Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

Some of you are setting yourselves up for some heartache. Don’t do it to yourself. He’ll be a Chelsea player very soon.

dinostar77

Yeah, there's a reason why I avoid Mount's thread; reading how he's going to be any kind of saviour for us is baffling, particularly so when he doesn't come in and address the fundamental issues of how, like you say, he should become 'live' and optimised. You put him in the deeper midfield and you work away from his strengths and belabour the midfield with a suboptimal component; you push him further up, and, well what was the point of that, as you're then stuck in a loop that has dogged us for years now.

Caicedo seems to be underrated if anything, seemingly being reduced to this powerhouse presser rather than someone shining with his use of the ball and accuracy in the things he does with it. Creativity is obviously a broad term, and when it's mentioned, we have an idea it's not for guys like him, but it's definitely not for Mount, either. We'd need an Odegaard or any other knitter of midfield to the attack to be as superfluous as people seem to think we can be with just Mount added to the team.

We're not in a great position with the signing of any single midfielder, but some address far more needs than others, and Caicedo is definitely in the category of Swiss Army Knife in the amount of uses he has, not least his ability to play with, or cover for, Casemiro, which is, at base ends, an essential in our threadbare squad. Casemiro is the biggest single point failure we have, and that needs to be addressed promptly. Without him, we're the same dross we've been in midfield for years. That needs to be sorted once and for all, in fact it's a travesty we're still talking about that going into the 2023/'24 season.

Caicedo would be an intrinsic component for us; I don't see how Mount would be, but I will try to remain open-minded on that front.
Mount v Caiceido. Chalk and Cheese.

Two very different midfielders who bring very different qualities to a team.

Jericholyte2

Is Caicedo even going to move in this window - he's just signed a new deal this year hasn't he?

He's going to cost too much at the moment, even for Chelsea.
It was essentially a sweetener to keep him happy for the remainder of the season. They’ll have made a deal to let him go for £Xm in the summer.

The manager basically admitted as much after their last game of the season.

Devil You Know

It's a choice between Guardiola-style: one holding #6 plus two positionally flexible #10s
-----Fernadinho
De Buyne---Silva

Or a Mourinho-syle: one holding #6 plus one energetic #8 plus one goal scoring #10
-----Makalele
--------------Essien
Lampard

If we buy Mount, we go with the first option. If we buy Caicedo, it's the second option.

I'm flipping between which of the two is my preference.

The only thing is that AWB would work better in the Kyle Walker role for option one, whereas that position doesn't really exist for option two. So option one is the is the way I'm leaning right now. It possibly fits the rest of the team slightly better.

-Supreme-

Rabiot + Caicedo >>>> Mount

We should bring in Mount next season to replace Eriksen

CrookedEye

I had given up hope that we would be in for him this window but the tweet about Chelsea and then about our interest is definitely positive.

kidbob

Rabiot + Caicedo >>>> Mount

We should bring in Mount next season to replace Eriksen
This would likely be the best case scenario. Be incredible business if we can convince Mount to sign on a free next summer, while picking up the other 2 this summer. A complete revamp of midfield for 80 odd million spent in transfer fees.

Dominos

Isn't he close to extending with Juventus anyway? Pretty sure I saw that somewhere
That was the suggestion in Italy a few days ago, but today there's been a few reports we're in talks/have offered him a contract (both Italy and UK sources).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No way, I refuse to believe. More likely that De Jong joins.

Come on, Murtough you clown, prove me wrong

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Mount + Rabiot + Caicedo :wenger:

Must mean a couple players are on the way out?

Bwuk

I wouldn’t be against us trying the 3241 City do if we had him.

I’ve had a few drinks tonight which might be swaying my logic mind you…

Not De Gea
Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Caicedo - Casemiro
Antony - Bruno - Eriksen - Garnacho
Rashford​

Big Ray

I wouldn’t be against us trying the 3241 City do if we had him.

I’ve had a few drinks tonight which might be swaying my logic mind you…

Not De Gea
Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Caicedo - Casemiro
Antony - Bruno - Eriksen - Garnacho
Rashford​
That looks good. Just need a proper striker, a more dependable right winger, and an upgrade on Eriksen.

croadyman

Chelsea saving face because Caicedo has told them to do one as he's on his way to United.
Nah I still see him ending up at Chelsea and Mount joining us despite what he may have said in the past about wanting to play for Utd

prateik

~230m should get us Caicedo + Rasmus + keeper + Mount

2 midfielders would mean at least 2 leave.. so
Fred + DVB for around 25m
Henderson ~20m
Telles + Bailly + Williams ~15m

If Maguire goes.. get a replacement
If ownership is decided and Kane becomes available.. stretch the budget and get the player

And this is not counting the potential sales of Martial/Sancho/Elanga/Hannibal or whoever else might leave.

and if money is tight, please get Caicedo over Mount...

MDFC Manager

~230m should get us Caicedo + Rasmus + keeper + Mount

2 midfielders would mean at least 2 leave.. so
Fred + DVB for around 25m
Henderson ~20m
Telles + Bailly + Williams ~15m

If Maguire goes.. get a replacement
If ownership is decided and Kane becomes available.. stretch the budget and get the player

And this is not counting the potential sales of Martial/Sancho/Elanga/Hannibal or whoever else might leave.

and if money is tight, please get Caicedo over Mount...
Now I firmly believe we're getting both Caicedo and Mount :drool:

croadyman

Just by going by the numbers on the screenshots. Its Mount. We need to upgrade eriksen.
Yeah him & Rabiot on a free is definitely an upgrade. We can then focus on finding that playmaker who can progress from deep in January or next summer

NoPace

Which of these qualities do we need right NOW
We need both a defensive mid and an attacking mid. The midfield probably has to be Casemiro and another deeper mid like Caicedo, then 3 attacking mids (Bruno, Eriksen and Mount).

We need 5 guys for the 3 spots, and we have 3.

But if it's either or, I'd take Caicedo because if we have Mount, we have nobody if Casemiro is hurt, whereas any combination of Caicedo, Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen has some balance, and we could play the WM, a 4-2-3-1 or even just play Caicedo or Casemiro a bit higher up the pitch; Caicedo looked up for in the World Cup when he had to do it, he's plenty agile/mobile even if he's not creative, and he's been forced to defend a ton deeper for Brighton who have had no other DMs but lots of creative midfielders in front of him, and hell Casemiro seems like he would love to get into the box more and give us an actual aerial threat against teams sitting deep.

So yeah, we need both, but I'd prefer Caicedo and a flier on a cheaper #10 in the market. Young creatives like Amad or Sancho are plausible options against defensive teams as #10s too, whereas we have nothing backing up Casemiro, and Casemiro and Eriksen's legs are arleady going, someone like Caicedo helps them more than someone like Mount I'd speculate.

If we can snag Rabiot on reasonable wages, then the calculation probably changes and Mount makes a lot more sense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Which of these qualities do we need right NOW
Caicedo easily due to him being strong against the press and our issues being that we struggle against good high pressing teams, especially away from home. A GK who is comfortable in possession should help as well.

Mount is someone who was likely seen as a quick deal due to his contract situation and his preference to join United over Arsenal and Liverpool. But Chelsea have made things difficult and it's good to see that we've stood firm. But with Mount and Bruno as advanced #8s, ten Hag would still need to maintain balance by inverting the fullbacks into either the defensive line or coming into midfield next to Casemiro. It's why Caicedo is a better deal imo but the issue at the moment is price.

Caicedo and Rabiot for now with Mount joining us on a free would be my preference at this moment in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.