Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitbyviking

This thread should be recorded in the annals of Caf history.

The histrionics from some posters are magnificent to behold. Yes he is great, but there are so many variables that it is still a massive gamble, like any transfer. He had a good season riding the crest of a wave in a Brighton team that did very well, but ultimately fell short in a season where a few of the bigger players had a terrible year, and others were decimated with injuries. There are so many intangibles to consider that all these posts handing every title to Liverpool for the next 10yrs are beyond ludicrous. Being in a new team, off the back of a bad season, with a lot more pressure and fans who are only ever 1min from a meltdown isn't going to be easy. The expectation on him and the weight of that fee are not going to make things easy, he will need to be 9/10 in every game, and even that might not be enough.

One thing is for sure, we don't need him right now, and arguably don't until the wheels fall off Cas, which might be 2-3years, probably 2. During that time there will be another superstar DM appear, and it seems we are finally in a position with the manager to recognise this early enough to not need to spend ridiculous money on him.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
People can get high on copium if they want, but I'm convinced this signing just put them back ahead of us this season.

I guess we'll find out over time who is right.

johnnyteutonic

It seems like this place rates Caicedo, who had 1 good season and have never played in Europe, higher than Casemiro last season when we signed him, after winning 5 CLs.

When Liverpool sign a player off 1 good season in EPL for €130m you lot are creaming yourself and praise Liverpool for their amazing business. Man Utd sign a player for €70m you lot cry to the high heavens asking for God to just end your life and stop your suffering. You lot are better off posting in RAWK.

This place can be hilariously dumb at times.
I second this sentiment. I am admittedly irritated by this signing too but the amount of hysteria here is absolutely nuts.

saivet

I think this signing makes them title contenders.
It will be a completely brand new midfield. Think Caicedo is a top play and has proven he can play with MacAllister but I'm not sold on MacAllister or the other guy.

That said, I would have said the same thing about Henderson and Gini.

cafecillos

£110m sounds a bit state-clubesque but it's probably just reinvesting Coutinho's fee.

Real Name

Exaggeration here is a sight to behold. Suddenly, thanks to Caicedo they're title contenders. Not to mention Casemiro being portrayed as some a Sunday league player in comparison.

Real Name

Caicedo, MacAllister and Szoboszloi is a tremendous midfield tbh. Lots of mobility, industry, press resistance in there for high tempo football. And all of them are at a great age, this is a mega rebuild job
They don't have depth though and we're yet to see if Szoboslai will work out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Exaggeration here is a sight to behold. Suddenly, thanks to Caicedo they're title contenders. Not to mention Casemiro being portrayed as some a Sunday league player in comparison.
Nobody should underrated casemiro but it's not "suddenly" title contenders. They've been title contenders for 3? of the past 5 seasons. They had a down season but it'd be weird to think that was their normal level rather than the team who got mid-high 90 points 3 times and are the only team proven that can push City. They fell off last season with the old midfield. They've refreshed it fully with a very nice balance, young 20's, and an incredibly energetic trio. Best be prepared for a much stronger Liverpool than be shocked when it happens.

onemanarmy

Nobody should underrated casemiro but it's not "suddenly" title contenders. They've been title contenders for 3? of the past 5 seasons. They had a down season but it'd be weird to think that was their normal level rather than the team who got mid-high 90 points 3 times and are the only team proven that can push City. They fell off last season with the old midfield. They've refreshed it fully with a very nice balance, young 20's, and an incredibly energetic trio. Best be prepared for a much stronger Liverpool than be shocked when it happens.
Their defence was a huge problem too. And Mané leaving.

Last edited:

VivaRonaldo85

Brighton have absolutely rinsed Liverpool here, £110m valuation is laughable.
Tony Bloome is the best operator in the league. Over £100 million profit on one player for one very good seasons in the PL is truly remarkable.

Idxomer

Liverpool have been the only team able to go the distance with City over the last 5 seasons.

I think with this signing they will do it again.

mikeyt

Caicedo has been very good for Brighton and I'd have loved him here, top player but people on here talking like he's been bossing midfields ala Xavi and Iniesta for years. If he steps up under Klopp he'll be some player but he's not for me at that kind of level and Brighton should be laughing on that fee.

Whoever Brighton go after to replace him, we need to be ready to get all over it to save us paying £100million in a couple years!

resimad7

Caicedo, MacAllister and Szoboszloi is a tremendous midfield tbh. Lots of mobility, industry, press resistance in there for high tempo football. And all of them are at a great age, this is a mega rebuild job
Casemiro, Bruno and mount is better.

