Missing Princess of Dubai

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I'm guessing the treatment of women is besides the point in this thread

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm guessing the treatment of women is besides the point in this thread
On the CAF it is extremely bigoted to think that women outside the western world should enjoy the same rights that women in the western world do.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
You make a good point that that Saudi are probably the bigger criminals here. Doesn't mean the UAE's hands are clean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-sponsored_terrorism#United_Arab_Emirates

And they do have a toxic culture.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...i/news-story/084d1acb89cd39e2bf72d6a59f696a45
You specifically said 'exporting' the culture. What you've given is a subjective news piece on life in Dubai.

I said in my initial post that there are clear issues with UAE - human rights, treatment of immigrant workers etc. But what you've gone onto post is lazy tired cliches.

Firstly, UAE and Saudi are two separate nations. Secondly, there's no toxic culture 'exported'.

Your tropes lend itself to racism and general racist dialogue and rather than admitting fault and moving on, you're doubling down.

e.cantona

On the CAF is extremely bigoted to think that women outside the western world should enjoy the same rights that women in the western world do.
Not sure if you're joking. So, I'll say, hah! :)

tombombadil

Sorry, not really.
Murder is a crime, therefore under any circumstances it is never legal, ever,.... 'in practice', or 'when applied', whatever...:nono:
You and I can agree with that. Not according to the rest of the world, as the Saudi royalty are still running around like gods on earth. Hence in practice.

Yes, individuals have managed to raise money in the UAE that has ended up in the hands of terrorism abroad. It doesn’t mean the state exports terrorism. Find me one Islamic country that has not had that issue and I’ll concede the argument.

As an aside, do you have any idea how strictly the UAE clamps down on organisations like the Muslim Brotherhood?
Well, not surprising I guess considering the related party of Muslim Brotherhood in the UAE allegedly tried to attempt a coup in the UAE.

Whether or not the country supports terrorism is pointless. No country is dumb enough to publicly support it. Even the Saudis officially do not support it.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I belive the person I was retracting my use of words to, has UAE as his location. Other than that I don't know why we're talking about UAE
So who or what are you referring to in your earlier posts?

You've made some ignorant comments in a thread about a news story to do with the ruling family in the UAE. Are you saying your ignorant comments aren't about the UAE?

botond

what a fecking spy that guy was , did not tell them to dump the iphones

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
On the CAF it is extremely bigoted to think that women outside the western world should enjoy the same rights that women in the western world do.
Can you give an example of this?

tombombadil

You specifically said 'exporting' the culture. What you've given is a subjective news piece on life in Dubai.

I said in my initial post that there are clear issues with UAE - human rights, treatment of immigrant workers etc. But what you've gone onto post is lazy tired cliches.

Firstly, UAE and Saudi are two separate nations. Secondly, there's no toxic culture 'exported'.

Your tropes lend itself to racism and general racist dialogue and rather than admitting fault and moving on, you're doubling down.
Please refer to my previous posts about funding of terrorism going through the country.

Please note I understand the average citizen is likely not involved. Doesn't mean there isn't shit going around.

e.cantona

So who or what are you referring to in your earlier posts?

You've made some ignorant comments in a thread about a news story to do with the ruling family in the UAE. Are you saying your ignorant comments aren't about the UAE?
hm, what posts? be more specific. already regretting doing anything in this thread.

sure, my comments are about uae. also.

who's "they", btw

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
:lol: It’s remarkable that you still haven’t managed to understand my point even after I broke it down to primary school levels of explanation. What a waste of time that was.
What a nasty little poster you are.

You didn't take any notice of anything I posted & pursued your own agenda throughout. Dubai has an awful human rights record, that can not be denied. In a thread about Dubai, you have continued to drone on & on about America, a country I never once mentioned, until you insisted on refusing to drop it.

Let me remind you of my original point. The whole World is up in arms about the little princess being confined to quarters (which I do not condone I hasten to add), whilst the country has had an appalling human rights record and the rest of the World has never made a fuss about it before. Now that is hypocrisy.

NYAS

What a nasty little poster you are.

You didn't take any notice of anything I posted & pursued your own agenda throughout. Dubai has an awful human rights record, that can not be denied. In a thread about Dubai, you have continued to drone on & on about America, a country I never once mentioned, until you insisted on refusing to drop it.

Let me remind you of my original point. The whole World is up in arms about the little princess being confined to quarters (which I do not condone I hasten to add), whilst the country has had an appalling human rights record and the rest of the World has never made a fuss about it before. Now that is hypocrisy.
I did take notice of something you posted though. The only thing I ever had a problem with. Which was “I can’t understand why so many people are so keen to go there”. You wouldn’t have said that about other Western countries (for example, the US). I was pointing out the double standard. I’m not sure why you’d expect me to just gloss over that. It’s really not rocket science.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I did take notice of something you posted though. The only thing I ever had a problem with. Which was “I can’t understand why so many people are so keen to go there”. You wouldn’t have said that about other Western countries (for example, the US). I was pointing out the double standard. I’m not sure why you’d expect me to just gloss over that. It’s really not rocket science.
Well I can't understand it and I'm entitled to my opinion.

