Modern Draft Semifinals: Moby Vs. Enigma/TRV

Who will win this match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
This is what the opposition cannot handle!

With a crazy amount of craft, graft, energy and creativity behind them, and each of them in their absolute peak incarnation occupying the most critical area of the pitch, there is no way the opposition manager can address how to handle this unstoppable proposition!

Mbappe's pace and acceleration directly against Hummels often isolating him with Rooney and Griezmann in support will be an absolute weapon that will cause enough damage to their team.

Rooney against Gimenez on the other side is a massive mismatch in terms of quality, experience, body of work and peak match winning ability. This is the physical prime of Wayne Rooney, a hungry, inspirational juggernaut of a player.

With those two terrorising the defense, Griezmann will be finding tremendous amount of space and freedom to absolutely run the show and elevate the entire attack like he did in the 2018 WC. Apart from his individual brilliance that can turn the game around in an instant.

There is no way that attack is stopped here, and it's going to win the game for me more often that not!

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
He has stats that outnumber your premier ball winner in midfield globally known for his defensive prowess, so how can you question his defensive ability?
Come on mate. Sanchez's stats average 1 tackle and 1 interceptions per game:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25244/History/Alexis-Sánchez

What does that really tell us?

I'll be glad to be proven otherwise but to me Saul hasn't played as an anchor before for Atletico or in such defensive role.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Hello. Good Luck, @Moby .

I really liked your team from the previous round but this system? I mean, sure, in a vacuum, this system can work well. But against us, it plays right into our hands as you more or less expose your weakest links ie your full-backs in Zabaleta and Asamoah against our best players in Hazard and Alexis. Asamoah is nowhere close to being good enough to be a starter at this stage of the tournament. And Hazard has absolutely annihilated Zabaleta regularly. Di Maria could help Asamoah out but in doing so, you kinda expose further gaps in midfield which the likes of Kroos and James would absolutely exploit.

And Saul as a holding midfielder? Thats a recipe for DISASTER. His entire career he has played alongside a Defensive Midfielder/Holding Midfielder. It used to be Gabi and now it has been Partey/Rodri, who usually play as the holding midfielder in front of the defense. How many games has Saul started as the holding midfielder without someone like Gabi/Partey/Rodri? Having Saul as a holding midfielder means James would have a field day. And, it doesn't matter how many stats you show, they don't tell the entire story. For instance, they don't tell where he was playing when he won those tackles. I mean take a look at this.

Squawka stats show that Karius is a better goalkeeper than Ter Stegen lmao.

Thats why you can't derive much from the stats.

Lewa flopped big time against Madrid last year missing sitter after sitter, imo he's a flat track bully and he's not really any better than Higuain.
C'mon. You can't be serious. Last season in UCL, he struggled but it was down to fatigue more than anything. It showed in the world cup as well. Saying Lewandowski is a flat track bully is ridiculous.

12 Goals + 2 Assists in 15 games against Borussia Dortmund.
6 Goals + 1 Assist in 8 games against Real Madrid.
5 Goals in 12 starts against Bayern Munich.
4 Goals + 4 Assists in 8 games against Arsenal.
2 Goals in 4 games against Atletico Madrid.
1 Goal in 2 games against Barcelona.
1 Goal in 2 starts against PSG.
1 Goal + 1 Assists in 2 games against Juventus.

Yeah, you can say the sample size isn't a lot but what it shows is he has scored goals. Against the top teams like Real Madrid, Dortmund, Munich etc. And against the defensive organized juggernauts like Atletico Madrid and Juventus. And, honestly, these are just the goals. Lewandowski's game is so much more than that as his hold-up play is one of the best aspects of his game and with Hazard, James and Alexis alongside him, we would maximize that aspect of his game.

Anyway, before I go, I just want to say this.

In terms of balance, we have a far more balanced XI. And, we have the advantage in terms of quality as well.

Varane aside no one in Moby's defense is better than their respective counterpart. Carvajal is better than Zabaleta. Sandro is much better than Asamoah. And, as much as I love VVD, he isn't better than Hummels yet in terms of achievements as well as consistency. We have a FAR superior midfield. In attack, its close but I am willing to accept that Moby has an edge in attack. Having said that, I would argue our attack is more balanced and complete than Moby's. Moby has got Rooney and Griezmann. Two players who like to more or less operate in the same zones and there would be times when they would step on each other's toes. Anyway, I am willing to accept Moby has an edge over us in attack but other than that, we are better than him in all other areas of the pitch. That should be enough for us to win imo.

