MLB 2024

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
From what I read, the Dodgers will need to put a huge chunk ($44M) in an escrow account each year, so they are not getting off cash free for 10 years. It is still bonkers and does seem a bit of an unfair advantage to the deep pocket teams.

Shohei Ohtani will defer $680M in deal with Dodgers, sources say - ABC News (go.com)
The collective bargaining agreement does not place a limit on the amount of money that can be deferred, but teams have to set aside the present-day value of the deferred money -- in Ohtani's case, around $44 million in cash each year -- in an escrow account.
\

Zen

It's not as mental as it seems, it potentially works well for both parties.

For the Dodgers it enables them to spend more now without busting the bank, they need pitching and this allows them to go for a top arm now, because the team spending cap will increase the deferred payments won't affect it as much as it would now

On Ohtani's side, deferred payments means he earns a ton of money when he's in retirement + his tax bill will likely be a lot less as he's probably not going to be living in California

As for playing elsewhere, the other team is responsible for his contract unless the Dodgers agree to pay some or all of it as part of the deal
Not my point there to be fair. His "deal" expires in 2034, which is the same time his 10 year stretch of deferred payments come in.... but in 2034 he will also be a free agent, so he could sign for the Yankees on peanuts, age like Barry Bonds(i'm ignoring a steroid debate here for arguments sake) and the Dodgers will casually still be paying him $68m for another 10 years.

I get that in theory the Dodgers had him for peanuts too in that sense, but they've paid him a hefty premium due to that that he agreed to this. The general consensus was he gonna get $500m to $600m, so the bump is in lieu of the interest and willingness to defer.

I like it, it's an interesting swing - whether it works is another thing. But again, MLB doesn't like inventive stuff like this, so the CBA will tweak it massively in a couple of years.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not my point there to be fair. His "deal" expires in 2034, which is the same time his 10 year stretch of deferred payments come in.... but in 2034 he will also be a free agent, so he could sign for the Yankees on peanuts, age like Barry Bonds(i'm ignoring a steroid debate here for arguments sake) and the Dodgers will casually still be paying him $68m for another 10 years.

I get that in theory the Dodgers had him for peanuts too in that sense, but they've paid him a hefty premium due to that that he agreed to this. The general consensus was he gonna get $500m to $600m, so the bump is in lieu of the interest and willingness to defer.

I like it, it's an interesting swing - whether it works is another thing. But again, MLB doesn't like inventive stuff like this, so the CBA will tweak it massively in a couple of years.
It's not really inventive, it's been done before, just not on this scale $$$ wise

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
IRT to Ohtani avoiding taxes later when he collects deferred pay, I've seen posts on social media that mention California has a statute that money received whenever for income earned while employed in California is subject to state income tax. That it's not based on when received it's based on how earned, i.e., employment in the state of California. So, even if he's back in Japan, or in a state with no state income tax, or living on his own island in the Caribbean, the state will take a chunk of that money when it's paid out. Perhaps there are loopholes or perhaps he could be like "come get it from me" while he's outside the US borders. I'd be curious to know the true legality of it, and of course there could be a loophole today but possibly not by 203x with no grandfather clause.

I also seem to recall athletes get taxed for income earned for road games. For MLB, like half their income is the home state tax and the other half varies over multiple state tax codes. A MLB player may have a tax bill for 90-100 days income in the home state and a few days in this state, a few days in that state, etc.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A good signing, I guess??? He is the same profile as Matos (elite contact skill, medium power, fringe CF range), but it is a profile that fits the park. The Giants need to go all in on starting pitching as no star hitter is going to want to play in that park. Pitching and defense won three titles a decade ago, time to run it back.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Word going round Dodgers are in for Glasnow and Margot in exchange for Pepiot and Deluca. Pepiot is a talent but I have to think that's a great deal for the Dodgers who seem all in this year

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Word going round Dodgers are in for Glasnow and Margot in exchange for Pepiot and Deluca. Pepiot is a talent but I have to think that's a great deal for the Dodgers who seem all in this year
Totally a Rays trade, get five years younger with each man & reduce injury scares. Both Glasnow & Margot can be a little brittle.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Looks done with the Rays getting four million as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yamamoto to the dodgers for $325 million/12 year. Games broken. That is over $1 billion spent on 2 players. No other team can compete with that kind of outlay, and the way Ohtani "structured" his contract means they are not even close to being done. I expect Snell to be next.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yamamoto to the dodgers for $325 million/12 year. Games broken. That is over $1 billion spent on 2 players. No other team can compete with that kind of outlay, and the way Ohtani "structured" his contract means they are not even close to being done. I expect Snell to be next.
That is quite fecked up.

At least we will see the end of the deferred structure contract go bye bye during the next collective bargain.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did I just hear this right, the Yamamoto contract is the largest starting pitcher contract ever? fecker hasn't thrown a pitch in the bigs yet.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Where in GA will you be resting your sick head?
Athens area. The benefit of the COVID is I won't have to listen to my sister in laws husband's whiny ass Bulldog supporting family bitch about not getting into the CFP. I count it as a net positive.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Athens area. The benefit of the COVID is I won't have to listen to my sister in laws husband's whiny ass Bulldog supporting family bitch about not getting into the CFP. I count it as a net positive.
Oh, you are so lucky. It's been non-stop plaintive moaning & groaning ever since that horseshit selection Sunday.

But, I think the collective uproar would pale in comparison to how the UAT fans would have acted.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I was going to be cynical but I'm more amazed that Porsche represents something like 0.002% of his annual (deferred) salary.* It puts into focus how much money that man earns.

Nice gesture though :)

*It's more of course because I haven't factored in sponsorship payments.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I remember when Deion bought Alundis Brice a BMW for swapping numbers in 1995, although Brice maintains he immediately offered the number without request but Deion wanted to give the rookie something for the act.

I figure it's happened frequently but perhaps not for a spouse/family.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Will he ever play in the MLB again though?
If he’s found guilty of the new charges, don’t think so. US government can revoke his visa.

There are some Rays fans on social media who are salivating about the remote prospect of getting him back this coming season. We did desperately miss his bat (& to a lesser extent his defense) in the lead up to the playoffs, but he has way too much baggage to even consider bringing him back.

But you know some team will if it is allowed. True generational talents just don’t grow on trees.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If he’s found guilty of the new charges, don’t think so. US government can revoke his visa.

There are some Rays fans on social media who are salivating about the remote prospect of getting him back this coming season. We did desperately miss his bat (& to a lesser extent his defense) in the lead up to the playoffs, but he has way too much baggage to even consider bringing him back.

But you know some team will if it is allowed. True generational talents just don’t grow on trees.
To a wide swath of sports fans it would seem women are disposable, but guys who can hit ball far or score goals are much less so.