MLB 2022

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Working at the moment but can't wait for tomorrow. Yankees Red Sox then my Marlins open up against the Giants. :drool:

Btw, I managed to get MLB TV for £123 for the season. There was an offer on about a week ago. Not sure if it's still there.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
Just wanted to drop buy and say, "How about those St. Louis Cardinals?" Playoff bound!

greatscott9930

Supports
Why are the Cards playing a AAA team on opening day? Seems like an unfair advantage. ;)
You can only play what's in front of you, but yeah, the Pirates are a joke. So who do you support? Braves or Brewers?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You can only play what's in front of you, but yeah, the Pirates are a joke. So who do you support? Braves or Brewers?
Giants :)

born in LA to massive dodger fan parents so I was duty bound to become a Giants fan. Plus Will Clark was my idol. Spent 20 years in the south and now living (and leaving) Wisconsin.

greatscott9930

Supports
Giants :)

born in LA to massive dodger fan parents so I was duty bound to become a Giants fan. Plus Will Clark was my idol. Spent 20 years in the south and now living (and leaving) Wisconsin.
Well then, wouldn't have guessed that. At least you're not a Dodgers fan! Giants have had some great teams over the last decade or so.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well then, wouldn't have guessed that. At least you're not a Dodgers fan! Giants have had some great teams over the last decade or so.
yep. Even year feckery was great in 10, 12, and 14. Oh, and Posey was better than Molina.

Seriously though, the Cards and Giants had some great battles. The two best catchers of their generation (and HoFers), great pitching, clutch plays, etc.
Posey was better.

greatscott9930

Supports
yep. Even year feckery was great in 10, 12, and 14. Oh, and Posey was better than Molina.

Seriously though, the Cards and Giants had some great battles. The two best catchers of their generation (and HoFers), great pitching, clutch plays, etc.
Posey was better.
Molina I know. Who is this Posey character you speak of? :cool:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Gerrit Cole is struggling big time here. Boos around Yankee stadium as the Red Sox take a 3-0 lead.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Love it! Giants first run of the game comes when Belt drops a bunt down towards third base when the Marlins put on a shift. Never understood why more guys don't do this.

Also, Webb picking right up where he left off in the playoffs. Can he be a genuine #1? Looks like maybe yes.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Jazz Chisholm Jr with a two run homer in the 9th. 5-4 Marlins. Please close this out!

And what a pick up Stallings was. :drool:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Have the Astros done anything in the off season to replace Correa? Seems like they haven't missed a beat to start this season.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have watched that 10 times and I can’t figure out what happened. I mean I know WHAT happened, it’s the HOW. Does he hold his hands slight apart? Did he put too much opposing torque with his hands while swinging? Is he using a balsa wood bat? So many questions.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Blue Jays going to be fun as hell to watch. Hopefully their pitching staff pull it together in the coming months!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Hmmm... Guessing the MLB office (heard analysts state not the umpires but New York) ruled against a bona fide slide, perhaps by sliding past the bag to engage the fielder. Read in the comments it was called in a game this season against Detroit.

(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts

If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01. A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:

(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

A runner who engages in a “bona fide slide” shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner’s contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner’s legal pathway to the base. Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a “bona fide slide” if a runner engages in a “roll block,” or intentionally initiates (or attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder’s knee or throwing his arm or his upper body.

If the umpire determines that the runner violated this Rule 6.01(j), the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter-runner out. Note, however, that if the runner has already been put out then the runner on whom the defense was attempting to make a play shall be declared out.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That’s a bullshit call and if that is the new standard almost every slide into second is going to be a violation.

edcunited1878

That's a weak call, but by the rules of the law the runner didn't make a good attempt at remaining on the base after the completed slide. If he didn't pop up at the end, which is hard since it is natural for most players to do that, maybe he wouldn't have been called out.

Either way, it's a soft call especially as it is a game ending double play on a technically.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That's a weak call, but by the rules of the law the runner didn't make a good attempt at remaining on the base after the completed slide. If he didn't pop up at the end, which is hard since it is natural for most players to do that, maybe he wouldn't have been called out.

Either way, it's a soft call especially as it is a game ending double play on a technically.
Hal McRae does not like new rule. Hal McRae smash rule like second basemen.