Secondly, there's no toxic culture 'exported'.
Hang around Harrod's on a warm summer's day and you'll soon beg to differ.

Whilst I despise Dubai as a place (and yes i have been there), I don't think it's the world's job to police what goes on within a twisted family within a twisted country.

Gehrman

Can you give an example of this?
It would for example be describing Ayaan Al Hirsi Ali as a crazy woman. Who's made a career about campaigning for women's rights in the islamic world, who for instance set up Hollands first statistic measurements of honor killings in Holland, is against women having their clitoris cut off which she herself was subjected too and made a movie with Theo Van Gogh about how Islam is inherently oppresive to women, which resulted in Theo Van Gogh being murdered in broad daylight and she's had to live with bodyguard protection 24/7 ever since then. Granted with the life she's been through and had a contract on her head for almost 2 decades, I wouldn't blame her for going a bit crazy, I've read nearly all of her books though and I don't see the crazy talk although that doesn't mean that I agree with everything she says. I don't read her books or anyones books as gospel, I can find plenty of her views that I disagree with but overall I prefer making my opinion of someone by actually reading their work rather than superficially reading a reddit hitjob or focusing on a 1 minute youtube clip.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Hang around Harrod's on a warm summer's day and you'll soon beg to differ.

Whilst I despise Dubai as a place (and yes i have been there), I don't think it's the world's job to police what goes on within a twisted family within a twisted country.
Harrods is owned by Qataris, (not that that means that Emiratis don't go there), but I'm not sure what your point is here.

What toxic behaviour has happened in Harrods? And is this traceable to UAE?

I think people are conflating being generally rich and obnoxious and 'above the law' with Gulf Arabs.

It'd be the equivalent of other nations thinking everyone with a British passport abroad is a yob. It's a lazy, outdated and tired cliche.

I'm a Londoner born and bred, but I just think this way of discussing other nations, whether we like them or not, isn't really helpful.

Overall, it detracts from what the thread is about anyway.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
hm, what posts? be more specific. already regretting doing anything in this thread.

sure, my comments are about uae. also.

who's "they", btw
I'm happy to have a discussion but there needs to be some intellectual honesty, which is lacking on your part. So, I think it's best to leave it there.

e.cantona

I'm happy to have a discussion but there needs to be some intellectual honesty, which is lacking on your part. So, I think it's best to leave it there.
Must have been one h*ll of a discussion. Sorry I missed it. Agree, let's leave it. Go score points somewhere else

e.cantona

It would for example be describing Ayaan Al Hirsi Ali as a crazy woman. Who's made a career about campaigning for women's rights in the islamic world, who for instance set up Hollands first statistic measurements of honor killings in Holland, is against women having their clitoris cut off which she herself was subjected too and made a movie with Theo Van Gogh about how Islam is inherently oppresive to women, which resulted in Theo Van Gogh being murdered in broad daylight and she's had to live with bodyguard protection 24/7 ever since then. Granted with the life she's been through and had a contract on her head for almost 2 decades, I wouldn't blame her for going a bit crazy, I've read nearly all of her books though and I don't see the crazy talk although that doesn't mean that I agree with everything she says. I don't read her books or anyones books as gospel, I can find plenty of her views that I disagree with but overall I prefer making my opinion of someone by actually reading their work rather than reader superficially reading a reddit hitjob or focusing on a 1 minute youtube clip.
I think we're in some agreement. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a great human being

bsCallout

Because the people that are geuinely interested in living there (and not those that are using low tax to set themselves up for life on high wages), are the same people that take gym selfies and wear gucci bags with big fecking logos, drive maserati's and wear gold rolex. People with zero taste.
Or have their own track record to match see: Daniel Kinahan

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
It would for example be describing Ayaan Al Hirsi Ali as a crazy woman. Who's made a career about campaigning for women's rights in the islamic world, who for instance set up Hollands first statistic measurements of honor killings in Holland, is against women having their clitoris cut off which she herself was subjected too and made a movie with Theo Van Gogh about how Islam is inherently oppresive to women, which resulted in Theo Van Gogh being murdered in broad daylight and she's had to live with bodyguard protection 24/7 ever since then. Granted with the life she's been through and had a contract on her head for almost 2 decades, I wouldn't blame her for going a bit crazy, I've read nearly all of her books though and I don't see the crazy talk although that doesn't mean that I agree with everything she says. I don't read her books or anyones books as gospel, I can find plenty of her views that I disagree with but overall I prefer making my opinion of someone by actually reading their work rather than superficially reading a reddit hitjob or focusing on a 1 minute youtube clip.
So someone on here described Ayaan Hirsi Ali as “crazy”, therefore...

“On the CAF it is extremely bigoted to think that women outside the western world should enjoy the same rights that women in the western world do.”

