Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Brighton are actually playing a blinder all round and haven't put a foot wrong thus far given they never said it was a negotiation. My last post @weetee and @Rajiztar made a very fair point in stating that the onus as a buyer is try to procure the best possible price, but as a [reluctant] seller, I feel Brighton are going to see offers way, way below stated a price as a literal waste of everyone's time. It harms you [Chelsea] more as brinkmanship favours them the closer to the end of the window you get. Is it brinkmanship, even? They're not playing, so probably not.

Regarding Caicedo. It's in his best interests to keep performing to the absolute best of his abilities to finally secure the big money move, which will definitely come next summer if he matches or betters the season he's just had. No matter his issue with Brighton, on a purely self-serving level, he needs to keep pushing himself and smart people in his ear would tell him he could then legitimately be playing himself into talks with the biggest clubs in the world come the end of the season.

Regarding other talent observing these goings on. I should think all and sundry understand that if Brighton set a price and it's met, they'll not stand in your way. No different to Dortmund's model. It's not like a Levy/Spurs clusterfeck. Brighton must surely be one of, if not the most, exciting prospective club in the PL to go to as an up-and-coming talent. You'll play, you'll make a name for yourself and you'll be sent on your way with their blessing once they are paid what they state your worth is. Caicedo and his agents are making that process messier than it should be.

The player understandably has angst - he's new to being a highly coveted player on the brink of: mega money wages, huge money sale, sponsorship and stardom. Just 2yrs ago, he wasn't a name as opposed to a Rice, Bellingham or Camavinga etc etc who were all tipped and mapped for stardom as soon as they turned pro, so his management and handling is all over the place in comparison (and it shows) - you mention the player being 'stuck' yet he and his entourage were foolish enough to sign a new contract just this season gone, which is down to poor handling.

If this window closes and you miss out on the player, only you will feel the impact, unless Caicedo takes a turn and doesn't perform like he should continue to. As outlined above, that would just be stupid on his part because he is on the verge of becoming a bona fide talent all top clubs will be bidding for next summer if he carries his trajectory on.

You mention your relationship with them... I don't think they need you as much as you seem to believe, even if they are after your youngsters. They will have talented youngsters from around the globe clamouring to play for them, and that will only increase if they have another outstanding season.
Guess you confuse me with somebody else, maybe @WeePat?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I did t say the end of Brighton, but certainly a very very strained relationship with Caicedo … which is always fun in a dressing room.

And Brighton is desperate to shop in our academy and satellite ranks. They have already apparently moved on yo inquiring about Humphreys, Maatsen, and future loans for younger talents like Paez.

All we’ve gotten from this relationship is Cucurella.

Then they lied to their player, who is now stuck there on .. what, 60k a week?

And they were tapping up a player e trusted to them on loan.

Generally a harsh mark against teams. I don’t know I would trust them with another loanee. And players are certainly watching what happened to Caicedo. So… not a good look all the way around.
Brighton did the mistake when their manager openly talked about player we loaned to them despite we clearly said to them he is not for sale. That's disrespectful too.

But why Brighton should downsized their demands regarding caicedo. We are not finished article and nobody knows how we will perform in coming season. Brighton don't want to become another also rans club who selling their best players year after year and going down in few years time won't go well with their ambitions.

If we feel caicedo important player to make us a complete team then we created that demand and Brighton rightfully hold up for whatever price they set. If we feel that is too much then just move away from him. We are disrespecting Brighton too in this saga. We try to unsettle their player despite they said clearly he will cost as much as rice.

I admired caicedo though. He kept himself loyal to brighton and allowed the club to get maximum price for him if he moved away from them.

Redcy

Fan: he could be the best since Pele. Middle of the table clubs let real prospects go to top clubs aged 24. BHA have only had one before in the world class grade in Mark Lawrenson in the early 19 eighties.
Ah of course you mean Abedi Pele. All makes sense now.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I did t say the end of Brighton, but certainly a very very strained relationship with Caicedo … which is always fun in a dressing room.

