Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbackbebe

Frankly, I love what Boehly is doing. Trolling with money, collecting players for the sake of it and pissing off rival clubs in the process while still being terrible at football. You somehow know deep inside these jokers will never be a threat with this approach, so if it tickles scousers even for a short while, I'd take it. I want Boehly's life.

Ronaldinho's snakebite

They're not benefiting from FFP any longer (someone correct me here if I'm wrong). New UEFA rules require clubs to amortize over a max of 5 year period, irrespective of the contract length and its kicked in effective 1 Jul this year. This 8 year contract has to do with the fact that they want to build a young stable team for the long term without revisiting contracts on a yearly basis.

Someone should tell them how football works in reality. If you fill up your squad with disgruntled figures of other teams, it'll only be a matter of time before the dressing room turns poisonous.
The only benefit is that the amortisation hits start after the first 3 years, presumably the player signs 8 years contract. So they get a ffp pass in the first 3 years. I could be wrong though.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why Chelsea always manage to get their players to sign 8 years contract.
The owners are baseball owners. It is common in baseball for young players to sign 8 year contracts. It allows a young player to develop in the first three years and then either be sold for profit or if he is progressing rapidly move to the first team. Most baseball players that are bought on a large contract are paid for by the sell of several developing players.

I don’t know if that model will work in the PL but they are doing what they do with the Dodgers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The owners are baseball owners. It is common in baseball for young players to sign 8 year contracts. It allows a young player to develop in the first three years and then either be sold for profit or if he is progressing rapidly move to the first team. Most baseball players that are bought on a large contract are paid for by the sell of several developing players.

I don’t know if that model will work in the PL but they are doing what they do with the Dodgers.
For the club, if the salary range isn't on high end, why not. But I don't understand why the players would accept that, as long contract will reduce their bargaining power in future.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Frankly, I love what Boehly is doing. Trolling with money, collecting players for the sake of it and pissing off rival clubs in the process while still being terrible at football. You somehow know deep inside these jokers will never be a threat with this approach, so if it tickles scousers even for a short while, I'd take it. I want Boehly's life.
Whilst advertently breaking the market and driving prices up for everyone else? Let's say we are serious in pursuit of Ferguson and intend to throw our hat in the ring for him in the next year or two, because of Boehly, we're going to have to pay literally 10's of millions more than we otherwise would have had.

It's fantastic for Chelsea, oil/state clubs and the selling club, but it's awful for everybody else because they exist in the same ecosystem and still have to contest in a market that sees what's going on and sets its prices from/because of it.

Jam

For the club, if the salary range isn't on high end, why not. But I don't understand why the players would accept that, as long contract will reduce their bargaining power in future.
Guaranteed income regardless of fitness of performance is a pretty convicting factor.

Also regardless of contract length player power still exists to degree in terms of forcing a move, or potentially forcing a move in order to renegotiate the contract.

These 8-year contracts will also have somewhat of a revolving door policy. Players will be sold to finance further moves. Look at Mount, it wasn’t as if he was forcing a move or that Chelsea wanted rid of him; they just saw an opportunity to move him on.

We also don’t know the finer points of these contracts and what clauses may exist.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As long as he is not your clubs owner you love to see it.

Monks_United

I have lived in Georgia for 30 years. Been a Braves fan for a lot years. I think the Braves are a better team year after year, but I really don’t want to have a playoff series with the Dodgers, they are a very well run club and they always have top talent replace top talent. They do exit the playoffs usually as the favorites in their series…. as do we when we exit. Chelsea’s owners are really good baseball guys, time will tell if what the bring is good enough for the Premier League. They have shown with the Dodgers, they always are building for the future while trying to win now. They can outspend about everyone in baseball bar the Yankees as they cash in on the LA media market. Atlanta is a good media market, but nowhere near the cash flow of LA.
Followed all of 2 years of baseball since shifting to the US and more specifically to Atlanta. Gotta say that you’re right about what I’ve seen of the Dodgers this far. The Braves are great but can’t mess with what the Dodgers have done

bringbackbebe

Whilst advertently breaking the market and driving prices up for everyone else? Let's say we are serious in pursuit of Ferguson and intend to throw our hat in the ring for him in the next year or two, because of Boehly, we're going to have to pay literally 10's of millions more than we otherwise would have had. We can not survive if our strategy is to get Ferguson next year.

