Modrić winning the Ballon D'or in 2018 may have been a curse in disguise for the public perception about him

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'm just a person who loves rankings and obssessed with discussing abou everything that goes in my head or else I don't have inner peace. I have Asperger. I'm a Sinatra obssessed fan and got too heated in discussions about objectivity of art and that's why I was banned in RYM, but I'll be back when the ban expires there and be a much better and more balanced user instead of being so passionate, easily angerable and defensive with opinions. And I made virtually all posts that I wanted now about football, I have inner peace. So this will stop.
Alright, hopefully you'll calm down and get into the swing of the Forum now, instead of spamming all the time.

Why did you post the exact same thread on multiple different Forums though?

Yagami

Good post resistant
r/soccer and a Barca forum i get. I don't know why you choose a Manchester United forum to spam threads about Madrid and Barcelona related stuff, though.

SpyLuke10

either messi or salah had the best year that year from an individual point of view. however, modric was definitely player of the tournament at a world cup where his team made the final and that clearly helped him out with regards to the ballon dor. also, he was involved in another champions league win.

he achieved more than most at team level but yeah as i said its an individual award.

matbezlima

Alright, hopefully you'll calm down and get into the swing of the Forum now, instead of spamming all the time.

Why did you post the exact same thread on multiple different Forums though?
To get the opinions of as many people as possible

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'm just a person who loves rankings and obssessed with discussing about everything that goes in my head or else I don't have inner peace. I have Asperger, I always get obssessed with a single subject. I created countless threads in subreddits about gaming and in gamefaqs.net. I also do the same for r/thelastairbender, about the great series. I'm a Sinatra obssessed fan and got too heated in discussions about objectivity of art and that's why I was banned in RYM, but I'll be back when the ban expires there and be a much better and more balanced user instead of being so passionate, easily angerable and defensive with opinions. And I made virtually all posts that I wanted now about football, I have inner peace. So this will stop from now on.
Wouldn't bother getting worked up about RYM. The fact they've got 3 Radiohead albums (including #1 and #2) in their top 10 all time chart says it all :lol:

matbezlima

Wouldn't bother getting worked up about RYM. The fact they've got 3 Radiohead albums (including #1 and #2) in their top 10 all time chart says it all :lol:
It's not like there aren't plenty of users loudly complaining about the RYM charts all the time, including Radiohead albums.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Possibly the most pretentious website on the planet

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm just a person who loves rankings and obssessed with discussing about everything that goes in my head or else I don't have inner peace. I have Asperger, I always get obssessed with a single subject. I created countless threads in subreddits about gaming and in gamefaqs.net. I also do the same for r/thelastairbender, about the great series. I'm a Sinatra obssessed fan and got too heated in discussions about objectivity of art and that's why I was banned in RYM, but I'll be back when the ban expires there and be a much better and more balanced user instead of being so passionate, easily angerable and defensive with opinions. And I made virtually all posts that I wanted now about football, I have inner peace. So this will stop from now on.
Don’t get bullied into things, mate. You’re entitled to continue to do as you please unless an actual moderator or admin says otherwise.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Should of never won it to begin with. He and no other player was no where near to being the best in the world bedside Ronaldo and Messi. FIFA was tired of the same one winning which was BS. Madrid is a great midfielder no doubt but he has never reached the level of being considered by anyone "the best player in the world".

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Should of never won it to begin with. He and no other player was no where near to being the best in the world bedside Ronaldo and Messi. FIFA was tired of the same one winning which was BS. Madrid is a great midfielder no doubt but he has never reached the level of being considered by anyone "the best player in the world".
The Ballon d'Or isn't FIFA and it's not about the best player in the world. Now weirdly enough the FIFA award is supposed to celebrate the best player in the world and they gave it to Modric which shouldn't have happened.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Ronaldo was scoring the goals (which is normal) but wasn't more influencial in the general play than Modric for Madrid that year, and Modric was the best player for a team that reached the WC final (though he wasn't the best player at the WC imo, Hazard was but Belgium didn't reach the finals so it was awarded to Modric).

