Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

avgp_1

They don't have depth though and we're yet to see if Szoboslai will work out.
The Spanish/Serb kid looked pretty good last season from what I saw of him, atleast as a back up option he isnt too bad. But yes they dont have a lot of experience in there.
And agree Szoboszloi does have question marks, could be a bit of a lightweight for the PL. But he will work hard, make runs, combine well etc and them 3 will give Alexander Arnold the security to pick his passes as he tucks in. On paper that is a very balanced midfield for the future as well as the present

Judas

Open to offers
This is really bad news for us, that's now City, Arsenal and Liverpool with better squads than us. If the Casemiro-Bruno-Mount midfield doesn't work out we will be in big trouble considering our major weakness at 9 and that Antony isn't a great attacking contributor.

Good thing it's now top 5 not top 4 that gets into the CL because we have lost the arms race, our summer build now looks pedestrian/half-hearted.
This....isn't true is it? I keep seeing random people saying it, but not anywhere official. Unless I've missed it. At least not for this season coming.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Sorry but for the most part one has to spend to get to the top/ stay at the top. Has been true for years. Even Fergie spent when he saw it fit, Rio, Rooney etc. Truer since Chelsea came to the party.

But Klopp said he was different. Guess he is not. When you say you're different, but you are not, expect to be called out on the hypocrisy
Not like he spent huge money a season or two after that statement.

mav_9me

They've now transformed their midfield in one summer, we're still piecing ours together hoping it works.

Think they'll mount more of a challenge than us this season.
ETH has been here 1 season, this is Klopps 8th season. And they are spending insane amount. Of course they are transforming their midfield, while we're working on it.

Highfather_24

This is why Casemiro was always a panic-short term buy.

Brilliant player, probably our best player last season, immense leader. But its only downhill from here, and by end of next season we need to replace him. We spend 70M on him, while our rivals got their future DM sorted for the next 10 years with Rice and Caicedo for a bit more.

I dont wanna pin all my hopes on Kobee Mainoo. I remember how when we were about to sign RvP, a lot of folks said he wasnt needed because he would block the development of Welbeck and Hernandez. Academy players are always a gamble.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The only thing Caicedo has is better passing accuracy, but Casemiro is no slouch. He does better defensively on almost all metrics and is well ahead offensively than both.

He is simply a better player.
Caicedo is faster, better stamina, better at running with the ball. Casemiro is superion in terms of anticipation and tackling I think (as long as he doesn't need to chase).

That is peak Caicedo (last season) vs peak Casemiro (part of last season). It might be Caicedo doesn't hold that level, but his skills are non questionable.

Casemiro might still be a better player this season, but Caicedo is a player worth that money IMO, we're missing out. He would actually fit perfectly into Ten Hag side.

Real Name

This is really bad news for us, that's now City, Arsenal and Liverpool with better squads than us. If the Casemiro-Bruno-Mount midfield doesn't work out we will be in big trouble considering our major weakness at 9 and that Antony isn't a great attacking contributor.

Good thing it's now top 5 not top 4 that gets into the CL because we have lost the arms race, our summer build now looks pedestrian/half-hearted.
Why does our build look half hearted exactly? Added 3 players in 3 positions where we lacked and maybe will add 2 more. One good transfer for Liverpool and our build is weak.. Strange.

mav_9me

People can get high on copium if they want, but I'm convinced this signing just put them back ahead of us this season.

I guess we'll find out over time who is right.
More than likely yes, I agree. But that doesn't mean those who are saying wait to see are wrong.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Brighton have absolutely rinsed Liverpool here, £110m valuation is laughable.
It's not a valuation though is it? It's what Liverpool themselves put forward in an actual auction, to get the deal done. That means it's what they valued the asset at, not Brighton. If Chelsea hadn't tried it on, he'd have been sold for less literally months ago.