It's fantastic for Chelsea, oil/state clubs and the selling club, but it's awful for everybody else because they exist in the same ecosystem and still have to contest in a market that sees what's going on and sets its prices from/because of it.
The word "fair" was broken long time ago, first by Chelsea then by PSG and the final nail in that coffin was City under Abu Dhabi. At least till Abrahamovich took over, every club inherently had some financial fair play benchmarks since capital was not infinitely free and clubs that broke it, like Leeds, went bankrupt and had to suffer. Since at least 2003, there's been some disruptive force in the market every season that's been driving prices higher and higher and prices going further is inevitable.

Smart clubs like Brighton, Dortmund, Leipzig etc take advantage of it by being selling clubs and having a model around this unfairness. Smarter buying clubs like City get around this by building a strong academy and selling their players for a fortune to fund more expensive buys. Madrid/Barca's model is to get teenagers from South America in early due to their scouting.

Other clubs like us/Liverpool/Arsenal/Munich etc who aren't very good at being either here nor there have to work out a different approach to succeed. Evolution takes no prisoners.

cyberman

Watched a few videos of Liverpool fans re-acting to this and they simply aren’t taking it well.
I still can’t quite understand how turning down the highest bidder, who only came in for him 48 hours ago, and going to the club he gave his word to makes him a mercenary but there you go.
They’ve also taken out their anger on “Chelsea’s mouth piece” Romano for whatever reason.
As a fanbase they’re hurting right now

Judas

Open to offers
The damage Chelsea have done to transfer fees in just a couple of window absolute fecks it for most teams, it's not funny in the long term.

Highfather_24

Watched a few videos of Liverpool fans re-acting to this and they simply aren’t taking it well.
I still can’t quite understand how turning down the highest bidder, who only came in for him 48 hours ago, and going to the club he gave his word to makes him a mercenary but there you go.
They’ve also taken out their anger on “Chelsea’s mouth piece” Romano for whatever reason.
As a fanbase they’re hurting right now
You love to see it :drool:

cyberman

The damage Chelsea have done to transfer fees in just a couple of window absolute fecks it for most teams, it's not funny in the long term.
Isn’t this instance on Liverpool though? They’ve forced an extra 15m on the fee by trying to be Billy Big Bollox and come in with an insane 111m hijack attempt. Chelsea have won simply because the player wants the move and are now forced to bid higher because Liverpool have stupidly decided not to step away

Judas

Open to offers
Isn’t this instance on Liverpool though? They’ve forced an extra 15m on the fee by trying to be Billy Big Bollox and come in with an insane 111m hijack attempt. Chelsea have won simply because the player wants the move and are now forced to bid higher because Liverpool have stupidly decided not to step away
But the price to begin win doesn't go that high without the nonsense of Chelsea's willingness to pay so much for Enzo, and I'm sure the Rice price hasn't helped this summer too. Liverpool bid a lot, but simply just doing what they could to buy him. They're probably the biggest idiots overall.

cyberman

But the price to begin win doesn't go that high without the nonsense of Chelsea's willingness to pay so much for Enzo, and I'm sure the Rice price hasn't helped this summer too. Liverpool bid a lot, but simply just doing what they could to buy him. They're probably the biggest idiots overall.
Oh I agree with Enzo but the midfielder market went mad before them and since, it’s not even Chelsea’s faults since they seem to have bought 8385 players and only Enzo for midfield.
I saw a point made that if Liverpool were successful here they would have spent 280m odd in a calendar year where they failed to reach the CL. Their purchase of Nunez is madder than Chelsea signing Enzo imo. At least Enzo performed at , and won, the World Cup.
Both club lost the plot a little bit

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Interesting point raised earlier about the longer contracts. You can see how a player gets on for a few years and I'd they do great and want to go to Madrid you still have them with 5 years left so the sale price is high. Downside if they are bad or get a terrible injury, you're stuck with them for a very long time

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting point raised earlier about the longer contracts. You can see how a player gets on for a few years and I'd they do great and want to go to Madrid you still have them with 5 years left so the sale price is high. Downside if they are bad or get a terrible injury, you're stuck with them for a very long time
The Naby Keita phenomenon. :nervous: :(

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s a weird one though. Sure you have to respect him keeping his word I guess. But why would any player in their right mind prefer joining this crazy Chelsea team over a Liverpool team run by Klopp? Liverpool have a hole in their team that he would plug perfectly so it just makes very little sense why he doesn’t fancy that? Maybe he really is a massive Utd fan and doesn’t want to burn all his bridges with Utd in the hope we can sign him in the future.

