticmaker

They are living proof that if you have enough money, even murder in broad daylight is legal.
Murder is never legal, but if you have enough money anything's possible, despite what TV/Film script-writers would have you believe. Somewhere in the world people are murdered every day, buts its not legal, anywhere!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
He's pointing out that if you're consistent, you would have as much of a problem (perhaps more) understanding why people would go to somewhere like the US than Dubai. I agree with him.
But why would I post about gong to the US in a thread about the Dubai, ffs?

Like I said there are loads & loads of threads on here discussing & criticising the US, post in one of those.

NYAS

Of course it’s whataboutism. It was meant to shed light on your hypocrisy. If you stay aware of your own biases then it’ll help you understand “why so many people are so keen to go there”. You’ve refused to answer the question twice now so we’ve nothing more to discuss.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Of course it’s whataboutism. It was meant to shed light on your hypocrisy. If you stay aware of your own biases then it’ll help you understand “why so many people are so keen to go there”. You’ve refused to answer the question twice now so we’ve nothing more to discuss.
:lol:

1. You started going on about the US, I never mentioned it in my post. I don't live there & I'm unlikely to go there in the foreseeable future, unless someone else is paying. I don't much care for America or its culture, sport, cars or anything much really. I'm not a fecking hypocrite!

2. This is exactly why I gave up posting in the CE, because of agenda posters like you. As previously said, if you want to complain about America, there are dozens of other threads to do that in. This one is about Dubai, so restrict your comments to the subject in hand.

I see you are from the UAE, why don't you spend your time defending your country's record on human rights, if that is possible, rather than having a go at other posters and countries to which they have zero connection.

arnie_ni

How can you be missing while simultaneously telling people where you are?

Edit I see its stopped

NYAS

:lol:

1. You started going on about the US, I never mentioned it in my post. I don't live there & I'm unlikely to go there in the foreseeable future, unless someone else is paying. I don't much care for America or its culture, sport, cars or anything much really. I'm not a fecking hypocrite!

2. This is exactly why I gave up posting in the CE, because of agenda posters like you. As previously said, if you want to complain about America, there are dozens of other threads to do that in. This one is about Dubai, so restrict your comments to the subject in hand.

I see you are from the UAE, why don't you spend your time defending your country's record on human rights, if that is possible, rather than having a go at other posters and countries to which they have zero connection.
Why should I defend my country’s human rights record? I don’t want to. It’s not great. It needs to improve. I’m not an agenda poster. It says a lot about how you view this debate, that you just automatically assume I want to defend that record and going on the attack, instead of actually answering the question I posed and having a discussion about it.

The fact you clearly still haven’t understood the point I was making means there’s no reason to continue the discussion. I’ll leave you with an explanation though.

You said you couldn’t understand why anyone is so keen to go to an awful country like the UAE because of its human rights record. I asked if you felt as confused about people going to the US given their human rights record. Why did I bring the US into it? Well, your subsequent posts answered that for me. You still haven’t responded which makes me assume that you do actually understand why people are keen to go to the US, despite their terrible human rights record. So if a country’s human rights record is the only factor in your mind determining why people should or shouldn’t go to a country, there’s a double standard there. People are keen to go to the UAE for all sorts of reasons. People are keen to go to the US for all sorts of reasons. But somehow, it seems to you that the human rights record of the UAE should count massively against people “wanting” to go there, but the human rights record of the US looks like it doesn’t count for much. I could have used any country other than the US to illustrate my point. There’s a subconscious bias there that’s most likely a result of Western media. It isn’t your fault, but we should all be aware of our own biases to become better people. Have a great day Colin.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
:lol: Cloth bags. I should have never gotten involved in this thread.
Just goes to show how stuff like this has become normalised, even in a strongly moderated platform like this you get away with it.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Just goes to show how stuff like this has become normalised, even in a strongly moderated platform like this you get away with it.
Stuff like this? Not dressing up a certain way one risk a beating/prison/death is not worthy of ridicule? Even in a strongly moderated platform like this. I hope it is allowed. If not, threads like this are kinda pointless

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Stuff like this? Not dressing up a certain way one risk a beating/prison/death is not worthy of ridicule? Even in a strongly moderated platform like this. I hope it is allowed. If not, threads like this are kinda pointless
Have you been to UAE?

They don't beat or kill people not wearing a niqab there.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Nobody said that. Plus they don't do that in the UAE.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Half the population the property of the other half, hidden/imprisoned in cloth bags. Stone age ideology with 21st century tech. How the west conveniently invokes cultural relativism on anything outside the west. Freedom for me but not for thee.. so much to be critical of

In isolation a sad story, many like it. Drop in then ocean, sadly.
Ye.. was probably unnecessary. Niqab, etc
So, who are you referring to in a thread talking about Dubai ruling family issues? Going from your posts, it's reasonable to assume you meant the UAE.

Never been.
Figures.

tombombadil

Murder is never legal, but if you have enough money anything's possible, despite what TV/Film script-writers would have you believe. Somewhere in the world people are murdered every day, buts its not legal, anywhere!
Well, Jamal Khashoggi begs to differ. I guess you are right in that on paper it is not legal. But let's not pretend that the same rules apply to everyone and equally. The rich, ruling class, are never treated the same as everyone else.

Real lazy, and ignorant post here it must be said.

There's a lot of things to level at the rulers of UAE (awful human rights record, the disgusting treatment of immigrant workers, corruption at the top etc), but what 'toxic culture' have they exported? When have UAE or UAE nationals been involved in terrorism? It's this type of narrative that leads to racism and other such things.
Care to give any examples of the UAE exporting terrorism? Or did you mean Saudi? Or Qatar?