And Brighton is desperate to shop in our academy and satellite ranks. They have already apparently moved on yo inquiring about Humphreys, Maatsen, and future loans for younger talents like Paez.

All we’ve gotten from this relationship is Cucurella.

Then they lied to their player, who is now stuck there on .. what, 60k a week?

And they were tapping up a player e trusted to them on loan.

Generally a harsh mark against teams. I don’t know I would trust them with another loanee. And players are certainly watching what happened to Caicedo. So… not a good look all the way around.
And Graham Potter and 5 of his backroom staff, Paul Winstanley and now Sanchez. I'm sorry but if anyone has a right to feel aggrieved it's Brighton, not Chelsea.

I'm sorry, but your post reeks of 'big club' arrogance. Brighton aren't doing anything wrong here, they aren't singling Chelsea out, they've set a price for a top young player, and said he can go if buyers meet that price.

So you either suck it up and pay it like Arsenal had to do with Rice (and overpay as most will point out), or don't pay it and walk away.

It's also incredibly arrogant, to say that Brighton with 1 of the best scouting and recruitment teams around, would be heavily affected in future recruitment by not rolling over for Chelsea this time around.

And if players are looking at what happened with Caceido, it's not showing so far this window, as their scouting production line looks like it's keeping on rolling fine to me!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
And Graham Potter and 5 of his backroom staff, Paul Winstanley and now Sanchez. I'm sorry but if anyone has a right to feel aggrieved it's Brighton, not Chelsea.

I'm sorry, but your post reeks of 'big club' arrogance. Brighton aren't doing anything wrong here, they aren't singling Chelsea out, they've set a price for a top young player, and said he can go if buyers meet that price.

So you either suck it up and pay it like Arsenal had to do with Rice (and overpay as most will point out), or don't pay it and walk away.

It's also incredibly arrogant, to say that Brighton with 1 of the best scouting and recruitment teams around, would be heavily affected in future recruitment by not rolling over for Chelsea this time around.

And if players are looking at what happened with Caceido, it's not showing so far this window, as their scouting production line looks like it's keeping on rolling fine to me!
Guess this is the unfiltered version. :angel:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Agree with all of this - the whole Brighton is being mean and disrespectful of poor old Chelsea is very tiring!

As with all of our sales, there is a price. Either pay it or don’t, it’s Chelsea’s choice.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Good post, can't believe some are playing "poor Chelsea" card.

Brighton have no reason to sell, if Chelsea want the player then they have to make acceptable offer.

Plastic Evra

Hijacking Potter and his staff (did they keep positions at Chelsea or were in the layoff with him ?) feel to me it would be the most aggravating episode. Eminently disruptive happening mid-season... Brighton coped well with it evidently, but still. And all that to bin Potter before the season's end like an used toy.

Last edited:

Nickosaur

Bravo.

I don't know how anyone can watch how we are playing today and how ETH wants his midfield to function going forward and say, lets spend 100m on Caicedo. He's not a holding DM.
He played as the most defensive midfielder for Brighton last season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When has the club director ever come and briefed on why a player is missing a friendly game? He’s coming folks :D

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Brighton are actually playing a blinder all round and haven't put a foot wrong thus far given they never said it was a negotiation. My last post @WeePat and @Rajiztar made a very fair point in stating that the onus as a buyer is try to procure the best possible price, but as a [reluctant] seller, I feel Brighton are going to see offers way, way below stated a price as a literal waste of everyone's time. It harms you [Chelsea] more as brinkmanship favours them the closer to the end of the window you get. Is it brinkmanship, even? They're not playing, so probably not.

Regarding Caicedo. It's in his best interests to keep performing to the absolute best of his abilities to finally secure the big money move, which will definitely come next summer if he matches or betters the season he's just had. No matter his issue with Brighton, on a purely self-serving level, he needs to keep pushing himself and smart people in his ear would tell him he could then legitimately be playing himself into talks with the biggest clubs in the world come the end of the season.

