Gaming Monster Hunter World

Grib

I’ve given it a once over. Just finished killing him this minute took 28 minutes so they’ve for sure upped his HP as tempered Vaal normally takes like 10 at most. He can pretty much almost 1 shot you with anything and his roar and wind pressure I think hold you longer because he lined me up a few times for that charge. I went through a tonne of mega potions.

The hard part is that it’s not in the normal fighting Vaal area. He is up on the hill with all the effluvia so your health is constantly just coming down and I think it damages you more than usual. Throw in an ODG that keeps popping up and it’s good fun. Oh and when he limps back to his nest he doesn’t sleep where he normally sleeps. He kips down in the poisonous water stuff so if you want to barrel him you have to take that hit.

He’s a lot more aggressive and does that breath thing a lot. He does rain stream stones and I just got 4 sullied ones off of him.
Yeah been reading hit hit boxes are bigger and about the location change

People are calling it cheap, but they had to do something guys a joke otherwise

Going to give him a blast later

Andersons Dietician

Yeah been reading hit hit boxes are bigger and about the location change

People are calling it cheap, but they had to do something guys a joke otherwise

Going to give him a blast later
Yeah his hit boxes are massive. I got caught by a wing tip as he was jumping across and it took like half my health. Crafted the clearmind charm which took a Teostra and Vaal Gem to combat the effulvia thing. It seems to work quite well until Vaal leaves his crap all over the place.

Got a decent group of people and just smashed them out so fought him like 5 times now. The streamstones he was firing out the first few times dried up but I did get two Vaal gems off him, no hero stones, all seemed to be sullied ones. Did get a sullied lance stone.

Andersons Dietician

How does this work as the description isn't clear

Says it nullifies damage from efful where as the other skill says prevents build up

I assume you still take damage or that would be broken
At the moment I have the full effulvia build up and the effulvia expert.

I think the difference is that the Miamasa jewels prevent like that blight if he hits you with his smog. I was hoping the clearmind helped prevent the life loss you get fighting him close quarters. Was hoping it’ll do the same for Lunastra as you take heat damage from him also.

I just did a quick test running through the vale and it stops that smog from taking life so I’m guessing the heat guard is the same for elders recess so you don’t have to take that chill potion. Not sure if it does anything vs Vaal as his body smog still seems to do damage. Probably best just to use a dragon weapon with elder seal to remove that crap as it takes loads of your life. You really have to keep an eye on your health bar as he didn’t even hit me for a while and it took me down to a quarter life.

Edit; tested it in the elders recess and yeah no need for the chill potion.

Last edited:

Grib

At the moment I have the full effulvia build up and the effulvia expert.

I think the difference is that the Miamasa jewels prevent like that blight if he hits you with his smog. I was hoping the clearmind helped prevent the life loss you get fighting him close quarters. Was hoping it’ll do the same for Lunastra as you take heat damage from him also.

I just did a quick test running through the vale and it stops that smog from taking life so I’m guessing the heat guard is the same for elders recess so you don’t have to take that chill potion. Not sure if it does anything vs Vaal as his body smog still seems to do damage. Probably best just to use a dragon weapon with elder seal to remove that crap as it takes loads of your life. You really have to keep an eye on your health bar as he didn’t even hit me for a while and it took me down to a quarter life.

Edit; tested it in the elders recess and yeah no need for the chill potion.
Ive a long sword augumented I haven't used, might put it on my rath ls with health regen then run some recover up, health boost etc

Andersons Dietician

Ive a long sword augumented I haven't used, might put it on my rath ls with health regen then run some recover up, health boost etc
Yeah health regen and that probably counter the affects of that cloud around him.

I’m currently trying to make a hunting horn build. Not got the hang of how the tunes work yet but seems cool with the wide range at full. Already saved some lives. Trying to use the Vaal hazak stuff I just got and 2 Lunastra parts but it ain’t really working. Need more gem slots so I can load up expert jewels as even with affinity augment it’s at -20%

Grib

First go solod

He banged me using long sword so switched to Luna glaive (never used ig in Vaal fight before) and took him down with easy

Gem(ofocourse) ticket and a hammer augument, chuffed

Andersons Dietician

He banged me using long sword
This sentence seems all sorts of wrong :lol:

Nice I need more hammer augments for me horn, decided I like it because if I play the attack boost XL encore it makes my attack like 1600+ not to mention you can play that fast movement song.

He’s pretty much just normal Vaal once you read his moves it’s a bit of a cake walk just takes longer. Although I saw a bow do it in 4 minutes. What the hell is with bows being like the solo fast time weapon of choice.