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Modric's Ballon D'or win was certainly more about the idea of a player like him winning it as opposed to being proof that he had an empirically better year than Ronaldo or Messi, but I don't mind that.

Kappa123

Iniesta after 12 beers would still be better than Modric. That award was a joke aimed at people who don't watch football.

rampo

Do you have to start a new thread for every thought that comes into your head? This isn't your personal blog (neither is r/soccer were you post the same stuff and get downvoted to death every time).
Stop stalking the poor guy :lol::lol:

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Iniesta after 12 beers would still be better than Modric. That award was a joke aimed at people who don't watch football.
At their highest level, yes Iniesta will always been seen as the better player of the 2. But during Iniesta's last 3 seasons in Spain, Modric was the better player.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have always been a person obssessed with details and as many adjectives as possible or otherwise I don't feel peace because I feel that I didn't tell what I meant to say in its fullest aspects.
If that's true(gotta be careful with so many wums around), then fair enough, enjoy your time here!

Kappa123

At their highest level, yes Iniesta will always been seen as the better player of the 2. But during Iniesta's last 3 seasons in Spain, Modric was the better player.
That's what I mean. Iniesta, Busquets and Xavi were significantly better than Modric and they didn't come close to the balon d'or.

VanKenny

Its crazy to think that while Iniesta was one of the greatest and most talented players ever, he was never close to being as good as Messi. Any other decade and he would have won 1 or 2 Balons. Xavi too.

matbezlima

Its crazy to think that while Iniesta was one of the greatest and most talented players ever, he was never close to being as good as Messi. Any other decade and he would have won 1 or 2 Balons. Xavi too.
The fact that Modrić won the Ballon D'or while Xavi and Iniesta is almost always mentioned whenever I see Modrić being mocked and called "most overrated player in the world" in internet. The bitterness over Modrić's win has clouded the judgment of many people.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The fact that Modrić won the Ballon D'or while Xavi and Iniesta is almost always mentioned whenever I see Modrić being mocked and called "most overrated player in the world" in internet. The bitterness over Modrić's win has clouded the judgment of many people.
Modric winning the Ballon D'or is clearly influenced by him playing for Real Madrid and Ronaldo leaving them that year, it was clearly influenced by Perez who wanted to show Ronaldo and other player that playing for Madrid can get you individual trophies easier than playing for other clubs. Now, maybe it was even deserved considering Modric's had good year back then, but he would never have won it if he didn't play for Real Madrid.

It's not bitterness towards Modric, it's towards Real Madrid mostly. Pretty sure many people here would give it to Modric few years back easily, but not that year.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
Ronaldo was scoring the goals (which is normal) but wasn't more influencial in the general play than Modric for Madrid that year, and Modric was the best player for a team that reached the WC final (though he wasn't the best player at the WC imo, Hazard was but Belgium didn't reach the finals so it was awarded to Modric).
I would not day Modric was the catalyst in Croatia tbh. It was very much a team effort. Take out rakitic and they don't make it, just like Modric. He just was not the best player in the world in 2018.

This isn't even about Ronaldo either its just that no one is better then Ronaldo and Messi, None make as much of an impact or difference. You could argue he was not even the 3rd best player in the world.

I think FIFA saw him making the WC Final as the ideal "reasoning" for dethroning the two football gods and give football a breath of fresh air.

Also about the Madrid statement. You can say that but at the same time...when Ronaldo left that summer Modric the recently voted best in the world had a below average year and Madrid was in shambles. So who really was the most influential player on that team?

SportingCP96

Supports
Modric winning the Ballon D'or is clearly influenced by him playing for Real Madrid and Ronaldo leaving them that year, it was clearly influenced by Perez who wanted to show Ronaldo and other player that playing for Madrid can get you individual trophies easier than playing for other clubs. Now, maybe it was even deserved considering Modric's had good year back then, but he would never have won it if he didn't play for Real Madrid.

