MLB 2016

Sweet Square

'World Series' is one thing, in that has gained a different meaning from a literal standpoint over time.

But to say 'World Champion' is a different thing altogether...at least from an American perspective. Even the highly visible reporters on TV are saying it, which is amateur.
I might be completely wrong but isn't the reason it's called the World Series something to do with a newspaper sponsorship ?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I feel sick for the Indians and the coach Terry.... Never watched a full game in my life... What the farq is happening to me

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
With the Cubs, Cavs, Leicester this might be the most interesting Sports year of my lifetime.
In our Australian Football League a team (Western Bulldogs) won from 7th position (which has never been done before - the top 8 teams play in the finals series, with the top 4 sides having a double-chance. Only twice before had a team ever won from finishing outside the top 4, and that was from 5th).

This team had only ever won one Premiership in it's entire history since joining the league in 1925, which was in 1954. Which was also the longest Premiership drought in the league too.

It has always been considered a small and poor club too.

This won't mean much to other non-Australians on here but trust me it was every bit an equal achievement as the others mentioned.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I might be completely wrong but isn't the reason it's called the World Series something to do with a newspaper sponsorship ?
It's just something that somebody wrote and it somehow grew over time.

Sort of like how the Premier League wasn't the premier league, but they could call themselves that anyways.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
I've watched the slo-mo replay of Bryant right at the end throwing to Rizzo to win the game so many times.

It's tremendous. Before he even picks the ball up he's got this big shit-eating grin on his face :lol:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I've watched the slo-mo replay of Bryant right at the end throwing to Rizzo to win the game so many times.

It's tremendous. Before he even picks the ball up he's got this big shit-eating grin on his face :lol:
Biggest grin in town as he collects the ball, he knew the whole time it was GG. It's just brilliant isn't it :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
'World Series' is one thing, in that has gained a different meaning from a literal standpoint over time.

But to say 'World Champion' is a different thing altogether...at least from an American perspective. Even the highly visible reporters on TV are saying it, which is amateur.
It's just how the American sporting landscape is setup. I don't like it but the leagues won't change it. I think the Spurs are the only side that you never hear them saying world championship but half their team is from outside the US (well, it was in the past not sure about today).

Giggs86

We started work late today. Everywhere you go it's surreal, feels like a holiday. Can't take nothing seriously.

Did they say when the parade is gonna take place?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If you're a decent man you'll give everyone Thursday and Friday off.
I think we've established that I'm not.

I'll go home early though. Seriously though, I told people to come in when they felt like it.

Carolina Red

Staff
The Cubs organization has invited him back to games and stuff like that before in the past, but he has always declined. He just wants to be a normal person and out of the spotlight.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
the first international break weekend after the Baseball season has finished ....... always a somber time for me