Mo Salah | Choccy: He gone | Choccy gone, Choccy wrong | beIN sports: Agrees to Al Ittihad's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerociousCorgis

Every one knows City, PSG, Chelsea have money and they are still paying market rate for players. For EPL clubs English national £100m+, and foreign quality players £65-70m+. I don't think it will make much difference.
in a way yes, but there is FFP that supposedly keeps things under. Once teams know now that Pool will have that injection they know specifically that they have more available funds to pay with

Righteous Steps

He will go next summer maybe, not this one the transfer window is closed, no one sells a big player like that without replacements lined up.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I've found a lot of you Utd posters really hold firmly to this notion. I guess you need something after going a decade PL-less. Using our previous season as our de facto.

Back to Salah, £250m would be my bar. Can't argue with that sort of money regardless of not buying a replacement straight away.
As opposed to 1 Covid-asterixed PL in the last 30 years?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yes please, Klopp is the only one who can save us germans from Hansi Flick and an embarassing EC at home next year.

#SellSalah
#FreeKlopp
:lol:
I don't think his style of management (and style of play) is really suited to international football to be honest. Not enough time to work with the players and too much of a pragmatic approach.

The transfer window is closed any sane manager turns that offer down.
Long-term it would still be a brilliant move. I don't see the difference between accepting it now or two weeks ago, realistically we wouldn't have been able to bring in a like-for-like replacement for a reasonable fee anyway.

acnumber9

I've found a lot of you Utd posters really hold firmly to this notion. I guess you need something after going a decade PL-less. Using our previous season as our de facto.

Back to Salah, £250m would be my bar. Can't argue with that sort of money regardless of not buying a replacement straight away.
Generally speaking what happened most recently is a better indicator than something that happened 3 years ago.

Righteous Steps

I don't think his style of management (and style of play) is really suited to international football to be honest. Not enough time to work with the players and too much of a pragmatic approach.

Long-term it would still be a brilliant move. I don't see the difference between accepting it now or two weeks ago, realistically we wouldn't have been able to bring in a like-for-like replacement for a reasonable fee anyway.
Yes that’s why it got rejected two weeks ago, there’s nobody on the Liverpool side who can play on the right wing to Salah or even Diaz and Jotas standard, in fact there aren’t that many world class wide forwards who play on the right, full stop.

Klopp is not going to destabilise the side when the season has already started just for the money to look good in the accounts, no manager with aspirations of winning major trophies would do such a thing, if the offer came in June it’s a different story.

acnumber9

I think if you’re going on recent patterns he likelihood is Liverpool challenge for the league again.
It’s not a mathematical equation. It’s not the same squad they had two years ago. If people want to make the point Liverpool will be better it should be based on them possibly improving their midfield. Not that they have had a recent pattern of alternating good seasons.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
For a like to like Salah replacement with the same output in mid 20s probably will cost over 150m may be even 200m in today's market. See Mbappe.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I hope they sell him, 170m still won't guarantee a goalscorer like him next season, and they'll lose a major source of goals for this season. They're going to get a wad of cash either way in the next couple of years for him, we need all the help we can get from teams around us to get top 5.
You sure? I'd think 170m could get virtually any player...? Am I wrong?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I think this year I would turn it down - it basically ruins any chance of you being competitive. It's not like you're skint since you have a lot of leeway with FFP.

Next year though? Even £150m would be an offer to take. He'd be 32, the decline would be coming sooner rather than later and he does rely on his physique.

The problem you will face is the market for RWs is incredibly dry.
Marktan! Buddy! :lol:

Seriously, you'd turn it down? Liverpool without Salah is United level currently, no?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
For a like to like Salah replacement with the same output in mid 20s probably will cost over 150m may be even 200m in today's market. See Mbappe.
That's not how we operate and nor will we in the future, I'm afraid. We don't buy global superstars like Mbappe, they are unattainable for us, even Bellingham was when Madrid came calling. Think it's much more likely we sign 2 or 3 promising wingers for £40-70m each in their early 20s and hope at least one, perhaps two develop into a player close to what Salah has done for us - it's not realistic to expect any signing to equal or better his performances imo, even Torres and Suarez in recent history don't really come close to his output.

Oldyella

If he fetches us £215m aged 31 we would be mad to turn it down. Together with our other funds available we could further strengthen the squad in all positions of need and gear up to be competitive for the next five years.
Yeah it's insane money.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's even more classic that Ronaldo started this whole exodus and the bugger went after a mutual termination of the contract!
Yep, when there was talk of a £30m fee or something we all thought was utterly fanciful.

Although everyone laughing at him saying Saudi will quickly emerge as a top 6 league and that no-one of any note would go there must be feeling an utter twat now.

