Moises Caicedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Still only 20 years old and has bossed our midfield twice playing for Brighton. He's a player that can be utilised in several roles in midfield and does have the ability to pick a pass and potentially progress play to a good level.

He's quick, tenacious and agile along with showing promise on the ball. We were linked to him in January 2021, and it seems the club's scouting in South America (led by Jose Mayorga) were sold on the player and unfortunately we decided not to sign the player for about €5m. But I do think the decision to join Brighton at 18, was the correct one. Because if he arrived at United, he likely wouldn't have been deemed good enough to start ahead of McFred and would've been loaned out. Brighton also loaned him out for a short period to the Belgian top tier before recalling him for the second half of the season and he started to show glimpses of his talent.

He now seems to be a regular fixture in the team and it will be interesting to follow his development at Brighton. The player has gone on record in the past about how he dreams of playing for Man United, so i'm personally going to follow Brighton and specifically Caicedo to see how he does.

Last edited:

city-puma

He was the sensation here a year or two ago after watching his goal in wc qualification game. Everyone here wanted to sign him but the club somehow decided not to pursue him. They were saying it’s too complicated to sign him and then suddenly Brighton signed him. Unbelievable…

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Said in the match day thread, I’m sure like many others, this man was sublime on Sunday. Barely put a foot out of place and had our midfield in his back pocket.

luke511

This one takes the piss, everyone on the forum could see how big a talent he was, for an incredibly cheap fee yet united said no. The club’s run by a bunch of cnuts, a red cafe voting system would have the club in a better position.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
This one takes the piss, everyone on the forum could see how big a talent he was, for an incredibly cheap fee yet united said no. The club’s run by a bunch of cnuts, a red cafe voting system would have the club in a better position.
That's clearly nonsense. He was a complete unknown, a punt by Brighton. It worked out very well for them, but it's not like he was the obvious next superstar we decided to pass on

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Hadn't clocked his age when I was watching him rip your mid to shreds. That's nuts, at 20, to produce a performance like that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
100%. That's the maddening thing about Man Utd. The club acts like improving our squad would take billions. Yet constantly overlooks gettable players like Alvarez and Caicedo who would cost you less than a top Championship player.

Its hard to think we wouldn't be doing much better with a more qualified Sporting Director in place.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez. We should’ve been all over both. Instead we’ll be linked with them for 100m each soon.

city-puma

That's clearly nonsense. He was a complete unknown, a punt by Brighton. It worked out very well for them, but it's not like he was the obvious next superstar we decided to pass on
As I remember, he was just 18 at that time, in his national team as starter. Scores the critical goal against Uruguay I think? Already very physical and very athletic like we have seen since the second part of last season.
the quoted price was around 6mil So it is definitely not a real risk at all. There is a huge thread here with almost everyone wanted to sign him.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
As I remember, he was just 18 at that time, in his national team as starter. Scores the critical goal against Uruguay I think? Already very physical and very athletic like we have seen since the second part of last season.
the quoted price was around 6mil So it is definitely not a real risk at all. There is a huge thread here with almost everyone wanted to sign him.
Yeah I remember, but he still played in South America, so it's easy to see why people thought he may be one of the numerous guys from there we get linked with where nothing concrete ever materialises.

People became even more eager once Brighton signed him, but United and AC Milan walked away due to a complex agency situation, while Brighton had former relationship with (one of) his agent.

Of course hindsight is a bitch and we should've taken the punt, but we get linked with so many rather unknown players from over there that I really can't blame the club for not following through. Was about time one of them came back to bite us :D

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He obviously had talent and when we were linked with him he’d stared for his national team and the majority on here were all in for signing him. Sometimes it’s worth taking a punt. Especially for £10m or whatever it was.

United don’t do that enough on these younger lesser known players.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He obviously had talent and when we were linked with him he’d stared for his national team and the majority on here were all in for signing him. Sometimes it’s worth taking a punt. Especially for £10m or whatever it was.

Maybe we should, the potential can be very exciting for fans. But this guy aside, how many of them that went on to be successful did we really miss out on? Maybe Alvarez, but bit early for that still

GledTheRed

Another one slips the net, will sign for Chelsea next summer when they move on Kante in a deal that takes them fives minutes to conclude.

luke511

Yeah I remember, but he still played in South America, so it's easy to see why people thought he may be one of the numerous guys from there we get linked with where nothing concrete ever materialises.

