Most controversial decisions in the World Cup

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So which ones are the worst?

Was watching official world cup movies of 70s and 80s, few of the decisions are just crazy.

1978: Poland Vs Argentia
Kempes denied clear goal with his hand (even worse than Suarez), Penalty was awarded and player wasn't sent off (not sure if we had same rules back then)

1978: Brazil vs Sweden
Ref whistled for full time when the corner was taken, he whistled just seconds before Zico scored.

1986: Brazil vs France
Think it was extra time, France player was clear though the goal, Brazil GK rushed out of the box and clearly fouls the player but nothing was given.

1982: Germany vs France
Schumacher fouls France player

There should be bunch of videos from 2002.

alsabi

Well, I don't know about 'controversial' (since virtually everyone agrees it was a huge mistake), but Lampard's ignored goal vs Germany in 2010 sticks in the memory. Far more clear-cut than the winning goal in the '66 final.

Last edited:

Bocca9978

They are all bad but hand of god must top it.
Although, I don’t know what god had to do with it. Hand of cnut.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
2010 wc final Spain vs Netherlands

A deflected shot from Sneijder(?) Is not awarded with a corner kick. Spain quickly put the ball into play and score on the counter.
Thus winning the final. :nervous:

That whole final is up with controversial decisions. Nigel de Jong vs Alonso for example.

VP

Almost as bad as Ovebro
One questionable yellow card. The only reason this is a controversy because it eliminated a big team. If it was the other way round, don't think anyone would even remember.

Mani

I don't term it as most controversial but still controversial considering its final.
1990 WC final.

Sara125

The 1986 Brazil v France one might possibly be one of the worst non decisions I’ve ever seen

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Alonso not being booked for his clear dive in this duel with Nigel de Jong.

Also, the Van Hooijdonk penalty incident against Brazil in 98.

Top of the list is probably the hand of God though, but that's boring.

I remember that long shot from Lampard (I think) against Germany being like a good meter over the goal line and not being given.

No goal.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
1986: Brazil vs France
Think it was extra time, France player was clear though the goal, Brazil GK rushed out of the box and clearly fouls the player but nothing was given.
Referee taking the "not going to ground" principle too far there.

Love that through-ball from Platini. He really got robbed in two World Cups - no wonder he got his own back after retiring.

In 2002, Italy were successively shafted throughout the World Cup, from the number of offside goals wrongly disallowed against Croatia and Mexico iirc through to Totti's sending off. Spain too after that ball-out-of-play decision against Joaquin when Morientes scored. That was either gross incompetence or corruption.

adnando

One questionable yellow card. The only reason this is a controversy because it eliminated a big team. If it was the other way round, don't think anyone would even remember.
How about the offside decision in extra time, or the numerous attacks on the Italian players? Do you seriously look at that tournament and think of the Totti sending off as an isolated decision? The referee, now a convicted drug smuggler, was abysmal. How about the match against Spain, was that also just bad luck? This got to be bait.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
nothing worse that the not seeing of maradona's handball. just what did the ref think had happened?

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
1966 final England-Germany. The ball was not over the line.

Distracted Steward

Easy. Italy vs South Korea 2002. That was a fecking abomination.
That whole tournament was a low point for FIFA refereeing. At the time it looked like they put inclusion too far beyond competence. In hindsight, maybe some of it was corruption.

Regardless, it should be a long, long time before we again see a dumpster fire like the 2002 WC refereeing again was.

vangagal

That whole tournament was a low point for FIFA refereeing. At the time it looked like they put inclusion too far beyond competence. In hindsight, maybe some of it was corruption.

Regardless, it should be a long, long time before we again see a dumpster fire like the 2002 WC refereeing again was.
We got cheated again by FIFA with Russia and Qatar selection before but thats already past the point of it. I agree, 2002 by some margin was the low point of it. Rivaldo's theatrical acted was a joke too. How could you get fooled by that? An asisstant referee was beside him when that happen.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I love this little offside gem. Don't think I've seen a worse offside call ever.
I was ready to counter this with a few examples but after watching it... yeah, it's probably the worst offside call ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
While 1966 England is an obvious one I would also mention Garrincha in 1962. He was sent off in the semi-final but after an appeal by the Brazilian government (or so they say?) he was allowed to play in the final. A very controversial decision to say the least.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This makes me remember that the refereeing level was really poor back at the 90's. Things are beter, but we need technology involved to make the ref's work easier and give him more tools to make more accurate decisions.

The Firestarter

I don't remember the game but I think it was in Germany 2006 where an offside was awarded after a throw in.

el3mel

Any one mentioned Italy pen against Australia in the dying minutes of the game in 2006 ?

Tarrou

I love this little offside gem. Don't think I've seen a worse offside call ever.
This is one of those random moments I've always remembered, despite it being in a 3rd/4th place match and therefore entirely forgettable. What a fecking finish as well?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

South Korea was equally helped against Portugal, despite Portugal NT was playing like crap at 2002 WC. Portugal would only need a draw against South Korea to qualify for the next round along with USA.

Basically the ref ignored almost every infraction the South Korean players did in their defensive midfield and was always blewing his whistle anytime a Korean player got into the ground. And the Korean players could basically make dangerous studs up tackles that no disciplinary action was taken.

The referee was so biased that one of our players (João Vieira Pinto) got so frustrated with the ref decisions that he lost its temper, made a reckless tackle over the Korean player and punched the ref at the stomach, receiving a fair red card, tbh :lol:

Than we got the second player sent off after a clear dive.

Even with 9 men we missed two sitters in the last 10 minutes showing how this Korean team was nothing without the ref's help.

Schneckerl

The blown calls in Spain against South Korea were way worse than those in the Italian game, but the Italian always seemed louder about their misfortune for some reason.

The Argentina - England game in '66 was controversial were Rattin was sent off - hard to say if it was a bad decision though.

Siorac

Easy. Italy vs South Korea 2002. That was a fecking abomination.
Why is it always Italy? Spain were fecked over far more severely, with two perfectly good goals disallowed. The Italians just cried louder I guess.

Siorac

The blown calls in Spain against South Korea were way worse than those in the Italian game, but the Italian always seemed louder about their misfortune for some reason.
ffs just posted the same thing.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why is it always Italy? Spain were fecked over far more severely, with two perfectly good goals disallowed. The Italians just cried louder I guess.
At least the italians and spanish didn't lost it like João Pinto from Portugal who just went rampage mode :D

Dan

Graham Poll yellow carding the same player three times.