MLB 2024

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Might as well start this now to capture all the hot stove league happenings.

No more Mausoleum it seems…

Charlie Foley

Might as well start this now to capture all the hot stove league happenings.

No more Mausoleum it seems…

My dad will be pretty disappointed, he picked that team when he moved to the Bay Area from Ireland (the green and yellow are like the Kerry colours).

Four and half years ago Oakland had the Warriors, Raiders, and A’s. Now…nothing. At least the dubs stayed in the Bay

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sounds like they'll move in 2028 when the Vegas stadium is due to be completed but the lease on the Colosseum ends next year so I wonder where they'll play for those three years

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I like the moves, we might grab another dozen people a night...

In Rainbows

That's a lot of money. Is he any good?
He's the best player in the world when not injured. He's one of the best if he even returns as a capable starting pitcher (defense) in 2025. But the contract doesn't just reflect his performance, it's also the amount of money he will generate for the club. Japanese television broadcoasts like 95% of his matches (162 games in a season), so advertisers will pay the broadcaster for that, which in turn means that broadcaster will pay the new club that money. Japanese advertisers will also pay the club to advertise in their stadium (81 home games). He will also bring in more Asian fans (Japan, Korea, etc...) to buy product or to go to matches.

He's really the only player that can do that because he's not American, and because he's flat out the best Japanese player ever from a talent standpoint.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He's the best player in the world when not injured. He's one of the best if he even returns as a capable starting pitcher (defense) in 2025. But the contract doesn't just reflect his performance, it's also the amount of money he will generate for the club. Japanese television broadcoasts like 95% of his matches (162 games in a season), so advertisers will pay the broadcaster for that, which in turn means that broadcaster will pay the new club that money. Japanese advertisers will also pay the club to advertise in their stadium (81 home games). He will also bring in more Asian fans (Japan, Korea, etc...) to buy product or to go to matches.

He's really the only player that can do that because he's not American, and because he's flat out the best Japanese player ever from a talent standpoint.
Appreciate this response even though I was being tongue in cheek. Ohtani is dynamite and it'll be great to see him finally play for a team who actually contend, much like it would have been brilliant to see Trout in his prime, and hopefully one day Lane Thomas.

I wonder too if his legacy will be greater than Ichiro's when he retires. Maybe that's a debate for the future day.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Appreciate this response even though I was being tongue in cheek. Ohtani is dynamite and it'll be great to see him finally play for a team who actually contend, much like it would have been brilliant to see Trout in his prime, and hopefully one day Lane Thomas.

I wonder too if his legacy will be greater than Ichiro's when he retires. Maybe that's a debate for the future day.
That would be a good debate.

In Rainbows

That would be a good debate.
I think Ohtani's MLB career is already seen as more illustrious than Ichiro's despite it being shorter because of a 2nd MVP and because he's largely seen by foreigners (outside Japan) as the best talent to ever live or next to Babe Ruth. Ichiro is the only Japanese player to win best player or pitcher for a given season (MVP) and his .300 hitting averages + his gold glove defense kind of add to a certain mystique. So the fact that Ohtani adds more mystique by being the only 2 way player since Ruth, and can become the home run king I think puts him above Ichiro as far as MLB reputation.

Domestically, Ichiro accomplished so much in the Japanese league compared to Ohtani that I'm sure there will be plenty who look at the longevity of Ichiro to argue Ichiro > Ohtani.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This just shouldn’t be allowed to happen, even if it is at the player’s behest…

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just reading Ohtani makes about $50mm in sponsorships a year so only banking $2mm a year isn't a major issue and ensures he'll be raking it in for 10 years after retirement. Kerching.

The fact he seems like a humble chap - no parking on double yellow lines or anything - makes me wonder what exactly he has planned for the future. Maybe he's going to buy the Dodgers?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like someone has been researching Bobby Bonilla
I don’t understand how it’s a good deal though? Eventually they’re gonna have to pay him the remaining $680m. How will they achieve that without breaking cap rules without further creative accounting?

the_cliff

I don’t understand how it’s a good deal though? Eventually they’re gonna have to pay him the remaining $680m. How will they achieve that without breaking cap rules without further creative accounting?
From my understanding of it they'll pay the remaining 680 mill over the 10 years Ohtani's contract finishes. So from 2034-2043. Thus giving them the best chance to compete with Ohtani and be hamstrung for 10 years after he's gone.

Also I'm not sure that MLB has a salary cap. Like the NBA and NFL for example. I could be wrong

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
From my understanding of it they'll pay the remaining 680 mill over the 10 years Ohtani's contract finishes. So from 2034-2043. Thus giving them the best chance to compete with Ohtani and be hamstrung for 10 years after he's gone.

Also I'm not sure that MLB has a salary cap. Like the NBA and NFL for example. I could be wrong
MLB doesn't have a salary cap for players, there is one for teams though for which the get penalised when they break it

For the Dodgers it helps them compete now but it might come back to bite them in a few years, for Ohtani it guarantees income long after he retires + he may also save a ton in taxes

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I guess I’m surprised at how much the Dodgers are willing to defer. I get that it gives them huge financial flexibility right now while having the best player in the world, but surely a more balanced structure would work better for the team, instead of having a $680m bill waiting for them in 10 years.

the_cliff

I guess I’m surprised at how much the Dodgers are willing to defer. I get that it gives them huge financial flexibility right now while having the best player in the world, but surely a more balanced structure would work better for the team, instead of having a $680m bill waiting for them in 10 years.
I'm guessing they think they'll make that back (or most of it) within the 10 year time frame anyway. Which because of his marketability is plausible.

Zen

The only dodgy part of this to me is the fact he's allowing the Dodgers to have the interest on it. At some point, like Chelsea, the Dodgers will have to pay for it... so who cares. Paying for $68m per year for either a 39-49 year old while also paying him his actual contract for those years or a player retired/playing for someone else is just mental risk to me.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The only dodgy part of this to me is the fact he's allowing the Dodgers to have the interest on it. At some point, like Chelsea, the Dodgers will have to pay for it... so who cares. Paying for $68m per year for either a 39-49 year old while also paying him his actual contract for those years or a player retired/playing for someone else is just mental risk to me.
It's not as mental as it seems, it potentially works well for both parties.

For the Dodgers it enables them to spend more now without busting the bank, they need pitching and this allows them to go for a top arm now, because the team spending cap will increase the deferred payments won't affect it as much as it would now

On Ohtani's side, deferred payments means he earns a ton of money when he's in retirement + his tax bill will likely be a lot less as he's probably not going to be living in California

As for playing elsewhere, the other team is responsible for his contract unless the Dodgers agree to pay some or all of it as part of the deal