Marcelinho87

Just paid 15 quid for this and it comes early next week... no idea what I got myself into so any tips?

Never played a MH game before.

Grib

This sentence seems all sorts of wrong :lol:
Yeah lol but that's what happened, could manoeuvre, hadn't played ls in awhile

1600 attack :wenger:

Just paid 15 quid for this and it comes early next week... no idea what I got myself into so any tips?

Never played a MH game before.
Many many many tips, take your time, don't try to take on board too much at once, find a weapon you like and learn the main moves combos and strats from YouTube

Take your time and enjoy the ride, no need to rush through the 'story'

Do you optionals, then just ask questions cause the game doesn't tell you much

Andersons Dietician

Yeah lol but that's what happened, could manoeuvre, hadn't played ls in awhile

1600 attack :wenger:

Many many many tips, take your time, don't try to take on board too much at once, find a weapon you like and learn the main moves combos and strats from YouTube

Take your time and enjoy the ride, no need to rush through the 'story'

Do you optionals, then just ask questions cause the game doesn't tell you much
I want to try longsword. It was the first weapon I started with, switched it when you first come across the ajnath.
Horn
Bow
Longsword that’s this months order. Went back to duel blades recently and I sucked.

@Marcelinho87 need any advice on anything just ask buddy.

Tip 1, use gathering hub
Tip 2, set up pre loads for equipment and armour
Tip 3, start harvesting or growing honey, bitter bugs, flash bugs, adamant seeds, might seeds
Tip 4 buy the power charm and defence charm from the geezer on top of the stack of boxes as soon as you can and set them in item pouch/preset.
Tip 5, you can set up potions and stuff in a radial menu which saves loads of time whilst fighting. Saves you from having to troll along looking for a health potion.

Have a tonne more but those are fairly solid and should stand you in good stead.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Fifteen quid is a steal.

I bought it for £49 a week after release having never played MH before.

200 hours later I was glad I tried it. I've had a break for the last couple of months but I'll be going back to it soon for sure as loads of stuff I still want to craft.

Definitely take your time though and stick to one weapon at first.

Marcelinho87

And overwhelmed I was! Only done the very first quest but jeez is there loads to learn..

Looks good but the combat does feel a little clunky.

Andersons Dietician

And overwhelmed I was! Only done the very first quest but jeez is there loads to learn..

If you were to read my first review on this thread I say the same thing, in time you’ll start to kinda use your attack moves for certain weapons to reposition yourself and it just feels more natural, Evade is often helpful to put yourself in a position instead of walking to it.

Marcelinho87

If you were to read my first review on this thread I say the same thing, in time you’ll start to kinda use your attack moves for certain weapons to reposition yourself and it just feels more natural, Evade is often helpful to put yourself in a position instead of walking to it.
Just fought some great Jagras thing that was fun.

Grib

It does at first, just gotta get used to it a bit

What are you using

Andersons Dietician

@Andersons Dietician have you crafted the gamma armour, I only remembered bout it last night.. those gem slots...
Yeah, I think I’ve got the full set, can’t recall. Been super busy all week so haven’t really been able to get on. Still got to finish the weekly task thing so I better get on that soon.

Tempted to start Lunastra farming again. Oh I heard as well they might be doing a mission where you take on 3 arch tempered elders in one mission, i’d Imagine it’s in the elders recess and it being Nerg, Teostra and Kushala. That’ll be entertaining. Kushala is a pain in my ass with his stupid fecking hurricane rubbish. It was all good until they nerfed the flash pods.

Grib

Yeah, I think I’ve got the full set, can’t recall. Been super busy all week so haven’t really been able to get on. Still got to finish the weekly task thing so I better get on that soon.

Tempted to start Lunastra farming again. Oh I heard as well they might be doing a mission where you take on 3 arch tempered elders in one mission, i’d Imagine it’s in the elders recess and it being Nerg, Teostra and Kushala. That’ll be entertaining. Kushala is a pain in my ass with his stupid fecking hurricane rubbish. It was all good until they nerfed the flash pods.
Hmm interesting, I imagine it'll be easier depending on the time limit as they share a health pool ineffect

Andersons Dietician

Hmm interesting, I imagine it'll be easier depending on the time limit as they share a health pool ineffect
Yeah have you done the shining star mission yet? I put it off for ages but it’s actually piss easy. Had killed all 3 tempered elders in under 20 mins. First attempt some dude did die when we had limped the final monster home causing us to fail the quest.
Have you tried many of the arena quests yet?