Enigma_87

You know who
Difference is Messi and Ronaldo have done it in finals and led their teams to the CL. Apart for his 5 goals against Madrid i can't remember many memorable goals he's scored in big games. Filling your boots in Germany for the two strongest teams and winning domestic titles isn't really a major feat. He's a good striker nothing special.
A good piece on him:

Robert Lewandowski: Is the Poland striker the best in the world?
By Martin Laurence, WhoScored.com
Last Updated: 08/10/15 7:52am

Robert Lewandowski is in remarkable form for club and country this season
WhoScored check the stats to work out whether Robert Lewandowski is the best in the business...

The debate as to the best player in the world is generally a two-horse race. Messi and Ronaldo fans will argue until the cows come home as to which player is greater, but while both are forwards, neither really fall under the category of an out-and-out striker.

The question as to the world's best in that regard is far less straightforward, or at least has been in recent years. Among those tipped as the top striker in football since the turn of the century have been the likes of Fernando Torres and Radamel Falcao, whose struggles since gaining such adulation have been well documented.

WhoScored game-by-game ratings for Lewandowski in 2015/16
More recently names such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sergio Aguero, Luis Suarez, Karim Benzema and Edinson Cavani have been uttered when debating football's top No 9, though one player may just be distancing himself from the pack at present. The recent sparkling run of Robert Lewandowski has rightly been lauded, and the Bayern forward enters the international break with Poland in the form of his life, with WhoScored.com analysing whether he should now be considered the best striker in world football.

It seems a tough argument to make on a weekend when arguably his closest challenger at present - Sergio Aguero - netted five times at the weekend, but anything the Argentine could do in 20 minutes against lowly Newcastle Lewandowski could do in nine against Bundesliga runners-up Wolfsburg.

It was that performance - which understandably earned Lewandowski a perfect man of the match rating of 10 from WhoScored despite the fact he was only introduced at half-time - that sparked this remarkable run from the 27-year old. However, to suggest that his current purple patch is a flash in the pan is - unlike the Pole's finishing - wide of the mark.

Watch Lewandowski put Poland 3-0 up against Gibraltar with a sweet strike
In 11 competitive appearances for club and country since the start of the 2015/16 season in Germany, Lewandowski has scored 18 goals. His tally of 12 in the Bundesliga is two clear of any other player in Europe's top-five leagues, despite the fact that of the 12 players to score more than five times this season only Karim Benzema has played fewer minutes than the Bayern man (518).

His current strike rate has seen him net marginally over once a half in Germany's top-flight on average this season. Whilst that is, of course, unsustainable, the Polish international shows no sign of letting up anytime soon in Pep Guardiola's current set-up.

Lewandowski's goalscoring record for Bayern Munich and Poland
Due to ongoing injury woes for the likes of Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery, the Bayern boss has been forced into a tactical rethink, and it's one that without question is paying dividends for his star striker. The summer signings of Douglas Costa and Kingsley Coman have offered the side more natural width, with the 'Robbery' partnership often preferring to cut inside and chance their arm themselves. Costa in particular has flourished and his unselfish wing play has heralded five assists as Bayern attempt to get more deliveries into their fearsome front man.

Meanwhile, with 10 goals in Euro 2016 qualifying heading into Poland's crucial double-header against Ireland and Scotland, Lewandowski is the top scorer in the campaign despite playing in the fabled 'group of death' alongside Germany. He was recently named as WhoScored.com's top rated player for the month of September in their free monthly round-up magazine, and unsurprisingly so with a score of 8.99.

On current form both for club and country then, there can be little debate that the former Dortmund forward is the best in his position at present, but how do his stats compare over a larger sample size?

Given that last season, his first at the Allianz, was the first in four years that he failed to score 20 league goals - managing a far from irrelevant 17 - his current performances are certainly no fluke. Indeed, since the beginning of the 2011/12 season, when he became a first team regular at Dortmund, only Messi, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic have scored more goals in Europe's top five leagues than Lewandowski (95). Given that the Swede has played all but one of those seasons in what most would consider an inferior French league the Pole's return is arguably just as impressive as Ibrahimovic's 107.

Lewandowski fired a hat-trick inside four minutes as Poland beat Georgia
Moreover, of the 10 players to score at least 70 league goals over the past five seasons Lewandowski ranks second to Messi (22.8%) in terms of conversion rate (20%) and leads the way for shot accuracy - 49.5% this time just getting the better of the Argentine (48.8%). He is undoubtedly among the most unerring finishers on the continent, and has been for some time.