Hoof the ball

Chelsea were the ones who fecked it in the first place too when Abramovic joined.

They're a weird club. Hollow. There's something empty about them. Even their PL rivalries are hollow. Spuds and Arsenal hate each other and you've got Chelsea fans like, "You hate us too, right?"

They're just..... There.

Redcy

The only benefit is that the amortisation hits start after the first 3 years, presumably the player signs 8 years contract. So they get a ffp pass in the first 3 years. I could be wrong though.
I don’t think you can do that in the regulations that would obviously be a massive loophole, but maybe Chelsea think they can see some sort of legal loophole here?

ShinjiNinja26

If anyone’s bored head over to RAWK and have a look at their transfer thread, it makes for some excellent reading. You can follow the Caicedo saga from the absolute elation that they’ve hijacked the deal and signed him for a British record transfer fee all the way to the pain and misery of the gradual realisation that he’s snubbed them and made the club and Klopp look like right mugs! It’s hilarious. :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The word "fair" was broken long time ago, first by Chelsea then by PSG and the final nail in that coffin was City under Abu Dhabi. At least till Abrahamovich took over, every club inherently had some financial fair play benchmarks since capital was not infinitely free and clubs that broke it, like Leeds, went bankrupt and had to suffer. Since at least 2003, there's been some disruptive force in the market every season that's been driving prices higher and higher and prices going further is inevitable.

Smart clubs like Brighton, Dortmund, Leipzig etc take advantage of it by being selling clubs and having a model around this unfairness. Smarter buying clubs like City get around this by building a strong academy and selling their players for a fortune to fund more expensive buys. Madrid/Barca's model is to get teenagers from South America in early due to their scouting.

Other clubs like us/Liverpool/Arsenal/Munich etc who aren't very good at being either here nor there have to work out a different approach to succeed. Evolution takes no prisoners.
What you’re saying makes no sense. The history should remain such and not be built upon and worsened; everyone knows what Abramovich did, and we know what City and PSG have done, but that shouldn’t be some gateway to even worse times, which Boehly is purposely ushering in. He is being laughed at as some fool, but there’s at least partial method to the madness and Chelsea have very quickly emerged as a reckless shark in amongst lesser, predatory fish I.e. if Chelsea involve themselves and you’re not a proverbial whale (state/oil) or some gladiatorial shark yourself (Real, Bayern and Barca to an extent), you’re stepping aside (see how they’ve savaged Liverpool) before the blunderbuss obliterates you and your budget.

These smart clubs you refer to aren’t challenging for titles, or in the German clubs’ sense, it’s not their primary objective. In other words, and pointing to what was written above, they aren’t there to fight with the shark for ”food” rather offer it up once they’ve had their fill. Great, someone always profits in times of chaos and disruption, that’s not news, but others suffer, and in this sense we can say “suffer” because it’s not do or die, but it’s still an absolutely disruptive and negative force driving the whole market into far murkier waters than anyone pre-Boehly foresaw. This guy is a blubbering force of nature - and once the dust settles, that will be processed because everyone else will pick up the pieces.

It’s all shits and giggles watching Liverpool get ran through, but the smiles will be all theirs once it’s us tussling with Chelsea for a player or two.

