Mo Salah | Choccy: He gone | Choccy gone, Choccy wrong | beIN sports: Agrees to Al Ittihad's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintyred

Another variation on the old "take away their best players and they are not that special"
Klopp is a top manager but he’s been massively helped by Salah. When Liverpool play poorly Salah drags them across the line.

Klopp has fallen apart before when he’s lost good players and I think people don’t realise how good Salah actually is.

the_cliff

You’re confusing clubs.

Gerrard manages al Ettifaq.
The club interested in Salah is al Ittihad.
Yes. Also Al Ettifaq can't afford him. 4 clubs are owned by the PFI of Saudi and it's the same 4 teams that are getting most of the investment.
Al Nassr
Al Hilal
Al Ittihad
Al Ahli

Those are the 4 teams that could actually afford Salah.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yes. Also Al Ettifaq can't afford him. 4 clubs are owned by the PFI of Saudi and it's the same 4 teams that are getting most of the investment.
Al Nassr
Al Hilal
Al Ittihad
Al Ahli

They need to something about the names.

jadaba

He didn’t make Salah at all, Salah was tearing it up before he got to Liverpool for Roma and Fiorentina. Salah wasn’t a Klopp signing so he didn’t want him initially but he realised immediately how good he was and he’s carried Klopp for large parts of his Liverpool career.
Klopp definitely had a role in making Salah what he is today. Salah was a Chelsea flop but evolved to become a good Roma player, nothing more. There was no hint in Serie A back then of him becoming the player that he eventually became.

jadaba

So they Saudi clubs need to change because of a shared prefix but all the clubs with a shared suffix don’t? Strange hill to die on!
The whole Arabic language should change to avoid confusing football fans in 2023.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The whole Arabic language should change to avoid confusing football fans in 2023.
Exactly. Ban the word ‘al’, even though it means ‘the’, and might make things more confusing!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Dont mind me, I just find him as an utter cnut and an extremely annoying guy who's facing perjury charges in Croatia.
Wasn't aware of that, apologies.

From everything I hear about Croatian football, both the liga for the national team and your national league, it feels like it's still ran by a lot of corrupt people, no? A shame really for a country as small as yours that has done so amazingly well at the last few big tournaments.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Football teams rebrand all the time, badges, crests, dropping the word "the" from every football team is likely what they will do.

Not like the Al is a core part of the identity of said team is it? Not asking them to rename themselves in English

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
Al Nassr
Al Hilal
Al Ittihad
Al Ahli

For now, but I think the long term plan is for all the clubs to be "privatised", for instance Aramco have a couple now. Looks like the PIF 4 are where the initial money is going but there is going to be a second wave of this with other clubs getting involved. Going to be a pretty shit league if they dump everything into just 4 clubs. Gerrard's team is still owned by the Ministry of Sport so imagine if they really wanted to they could go buy Salah, same way they randomly decided to make henderson one of the highest paid players in the world.

jadaba

Football teams rebrand all the time, badges, crests, dropping the word "the" from every football team is likely what they will do.

Not like the Al is a core part of the identity of said team is it? Not asking them to rename themselves in English
It's not impossible they'd move away from it because as you say rebranding is common., but (sorry to bring geopolitics into it) if we look at Saudi's footballing push within their wider activities, they're pretty keen to establish themselves at the helm of a non-Western led world, they made a point recently at a summit with China that speeches won't be delivered in the English language. Other than keeping the 'al' for it to make sense in Arabic--there's a big market in the Arab world to watch their league after all--I wouldn't be surprised if they also keep it for political reasons.

*The Old Trafford is hosting The Manchester United and The Everton
That's *The Royal Entity of The Manchester United.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

It's not impossible they'd move away from it because as you say rebranding is common., but (sorry to bring geopolitics into it) if we look at Saudi's footballing push within their wider activities, they're pretty keen to establish themselves at the helm of a non-Western led world, they made a point recently at a summit with China that speeches won't be delivered in the English language. Other than keeping the 'al' for it to make sense in Arabic--there's a big market in the Arab world to watch their league after all--I wouldn't be surprised if they also keep it for political reasons.

That's *The Royal Entity of The Manchester United.
Fair enough, I assumed the prefix was "the" so has no real bearing on their brand or identity as it's just a prefix.

I would imagine they could go geographical given the current names don't really align with where they play?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp being carried by Salah all this time is definitely an innovative one as hot takes go.

Who knew that Klopp wasn't all that after all?

jadaba

Fair enough, I assumed the prefix was "the" so has no real bearing on their brand or identity as it's just a prefix.

I would imagine they could go geographical given the current names don't really align with where they play?
Yeah taking it away would make it odd in Arabic but more straightforward in English / Latin alphabets. But it'd be genuinely hilarious if they just translated the names into English because as you point out they aren't linked to location, suddenly they'd become 'Agreement FC', 'Victory FC', etc.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Dont mind me, I just find him as an utter cnut and an extremely annoying guy who's facing perjury charges in Croatia.
What could possible be annoying about someone like Lovren?

Shark

@NotShark
Klopp being carried by Salah all this time is definitely an innovative one as hot takes go.

Who knew that Klopp wasn't all that after all?
He wasn't "carried" by Mane either but things went downhill after he left. Now you're losing another player that was providing the bulk of your goals.