When considering the true centre-forwards of Europe's elite few can match the Bayern man in terms of the variety of goals that he scores either. Of his 103 Bundesliga goals in total - the Pole recently reached a century faster than any other foreign player in Germany's top-flight - 15 have been headers while 18 have come with his weaker left foot. Meanwhile, his ability to bring the ball down under pressure in the box and agility to spin and fire off a shot at goal is perhaps unrivalled.

At 27, it is reasonable to suggest that Lewandowski is hitting his peak and his form certainly suggests as much. A WhoScored.com rating of 8.21 in the Bundesliga this season is the highest of the Polish striker's career. However, having not dropped below a score of 7.40 in either the league or Champions League in five years, Lewandowski's incredible run of form may be temporary but his class is far from it.

Moby

Dick
Squawka stats show that Karius is a better goalkeeper than Ter Stegen lmao.
You have actually taken the 7 game sample size for MaTS there. :lol:

Not to mention, that's another strawman arguement from your side as I've never used the stats literally, it was to highlight Saul's defensive game and there are numerous reports that mention exactly what the stats portray there.

Completely disagree if you think Saul in a massively hard working hound mentality unit like that will be another apart from a happy camper and would absolutely relish the entire battle. And lastly, he is up against the worst attacking player on the pitch and one I am least worried about.

Enigma_87

You know who
And of course part of the video battle : :lol:

the amount of dribbling ability and pure creativity between them :drool:

And the perfect striker to cap it all off.

a performance that gave him a perfect 10 for just 45 mins. And it's not even a compilation. Something that left Pep in disbelief.

Enigma_87

You know who
You have actually taken the 7 game sample size for MaTS there. :lol:

Not to mention, that's another strawman arguement from your side as I've never used the stats literally, it was to highlight Saul's defensive game and there are numerous reports that mention exactly what the stats portray there.

Completely disagree if you think Saul in a massively hard working hound mentality unit like that will be another apart from a happy camper and would absolutely relish the entire battle. And lastly, he is up against the worst attacking player on the pitch and one I am least worried about.
Saul's defensive game is a lot dependent on Atletico's style and the way how they defend as a team, something I might repeat myself with. Compare Gimenez's stats to Varane's and you can easily see the pattern.

Both Kante and Saul are contemporary players and I think most of the voters know them inside and out even without the stats :)

Moby

Dick
Saul's defensive game is a lot dependent on Atletico's style and the way how they defend as a team
Which is awesome as I have no shortage of players who would fit that team like a glove. :drool:

Both Kante and Saul are contemporary players and I think most of the voters know them inside and out even without the stats :)
You still don't understand that I was using Kante as the gold standard benchmark for defensive midfielders and bringing his own defensive game into perspective which no doubt is top notch and has been a massive part of Simeone's setup for a while now.

Enigma_87

You know who
You still don't understand that I was using Kante as the gold standard benchmark for defensive midfielders and bringing his own defensive game into perspective which no doubt is top notch and has been a massive part of Simeone's setup for a while now.
But they don't even have the same role for their respective teams?

This is analysis of Kante's defensive game. It's not only purely down to stats with him.

There's much more to his game in the way he does it in the defensive phase not just tackles and interceptions.

Enigma_87

You know who
Where have I said they did?

As does Saul and most other good defensive midfielders.
Erm Saul is not a DM. He hasn't played as such for Atletico in the way you are playing him. That's my point.

Having him winning tackles and interceptions in a side that defends deep doesn't mean he'll make it as a top anchor. Even Alexis averages a tackle and interception per game, that doesn't mean he'll make it as a good DM either.

Has Saul has ever played as a DM or in a role similar to the one he is playing here?

Moby

Dick
Here is Hummels around his prime for Dortmund and Germany in a massive game of his career, and is guilty for turning like a tank and being at fault for the first goal.

Imagine what an electric pacy player like Mbappe would do to him who can twist and turn his defenders all day would do to him?!

Enigma_87

You know who
I'll be off for some time, just to recap some of our main strengths and main points. I think we've discussed it quite a bit so we should leave the voters to decide for themselves:

- We have the advantage on both wings - Hazard/Sandro will punish Zabaleta when he's isolated and he doesn't have that much support from midfield, considering how engaged it will be battling it out with Kroos and Kante. Same goes for the other flank Carvajal and Sanchez will overload the right flank and gain advantage on Asamoah who is mainly an attacking minded full back or even midfielder/wingback in most of his career.
- Advantage in midfield - with Kroos and Kante is a perfect mix of defensive solidity, creativity and ability to mix it up. Our midfield is certainly better than the opposition and we would also have the advantage there, especially with the help of Sanchez and Hazard work rate off the ball, something they are pretty much known for.
- Lewandowski as a CF - Lewa is the most accomplished finisher on the pitch netting close to 400 goals for club and country. With all that service he's bound to get on the scoresheet.

