Music Mockney's Classical Music Thread

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
anybody up for a bit of the old Poland invading?

decorativeed

What's happened to Waltraute? She's not posted on the caf for over a month. She was pretty prolific in this thread.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
So I can't be arsed to start a new thread, but if you're not familiar with the piano guys stuff then they're worth a listen;

Pretty incredible.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Another good movie one...I notice a lot of trailers have been using this lately. The Artist, the Maggie one, I think Munich used it a while back too. It's originally from The Life of David Gale, which is on some rubbish digital channel atm and reminded me. Often confused for an actual classical piece (like a lot of film scores, though it's inspired by many) it's actually composed by Alex & Jane Parker for the film, but like that famous Clint Mansell one, has transcended it somewhat.

Waltraute

She-Devil
What's happened to Waltraute?
Life happened! But now I'm back.
Cheers for thinking of me! :D

New year -- Onwards and upwards! Trionfo e Gloria! indeed. (Hopefully already tonight. What a dismal New Years eve that was...)

Bach -- Cantata BWV 190 'Singet dem Herr...' EBS & the Monteverdi Choir under Sir John Eliot Gardiner --

Going to listen to your posts as soon as I'm done with my 'Singet dem Herr...' flailing around. (It's often a part of my pre-match ritual, along with Björling's Ingemisco. :))

King_Eric

Great piece Waltraute. For some reason I have discovered Bach only quite late compared to most other great composers. I've been listening to Beethoven, Mozart, Tsjaichovsky, Händel, Wagner etc. since my childhood, but never really got into Bach. Last few years however, I've really started appreciating his work, and especially the cantates, more and more.

This is one of my favorite classical pieces:

Favorite piece of all time will always be Mozart's Requiem though.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Thanks, but I meant specific productions that qualify for your stamp of approval.
:lol:
I'll get back to you with some recommendations, but I'm too giddy for the game right now. Watching games on TV makes me so nervous -- and they never start because there's nothing to do before the game. (My brain: Is it now? No. Is it now? No. Is it now? No. -- ad infinitum) I'm even lolling at Nani's
anybody up for a bit of the old Poland invading?
:p

And cheers for your kind words, King_Eric. :)
Here's Nilsson's absolutely immense '65 Salome --

Waltraute

She-Devil
O! Caftards rejoice! :D

I'm just so incredibly happy someone uploaded this performance to Youtube. It's something I've always wanted to share, but I'm too lazy for words when it comes to uploading stuff.

It's Hotter under Celibidache in that unbelievable '57 performance of Brahms' Ein deutsches Requiem. [Kölner Rundfunk Sinfonie Orchester und Chor -- and they're absolutely marvellous!]

This could make me launch into RAWKesque purple prose, so I'll just say 'You HAVE TO listen to this!' Especially you film music lot have to listen to 'Denn wir haben...' -- this is epic epic, not a whiff of papier-mâché-and-strings to be detected.

'Herr, lehre doch mich'

'Denn wir haben...'

Waltraute

She-Devil
Trying to lure the film lot with some Bergman --

Birgit Nordin singing Der Hölle Rache in Swedish (Mitt krav på hämnd) from Bergman's Zauberflöte film, Trollflöjten.

Even though it's hardly the most technically accomplished performance recorded, I love how Nordin under Bergman's direction managed to emphasise the pure chilling horror of this aria, often just regarded as a virtuoso piece.
It's really spinechilling stuff -- threatening your daughter than you'll disown her and condemn her forever if she doesn't kill your enemy.
Pure hate in coloratura form.

[When I was 5 and watched this for the first time I imagined poor Pamina as City and The Queen of the Night as United. :lol: Maybe I can be excused when you know that my first United memory was our relegation.]

ETA: Just discovered that this is one of those 'anti-embedding' vids. (Why do people do that? Utterly pointless and silly.) Just click twice and launch a separate window, it's worth it.

Waltraute

She-Devil
And just before going to bed (because that's when these things come to you) I remembered I promised pillory I'd recommend DVDs -- I'm incredibly sorry, but that Newcastle game just drove it right out of my head.