I didn’t wake up expecting to make lazy, aquatic analogies. -_-

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It’s a weird one though. Sure you have to respect him keeping his word I guess. But why would any player in their right mind prefer joining this crazy Chelsea team over a Liverpool team run by Klopp? Liverpool have a hole in their team that he would plug perfectly so it just makes very little sense why he doesn’t fancy that? Maybe he really is a massive Utd fan and doesn’t want to burn all his bridges with Utd in the hope we can sign him in the future.
Chelsea are a juggernaut of sorts that aren’t reliant on the genius of any one man propping them up. Liverpool, as things stand, are at the behest of their manager and once he goes, everything is up in the air; as we’ve seen at Chelsea, players get paid and more enticed in utterly irrespective of who is at the helm or even in full knowledge that whoever they’ve gone to work under mightn’t even see out any given season. In terms of security as a player, it’s a no-brainer who you pick - Liverpool are as short-term as Klopp’s desire to stay, and the irascible German could say feck all this at any time as he’s already fed up and the competition is only intensifying with even Arsenal showing their big budget fangs and other top clubs looking to get their acts together and compete in a manner Klopp’s not experienced since being in England.

Liverpool’s golden era is already over and the romance of that side who were so close to winning everything, is dead. That was their last period of great influence, especially over a club like Chelsea, who still manage to win stuff whilst being in almost total disarray.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Chelsea are a juggernaut of sorts that aren’t reliant on the genius of any one man propping them up. Liverpool, as things stand, are at the behest of their manager and once he goes, everything is up in the air; as we’ve seen at Chelsea, players get paid and more enticed in utterly irrespective of who is at the helm or even in full knowledge that whoever they’ve gone to work under mightn’t even see out any given season. In terms of security as a player, it’s a no-brainer who you pick - Liverpool are as short-term as Klopp’s desire to stay, and the irascible German could say feck all this at any time as he’s already fed up and the competition is only intensifying with even Arsenal showing their big budget fangs and other top clubs looking to get their acts together and compete in a manner Klopp’s not experienced since being in England.

Liverpool’s golden era is already over and the romance of that side who were so close to winning everything, is dead. That was their last period of great influence, especially over a club like Chelsea, who still manage to win stuff whilst being in almost total disarray.
All of that was true of Chelsea under Abromovic. Can you honestly say that will be the case under Bohley. They have been batshit in the transfer market scattergunning here there and everywhere. Remains to be seen how they transition into this new era, but the signs are Liverpool are currently a far better bet than Chelsea.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Chelsea were the ones who fecked it in the first place too when Abramovic joined.

They're a weird club. Hollow. There's something empty about them. Even their PL rivalries are hollow. Spuds and Arsenal hate each other and you've got Chelsea fans like, "You hate us too, right?"

They're just..... There.
Not sure about that; their rivalry with Liverpool has been palpable ever since Mourinho and Benitez went to war - there’s real bad blood between the clubs and this round of activity will exacerbate it. Chelsea are very happy being the wind-up merchants who get under everybody’s skin whilst doing their own thing… like a honey badger doing its daily rounds.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
All of that was true of Chelsea under Abromovic. Can you honestly say that will be the case under Bohley. They have been batshit in the transfer market scattergunning here there and everywhere. Remains to be seen how they transition into this new era, but the signs are Liverpool are currently a far better bet than Chelsea.
Like I said, the past should be the past and the market had period of normalcy since, until others went and fecked it again. We shouldn’t be applauding Boehly coming and ushering a new wave of madness or so short-sighted as to not see what he is doing and why he’s doing it. Every player is €100m now, and every selling club knows to ask for something stupid because of what he’s doing. Buying clubs have to play along or simply miss out - we’re beneficiaries of their fire sale the other way, so it mightn’t hit now, but the next window of transfers (if we don’t attempt a big move between now and the end of this window) will impact us in a newly driven market.

With regard to right here and now, you’re still talking about Klopp and his enthusiasm for the task, which could be as abruptly over as this season. Are players going to make 5-year investments backing him or a club that handles chaos in its stride and still entices top players and manages to win things (whilst paying more, lest we forget that)? If I’m an agent, it’s an easy choice to make or suggest to my client.

Hoof the ball

Not sure about that; their rivalry with Liverpool has been palpable ever since Mourinho and Benitez went to war - there’s real bad blood between the clubs and this round of activity will exacerbate it. Chelsea are very happy being the wind-up merchants who get under everybody’s skin whilst doing their own thing… like a honey badger doing its daily rounds.
It's just more third wheel, though, isn't it? Another rivalry with a team that has a greater rivalry with another club already.

It all sort of plays into the Chelsea "We've got no history" jibe. They've not got their own thing.