Moby

Dick
Not to mention, we cannot agree with chemistry in two of my three superstar attackers! Mbappe and Griezmann combined together in a Pelé-Garrincha style one-two punch at the World Cup earlier this year and both emerged with massive performances in the tournament. I'd have that as one more advantage over the opposition weakness in defense and make our attack even more effective.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeahhhh, I have already replied to this 2 times. The referenced articles are in the OP!!!
Erm, those aren't actual match reports, it says that hes versatile, best as box to box and could play anywhere that doesn't really imply playing as a holder for Atletico does it?

Indnyc

Voted for @Moby as i slightly prefer his attacking unit.. Will continue to follow discussions and am open to change vote based on arguments

Enigma_87

You know who
Voted for @Moby as i slightly prefer his attacking unit.. Will continue to follow discussions and am open to change vote based on arguments
What's your take on the flanks mate. Seeing the score that is completely overlooked. It seems that Asamoah and Zabaleta much on their own are able to contain Hazard and Sanchez which IMO is far from what would really happen...

Moby

Dick
On consistent basis? Against which sides? Can you give an example please?
He's not played in one position consistently in his Atleti career. He's been utilised as per the team's requirements and has delivered really well in all phases, given he excels in both on the ball and off the ball skills.

You've ignored stats and reports so far, maybe video evidence will suffice?

Plenty of tackles in there where he is the deepest midfielder, right in the front his defense and tasked with winning the ball back.

In this game, I need him to completely harass James, something that can be achieved here and most importantly provide his defensive presence and closing down or pressing where the action is taking place.

He has an elite all action central midfielder in Verratti with him who can easily cover for him dropping deeper when needed, same is in the OP if you'd read it. If I was against a stronger central attacking midfield threat, I'd have positioned Verratti deeper, but here, his ability in defense is more than enough in taking care of the threat.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's not played in one position consistently in his Atleti career. He's been utilised as per the team's requirements and has delivered really well in all phases, given he excels in both on the ball and off the ball skills.

You've ignored stats and reports so far, maybe video evidence will suffice?

Plenty of tackles in there where he is the deepest midfielder, right in the front his defense and tasked with winning the ball back.

In this game, I need him to completely harass James, something that can be achieved here and most importantly provide his defensive presence and closing down or pressing where the action is taking place.

He has an elite all action central midfielder in Verratti with him who can easily cover for him dropping deeper when needed, same is in the OP if you'd read it. If I was against a stronger central attacking midfield threat, I'd have positioned Verratti deeper, but here, his ability in defense is more than enough in taking care of the threat.

Taken right from your reports:

At 21, he no doubt still has a little physical growth left in him, but Saul is already powerfully built, has good acceleration and can run for days—he regularly tops the distance-covered charts in matches, including the Madrid derby last term (via Marca), covering more than 13 kilometres in the 90 minutes.

When paired with Gabi in a two, or else used as one of the No. 8s in a three-man midfield with Gabi or Augusto Fernandez at the base, Saul's physical prowess comes to the fore.
What are Saúl’s main weaknesses?
In truth, despite that fact that, frighteningly, he is still getting better, Saúl has no obvious weaknesses. It could be deemed somewhat of a weakness that there is still some debate over his optimum position, and he may be in danger of becoming a Jack of all trades and master of none unless he settles into a single role over the next two or three years.

But the six-cap Spain international should hardly be criticised for the fact that he is so good in a multitude of positions.

If there is one aspect of his game that could do with further refinement, it is his tackling. By and large a fine ball-winner, Saúl occasionally goes to ground unnecessarily when attempting a tackle, leaving himself liable to being beaten by an astute dribbler and taken out of the game.
And he's up against James, Hazard and Sanchez - all top dribblers in todays game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Furthermore from
@Moby 's reports on Saul and his approach on possession game:

Saúl’s raw stats don’t leap out as being especially impressive, with a respectable yet not particularly high number of passes per game and pass accuracy, as shown in the above graphic for the 2016/17 La Liga season.

But this can largely be explained by the style of play espoused by Simone’s men, with defensive rigidity prioritised and Atleti often happy to cede possession for large chunks of games and play on the counter, especially against high-calibre opposition.
Roaming from wide

Atletico play a 4-4-2 with frequency, but it's nothing like a winger-heavy, play-it-wide-and-cross approach that the system is still associated with.

Inverted wide midfielders sees Saul and Koke as two of the most frequent starters: Saul right side, Koke left, both sitting narrow in the channels rather than the wings and looking to squeeze out space in the centre, forcing opponents backward or sideways.