What does it matter, they’re all the same, those damn towelhead Arabs aren’t they?
You make a good point that that Saudi are probably the bigger criminals here. Doesn't mean the UAE's hands are clean.

No official connection to state sponsored terrorism was found between the United Arab Emirates government to terrorists,[227][228] however the UAE has been listed as a place used by investors to raise funds to support militants in Afghanistan and Pakistan.[53] Taliban and their militant partners the Haqqani network has been reported to raise funds through UAE-based businesses
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-sponsored_terrorism#United_Arab_Emirates

And they do have a toxic culture.

First are the idealistic class, i.e. the local Emiratis who are inexhaustibly wealthy. You know you’ve spotted one if you see a polished metal Jaguar carrying a furry pet Jaguar in the front seat. Exotic animals as pets are illegal in the UAE, yet a common sight among the rich.

Then come the second layer of rich foreign workers who are the brains of the nation. The CEOs, bank managers, project heads who will sit at sports bars to discuss their home country’s failed political scenario, and then follow it with shots of tequila on a Tuesday night.

The third layer is of the poor foreign worker who nobody wants to discuss. They do 12-hour shifts at a construction site in the middle of the desert on a 50C day. Their living conditions are overwhelmingly controversial, with four to five workers sharing a shoebox-sized space in the name of a home. Yet they are the men who have given Dubai its gleaming glory.

Scrub the sheen off the glass in this concrete jungle, and the truth will melt in your hands. The modern-day slavery in the UAE is painfully obvious, but the propaganda-style tourism videos and Instagram handles will tell you otherwise.

The expats are still doing all the work to present the ruler of Dubai with his “vision” for the country, but the government won’t let you believe that.

Only after spending two years in the claustrophobic city, and educating myself, did I realise how double-standards were polluting the minds of every expat in town.
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...i/news-story/084d1acb89cd39e2bf72d6a59f696a45

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
So, who are you referring to in a thread talking about Dubai ruling family issues? Going from your posts, it's reasonable to assume you meant the UAE.

Figures.
I belive the person I was retracting my use of words to, has UAE as his location. Other than that I don't know why we're talking about UAE

NYAS

Well, Jamal Khashoggi begs to differ. I guess you are right in that on paper it is not legal. But let's not pretend that the same rules apply to everyone and equally. The rich, ruling class, are never treated the same as everyone else.

You make a good point that that Saudi are probably the bigger criminals here. Doesn't mean the UAE's hands are clean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-sponsored_terrorism#United_Arab_Emirates

And they do have a toxic culture.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...i/news-story/084d1acb89cd39e2bf72d6a59f696a45
The first sentence of your quoted excerpt proves you wrong. You’re really reaching here to try and find something on the internet to prove your original incorrect statement that you made without actually thinking about. You think all Gulf Arabs are the same. Just take the loss and move on.

Also not going into your toxic culture stuff because that’s just typical Gulf-hating bullshit. It’s why I didn’t address it in my first response to you and I’m not going to now, so I’m not sure why you repeated it again when I was calling you out on your terrorism nonsense.

tombombadil

The first sentence of your quoted excerpt proves you wrong. You’re really reaching here to try and find something on the internet to prove your original incorrect statement that you made without actually thinking about. You think all Gulf Arabs are the same. Just take the loss and move on.

Also not going into your toxic culture stuff because that’s just typical Gulf-hating bullshit. It’s why I didn’t address it in my first response to you and I’m not going to now, so I’m not sure why you repeated it again when I was calling you out on your terrorism nonsense.
Did you read the part about the financing going through the UAE?

I do agree with you the Saudis are far worse. Doesn't mean the UAE are innocent either.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!

Why don't you bring America into it? :D

Maticmaker

Whose pretending?

Murder is Murder, and all the rules apply. The rich/powerful however have smart lawyers who, everyday, somewhere in the world, prove 'the law is an Ass'.

Wasn't it Sir Gerald Nabarro (he of the handle-bar moustache fame) who said "British Justice is the best in the World...if you can afford it"!

tombombadil

Whose pretending?

Murder is Murder, and all the rules apply. The rich/powerful however have smart lawyers who, everyday, somewhere in the world, prove 'the law is an Ass'.

Wasn't it Sir Gerald Nabarro (he of the handle-bar moustache fame) who said "British Justice is the best in the World...if you can afford it"!
So I guess you mostly agree with me then.

NYAS

Yeh, and don't forget the Americans!
:lol: It’s remarkable that you still haven’t managed to understand my point even after I broke it down to primary school levels of explanation. What a waste of time that was.

Maticmaker

Ok, let me rephrase it then. "In practice" ... or should that be "when applied"? Whatever works for you. haha
Sorry, not really.
Murder is a crime, therefore under any circumstances it is never legal, ever,.... 'in practice', or 'when applied', whatever...:nono:

NYAS

Did you read the part about the financing going through the UAE?

I do agree with you the Saudis are far worse. Doesn't mean the UAE are innocent either.
Yes, individuals have managed to raise money in the UAE that has ended up in the hands of terrorism abroad. It doesn’t mean the state exports terrorism. Find me one Islamic country that has not had that issue and I’ll concede the argument.

As an aside, do you have any idea how strictly the UAE clamps down on organisations like the Muslim Brotherhood?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I belive the person I was retracting my use of words to, has UAE as his location. Other than that I don't know why we're talking about UAE
You don’t know why we’re talking about the UAE in this thread?