MLB 2023

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
College ball, not MLB, but holy shit this ump needs to be fired now. Kudos to the catcher. Also, a bunch of white dudes in the comments on the umps side talking about “teaching the batter a lesson”. Wonder why?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
College ball, not MLB, but holy shit this ump needs to be fired now. Kudos to the catcher. Also, a bunch of white dudes in the comments on the umps side talking about “teaching the batter a lesson”. Wonder why?

Fairytalists can be spotted a mile away...

RedDevilQuebecois

Anyone (other than calodo) following the World Baseball Classic? Some upsets so far.

The atmosphere for a home game in Japan is something else. It feels like college football when the crowd goes at it, especially when the opposition is pitching.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

edcunited1878

Bauer going to Japan apparently. Is that his MLB career over?

Nobody is paying him $20M+ anymore or at least for the immediate future. If he reestablishes himself, some MLB team will offer him a Spring Training invite or minor league deal at minimum. He can also just dedicate himself to his YouTube channel.

RedDevilQuebecois

Now this was about the perfect script you could write for a movie or a manga: the final in the biggest international tournament in the game, only one point separating the finalists, two club teammates - captains and superstars for their respective teams facing each other with the game on the line, and the epic confrontation really goes down to the wire with a full count.

It was a great final in all. Congrats, Japan.

Kazi

Newb here

If the Angels have what seems like the two best players in the world, why haven’t they won anything?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Newb here

If the Angels have what seems like the two best players in the world, why haven’t they won anything?
because Angels :)

Ha! Missed the Newb opening statement, I will answer for real below.

RedDevilQuebecois

Newb here

Because of this guy:

Ohtani and Trout deserve a shot at winning the World Series anywhere else.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Newb here

Because baseball is both the ultimate 1:1 game and team game, at the same time. To put it in terms of united:

Ohtani is one of the best pitchers in baseball. Cas is one of the best DM's in football. Imagine if Cas only played 1 in 5 games.
Trout and Ohtani are 2 of the best hitters in baseball. Martinez and Varane are two of the best CB's in football. Imagine if Utd's opponents could automatically bypass them every time they attacked our goal.

Essentially, baseball is a game in which all 10 players (boo, the DH is an abomination) need to function for a team to be successful.

Kazi

Because baseball is both the ultimate 1:1 game and team game, at the same time. To put it in terms of united:

Ohtani is one of the best pitchers in baseball. Cas is one of the best DM's in football. Imagine if Cas only played 1 in 5 games.
Trout and Ohtani are 2 of the best hitters in baseball. Martinez and Varane are two of the best CB's in football. Imagine if Utd's opponents could automatically bypass them every time they attacked our goal.

Essentially, baseball is a game in which all 10 players (boo, the DH is an abomination) need to function for a team to be successful.
I see.

I’ve heard that with basketball, the players are the most important. With football, it’s the coaches. And with baseball, it’s the GM. So it’d make sense as it’s down to the GM to put together a strong team of 10.

edcunited1878

I see.

I’ve heard that with basketball, the players are the most important. With football, it’s the coaches. And with baseball, it’s the GM. So it’d make sense as it’s down to the GM to put together a strong team of 10.
Baseball takes a complete 25 player roster and injuries are inevitable, thus the replacements or backups have to be capable.

And there's always pitching. A 12 to 13 player pitching staff is hard to assemble and even if Ohtani/Angels win all 32 of his starts, they still need to have about 130 games where Ohtani isn't pitching and that's where they really fall short. Mike Trout and Ohtani only make up 22% of their lineup. If the other 80% of the lineup is constantly injured and not producing (Anthony Rendon) and of that 80%, half of those hitters (4) are average at best, you can pitch around the 22% of threat (Trout and Ohtani) and take your chances against the 80% of average.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I know the feeling, felt the same about Chick Hearn (Lakers) and Vin Scully (Dodgers). Thousands of hours, many of them working with my dad in the garage or yard, were spent with those guys bringing the games to life on our ancient little portable radio.
Add the Rem Dawg, Jerry Remy in Boston to the list, whenever I got the choice I always had him on

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

DH makes sense, without it there wouldn't have been Big Papi and Ohtani would basically have to choose pitching or hitting

edcunited1878

DH makes sense, without it there wouldn't have been Big Papi and Ohtani would basically have to choose pitching or hitting
David Ortiz started out as a first baseman and could have played it, but obviously didn't have to. Same with Ohtani...he could play a corner OF position or 1B, but DH is optimal for him as it protects his arm and body as a starting pitcher.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Hard disagree my friends. The DH is an abomination. It removes a huge chunk of strategy from the game. Should we allow designated FT shooters in basketballl? How about designated free kick takers in football? Hate it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hard disagree my friends. The DH is an abomination. It removes a huge chunk of strategy from the game. Should we allow designated FT shooters in basketballl? How about designated free kick takers in football? Hate it.
+1

edcunited1878

WTF?

That's dumb...the umpire already went into his croutch as he was prepared. What this doesn't show is the seconds/time before the umpire signaled play or what happened before everyone was engaged in their positions...pitcher on the rubber ready to go, catcher in position, umpire right before croutching down, and how long the batter was in the box with both feet. This should have stood as a strike.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That's dumb...the umpire already went into his croutch as he was prepared. What this doesn't show is the seconds/time before the umpire signaled play or what happened before everyone was engaged in their positions...pitcher on the rubber ready to go, catcher in position, umpire right before croutching down, and how long the batter was in the box with both feet. This should have stood as a strike.
Is eye contact actually a rule? I've never heard of such before.

edcunited1878

Is eye contact actually a rule? I've never heard of such before.
Not formally, no. The ump is ready and croutches down. Before that, he had to have indicated 'play' or everyone acknowledged they were good to go. The batter got caught up and the ump was then confused so he just called time on his own. It also seems like it was at the very start of an inning, so first pitch, nobody on, nobody out w 0-0 count.

As Cortes starts his motion towards home plate, the ump, as is correct, goes into his croutch...then pops out of it right when the ball enters the zone. It's such a late and reverse action by the ump.

Similar to how not all dead ball situations in football require a whistle for official restart.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Every year I say I'm going to keep up with baseball this season, and I'm usually out by the end of April.

This year though, this is the one. Let's go Phillies.

Question for the baseball lifers, how many full games do you watch a week, when teams typically play 5/6/7 times a week?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Every year I say I'm going to keep up with baseball this season, and I'm usually out by the end of April.

This year though, this is the one. Let's go Phillies.

Question for the baseball lifers, how many full games do you watch a week, when teams typically play 5/6/7 times a week?
As a Giants fan living on the east coast the answer these days is 0.

Back In grad school all I could afford was the radio package and I have, 20 years later, very fond memories of sitting on my apartment deck in the sun listen to K&K call games. Listened to 2-3 games a week, especially when playing East/Central away games.

edcunited1878

As a Giants fan living on the east coast the answer these days is 0.

Back In grad school all I could afford was the radio package and I have, 20 years later, very fond memories of sitting on my apartment deck in the sun listen to K&K call games. Listened to 2-3 games a week, especially when playing East/Central away games.
Pre-internet and mobiles....listening to ballgames on the radio was a pleasure. And it still listen more than watching game. I watch maybe 1 game per week on MLB.tv or I try to pick good pitching matchups.