Moby

Dick
And he's up against James, Hazard and Sanchez - all top dribblers in todays game.
Why don't you put your entire team against him 11v1? :lol: After tons of posts of Hazard and Sanchez vs Zabaleta and Asamoah its now him facing all three? :D

I trust his overall defensive ability, backed by stats, reports and video evidence, in this game and it will provide a telling stop against a player like James. He's not a headless chicken who will get burnt by dribbles. Rather well headed, mature and calm even when he's closing down and an expert in picking the pocket. Given he's facing an attacker that sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of the names, he's fine in this game.

Much better than '180 degrees turn in 5 seconds' Mats Hummels having to catch his breath against an onrushing Kylian Mbappe while the overwhelmed Gimenez steps out to cover him only to see Rooney and Griezmann sprint behind his back!

Enigma_87

You know who
Why don't you put your entire team against him 11v1? :lol: After tons of posts of Hazard and Sanchez vs Zabaleta and Asamoah its now him facing all three? :D

I trust his overall defensive ability, backed by stats, reports and video evidence, in this game and it will provide a telling stop against a player like James. He's not a headless chicken who will get burnt by dribbles. Rather well headed, mature and calm even when he's closing down and an expert in picking the pocket. Given he's facing an attacker that sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of the names, he's fine in this game.

Much better than '180 degrees turn in 5 seconds' Mats Hummels having to catch his breath against an onrushing Kylian Mbappe while the overwhelmed Gimenez steps out to cover him only to see Rooney and Griezmann sprint behind his back!
Now hold on a minute mate. In your reports it says that he either plays as an 8, a wide midfielder tucking in and his biggest weakness being rash into tackle. You still are maintaining that idea that he's a top class DM at 23?

I think @2mufc0 also addressed that in your game that he's not a DM. Being able to play there and even from your reports saying that this is not his optimal style and role and yet he'll easily pocket a top class dribbler in James?

Enigma_87

You know who
again from your report @Moby

Indeed, when Saul doesn't have the ball, he still looks to move along the channel, picking spaces between the lines to take possession in or else, if play develops on the opposite flank, surging forward to attack the far post and run beyond the striker if necessary.
He gets into tremendous goalscoring positions on account of his willingness to break so far upfield, and Atletico have already benefited from it on plenty of occasions. It's no coincidence he was the highest-scoring midfielder in the squad, hitting nine over the season.
And even this has him in the formation from your report:

so again how he's supposed to be a great DM since he never played there or anything close at his best to that role for Atletico?

I mean even from your reports it says the same?

Enigma_87

You know who
He's a top class midfielder in his age class, period. The fact that he has maintained a very high floor level at all positions is a demonstration of that.
Erm he never played as a DM for Atletico mate on consistent basis, even like 2 games in a row. He's your holder here and you are selling him as a great DM because he can play there?

You said that it's all in your OP and the reports there. I've just copy pasted the parts where it concerns that aspects of his game and this is something that is deemed as a weakness of his game.

Being able to fill in doesn't really make him perfect at this level. Especially when he's 23 and still not reached his peak or even having an optimal position where you can pin him that he'll make his own.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
With all the talk of the midfield battle, here's an old bit about the Passer Perfectionist of this unit, the cerebral metronome and one who can bring it together like few others.

Meet the new Pirlo looking to shatter England's World Cup dream

Five years ago, an earthquake devastated the Italian town of Aquila and the Abruzzo region. It hit 5.3 on the Richter scale and claimed the lives of 309 people, making it the deadliest to strike the country since the Iripina earthquake of 1980. Marco Verratti was in bed at the family home in Manoppello when everything around him began to shake in the early hours of that fateful April morning. “It was an awful feeling,” he recalled.

There had been what seismologists call foreshocks in the months beforehand. Many aftershocks would follow. The whole experience left Verratti traumatised. “We slept in the car for two weeks. I even stopped playing football.”

He was 16 at the time, still only a boy but no ordinary one. Unlike his fellow villagers, who used to make the half-hour drive to watch Pescara at the Stadio Adriatico every other Sunday, Verratti was already playing for their first team and had been doing so in Italy’s third division for almost nine months.

“He has always been what we call a predestinato,” Pescara’s academy director Antonio Di Battista explained, “a talent visible from a very young age.” Atalanta had wanted Verratti to join their famous youth setup a few years earlier. Inter had too. But for €5,000, he was Pescara’s. They threw in a few balls, but the deal breaker was 10 tickets to watch them play Juventus, who had been relegated to Serie B after the Calciopoli scandal. Verratti’s mother and brother are fans of the Old Lady. He was too. “[Alessandro] Del Piero was my idol as a kid. I had a poster of him in my room.”