Real Name

Wasn't aware of that, apologies.

From everything I hear about Croatian football, both the liga for the national team and your national league, it feels like it's still ran by a lot of corrupt people, no? A shame really for a country as small as yours that has done so amazingly well at the last few big tournaments.
Oh yes, corruption is a big problem still, football is a toy for lots of dubious people. Add to that lousy football infrastructre and us being so good at international level and producing talented players is a miracle. Who knows, maybe we'd be unsucessul if everything in and around football was a lot better. :D

Btw Modrić is facing the same charges.

Real Name

What could possible be annoying about someone like Lovren?

:lol:
Exactly, he's a human cringe.

Was big about cancelling Disney channel cause of propaganda of course and anti-vaxxer (he got vaccinated nevertheless) but when he needed to confirm what he said to the prosecution office in court he was quiet as a mouse.

erikcred

He wasn't "carried" by Mane either but things went downhill after he left. Now you're losing another player that was providing the bulk of your goals.
You're just asking to be mocked with posts like this. Diaz was injured most of the season, Mane sucked at Bayern and got sold at the first chance.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Yeah taking it away would make it odd in Arabic but more straightforward in English / Latin alphabets. But it'd be genuinely hilarious if they just translated the names into English because as you point out they aren't linked to location, suddenly they'd become 'Agreement FC', 'Victory FC', etc.
Serendipity FC

I like that

Chief123

He didn’t make Salah at all, Salah was tearing it up before he got to Liverpool for Roma and Fiorentina. Salah wasn’t a Klopp signing so he didn’t want him initially but he realised immediately how good he was and he’s carried Klopp for large parts of his Liverpool career.
Unfortunately you are way off with pretty much everything you’ve said.

Salah certainly didn’t tear it up at Fiorentina. 6 goals in 10 appearances.

His last season at Roma was his best of his career to that point with 15 goals.

After signing for Liverpool, he scored 32 goals and 10 assists in his first season. His best ever career stats by some distance doubling his return of his best season previous to that. Every year after that he has performed better than he ever did before his Liverpool career. Like I said Salah wasn’t even a guaranteed starter when Klopp signed him. Salah went to world class level under Klopp and became the best player in the premier league for an extended period of time under Klopp’s coaching.

There are many other examples of players excelling massively due to Klopp. Mane, Firmino, wijnaldum, henderson, Fabinho just never get to the level they did under any other manager.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Klopp is a top manager but he’s been massively helped by Salah. When Liverpool play poorly Salah drags them across the line.

Klopp has fallen apart before when he’s lost good players and I think people don’t realise how good Salah actually is.
Even top managers need top players in the team to challenge. Pep is no difference.

OrcaFat

After signing for Liverpool, he scored 32 goals and 10 assists in his first season. His best ever career stats by some distance doubling his return of his best season previous to that. Every year after that he has performed better than he ever did before his Liverpool career. Like I said Salah wasn’t even a guaranteed starter when Klopp signed him. Salah went to world class level under Klopp and became the best player in the premier league for an extended period of time under Klopp’s coaching.

There are many other examples of players excelling massively due to Klopp. Mane, Firmino, wijnaldum, henderson, Fabinho just never get to the level they did under any other manager.
I think your last paragraph is an exaggeration.

The extent of Klopp’s influence is not easy to separate from the other factors that can contribute to players putting in a period (however long) of good performances. Just being in a team that’s functioning properly is a big help and Klopp deserves credit there but there are other effective teams and most of the players would do a good job at any of those clubs.

The only real eyebrow-raiser in all of those is Salah. He really leapt forward when he went to Liverpool. But he was coming into his peak years. I think it was Capello who said he’d noticed that a lot of good strikers over the years hit a groove at 25-27 and suddenly start scoring a lot of goals.

I’m not saying Klopp is nothing. He’s clearly something. But his direct impact on individuals is somewhat intangible. In general I think he is a little overrated but, hey, he’ll probably get the dippers back above us again this year.

mintyred

Klopp definitely had a role in making Salah what he is today. Salah was a Chelsea flop but evolved to become a good Roma player, nothing more. There was no hint in Serie A back then of him becoming the player that he eventually became.
He was tearing up Serie A and was on a shape upward trajectory. it doesn't sound like you're familiar with the situation at all.

Unfollow you’re way off with Salah’s time in italy to the point I’m questioning why you even replied. Salah was in great form before he signed for Liverpool then it continued. It’s not all about goals even the the stats you posted are pretty good. But you were gutted when you googled them.

I didn’t say he didn’timprove salah or other players, so I’m confused as to why you brought that up.
I’m not saying he’s not a good coach but he’s heavily reliant on a star player.

When he lost VVD liver fell off massively and when he lost lewa he eventually got sacked. I have never seen a top manager so heavily affected by losing 1 star player.

mintyred

Even top managers need top players in the team to challenge. Pep is no difference.
I didn’t say they didn’t, I’m confused as to what point you’re trying to make. What I’m saying is Klopp heavily relies on star players to carry him.

He got eventually sackedwith Lewa and when lost VVD Liverpool massively fell off. Hes a top coach but would fall apart without Salah, especially with no replacement.

I think that’s obvious to anyone who been following Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.