Real Name

Suddenly as opposed to last year. You're right about them being in the mix being their normal state but we're yet to see if the midfield will click, not to mention not having depth there, and their defense is still a problem. Caicedo will up their level again but I don't think to the point of being close to City and fighting for the title.

onemanarmy

At their peak their defence was protected by an energetic midfield. They've just re-instated it.
If the signings work out, maybe. VVD isn't the player he was back then, Mané was extremely important to the team, their new attacking players haven't clicked.

dasty

Caicedo has been very good for Brighton and I'd have loved him here, top player but people on here talking like he's been bossing midfields ala Xavi and Iniesta for years. If he steps up under Klopp he'll be some player but he's not for me at that kind of level and Brighton should be laughing on that fee.

Whoever Brighton go after to replace him, we need to be ready to get all over it to save us paying £100million in a couple years!
This place talks as if Caicedo is some combination of Yaya Toure + Makelele that will boss every midfield he comes across. After 1 good season in EPL without ever playing in Europe.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
From what I’ve seen of them, Bellingham stands out as the one most likely to fulfill the price tag. The others I’m in the wait and watch camp.

Ill admit thought that I wouldn’t mind us spending on the next big midfield talent. I feel our engine room does need that. Maybe it’ll be Mainoo :D
Even Bellingham will flop massively. We've been here repeated times, they usually fail in more ways than one. From Hazard, Bale etc.. This signings rarely work out.

At least it's not us on the receiving end of this nightmare. Liverpool have spent 400m in 3 windows they won't win anything.
Chelsea the same, they've spent over 700m in the last year's won nothing,
Arteta has spent 700m he has not won anything.

May ETH not fall in that category, we've been through that with previous managers, we do desereve to be on the good side of things now.

Let others go through that route.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
People can get high on copium if they want, but I'm convinced this signing just put them back ahead of us this season.

I guess we'll find out over time who is right.
What's the opposite of copium? You've been huffing a lot of it in here.

bosnian_red

Suddenly as opposed to last year. You're right about them being in the mix being their normal state but we're yet to see if the midfield will click, not to mention not having depth there, and their defense is still a problem. Caicedo will up their level again but I don't think to the point of being close to City and fighting for the title.
Depth isn't a huge issue when Klopp will just toss out the Europa League and cups whenever they cause issues to depth, like Arsenal did. I'd imagine they'll just address depth in a year and go full focus on the league.

Defence I don't think is a huge issue? Trent is class, he had a wobble but finished the season very strongly. Robertson and Tsimikas are pretty good at left back. Van dijk even still, Konate, Gomez, whoever else they have... It's not quite as good as it was but still a good back 4 IMO. And more importantly for any back 4 is to have a DM who can protect you with the right work rate around him, and they've got that now.

Caicedo and Mac Allister we already know click so I don't see that being a concern for them sadly. My hope is Szoboszlai is a flop, which could happen. Jones is good depth but they don't have any cover for Caicedo mainly.

kirk buttercup

I bet he will flop. Hope the press go on about his price tag the same way they would if he signed for United for that amount

bosnian_red

If the signings work out, maybe. VVD isn't the player he was back then, Mané was extremely important to the team, their new attacking players haven't clicked.
TBF, Diaz was out for most of the year but he is a quality player when fit. Not sure if he's prone to injuries or just had a big one.

AneRu

This is really bad news for us, that's now City, Arsenal and Liverpool with better squads than us. If the Casemiro-Bruno-Mount midfield doesn't work out we will be in big trouble considering our major weakness at 9 and that Antony isn't a great attacking contributor.

Good thing it's now top 5 not top 4 that gets into the CL because we have lost the arms race, our summer build now looks pedestrian/half-hearted.

mav_9me

He said that 7 years ago. You have to spend to compete in this league. 'Doing it differently' will see you finish no higher than 6th.

He is a great signing and massively improves them.
Sorry but for the most part one has to spend to get to the top/ stay at the top. Has been true for years. Even Fergie spent when he saw it fit, Rio, Rooney etc. Truer since Chelsea came to the party.

But Klopp said he was different. Guess he is not. When you say you're different, but you are not, expect to be called out on the hypocrisy

Ronaldinho's snakebite

Jurgen Klopp on Man Utd signing Pogba for €100m in 2016: "The day that this is football, then I'm not in a job anymore. "Other clubs can spend more money and collect top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I had that money."

Fecking hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.