Signing Verratti was one thing for Pescara. Keeping hold of him another, even at that age. Directors from AC Milan famously barged down the door to the away dressing room at Milanello with a contract drawn up ready to sign and a cheque for €300,000 made out to his club following a jaw-dropping display of his against their under-16s. They asked Verratti to stay the night and do a medical the next morning.

'The new Pirlo'

Given the chance, most kids would simply have asked: “Where do I sign?” Verratti didn’t. He burst into tears. He wanted to go home to Pescara; he wasn’t ready to leave his family and preferred Manoppello to Milanello. Watching him step back onto Pescara’s bus, the Milan officials must have let out loud sighs of regret. “Ah well, there he goes, the next Andrea Pirlo. We had his successor right under our noses. Damn.”

Pirlo is the player to whom Verratti has most been compared. Like Italy’s venerable playmaker, the youngster started out as a No.10 playing behind the strikers. That is, before one of his coaches had the intuition to instead use him in front of the defence as a deep-lying playmaker or regista, the director of his team’s play.

In Pirlo’s case it was Carlo Mazzone at Brescia, a change of position consolidated at Milan under Carlo Ancelotti. In Verratti’s, it was Eusebio Di Francesco, also a former Roma midfielder like Ancelotti, and Zdenek Zeman, a former Roma coach like Mazzone.

Credit to them for seeing it so early. Made a regular by Di Francesco upon Pescara’s promotion to Serie B, Verratti began to run the show for his team. With Zeman, it was box office. Pescara played the best football in Italy. They beat Vicenza 6-0 at home and Padova 6-0 away. They scored 90 goals and returned to the top flight for the first time in nearly two decades.

Over the course of that season at the Stadio Adriatico some of Italy’s most exciting youngsters came to light: Lorenzo Insigne, Ciro Immobile and of course Verratti himself, the Gufetto or Little Owl, nicknamed for his big eyes, all the better to see the play with. His head seemed to swivel like an owl’s, too, so good did his peripheral vision reveal itself to be.

Zeman wished to take Verratti with him to Roma. Napoli hoped he’d follow Insigne back to the San Paolo now that his loan was up. But Juventus, the club he supported as a boy, appeared to be in his destiny. Pirlo was now in Turin and, as he approached his mid-thirties, the club’s succession planning had Verratti top of the list as the heir apparent. What they hadn’t reckoned on was the interest of Paris Saint-Germain.

Since becoming the French club’s general manager a year earlier, Leonardo, the former Milan midfielder and director, displayed a liking for shopping in Italy. It was the market he knew best after all. Between his appointment in the summer of 2011 and his departure two years later, he spent £232 million there. No one could compete with PSG, and when Leo made a bid for Verratti, Juventus knew this was an auction they couldn’t win. They signed Paul Pogba for free instead.

Italy coach, Cesare Prandelli, who had called Verratti up to his preliminary squad ahead of Euro 2012, was disillusioned. “I find it scandalous that a player like Verratti who we have seen in Italy, who we know well, has ended up abroad, that we have let him go,” he lamented. “I repeat: scandalous.”

"Er... who are you?"

If the signing caused a stir in Italy, it didn’t in France. Unlike PSG’s other signings that summer – Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva and Ezequiel Lavezzi – the young Italian was an unknown. “And who are you, Marco Verratti?” asked L’Équipe. He was not a ‘Galactique’. He’d never played in Serie A. He’d never played for Italy. How did he fit in with their strategy?

Well, shortly after the Qatar Sports Investment fund bought PSG, the president they appointed to run the club, Nasser al-Khelaïfi, explained it thus: “We are not trying to recruit Lionel Messi, but we want to invest in the greatest talents of tomorrow,” he said. “We want the new Messi.” And the new Pirlo [Verratti, now 21]. And the new Thiago Silva [Marquinhos, 19]. And the new Bixente Lizarazu [Lucas Digne, 20]. That’s how it has played out.

But let’s flash back to the day Verratti was unveiled underneath the Eiffel Tower. A crowd had gathered but they hadn’t come to see him, they were there for Ibra. Little and large. Intimidated Verratti most certainly wasn’t. Ibra would take him under his wing. An unforgiving type, who’ll scowl if you don’t give him the right pass, his respect has to be earned. Verratti soon had it. “Everyone knows how talented Marco is,” Ibra said. “He has extraordinary potential.”

Mature beyond his years on his debut away to Lille, he chipped Javier Pastore through for the opener on his first league appearance at the Parc des Princes and started the move for the winner in a 2-0 win against Toulouse. Substituted in the final 10 minutes he received a standing ovation.

