MLB 2024

Charlie Foley

Will have to look at Nats and O’s schedule soon and see what games I can go to. Someday I’ll make the breakthrough with baseball beyond general San Franciscan fandom

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Will have to look at Nats and O’s schedule soon and see what games I can go to. Someday I’ll make the breakthrough with baseball beyond general San Franciscan fandom
Why seek grape juice when you have sipped Champaigne?

Charlie Foley

Why seek grape juice when you have sipped Champaigne?
No I mean, I’ll still support the giants, but I’m trying to like baseball more and care about the sport, not just want SF teams to win because of where they’re from

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No I mean, I’ll still support the giants, but I’m trying to like baseball more and care about the sport, not just want SF teams to win because of where they’re from
Well you should look at one of the following:

Colorado Rockies.
Milwaukee Brewers.
San Diego Padres.
Seattle Mariners.
Tampa Bay Rays.

The 5 MLB teams that haven't won the World Series @calodo2003 will be your friend if you choose the Rays

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Fair enough, and a good idea as focusing on just the Giants might actually lead to sipping a lot of alcohol but no champaign this year.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Colorado Rockies.
Milwaukee Brewers.
San Diego Padres.
Seattle Mariners.
Tampa Bay Rays.

The 5 MLB teams that haven't won the World Series @calodo2003 will be your friend if you choose the Rays
Friends don't let friends voluntarily support the Rays.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Friends don't let friends voluntarily support the Rays.
The Rays need all the fans they can get!

I went to Tropicana years ago to see the Red Sox play them, the Red Sox fans out numbered them 2 to 1, and that seems to be a regular thing as when I watch them on TV there's always more of the Beantown followers than the local fish support!

Do I assume you're a Brewer?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Rays need all the fans they can get!

I went to Tropicana years ago to see the Red Sox play them, the Red Sox fans out numbered them 2 to 1, and that seems to be a regular thing as when I watch them on TV there's always more of the Beantown followers than the local fish support!

Do I assume you're a Brewer?
Grew up in LA with massive Dodger fan parents, so the obvious thing to do was to support the Giants.

The Even Year Magic era was peak sports fandom for me. I have vivid memories of so many of those playoff games.

This one’s for @Charlie Foley :D

Charlie Foley

Colorado Rockies.
Milwaukee Brewers.
San Diego Padres.
Seattle Mariners.
Tampa Bay Rays.

No I’ll stick with the Giants, especially with the A’s leaving I don’t have to support my dad’s team :lol: If anyone has any good youtube channels or podcasts that would be appreciated

Charlie Foley

Grew up in LA with massive Dodger fan parents, so the obvious thing to do was to support the Giants.

The Even Year Magic era was peak sports fandom for me. I have vivid memories of so many of those playoff games.

This one’s for @Charlie Foley :D

I remember that era, my cousins in the Bay Area were pretty excited. We went to a game in 2011 against I think the padres. I’ve seen them play the Nats twice in DC (one big win and got smoked last year).

I do like baseball once I get into it, my dad is obsessed with it, my yearly Father’s Day gift is once MLB tv goes on sale I get him a subscription to watch in Ireland :lol:, and the playoffs are very intense. I’m just very ignorant as to who’s a good player and what makes them good.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I remember that era, my cousins in the Bay Area were pretty excited. We went to a game in 2011 against I think the padres. I’ve seen them play the Nats twice in DC (one big win and got smoked last year).

I do like baseball once I get into it, my dad is obsessed with it, my yearly Father’s Day gift is once MLB tv goes on sale I get him a subscription to watch in Ireland :lol:, and the playoffs are very intense. I’m just very ignorant as to who’s a good player and what makes them good.
I saw the Giants play the Brewer's in Pac Bell park as it was then in 2001 on my first ever west coast trip, it was days after Barry Bonds had hit his 500th homer.

The weird thing about it was I was staying in a hostel and one of the guys had a spare ticket, he was from Slovenia, on his first US trip, and was obsessed with baseball.

He'd flown into Chicago, went to a couple of games there and got on the train to Seattle, then another train to SF where I met him, from there he was going to LA, Denver and if I recall correctly Kansas City and then back to Chicago, all by train and just to watch baseball

My first game was at Fenway Park in 1999, my first US trip, one of my brothers was living there at the time, so the Red Sox were my team, I knew nothing about the history, the curse and so on!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sad day in Seminole country, this cat put out some amazing pros. Never got the CWS ring which was unfortunate…

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Speaking of MLB players who could ball. One of my favorite trivia tidbits learned during that 2002 season (feck you and your rabies carrying rally monkey Speizio) was that Kenny Lofton only played in 5 college games and had one AB before being drafted. Amazing career considering.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Hitting major league pitching in the most difficult thing to do in sports and it’s not even close. I would challenge anyone who disagrees to head to the batting cages and take a few swings at 80 (usually the highest they go) and then immediately jump in the 60.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Hitting major league pitching in the most difficult thing to do in sports and it’s not even close. I would challenge anyone who disagrees to head to the batting cages and take a few swings at 80 (usually the highest they go) and then immediately jump in the 60.
Don't know about the most difficult thing in sport but it's a lot harder than it looks.

When I was a young 'un I played cricket at a decent level, about 20 years ago I had a go against a machine in a batting cage before a White Sox/Red Sox game in Chicago, I faced 6 balls from the machine, I was with a mate I grew up with and played in the same cricket team, he was falling about in laughter as I swung and missed each time, then he had a go and boy was his face red, he got as close to hitting the ball as I did!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Don't know about the most difficult thing in sport but it's a lot harder than it looks.

When I was a young 'un I played cricket at a decent level, about 20 years ago I had a go against a machine in a batting cage before a White Sox/Red Sox game in Chicago, I faced 6 balls from the machine, I was with a mate I grew up with and played in the same cricket team, he was falling about in laughter as I swung and missed each time, then he had a go and boy was his face red, he got as close to hitting the ball as I did!
It's not the speed that will get you. Most people can figure out the timing to at least foul off a fastball. It's the speed changes and movement (90mph fastball followed by a 75MPH 12-6 CB? :lol:) that makes it the hardest thing to do in sports.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It's not the speed that will get you. Most people can figure out the timing to at least foul off a fastball. It's the speed changes and movement (90mph fastball followed by a 75MPH 12-6 CB? :lol:) that makes it the hardest thing to do in sports.
That was why I couldn't hit it, my excuse was that it was pretty dim and I wasn't picking up the ball at all, I would have expected to get some of the bat on the ball even if it was a foul or a bloop!

Scanny

I just stick with my general support of SF.
Clueless about anything but the very basics of baseball.

MarylandMUFan

I moved to a place where my closest team is the O's single A team (Shorebirds). I actually enjoy the cost and ease of minor league baseball more than MLB at this point.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I moved to a place where my closest team is the O's single A team (Shorebirds). I actually enjoy the cost and ease of minor league baseball more than MLB at this point.
Agreed. When we lived in Birmingham we were 5 min away from the Hoover Met ( the Barons old stadium). We could just pop in for “dinner” and a few innings for less then going out. Thirsty Thursday ($1 beers, $0.50 hot dogs) was heaven for two people living on graduate school stipends. The quality was pretty good including some big name prospects at the time.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'm in the meca for minor league ball and spring training - Tampa. Have clubs and training locations all down the southern east and west coasts, plus Lakeland in the middle.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm in the meca for minor league ball and spring training - Tampa. Have clubs and training locations all down the southern east and west coasts, plus Lakeland in the middle.
Jealous. Always liked hitting Dunedin, Lakeland, & Sarasota for games each spring training.