Morgan Schneiderlin | BBC: Morgan Schneiderlin is currently having a medical at Manchester United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Have I read somewhere that Morgan had a knee injury last season? Sorry I didn't pay much attention to his injury situation then. Wondering if this has something to do with our valuation for him, knowing the emphasis LVG puts on fitness and the fact that he probably got scared seeing our injury situation last season?

crossy1686

career ending
I'd remind you that haggling over 2m cost us Ronaldinho. Clubs do this all the time. It's not about 5m, but it's about showing we won't pay over the odds as we have done the past 2 summers.

How do you know we could have wrapped this up? What's to say Southampton just want to bring a replacement in first? I would suggest you don't panic and see what happens. We pushed ahead with a formal bid - you don't do that unless you want the player and as I said, the idea Schweinsteiger was finalised yesterday is laughable.
Ronaldinho agreed to sign for us. Barcelona's president called him in the middle of the night before the papers were to be signed the following day and the rest is history.

LonelyFire

Ronaldinho agreed to sign for us. Barcelona's president called him in the middle of the night before the papers were to be signed the following day and the rest is history.
Not quite. We pissed about over 2.5m and allowed barca to step in.

Amir

Let's be honest, if they don't all fly out together on Monday...I can't imagine it would be too difficult to tie up deals and get them sent over to the U.S.
I'm sure we could afford to buy a plane ticket later this week. We've had players joining summer tours somewhere in the middle of it all, so it's not a big deal.

Question234

schweinsteger will rotate with carrick/herrera.

I could see it being

schneiderlin (8) Schwinsteger (6)
herrera (10)

Truedevil

If Southampton are getting Clasie then Schneiderlin is leaving. If he's leaving he's coming to us as there hasn't been any interest from other clubs recently.

He's ours imo.

Question234

I'd swap Mata for Herrera but either option sets us up very well.
tbh so would I

Just think herrera really made the midfield his own at times last season, instant difference when he played, smooth on the ball and offered some penetration.

Mata may occupy the false winger role which i think suited him pretty well. He was amazing against liverpool.

Ekeke

That's so weird to see people say that, Schweinsteiger has played as the deepest midfielder for years, the Schweinsteiger that everyone highly rate play very deep.

Schweinsteiger excels with the game infront of him, when Schneiderlin excels in the middle of the game.
Its fairly obvious he's not going to get you goals from Carrick's position deeper than 2 other central midfielders. So its not weird at all, its common sense not to waste his attacking ability when he's better than our best CM at it (Ander)

He's also always needed someone deep next to him, which he wouldnt have in Carrick's positon

Tarrou

If true this Clasie news is quite promising. I'm clinging onto the hope. I'll be absolutely gutted if City end up getting Morgan instead.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
If true this Clasie news is quite promising. I'm clinging onto the hope. I'll be absolutely gutted if City end up getting Morgan instead.
Would be hilarious as well though. The caf is going to go mental. @Sam would livestream an immaculate harakiri performance I believe.

Jerch

I now, when this Clasie rumors came out, think that Schneiderlin deal is as good as done. English media is clueless, i don't know how they can have so much money because they are not very good at their business.

Schweinsteiger reports came from Germany, Darmian reports came from Italy, Depay from Holland, Di Maria from Spain,... Nothing from English media. If Di Marzio wouldn't report Darmian news he could be at Carrington for 2 days and no one would know about that.

Schneiderlin could be already on the plane to us or even doing a medical at Carrington and English media would know nothing. Wouldn't be suprised if some German jurno brake Schneiderlin news when he see him at Carrington while waiting for the Bastian news.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Would be hilarious as well though. The caf is going to go mental. @Sam would livestream an immaculate harakiri performance I believe.
I am just waiting for one spoof tweet about Morgan to City or the Arse and this place will go into a tail spin. Rightly so. :-)

pacifictheme

tbh so would I

Just think herrera really made the midfield his own at times last season, instant difference when he played, smooth on the ball and offered some penetration.

Mata may occupy the false winger role which i think suited him pretty well. He was amazing against liverpool.
Yeah i know what you mean. Just think Mata is a bit more creative and with those two sat behind there will be less emphasis on defending. The combinations are pretty exciting to be honest.

ThanksBoss26

I now, when this Clasie rumors came out, think that Schneiderlin deal is as good as done. English media is clueless, i don't know how they can have so much money because they are not very good at their business.

Schweinsteiger reports came from Germany, Darmian reports came from Italy, Depay from Holland, Di Maria from Spain,... Nothing from English media. If Di Marzio wouldn't report Darmian news he could be at Carrington for 2 days and no one would know about that.

Schneiderlin could be already on the plane to us or even doing a medical at Carrington and English media would know nothing. Wouldn't be suprised if some German jurno brake Schneiderlin news when he see him at Carrington while waiting for the Bastian news.
Even the original news of the Schneiderlin interest a few weeks back came from the French media.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its fairly obvious he's not going to get you goals from Carrick's position deeper than 2 other central midfielders. So its not weird at all, its common sense not to waste his attacking ability when he's better than our best CM at it (Ander)

He's also always needed someone deep next to him, which he wouldnt have in Carrick's positon
Schweinsteiger isn't an attacking midfielder and you don't expect goals from him but play making and midfield controlling, he sometimes runs forward a launch a rocket because he can but Schweinsteiger is a deep lying play maker, he plays in the same area than Pirlo, Xabi Alonso and Carrick.

settembrini

I'm surprised so many people are sill confident of this still happening. All the signs indicate we low-balled Southampton a while back and then left it. Surely he'd be ours by now if we wanted him? We leave to go on tour on Monday and it doesn't look like a complicated transfer to complete.