Verratti’s reward was a Champions League debut at home to Dynamo Kyiv and there’s an iconic image from it of him leaping onto Ibra’s back after the Swede scored a penalty. He looked like Napoleon preparing to cross the Alps, his horse rearing up, in Jacques-Louis David’s famous painting. Verratti had conquered his teammates and the fans.

Winning people over

It helped that he had a coach like Ancelotti and several other Italian speakers in the dressing room to ease his adaptation. It helped that Ancelotti understood from his experience of Pirlo what kind of player Verratti is.

He kept the faith even when his protege sometimes frustrated by holding on to the ball too long on the edge of his area only to get rushed by an opponent and lose it in a dangerous position. You see ‘Marcolino’ likes to take risks. He enjoys the thrill of inviting pressure and then taking a series of players out of the game with a killer pass.

That attribute complements the powerful running of Blaise Matuidi and the organisation provided by Thiago Motta. PSG’s is one of Europe’s most balanced midfield trios, bettered only by Barcelona’s Xavi, Busquets and Andres Iniesta and Juventus’s Pirlo, Pogba and Arturo Vidal. It – and Ibra, in addition of course to the club’s spending power – was one of the principal reasons why they won the league for the first time in nearly two decades in Verratti’s first season.

At the end of it, he went to the Under-21 European Championship in Israel with Italy and pulled the strings as his country reached the final only to lose to Spain like the senior team had done a year earlier. There were reports that Ancelotti wanted to take Verratti with him to Real Madrid. A pay rise put an end to the speculation about his future, though it remains much gossiped about.

When new coach Laurent Blanc pushed PSG to sign Yohan Cabaye from Newcastle over the winter it created the impression that Verratti’s place in the side might be under threat. A feisty character, often in referees’ ears, protesting their decisions, he was getting too many cards for Blanc’s liking. So far though, Verratti has kept the France international out. He’s going nowhere.

Linked again with Juventus in the papers as a possible bargaining chip in PSG’s efforts to sign Pogba this summer, Verratti said: “When I was a kid, I loved them. But today I am happy here. PSG’s project figures among the best in the world. If I were to leave for Juventus now, I would be making a step back. In Paris we have the possibility to win everything in the next few years.”

Right now, his focus is on doing just that and going to the World Cup in Brazil. Unlikely to start, Verratti has said: “For me being an alternative to [Pirlo] isn’t a limitation but an honor, I include him among the best three midfielders in the world in that role.” Should the great man retire from international football after the tournament, Italy won’t have to worry about sourcing a replacement. They’ve found him already. The ‘little prince’ Marco Verratti will soon be king.

Last edited:

Indnyc

What's your take on the flanks mate. Seeing the score that is completely overlooked. It seems that Asamoah and Zabaleta much on their own are able to contain Hazard and Sanchez which IMO is far from what would really happen...
I would think Verratti and ADM would contribute in the defensive phase.. I do see Hazard having a good game against Zabaleta though..

Enigma_87

You know who
I would think Verratti and ADM would contribute in the defensive phase.. I do see Hazard having a good game against Zabaleta though..
It's also Saul as a holder as a big issue tho. Even from Moby's reports he isn't really suited to that role and is one of the main weaknesses of him - lashing into challenges and leaving space behind.

I do feel Moby will have much more issues containing both the flanks and centrally fielding a young player in unfamiliar role.

Moby

Dick
I do feel Moby will have much more issues containing both the flanks and centrally fielding a young player in unfamiliar role.
The biggest mismatch on the pitch still remains a slow and light defender in Hummels up against the freight train that is Kylian Mbappé with a young Gimenez overwhelmed in the company and up against the incredible force of prime Wayne Rooney with Antoine Griezmann pulling the strings for both and Verratti playing those delicious lobs over their shoulders.

There's nothing but carnage in that setting. No way out whatsoever.

Enigma_87

You know who
The biggest mismatch on the pitch still remains a slow and light defender in Hummels up against the freight train that is Kylian Mbappé with a young Gimenez overwhelmed in the company and up against the incredible force of prime Wayne Rooney with Antoine Griezmann pulling the strings for both and Verratti playing those delicious lobs over their shoulders.

There's nothing but carnage in that setting. No way out whatsoever.
Nope. The biggest mismatches are Hazard vs Zabaleta, Sanchez vs Asamoah (who is more of a midfielder btw) and James on Saul who never played as a DM on consistent basis and even from your reports has a big weakness in his game being rash into challenge.

