MLB 2021

edcunited1878

I just heard my high school pitching coach screaming across the country.

You never, ever, throw to first from the mound. That is how you launch one into the stands.
Run it over and gather yourself off the mound then toss over on flat ground?? He was on the 3rd base side of the mound when he fielded the ball...but throwing uphill isn't the best!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Run it over and gather yourself off the mound then toss over on flat ground?? He was on the 3rd base side of the mound when he fielded the ball...but throwing uphill isn't the best!
He had plenty of time to take a step to the right first to clear the mound.

Anyways, a really well fielded and pitched game by both sides.

edcunited1878

He had plenty of time to take a step to the right first to clear the mound.

Anyways, a really well fielded and pitched game by both sides.
This is true...I do appreciate pointing out the fundamentals from you and @Carolina Red !

And yes, it's been a clean game defensively and well pitched. First pitch was at 6:37pm Pacific and now it's 9:07pm Pacific. Under 3 hours at bottom of 7, 1 out, 2 on. Not bad pace for a NL playoff game.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is true...I do appreciate pointing out the fundamentals from you and @Carolina Red !

And yes, it's been a clean game defensively and well pitched. First pitch was at 6:37pm Pacific and now it's 9:07pm Pacific. Under 3 hours at bottom of 7, 1 out, 2 on. Not bad pace for a NL playoff game.
We did pitcher infield drill twice a week for 45 minutes. If your foot was even 1 millimeter on the dirt when throwing to first on a comebacker you were running a mile. Those miles pounded that lesson in my head. :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What a bizarre player Brandon Lowe is btw,struggled really badly in the postseason last year . Has a good season again this year and then goes 0-18 this series. Hitting 115 after 113 postseason AB in his career is embarrassing

edcunited1878

We did pitcher infield drill twice a week for 45 minutes. If your foot was even 1 millimeter on the dirt when throwing to first on a comebacker you were running a mile. Those miles pounded that lesson in my head. :lol:
I loved it when some coaches said, "spike a ball over to first base once in a while". I liked mound drills as it made you more aware of your footwork, gather yourself, and just get it over to first with tempo. And covering bases if the ball is hit....nobody slides into the mound, so move your ass if the ball is in play!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I loved it when some coaches said, "spike a ball over to first base once in a while". I liked mound drills as it made you more aware of your footwork, gather yourself, and just get it over to first with tempo. And covering bases if the ball is hit....nobody slides into the mound, so move your ass if the ball is in play!
As someone who played first base when not pitching I fecking hated that.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wow, asking a lot of Doval to go 2 innings, unless he's only pitching the 8th but the other 2 closers this year were Rodgers and McGee, so....

edcunited1878

Wow, asking a lot of Doval to go 2 innings, unless he's only pitching the 8th but the other 2 closers this year were Rodgers and McGee, so....
This is where the analyst shows that this inning, because it's 2-3-4, the heart of the order, is the tougher matchup. So the hold is more difficult than the save at this moment. I like the thinking, but you are emptying the tank here.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is where the analyst shows that this inning, because it's 2-3-4, the heart of the order, is the tougher matchup. So the hold is more difficult than the save at this moment. I like the thinking, but you are emptying the tank here.
Absolutely agree. I was always mystified by coaches who would leave their closers on the bench in this situation because it wasn't the 9th inning. Love what Kapler is doing, just worried if he has him go 2.

edcunited1878

Yep. I see fundamental stuff missed and I’m like “dang man, you’re a pro. Do it right!”
Yeah, watching Smith catch then Posey, it's almost night and day. Smith allowed some wild pitches and didn't block balls because he tried to backhand it...while Posey drops and smothers, or just picks it cleanly because that's Buster.

Doval isn't fair...breaking ball here.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Such an easy 101, it's like he's barely trying. With Doval the story was always his command. The giants prospect blogs I read said he had generational stuff but high school command. The hope was that since he was a converted SS he could still develop it. Hoping that this is proof he did.

edcunited1878

Absolutely agree. I was always mystified by coaches who would leave their closers on the bench in this situation because it wasn't the 9th inning. Love what Kapler is doing, just worried if he has him go 2.
And they said it on the broadcast. Doval was early relief, before Rogers and McGee. But then towards the end of the season, he was pitching in the 8th or later against the Padres. Then has been rotated with Rogers and McGee, based on matchup. That's credit to Kapler and the team for getting them ready and putting them in situations where they matchup well.

edcunited1878

Such an easy 101, it's like he's barely trying. With Doval the story was always his command. The giants prospect blogs I read said he had generational stuff but high school command. The hope was that since he was a converted SS he could still develop it. Hoping that this is proof he did.
He reminds me a little bit of Graterol of the Dodgers...the ball explodes out of their hand and they don't look like they are exuding much effort...on a 100mph fastball, then they break off a dirty slider. But Doval has better command and action than Graterol.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Will be interesting to see if Kapler holds back Webb for game 5. He is unbeaten in SF for like 5 months. Maybe DeScalfane?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Imagine a 100-win season and losing to the bloody Red Sox :houllier:
Sounds like something the Lightening did a couple of years ago. Something in the water in Tampa Bay perhaps.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sounds like something the Lightening did a couple of years ago. Something in the water in Tampa Bay perhaps.
Disappointing, but we did have a chance to hold three of the big four championships simultaneously. Tampa Bay would have been the first to do that in the modern era.

Still fecking sucks to lose to the fecking Red Sox.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Disappointing, but we did have a chance to hold three of the big four championships simultaneously. Tampa Bay would have been the first to do that in the modern era.

I mean yeah, in general it's definitely a good time to be a sports fan in Tampa Bay. Your pro teams are winning games pretty much every week, regardless of the sport.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I mean yeah, in general it's definitely a good time to be a sports fan in Tampa Bay. Your pro teams are winning games pretty much every week, regardless of the sport.
Especially when one takes into account the depths of futility all three teams have displayed in their short lifespans. This feels so alien to fans of the area.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Would it count if Green Bay/Milwaukee did it this year?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The Rays must be built for the regular season. Figured they'd get by Boston and then be in for a dogfight against Houston, of which they nearly choked a 3-0 series lead against the prior year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Must be demoralising pitching against the Astros sometimes. You fight through Altuve, Brantley and Bregman. Bases loaded, you’ve thrown 50 odd balls, you're tired and up steps Carlos Correa.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Must be demoralising pitching against the Astros sometimes. You fight through Altuve, Brantley and Bregman. Bases loaded, you’ve thrown 50 odd balls, you're tired and up steps Carlos Correa.
And in the distance you hear the haunting clang of a ghostly hand banging on metal trashcan