People became even more eager once Brighton signed him, but United and AC Milan walked away due to a complex agency situation, while Brighton had former relationship with (one of) his agent.

Of course hindsight is a bitch and we should've taken the punt, but we get linked with so many rather unknown players from over there that I really can't blame the club for not following through. Was about time one of them came back to bite us :D
You should, if it was obvious to all of us that he’d be a great signing given his price, talent and position.

M16Red

I think it was 6 mill, well nothing new to see here - just our usual incompetence.

@dinostar77

Todays Transfer Window podcast Duncan Castles said Utd pulled out of the deal due to agent difficulties. The deal was £6mil plus 20% sell on clause. Brighton have just hit these difficulties as the agent representing the player isnt the offical agent for the player as registered with the ecuadorian FA.

So still a two horse race at moment between Brighton and Newcastle. If it wasnt for Covid and agent difficulties, castles would expect more clubs to be interested. Top scouts say he has potential to be a top top talent ala Kante at Chelsea

LInkash

Would probably be in similar situation to Amad and Pellistri

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Would probably be in similar situation to Amad and Pellistri
Pellistri is a very good example to counter the claims we never take such punts. But it's just that, most times they don't work out, when they do you look a bit stupid

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Someone in the matchday thread called him average if I recall correctly.

cnwo

We would have struggled to develop him like Brighton have let’s be honest. Pellistri or Amad at Brighton would most likely look like real players as well if they’d have had potter the last two years

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The issue is United continue to behave like they're contenders, and not in a critical rebuilding stage. I would have thought the first thing Ten Haag would do was to get rid of the big egos but it seems like rebuilding with kids and some sane heads isn't his thing.

Oranges038

If I remember correctly. Several clubs were in for him, but he had 2 or 3 different agents or some crap and nobody knew who to deal with.

Brighton were the only ones who stuck it out and sorted the deal. For the money they were paying it was worth it for them to do that. Where as Utd think they can afford to leave it, see how he develops and if he's worth it splash 40 or 50m at him in a couple of years.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think what people need to remember with these transfers is the pathway to the first team and the buzz around the club. Brighton are arguably the best run club in football and the safest prospect for me if I'm a young talent wanting to play in the PL. They have a manager and ethos you can trust.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think what people need to remember with these transfers is the pathway to the first team and the buzz around the club. Brighton are arguably the best run club in football and the safest prospect for me if I'm a young talent wanting to play in the PL. They have a manager and ethos you can trust.
They are certainly a good club to join.
However, we decided not to pursue the deal

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’ll be better than Bissouma in the long run. He can actually pass the ball forwards.

Jack-C20

He did indeed look brilliant on Sunday. However as others have said, he wouldn’t have got the chances here like he has at Brighton. Also, how many opposition midfielders have we made look brilliant due to our lack of midfield?

Still wish we took a punt on him though.

Idxomer

We would have struggled to develop him like Brighton have let’s be honest. Pellistri or Amad at Brighton would most likely look like real players as well if they’d have had potter the last two years
Exactly, United wasted a year of Amad's development because they went for him too late in the window.

Brighton had a plan for Caicedo, United are just making it up as they go.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I mean, he'd have obviously picked us if we went for him, as great as Brighton are.

It's infuriating, we always seem to miss out on these talents. No doubt we'll be in a fecking £80m bidding war with Chelsea next summer for him now.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I mean, he'd have obviously picked us if we went for him, as great as Brighton are.

It's infuriating, we always seem to miss out on these talents. No doubt we'll be in a fecking £80m bidding war with Chelsea next summer for him now.
We don't, we sign them from time to time and loan them to Alaves where they never play

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He did indeed look brilliant on Sunday. However as others have said, he wouldn’t have got the chances here like he has at Brighton. Also, how many opposition midfielders have we made look brilliant due to our lack of midfield?

How ?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

He has been looked very good in a lot of their games, not just against us
And its a bit odd that he wouldn't have got chances at United with the lack of quality we have in midfield, but you're probably right.

Skills

Snitch

We signed Hannibal at a similar stage. We just have no idea on how to develop these players.

Matt851

Possibly but neither seemed to have as much experience as him before they joined. They also don't have his physique

Amad in particular is mystifying given his tiny frame and lack of game time

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

It's not 'obvious' at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.