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Must have been one h*ll of a discussion. Sorry I missed it. Agree, let's leave it. Go score points somewhere else
No, he's right. You came into this thread seemingly not realizing it's about the royal family of the UAE:
I belive the person I was retracting my use of words to, has UAE as his location. Other than that I don't know why we're talking about UAE
Or how else can that be interpreted?

e.cantona

No, he's right. You came into this thread seemingly not realizing it's about the royal family of the UAE:

Or how else can that be interpreted?
I don't know.. this is an absolute waste of time

..someone said

i said:
Stuff like this? Not dressing up a certain way one risk a beating/prison/death is not worthy of ridicule? Even in a strongly moderated platform like this. I hope it is allowed. If not, threads like this are kinda pointless
he said:
Have you been to UAE?

They don't beat or kill people not wearing a niqab there.
i said:
Never been.

They?
he said:
So, who are you referring to in a thread talking about Dubai ruling family issues? Going from your posts, it's reasonable to assume you meant the UAE.

Figures.
..he's not answering and i dont understand what he's after anymore
i say bleeeeeeh...
if you really want to i can also go into detail on my mental state at the moment i decided this was the best path forward

And by the way. I don't think it's about the royal family in UAE. The OP asked what do people make of this. I make of it it's a problem for, in this case, certain women in the world. To make a point one often exaggerate to make it clear where one stands on an issue. Every point I made in my op was obviously exaggerated. One person took issue and I kinda apologised. If this is about the royal feckin familiy of the UAE, then I am sorry, I completly missed the point

Roane

I think we're in some agreement. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a great human being
Wasn't she outed as having made up her background?

Didn't leave a war torn place, had actually married her husband and he had funded her moving, her mother had worked for a Brit and travelled extensively (so not quite the slave she made her out to be) and then the whole dutch trouble before relocating to the usa.

e.cantona

Didn't leave a war torn place, had actually married her husband and he had funded her moving, her mother had worked for a Brit and travelled extensively (so not quite the slave she made her out to be) and then the whole dutch trouble before relocating to the usa.
Really?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Ok, I'll bite.

US, UK, Europe, Timbuktu or any other country that cares so much for injustices and human rights record in countries such as UAE, Saudi, Qatar should write to their MP's and remove the protection their countries provide the rulers. Directly or indirectly they are also culpable for keeping these people in their lofty positions.

PS: I have only heard her side of the story. I'm not making any judgments either way. Maybe she has killed a maid, she is genuinely bipolar and danger to herself or she's even telling the truth.

Sultan

Why do we by default assume other countries justice system is flawed and we are the torch bearers of everything good and right?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why do we by default assume other countries justice system is flawed and we are the torch bearers of everything good and right?
Who's arguing that Western nations are solely good and right? So far on the Caf I've read many acknowledgements of Western hypocrisy and flaws.

But that being said, everybody also prefers Western way of life. It's still much better than other regions of the world.

Sultan

Who's arguing that Western nations are solely good and right? So far on the Caf I've read many acknowledgements of Western hypocrisy and flaws.

But that being said, everybody also prefers Western way of life. It's still much better than other regions of the world.
Have I mentioned Western nations in my post? You'll find most citizens from their respective nations will think their justice systems and cultures are just fine. I include the majority of Americans, Europeans, Russians, Chinese, Cubans, Indians, Pakistanis, etc...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Have I mentioned Western nations in my post? You'll find most citizens from their respective nations will think their justice systems and cultures are just fine. I include the majority of Americans, Europeans, Russians, Chinese, Cubans, Indians, Pakistanis, etc...
Who did you mean by "we" in the post I quoted?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
:lol:

1. You started going on about the US, I never mentioned it in my post. I don't live there & I'm unlikely to go there in the foreseeable future, unless someone else is paying. I don't much care for America or its culture, sport, cars or anything much really. I'm not a fecking hypocrite!

2. This is exactly why I gave up posting in the CE, because of agenda posters like you. As previously said, if you want to complain about America, there are dozens of other threads to do that in. This one is about Dubai, so restrict your comments to the subject in hand.

I see you are from the UAE, why don't you spend your time defending your country's record on human rights, if that is possible, rather than having a go at other posters and countries to which they have zero connection.
Good on you Colin. 2-0.

Gehrman

She's completely honest in her auto-biography that by the time she applied for asylum, she lied about her reasons for seeking asylum in the Netherlands. Essentially she was fleeing an arranged marriage and her family who were Somali, but living in Kenya at the time, but she was thought her chances of asylum were slim, so she made up a story about fleeing the somali civil war to get a better chance at being granted asylum. She is admitted this to her colleagues when she entered politics and later became the reason why her dutch citizenship was revoked. It's true that she, her mother, grandmother and siblings moved from Somalia, to Saudi Arabia, to Ethiopia and then to Kenya. I don't think that was ever disputed.

Sultan

Who did you mean by "we" in the post I quoted?
"used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together"

• used to refer to the speaker together with other people regarded in the same category.
  • people in general.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people considered together"

• used to refer to the speaker together with other people regarded in the same category.
  • people in general.
What did you mean by that post then? Genuinely curious.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Half the population the property of the other half, hidden/imprisoned in cloth bags. Stone age ideology with 21st century tech. How the west conveniently invokes cultural relativism on anything outside the west. Freedom for me but not for thee.. so much to be critical of

In isolation a sad story, many like it. Drop in then ocean, sadly.
You could have made your point criticising Muslim dress codes for women far far better without this sort of phrase.