Chairman Steve

I think the scousers are going to shut the feck up about their net spend stats and Coutinho money after this one :wenger:

Real Name

Depth isn't a huge issue when Klopp will just toss out the Europa League and cups whenever they cause issues to depth, like Arsenal did. I'd imagine they'll just address depth in a year and go full focus on the league.

Defence I don't think is a huge issue? Trent is class, he had a wobble but finished the season very strongly. Robertson and Tsimikas are pretty good at left back. Van dijk even still, Konate, Gomez, whoever else they have... It's not quite as good as it was but still a good back 4 IMO. And more importantly for any back 4 is to have a DM who can protect you with the right work rate around him, and they've got that now.

Caicedo and Mac Allister we already know click so I don't see that being a concern for them sadly. My hope is Szoboszlai is a flop, which could happen. Jones is good depth but they don't have any cover for Caicedo mainly.
Where do you see us this season?

As for Casemiro, nobody should underestimate him but it's being done here as we speak.

gajender

Well Liverpool and Arsenal also have major concerns about their midfield functionality and effectiveness , Only team we can confidently say would be there or there about is City Every body else have everything to prove .

Highfather_24

The reason I'm highlighting this, is our squad composition age wise is a bit weird. Tifo made a video about it recently :

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Disgusting news - not quite as bad as when Klopp joined them to begin with, but a similar feeling of dread :mad:

mav_9me

Caicedo is faster, better stamina, better at running with the ball. Casemiro is superion in terms of anticipation and tackling I think (as long as he doesn't need to chase).

That is peak Caicedo (last season) vs peak Casemiro (part of last season). It might be Caicedo doesn't hold that level, but his skills are non questionable.

Casemiro might still be a better player this season, but Caicedo is a player worth that money IMO, we're missing out. He would actually fit perfectly into Ten Hag side.
Not much we can do when he is going to cost 110m £. Not with the amount of rebuild we have to do.

Leg-End

Brilliant player, probably our best player last season, immense leader. But its only downhill from here, and by end of next season we need to replace him. We spend 70M on him, while our rivals got their future DM sorted for the next 10 years with Rice and Caicedo for a bit more.

I dont wanna pin all my hopes on Kobee Mainoo. I remember how when we were about to sign RvP, a lot of folks said he wasnt needed because he would block the development of Welbeck and Macheda. Academy players are always a gamble.
Short term yes, panic? No chance. Without Casemiro there is no chance we finish top 4 last season, it’s all well and good worrying about what others are doing now but at the time Casemiro was the signing to make.

ETH is resetting the club, this comes with buying and combining potential with experience. If we need a midfielder again next summer I’m pretty confident ETH will get what he wants.

bringbackbebe

So they didn't have 100m for Bellingham but they have 111m for Caicedo? It's now clear Bellingham desperately wanted to join Liverpool.

AneRu

Why does our build look half hearted exactly? Added 3 players in 3 positions where we lacked and maybe will add 2 more. One good transfer for Liverpool and our build is weak.. Strange.
There are question marks as to whether the Mount, Bruno and Case trio will hack it in the PL and the real world indications haven't been encouraging. If Mount fails or doesn't work out we are fecked, you know that. Hoijlund is still a couple of years away so besides Onana none of our signings is really proven for the level we need to compete at.

I'd be surprised if we are competitive in one on one games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Newcastle haven't really pulled away from us but they had better balance and were more solid than us until the last few games of the season. It looks and feels like we are bringing knives to a gun fight. After Amrabat, that is if we do get him, we need another forward signing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He’ll become a world class midfielder before long, he’s not far off that already. Gutted they’ve signed him.

mav_9me

The reason I'm highlighting this, is our squad composition age wise is a bit weird. Tifo made a video about it recently :

Apologies for not seeing the video before replying.

We had so much work to do on the squad, we can't fix the quality of squad/ team in 2 summer windows while also getting the age profile right. Having said that, other than Casemiro, every outfielder bought is 24 or younger. Even Onana at 27 is young for a GK. Not to mention bringing through Garnacho and Mainoo which also brings the age of the squad down.