All logic points towards us not wanting him after we found out Schweinsteiger was available. Really hoping I'm wrong.
I think it's because most people thought that Schneiderlin would be a great signing, better than Schweinsteiger, and people don't like to admit the possibility that Van Gaal had the choice and has opted for the latter.

For what it's worth I agree with you, and hopefully we are both wrong and they are right and we do sign both :)

Woodenlung

I still think the Schweinsteiger deal has finished this one off. Basing this off nothing other than the fact that we could've realistically finished this one off a while ago, but haven't and now have a new big name signing in midfield.

Question234

Yeah i know what you mean. Just think Mata is a bit more creative and with those two sat behind there will be less emphasis on defending. The combinations are pretty exciting to be honest.
and that's the good thing, we have options now. Even if the formation/line up isn't crystal clear atm.

Figuring out how to fit these players into our midfield is a positive problem, strong options always on the bench.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I still think the Schweinsteiger deal has finished this one off. Basing this off nothing other than the fact that we could've realistically finished this one off a while ago, but haven't and now have a new big name signing in midfield.
While you say that, remember that we have had a bid already turned down for this fella. Why would we bid for him, knowing we were going after Schweinsteiger all along? It just doesn't make sense.

Ekeke

Schweinsteiger isn't an attacking midfielder and you don't expect goals from him but play making and midfield controlling, he sometimes runs forward a launch a rocket because he can but Schweinsteiger is a deep lying play maker, he plays in the same area than Pirlo, Xabi Alonso and Carrick.
He's better at creating and scoring than our CMs. He hasnt scored less than 4 league goals since 2012, and has had as many as 7 in 2012/2013

The key is that he's not someone who shields the defence. So he's not a good fit for Carrick's role.

He can make a tackle but so can Antonio Valencia and we dont put him in DM. He's like Fellaini and Ander, he can go in and try to win the ball but we need someone with the right instincts to sense danger and protect the defence like Carrick has done. Schneiderlin is even better at it.

We play with 1 player releasing 2 other central midfielders. He needs to be released, he is not the one who covers others

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really hope this is sorted soon, hopefully a deal can be reached today.

Question234

pretty sure schweinsteger played as a dm when germany won the world cup. For the bayern treble as well.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Hope so, but I though these FFP rules were being relaxed?
They are so they could go for both... there's been nothing linking City to Schneiderlin though and seems like they're focusing on getting Sterling done first. We've got Darmian done, Schweinsteiger's going through his medical and the personal terms with Schneiderlin seemed to be pretty much done, was just agreeing the fee with Southampton left to do.

settembrini

pretty sure schweinsteger played as a dm when germany won the world cup. For the bayern treble as well.
He's been a defensive midfielder for ages. Don't understand why some people are arguing against this fact.

Btw does anyone have that picture I saw on here the other day. It looked like it was from a book or an article and was Van Gaal talking about his conversion of Schweinsteiger from a winger into a midfielder.

JPRouve

Scout
He's better at creating and scoring than our CMs. He hasnt scored less than 4 league goals since 2012, and has had as many as 7 in 2012/2013

The key is that he's not someone who shields the defence. So he's not a good fit for Carrick's role.

He can make a tackle but so can Antonio Valencia and we dont put him in DM. He's like Fellaini and Ander, he can go in and try to win the ball but we need someone with the right instincts to sense danger and protect the defence like Carrick has done. Schneiderlin is even better at it.

We play with 1 player releasing 2 other central midfielders. He needs to be released, he is not the one who covers others
That's the thing, what you are saying is weird , he isn't like Herrera and Fellaini, he is like Xabi Alonso and Pirlo, the higher you play him, the least you can use is lethal passing range and his ability to organize the midfield. He was the deepest player with Thiago and Kroos around him, he was the deepest player with Javi Martinez and/or Luiz Gustavo. Obviously sometimes he will bomb forward like Pirlo does, but he isn't a B2B, Schneiderlin is a B2B

At least that's my opinion..

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Weren't Gustavo and Martinez the rotating defensive midfielders for their treble campaign?

JPRouve

Scout
Lahm for germany, martinez and gustavo for bayern.
No, Lahm was right box to box and after right back, Schweinsteiger was DM, Kroos left box to box and Khedira right box to box.

stevoc

Not quite. We pissed about over 2.5m and allowed barca to step in.
Kenyon made a verbal bid to PSG of £25m without the board approving it, the board only wanted to go to £23m which ended up being our formal bid in writing.

Apparently the then PSG president was upset at this and thought it was unprofessional so accepted a slightly lower bid from Barca £21m if i remember correctly. Barca was Ronaldinho's preference anyway so it was all wrapped up pretty quickly before we could do anything about it.

So it wasn't exactly all down to haggling more so Kenyon acting the dick and generally being a bit incompetent.

Ekeke

That's the thing, what you are saying is weird , he isn't like Herrera and Fellaini, he is like Xabi Alonso and Pirlo, the higher you play him, the least you can use is lethal passing range and his ability to organize the midfield. He was the deepest player with Thiago and Kroos around him, he was the deepest player with Javi Martinez and/or Luiz Gustavo. Obviously sometimes he will bomb forward like Pirlo does, but he isn't a B2B, Schneiderlin is a B2B

At least that's my opinion..
You're very confused.

Just because he isnt playing in Carrick's role doesnt mean he cant start from deep. Schneiderlin is starting from deep at Southampton on the left. Scholes started from deep and he wasnt playing Carrick's current role.

Having a Carrick or Schneiderlin in the middle releases the other players to have freedom, to come short or go forward because the main defensive responsibility isnt on them. Guardiola also did this last season in the champions league using Schweinsteiger on the left and in front of the midfielders in the matches against Barcelona, with Alonso and Lahm and Alonso and Thiago used in CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.