Well, off the top of my head, you should watch the Abbado/Ponnelle Barbiere film with Berganza and Prey. More to come tomorrow, but here's Berganza's brilliant Una voce poco fa --

ETA: I've probably already posted this, but I'm sure there are new 'tards who need to hear it. We all need to hear it, every day. Hotter's '54 Amfortas' monologue under Knappertsbusch. Legend doesn't even begin to cover it.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
happy birthday to the amazing Felix Mendelssohn

LoveInTheAsylum

Have been listening to a lot of Myaskovsky recently:

Would love to play in this quartet but at the moment I'm missing the dress.

pastrychef1985's channel is one of the wonders of the world. I can't find any other version of the 6th as unfortunately the recording which is uploaded misses out the chorus in the final movement. Here's the amazing third movement:

Waltraute

She-Devil
Ortrud & Elsa from the second act of Lohengrin; Varnay and Nilsson under Jochum --

Probably one of the saddest pieces of music I know. Elsa's naïvete slays me every single time.

ETA: More Lohengrin; the greatest version ever of In Fernem Land by Björling (in Swedish) --

ETA2: Ludwig's absolutely immense Fahr heim! --

Waltraute

She-Devil
It will always comfort me, always. Even after Monday.

This version especially, since it was so soon after my father's funeral. Miah Persson under Sir John Eliot Gardiner; Et Incarnatus Est; Mozart's Mass in C minor --

ETA; And my favourite Et Incarnatus Est. I know I've posted it before, but I think you need to hear it again :) --

pillory

Does anyone recognize this piano motif? I heard it in a classical sounding piano piece the other day, but I have no idea what the piece was.

LoveInTheAsylum

I haven't heard it before, sorry.

From what else has been posted, I really struggle with opera but part of me would love to see a live performance one day. I actually had to watch that film adaptation of Don Giovanni last year, Vienna as a setting for anything sounds fantastic and as if it trumps it by some way.

You certainly love your German opera, Waltraute (well duh I guess)! I mean I love the music for Lohengrin but (blasphemy), opera vocals are so often off-putting for me. It's no time to properly dissect why, so I'll just say that the Prelude is therefore obviously perfection(!) and that Fahr heim is incredible.

I also don't love Bartók from the little I know (even that sounds more grand than it actually is, it's safe to assume that what I 'know' is only the really obvious pieces, in this case Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta & Concerto for Orchestra). I really liked Door 7 though. Thanks for posting.

Smetana - Ma Vlast: Vltava (Moldau)
Will edit in more of what I've been listening to (which has no doubt been posted many times before) before I disappear for a while. I wanted to post the Brodsky Quartet's Elegie which cropped up again in a film I watched recently on the other Brodsky, but I can't find it on the net.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I haven't heard it before, sorry.

From what else has been posted, I really struggle with opera but part of me would love to see a live performance one day. I actually had to watch that film adaptation of Don Giovanni last year, Vienna as a setting for anything sounds fantastic and as if it trumps it by some way.
I used to have a similar aversion to Opera but that all changed when my then girlfriend insisted I take her to see La Traviata at the R.O.H. , in my experience you have to drink it in live in order for it to get under your skin. As I've said Don Giovanni in Vienna was probably the most worthwhile evening of my life.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Best Verwandlungsmusik ever -- Knappertsbusch, Bayreuth '64. Hotter as Gurnemanz, Vickers as Parsifal.

ETA:

--Ich schreite kaum, doch wähn' ich mich schon weit!
-- Du siehst, mein Sohn,
zum Raum wird hier die Zeit!

Waltraute

She-Devil
Couldn't find any Hotter Nebensonnen on Youtube, so here is Greindl/Klust --

And I agree with the uploader's comment -- 'The grimmest Winterreise ever recorded' -- so in a way it's better than Hotter regarding capturing my current mood.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I couldn't find this on youtube with Fleming singing but this is a decent version of one of my very favourite arias; it always makes me feel better about the world and I haven't the foggiest what she is singing about!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I was just listening to Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis in the ant infested courtyard I pretend is my garden, and the sun broke through the clouds just as the strings began to swell on the main motif. It was beautiful. I could've wept. But I didn't though, cos that would've been well gay init.

Waltraute

She-Devil
One of my favourite recordings of all time.

ETA: And I've probably posted this 3 times before, but it's something everyone have to listen to/watch at least once in their lives, so I feel justified... ;)