Hummels is still one of the best defender of its generation and as it stands we have both advantage on the flanks and in the middle.

I take it that you conceded Saul is not fit for this role?

Moby

Dick
Hummels is still one of the best defender of its generation and as it stands we have both advantage on the flanks and in the middle.
He was called as more error prone than Dejan Lovren by Klopp, who managed him at his peak. Have posted a video above showing his slowness against a standard turn, someone like Mbappe would crucify him.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/jurgen-klopp-insists-hummels-was-more-error-prone-than-liverpool-star

I take it that you conceded Saul is not fit for this role?
Nope. Have you conceded that Gimenez is not fit to handle prime Wayne Rooney by himself and Hummels cannot handle Mbappé's pace 1v1 with his covering defender preoccupied?

Enigma_87

You know who
He was called as more error prone than Dejan Lovren by Klopp, who managed him at his peak. Have posted a video above showing his slowness against a standard turn, someone like Mbappe would crucify him.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/jurgen-klopp-insists-hummels-was-more-error-prone-than-liverpool-star

Nope. Have you conceded that Gimenez is not fit to handle prime Wayne Rooney by himself and Hummels cannot handle Mbappé's pace 1v1 with his covering defender preoccupied?
Don't see any relevance. Hummels is CB by trade and top class one to boot. Saul on the other hand is not a DM and clearly not in his best position. Even from the reports you have posted it's easily seen.

We have a great shield by Kante and two top class full backs. You have average full backs and a DM who isn't really DM. Don't really see how you aren't much more vulnerable in the defensive phase.

The only real point you have made so far in your advantage is Mbappe being faster than Hummels :confused:

But I guess that's enough for most of the voters seeing you lead now.

Moby

Dick
The only real point you have made so far in your advantage is Mbappe being faster than Hummels
It's a massive mismatch in terms of playing styles. Imagine Luis Ronaldo 1v1 against Ronald Koeman. Mbappe is constantly compared to the great Brazilian for a reason and that's his insane pace, skill, dribbling and acceleration along with that bullet of a shot. You have Hummels on the same side of the pitch facing the French WC winning superstar who is being provided service by his fellow World Cup winning superstar creator in Griezmann and has Rooney available on the side to combine with and create havoc.

The qualities that make Hummels great won't be useful in that scenario, it would rather be his weaknesses that would be exposed brutally in this case.

Not to mention you have no mitigation plan for this danger whatsoever. It's a sure shot route to goal, no doubt.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's a massive mismatch in terms of playing styles. Imagine Luis Ronaldo 1v1 against Ronald Koeman. Mbappe is constantly compared to the great Brazilian for a reason and that's his insane pace, skill, dribbling and acceleration along with that bullet of a shot. You have Hummels on the same side of the pitch facing the French WC winning superstar who is being provided service by his fellow World Cup winning superstar creator in Griezmann and has Rooney available on the side to combine with and create havoc.

The qualities that make Hummels great won't be useful in that scenario, it would rather be his weaknesses that would be exposed brutally in this case.

Not to mention you have no mitigation plan for this danger whatsoever. It's a sure shot route to goal, no doubt.
So a difference in styles is enough more so than getting battered on both flanks and fielding a 23 years old holder who never played there on consistent basis?

Moby

Dick
So a difference in styles is enough more so than getting battered on both flanks and fielding a 23 years old holder who never played there on consistent basis?
More like multiple mismatches in the most critical zone on the pitch - IN FRONT OF THE GOAL.

Three players of the quality of Mbappe, Rooney and Griezmann all having clear advantages due to several reasons already discussed will not leave the pitch without a win. Rooney is a Champions League winner with two more finals. Griezmann is a CL finalist and a WC winner with top performances. Mbappe is a WC winner with top performances at the age 19.

The proof at the highest stage of these talents, with favourable match ups as well as them being in their absolute element is a massive advantage. A match winning one.

Enigma_87

You know who
More like multiple mismatches in the most critical zone on the pitch - IN FRONT OF THE GOAL.

Three players of the quality of Mbappe, Rooney and Griezmann all having clear advantages due to several reasons already discussed will not leave the pitch without a win. Rooney is a Champions League winner with two more finals. Griezmann is a CL finalist and a WC winner with top performances. Mbappe is a WC winner with top performances at the age 19.

The proof at the highest stage of these talents, with favourable match ups as well as them being in their absolute element is a massive advantage. A match winning one.
Mbappe is still 19 and only played handful of games at high level, but if that’s enough for the voters than you are doing a really good job :)

Makes sense only to pick a fast player and you’ll win the draft :)
Still here? :D
Yeah late for the game because of that :D
Good luck mate.