Conor

You sure? I'd think 170m could get virtually any player...? Am I wrong?
Salah is nearly impossible to replace, you can count on 1 hand the people that might be able to do it, and they most likely won't be for sale, and Liverpool don't buy those players anyway. They will have to gamble on some people, and it may not work.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, absolutely sucks :lol:

Like everything that could possibly go wrong, has gone wrong - even trying to raise some funds through sales to Saudi.
Yep.
Other clubs can buy a Havertz and watch him utterly flop, then ship him for a good fee.

Whilst we'll inevitable see Sancho, Anthony, Maguire all fade to close to zero.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I’d be careful what you wish for. That money could be used to chase Saka.
Player comes and goes. If the player wants to leave there is not much you can do. Newcastle, PSG, Man City and Chelsea all have money anyway.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yep.
Other clubs can buy a Havertz and watch him utterly flop, then ship him for a good fee.

Whilst we'll inevitable see Sancho, Anthony, Maguire all fade to close to zero.
Would be funny if it wasn’t so sad (& true!). We had the worlds highest paid goalkeeper on our books…he’s a free agent and still haven’t found a club. Literally sums up how we’ve been run.

Red00012

A “mid season break “ pl champions.
Empty stadium Champions

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I'm sure ye will eventually win a real one, that isn't tainted by covid, with an asteriks forever next to it. Such a shame that was behind closed doors with no fans to celebrate !

Petition to reinstate choccy if he does eventually leave! I believe he was a year late and very clearly talking out his arse but still he was right eventually.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It looks normal on my screen. Let me double check. I don't remember i changed font.
You know what you did.
We've had a quick group discussion and we'll let this once go. But will look very dimly on it if you do it again.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Saka wouldn’t leave Arsenal for Liverpool. They ain’t big enough.

philippexyz

It looks like they will sell him next summer for ridiculous amount of money(more than Coutinho even) and will use that money to completely rejuvenate and complete the squad.

What a jackpot of a signing has Salah been, it's almost unfathomable. Chelsea reject. Liverpool buy him for relatively cheap(something like €40m), he suddenly, unexpectedly explodes and becomes immediately the best right winger on the planet. Great for marketing because he's Arab(at least speaks Arabic, I'm not very knowledgeable about Egypt's demographics), and that's unique - he probably attracted a lot of North African/Middle Eastern/Arabian fans to support Liverpool.

And now, Saudis desperately want him as a face for their football league project. Even though he is in his thirties now, Liverpool will get massive money for him, maybe even break the Neymar transfer record, or at least close to it. Saudis are basically financing 3 of our rivals - Newcastle, Chelsea and most annoyingly, Liverpool...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
A “mid season break “ pl champions.
Empty stadium Champions
I'm sure ye will eventually win a real one, that isn't tainted by covid, with an asteriks forever next to it. Such a shame that was behind closed doors with no fans to celebrate !

Petition to reinstate choccy if he does eventually leave! I believe he was a year late and very clearly talking out his arse but still he was right eventually.
All these Tenormen tears are delish. But what I'm trying to say is Utd fans are now where I was in 2000, ten years after our last league win.

I'm recognising all the feelings, tantrums, unrealistic expectations. You've got a while to go before things finally fall back into a good groove. In the meantime, don't keep thinking a(nother) change of manager and a(nother) flukey CL place finish is a sign of better things to come when you're still rolling the same boulder up that never ending hill.

The football Utd are producing is still just as bad as under Gaal, Jose, Ralf, Ole.

The reason I posted this was to help more than anything. Losing Salah will not see us tumble. Losing Klopp will finish us. I'm realistic enough to accept that. I'm also now old and wise enough to recognise it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This whole time I thought the Choccy in the thread title was referring to Brian McClair. Not sure why he'd have the inside track on a Liverpool transfer though.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The reason I posted this was to help more than anything. Losing Salah will not see us tumble. Losing Klopp will finish us. I'm realistic enough to accept that. I'm also now old and wise enough to recognise it.
Tumble from....? You've been consistently shite a few years now! Hopefully ye re-hire Rodgers and you might manage to finish above us next year x

Real Name

All these Tenormen tears are delish. But what I'm trying to say is Utd fans are now where I was in 2000, ten years after our last league win.

I'm recognising all the feelings, tantrums, unrealistic expectations. You've got a while to go before things finally fall back into a good groove. In the meantime, don't keep thinking a(nother) change of manager and a(nother) flukey CL place finish is a sign of better things to come when you're still rolling the same boulder up that never ending hill.

The football Utd are producing is still just as bad as under Gaal, Jose, Ralf, Ole.

You certainly dont post like an old and wise man. When will you come to that point in life?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd use this time to scout potential targets between now and January and assess how Salah does too. If he's naff, sell in Jan and bring someone else in. If he's good then sell at the end of the season and set up a summer deal for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.