Grib

Yeah have you done the shining star mission yet? I put it off for ages but it’s actually piss easy. Had killed all 3 tempered elders in under 20 mins. First attempt some dude did die when we had limped the final monster home causing us to fail the quest.
Have you tried many of the arena quests yet?
That's the hr100 mission? I'm not there yet

Arena lol like once, I'll have to go back at some point as there's sone cool stuff

Grib

Got to say, I really like the AT Vaal fight, it has a nice balance

He's not a mobile but you still have to be careful and wait for the openings to unleash the heavy stuff

You get complacent and he'll drop you (mostly because of the gas but still)

Andersons Dietician

Got to say, I really like the AT Vaal fight, it has a nice balance

He's not a mobile but you still have to be careful and wait for the openings to unleash the heavy stuff

You get complacent and he'll drop you (mostly because of the gas but still)
Agreed it just seemed better, still once you read his moves then it’s still kinda piss easy except that if you don’t have vitality gems he can 1 shot you with ease. That stand up gas bomb he does that sends you flying, that thing is nasty.

Away to go farm Lunastra now, better be some damn gems. Also saw this, it’s pretty much duel blades in a nutshell.

Andersons Dietician

There are two challenge quests right now, one called best of the best which is fight,Teostra,Kushala and Nergergante in the big arena. The other one is Tempered Nerg in the small arena but the armour you get is the rarity 4/5 stuff. The leather equipment... they give you absolutely rubbish weapons jut for a boost.

Summer or twilight event is supposedly the 13th now

Last edited:

Grib

I'm still trying to get my vaal tickets, hard getting the time with this weather haha, think he goes soon

Got a augument for IG now just to deliberate using it on catastrophe's light for Regen or my Luna glaive

Andersons Dietician

I'm still trying to get my vaal tickets, hard getting the time with this weather haha, think he goes soon

Got a augument for IG now just to deliberate using it on catastrophe's light for Regen or my Luna glaive
If your Luna is the one with sharpness then surely has to be that one.

This sunshine is for sure cutting in to the playing time, along with the summer booze. Monster slaying ain’t all that easy when your buzzed.

Grib

If your Luna is the one with sharpness then surely has to be that one.

This sunshine is for sure cutting in to the playing time, along with the summer booze. Monster slaying ain’t all that easy when your buzzed.
I upgraded the Luna one with the health recovery tree so duno ifs as much benefit

While catastrophe's light doesn't have white sharp, it's dragon/elder seal and has big blue, I believe it was widely regarded as the best IG, at least prior to Luna

Andersons Dietician

I upgraded the Luna one with the health recovery tree so duno ifs as much benefit

While catastrophe's light doesn't have white sharp, it's dragon/elder seal and has big blue, I believe it was widely regarded as the best IG, at least prior to Luna
Which one do you feel like you’ll use most?

I made a switch axe the other day which is called Jagras hacker I think and it’s awesome. Lots of blue has exhaust on it and sleep. The sleep is only 80 but does alright. It had 3 augment slots and I had an abundance of this axe Augs so put affinity, attack and health regen on it. Was making light work of those Tizi things for the limited bounty. Which by the way I had no investigations for and basically no one ever puts up an sos for. Took ages.

Grib

I've been using the Luna won more but that's probably because it has Regen already, smart move is prob to put the augument on catastrophe's light for now for other fights

Yeah I hear people talking about the jag hacker, must be neat enough

Andersons Dietician

@Grib so ummm finally get around to farming Lunastra. Kill 2 Lunastra get 4 gems :drool:
I got 3 in 1 fight, 2 from carving and then 1 was in the rewards box. Where was this sort of luck when I had to kill 60+ of the feckers to get 1 gem.

Now what to go spend them on...

Marcelinho87

Enjoying this so far tbh, just downed that Pukei Pukei thing while a great Jagras chased us too!

I will admit though I have no idea what I am doing :D The combat with the long sword feels good but when it comes to upgrading/buying new shit then I just been winging it so far.

Grib

Enjoying this so far tbh, just downed that Pukei Pukei thing while a great Jagras chased us too!

I will admit though I have no idea what I am doing :D The combat with the long sword feels good but when it comes to upgrading/buying new shit then I just been winging it so far.
Personally I just plodded along with what I had early game until something became to hard then looked at upgrades

One other thing to note is your bounties, they're the only way to get armour cores to upgrade your defence, best start knocking this out as often as you can if not already doing so