Regarding other talent observing these goings on. I should think all and sundry understand that if Brighton set a price and it's met, they'll not stand in your way. No different to Dortmund's model. It's not like a Levy/Spurs clusterfeck. Brighton must surely be one of, if not the most, exciting prospective club in the PL to go to as an up-and-coming talent. You'll play, you'll make a name for yourself and you'll be sent on your way with their blessing once they are paid what they state your worth is. Caicedo and his agents are making that process messier than it should be.

The player understandably has angst - he's new to being a highly coveted player on the brink of: mega money wages, huge money sale, sponsorship and stardom. Just 2yrs ago, he wasn't a name as opposed to a Rice, Bellingham or Camavinga etc etc who were all tipped and mapped for stardom as soon as they turned pro, so his management and handling is all over the place in comparison (and it shows) - you mention the player being 'stuck' yet he and his entourage were foolish enough to sign a new contract just this season gone, which is down to poor handling.

If this window closes and you miss out on the player, only you will feel the impact, unless Caicedo takes a turn and doesn't perform like he should continue to. As outlined above, that would just be stupid on his part because he is on the verge of becoming a bona fide talent all top clubs will be bidding for next summer if he carries his trajectory on.

You mention your relationship with them... I don't think they need you as much as you seem to believe, even if they are after your youngsters. They will have talented youngsters from around the globe clamouring to play for them, and that will only increase if they have another outstanding season.
As has been established many times over, other than a very few Chelsea fans, most acknowledge Brighton can do what they want. They have every right to look after their own interests, I was just pushing back against this idea that they’re some kind of victims because Chelsea are bidding for their player.

I just see this as one club going after another club’s player and the other club standing firm. Bog standard transfer window stuff.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton

absolutely spot on post.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Brighton tried to get personal agreement with kudus but looked problematic for them it seems.

Mitoma also not keen to extend the terms with them with mancity looks to sign him.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Brighton tried to get personal agreement with kudus but looked problematic for them it seems.

Mitoma also not keen to extend the terms with them with mancity looks to sign him.
Mitoma’s contract is up in June 2025, and he doesn’t have an extension option or release clause. Interesting to see what happens with him, but even next summer with a season left on his deal another big fee wouldn’t be out of the question. I think he’d be an excellent fit for Man City, much as that pains me to say. Nothing happening this summer though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

fecking man city. How do others compete with team like this? Unlimited budget and very smart on getting the right type of players.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
fecking man city. How do others compete with team like this? Unlimited budget and very smart on getting the right type of players.
They are upgrading their team from stronger position. Easier for them to upgrade one or two positions a window and also selling players for correct praise and correct time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They are upgrading their team from stronger position. Easier for them to upgrade one or two positions a window and also selling players for correct praise and correct time.
They bought the right type of players that can be easily sold. United spent almost as much as City in the last decade, but still need another "overhaul" of players while struggling to find buyers. And probably Chelsea, too.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
They bought the right type of players that can be easily sold. United spent almost as much as City in the last decade, but still need another "overhaul" of players while struggling to find buyers. And probably Chelsea, too.
Dont even want to talk about our transfer blunders. When we won league under jose 2.0 he got bunch of kids,baba rahman. When conte won the league he got bakayoko,drinkwater,morata. When tuchel won CL he got fecking lukaku. :lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

Err, they've currently got 115 charges against them for 'allegedly' breaking the financial rules, because they are pathetic little sportswashing club who can't generate their own income to support this charde, that's how.

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

I still think a major problem that’s been evident at clubs like United/Chelsea etc is that often times there seems to be an outdated approach to both scouting and targets. Especially in the modern era of the PL, you can’t afford to still wait for a player to be “PL proven” unless you want to be breaking club records every summer because these smaller clubs don’t have to sell anymore. They are more than happy to keep their stars if a monster offer doesn’t come in and they have the cash to improve in the meantime.

It feels like both clubs have taken steps in different ways to rectify it, but it’s one of the main reasons we’ve both been at the bottom of the barrel in overall transfer success for the past decade in my opinion

Abraxas

Why would Brighton relent anyway?