90 + 5min

Hillarious with those numbers. How anybody can think otherwise is beyond me. This is like bying a CocaCola for £10000 when you can buy the same for 3£ in store near you.

I though we were wierd for throwing money on average players like Pogba and DeMaria. This summer we got clubs throwing on average players like Rice and Caicedo for even more. You got to laugh at this point.

Plastic Evra

The "fairness" pre-Abramovitch was already somewhat relative. By that point the whole system of European football was already drifting and Real moved to the Galacticos concept.

This Choehsly iteration is an escalation for sure, especially if they keep at it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's just more third wheel, though, isn't it? Another rivalry with a team that has a greater rivalry with another club already.

It all sort of plays into the Chelsea "We've got no history" jibe. They've not got their own thing.
Chelsea drove us to our best ever team and period of peak performance; whilst they were at the top, they did the same for others and that might still come around again if Pochettino is as good as billed. I think not only are they an annoying thorn in the side of those they’ve competed against, they remain staunch and steadfast in what they always were, which was the disruptive, little club who really wound others up - Denis Wise is the spirit animal of that club, for me. I think they’re very happy with their role, and they’re brilliant at it. Can any other club in the league upset so many others with so few actions? It’s quite something, if you think about it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The "fairness" pre-Abramovitch was already somewhat relative. By that point the whole system of European football was already drifting and Real moved to the Galacticos concept.

This Choehsly iteration is an escalation for sure, especially if they keep at it.
Why would they not? Fiddling the books on the back end via sales to Saudi Arabia ensures this can go on for quite some time, or at least until the loophole is shored up. Next window or two, do the same in other positions and eventually they’ll have the team they wanted whilst everyone else bemoans their shenanigans. I think clubs will start working on Ferguson from now as a result of this new wave of activity as when the time comes, things will be even worse than they are now and unless the player has been swayed already, the all-out bedlam of bidding directly for him will not favour most other clubs or even be seen as desirable.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What he’s doing is spending the money that he committed to spending during the purchase of the club. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the transfer budget once that predetermined transfer pot is gone. Probably why they are signing young players on long term deals

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Whilst advertently breaking the market and driving prices up for everyone else? Let's say we are serious in pursuit of Ferguson and intend to throw our hat in the ring for him in the next year or two, because of Boehly, we're going to have to pay literally 10's of millions more than we otherwise would have had.

If the recent transfers have cause inflation you're not exactly an innocent party (Shaktar's chairman openly stated he used Anthony as a benchmark in Mudryk negotiations).

But you wouldn't have got Ferguson on the cheap regardless (unless you ran down his deal), Bloom is very much up there with the Napoli chairman when it comes to driving hard bargains.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea drove us to our best ever team and period of peak performance; whilst they were at the top,
And as much as I hated how he robbed us of turning the PL into 2012-2020 Serie A I had a lot of respect for how Fergie wouldn't rest until he found a way to beat us.

Meanwhile these days all of City's 'competitors' are acting like there's four winners.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If the recent transfers have cause inflation you're not exactly an innocent party (Shaktar's chairman openly stated he used Anthony as a benchmark in Mudryk negotiations).

But you wouldn't have got Ferguson on the cheap regardless (unless you ran down his deal), Bloom is very much up there with the Napoli chairman when it comes to driving hard bargains.
We’re not innocent, no. But a stupidly overinflated purchase in isolation cannot drive a whole market, rather, the club doing so gets laughed at or marvelled for (based on success/failure). See a Maguire or Nunez or even an AWB doing nothing to sway the market, but when the activity becomes the mean, the bar is set and everyone has to adhere to it or miss out. None of the above were the going rate for a player of such calibre and neither did they become so. The market doesn’t wish to compound disaster, but the price for upcoming hot talent is changing rapidly because of what you’re doing. From your perspective, it’s brilliant, or at least it ensures you get what you set your eyes on.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
You also have the London factor too. Probably a decent sized Ecuadorean diaspora there too.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Finished my morning 7 a side. Absolutely knackered. No bid sent yet? The tweets last night were promising but still not delivered.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
at what point do Chelsea actually make an offer? bit weird how much they are stalling on this whilst simultaneously negotiating with Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.