It's not bitterness towards Modric, it's towards Real Madrid and the price itself. Pretty sure many people here would give it to Modric few years back easily, but not that year.
Hell I would argue if Ronaldo stays in Madrid that year he would of won it and rightfully so. He was the spear head of a CL 3 peat (historic feat) I do think him leaving may have led to the Modric win.

matbezlima

It's not bitterness towards Modric, it's towards Real Madrid and the price itself. Pretty sure many people here would give it to Modric few years back easily, but not that year.
Makes sense. My complaint is only directed towards people who forget how good Modrić was in previous season in which he was truly great and clearly better than in 2018, blind by his Ballon D'or.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I would make a few less threads within such a short time, but these OPs are full of great details and are well thought out.

It’s great to see different types of posters on the boards and I know myself, from having a son on the spectrum, how he can become obsessed with details and finds it very difficult to avoid certain patterns of behavior.

I think it’s great that you are willing to learn and listen to criticism but it’s obvious from the amount of research in the OPs that you have a lot to contribute!

Don’t take too much of the criticism to heart, as people can be impatient and inflexible over the most mundane things and their lack of patience and understanding says more about them than it does about you.

As for Modrić, I see it as similar to Giggs PFA win. It is a celebration of a great footballer and the World Cup gave them an opportunity to do just that.

The prize should have been Messi’s or Ronaldo’s every year, but they obviously wanted to seize the chance to do something different and retain interest in the award.

History will remember that he won it and I am sure that is all that matters to him.

matbezlima

I would make a few less threads within such a short time, but these OPs are full of great details and are well thought out.

It’s great to see different types of posters on the boards and I know myself, from having a son on the spectrum, how he can become obsessed with details and finds it very difficult to avoid certain patterns of behavior.

I think it’s great that you are willing to learn and listen to criticism but it’s obvious from the amount of research in the OPs that you have a lot to contribute!

Don’t take too much of the criticism to heart, as people can be impatient and inflexible over the most mundane things and their lack of patience and understanding says more about them than it does about you.

As for Modrić, I see it as similar to Giggs PFA win. It is a celebration of a great footballer and the World Cup gave them an opportunity to do just that.

The prize should have been Messi’s or Ronaldo’s every year, but they obviously wanted to seize the chance to do something different and retain interest in the award.

History will remember that he won it and I am sure that is all that matters to him.
Everything that you said is spot-on! Thanks too!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Modric winning the Ballon d'Or when neither Iniesta nor Xavi managed it was just a question of timing. Hardly reflects on Modric one way or another. Plus these individual awards are only ever so much about who is actually the best player. Messi and Ronaldo have won plenty, so if some other excellent footballer gets acknowledged every now and again then that's fine by me.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Don’t get bullied into things, mate. You’re entitled to continue to do as you please unless an actual moderator or admin says otherwise.
This. Keep being you. Been a tough month or two football discussion wise with season postponed. Any meaningful discussion that keeps the caf going is encouraged. The world is in hard times so do what makes you happy and if you feel particularly abused by anyone, let us know via the report function.

Great post @Maluco

Last edited:

matbezlima

This. Keep being you. Been a tough month or two football discussion wise with season postponed. Any meaningful discussion that keeps the caf going is encouraged. The world is in hard times so do what makes you happy and if you feel particularly abused by anyone, let us know via the report function.

Great post @Maluco
Thanks to all of you for the support! I'm really happy and glad! Thank you!

matbezlima

Still waiting for your reply on who and where think less of Modric because of undeserved award?
Random people online. Like when Oh My Goal made a poll about overrated players. Modrić was leading and there were many comments trashing him. And in Iniesta and Xavi videos on YouTube too.

Righteous Steps

Yeah right no need to underrate Modric, he is pretty close to Xavi level when everything is said and done, unlucky to be born Croatian instead of Spanish you could say otherwise he would have the all round career any of those players had.