They're seen Chelsea willing to spunk their load on mids from Portugal. They're not going to place any lesser valuation on a top young midfielder with PL performances behind him.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Brighton are not trying to sell, so it's not on them to lower the price for others to match. It's on buying club to make a bid that is acceptable for Brighton.
That’s only if you believe the player and his representatives are lying. He was angry at the level of bids turned down in the January window when he then put in public transfer requests.

To keep him happy til Summer, when Brighton EXPECTED here to be a bidding war, they had him sign a pretty meager pay rise with the promise he would be sold in the Summer as long as the price was reasonable.

Now, Caicedo’s camp thought 70 was too much to ask in January. Do you think they were told “100m or you don’t leave and you’re stuck on 60k” when they signed? That seems massively unlikely.

They thought there would be multiple bidders, so they didn’t think it would be an issue.

But there isn’t. All you have are cop outs from people like De Zerbi essentially saying he shouldn’t have listened to him because didn’t have the authority to make promises.

Teams make u official promises to players all the time. MOST teams honor them.

Brighton isn’t.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Brighton probably have Chelsea’s emails on auto reply with ‘no’

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Brighton probably have Chelsea’s emails on auto reply with ‘no’

Not to be an ITK dipshit but have heard from friends of friends that part of the hang-up is that Gallagher's valuation is a point of contention for a potential part-exchange - apparently Chelsea think Gallagher is worth what West Ham bid and Brighton disagree. Chelsea aren't actively looking to offload Gallagher but would be willing to if it limits Brighton's financial obligations to Independiente del Valle.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I still think a major problem that’s been evident at clubs like United/Chelsea etc is that often times there seems to be an outdated approach to both scouting and targets. Especially in the modern era of the PL, you can’t afford to still wait for a player to be “PL proven” unless you want to be breaking club records every summer because these smaller clubs don’t have to sell anymore. They are more than happy to keep their stars if a monster offer doesn’t come in and they have the cash to improve in the meantime.

It feels like both clubs have taken steps in different ways to rectify it, but it’s one of the main reasons we’ve both been at the bottom of the barrel in overall transfer success for the past decade in my opinion
I don't know about "outdated". I don't mind us splashing cash on ready-made/proven players. I welcome to the likes of Onana, Varane, Casemiro, and Mount that can be called proven. I'd be extremely happy if we go for Osinhem also. Or if we're in for Maitoma.

But it seems like most of our proven or big purchase end up in failures. Is it outdated scouting? is it lack of plan on upstairs management? We just seems not getting back our money worth.

Last edited:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

At this point are there Brighton people who DON’T think we did them a favor with them ending up with De Zerbi? We should ask for more off the price for that, not feel bad about it.

We also went through the proper channels to request to speak to the people we were interested in.

We had permission to talk to Caicedo, at the players bequest. Brighton was tapping up and contacting Colwill after the loan was up to feel him out about forcing a move without our permission.

And the moment they started bringing talk to the Caicedo table that a deal could be contingent on the fate of another player … all pretense they were not completely lying in there dealings with Caicedo’s team went out the window.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Not to be an ITK dipshit but have heard from friends of friends that part of the hang-up is that Gallagher's valuation is a point of contention for a potential part-exchange - apparently Chelsea think Gallagher is worth what West Ham bid and Brighton disagree. Chelsea aren't actively looking to offload Gallagher but would be willing to if it limits Brighton's financial obligations to Independiente del Valle.
See, I thought the inflated price of Sanchez was to get around the obligation to deal Valle to an extent. Part of me expected there to be a week or so in between deals so it did t look too suspicious (because del Valle would probably have a rightful issue with such an arrangement), and then it would get done.

With Gallagher … it would depend how different from West Ham their valuations are for me. In that situation, unlike them, we would have multiple bids for our player.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Gallagher to Brighton? That would annoy me, to be honest. I get that it though, I can understand why a lot of fans would accept that deal no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.