Highfather_24

3 month old video.
Yes, but some of the points are still valid.

Short term yes, panic? No chance.
It was definitely a panic buy, after we lost both opening games we overpaid for Antony, and got Casemiro in after chasing FdJ all summer and failing to get him. It was a brilliant buy for last season, no doubt about it, but there are longer term concerns.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
He's basically a Real Madrid player already. Probably be there next summer.

Right?

Doracle

Nice signing but a bit nuts that he’s even more expensive than Rice. Huge money being spent in the premier league this summer.

Real Name

There are question marks as to whether the Mount, Bruno and Case trio will hack it in the PL and the real world indications haven't been encouraging. If Mount fails or doesn't work out we are fecked, you know that. Hoijlund is still a couple of years away so besides Onana none of our signings is really proven for the level we need to compete at.

I'd be surprised if we are competitive in one on one games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Newcastle haven't really pulled away from us but they had better balance and were more solid than us until the last few games of the season. It looks and feels like we are bringing knives to a gun fight. After Amrabat, that is if we do get him, we need another forward signing.
Every transfer is a risk and is yet to be seen if it will work out. Wouldn't say we're bringing knives cause our additions are yet to be proven.
I wouldn't base anything on preseason games. ETH knows what he wants, how he wants it and with which players.
I really don't get it how one Liverpool transfer can suddenly dampen the mood about our transfers do much.

OmarUnited4ever

Well Liverpool and Arsenal also have major concerns about their midfield functionality and effectiveness , Only team we can confidently say would be there or there about is City Every body else have everything to prove .
too many drama queens just because Liverpool signed Caicedo!!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

If Caicedo and Mac Allister follows the same path that other Brighton players who moved to bigger clubs (Bissouma, Cuccurella) and the Hungarian player follows the same path like their other signing from Red bull club then Liverpool are fecked too.

We can be pessimistic about Mount saying if he fails or optimistic about Mount citing his better seasons at Chelsea as a reference. What you have done is paint a doom and gloom picture for us with all possible bad situations for us and a bright future for rivals with 0% failure rate.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian

I dont wanna pin all my hopes on Kobee Mainoo. I remember how when we were about to sign RvP, a lot of folks said he wasnt needed because he would block the development of Welbeck and Hernandez. Academy players are always a gamble.
It doesn’t necessarily work out like that though. I’d be surprised if either of them are still at those respective clubs in 10 years. Caicedo is still a fairly unknown entity and both are pretty limited on the ball. They may not even be first choice in a couple of seasons or so.

I do agree that the fee for Casemiro was a big outlay for a 30 year old DM, however.

Real Name

If Caicedo and Mac Allister follows the same path that other Brighton players who moved to bigger clubs (Bissouma, Cuccurella) and the Hungarian player follows the same path like their other signing from Red bull club then Liverpool are fecked too.

We can be pessimistic about Mount saying if he fails or optimistic about Mount citing his better seasons at Chelsea as a reference. What you have done is paint a doom and gloom picture for us with all possible bad situations for us and a bright future for rivals with 0% failure rate.
Couldn't say it any better. All the transfers will work magically for all of our rivals and ours will fail disastrously.

Highfather_24

Apologies for not seeing the video before replying.

We had so much work to do on the squad, we can't fix the quality of squad/ team in 2 summer windows while also getting the age profile right. Having said that, other than Casemiro, every outfielder bought is 24 or younger. Even Onana at 27 is young for a GK. Not to mention bringing through Garnacho and Mainoo which also brings the age of the squad down.
I agree. We have done well with getting younger hungry players this summer, which is why I'm leaning towards Todibo over Pavard.

But just 3 years down the line, Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno will have their best years behind them. We will have Mount(27), Amrabat(30, maybe) and Mainoo(21). While Arsenal and Liverpool will have their midfield come into their prime. Meaning we will have to rebuild our midfield again to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.