Most disappointing record transfer….

GueRed

Pogba has been massively disappointing but the fact he's such a global brand and probably brings in a fortune commercially for the club, makes up for it a little.

Lukaku was another bad one but we got most of his fee back so didn't feel as bad.

The obvious choice for me has to be Di Maria. Its like he was at the club at gun point. Constantly confused or unhappy about something. Then we made a loss on his transfer fee and ofcourse the beer bottle incident. Horrible signing.

(Not a record signing but Falcao was really underwhelming too)
Edward Woodward has logged in ;)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Berbatov was better at United than Spurs. I don’t even think that’s controversial either.

Being odd man out against Tevez, Ronnie and Rooney is no shame.

Siezard

Berbatov because he never even played as well for us as he did at Spurs. He felt he made it coming here because of the love Fergie showed him and it didn't then work out.

Mata as I knew he wasn't physically going to be a success as a number 10 at United when compared with a Sheringham, Yorke or Rooney.
Can't blame Berbatov. He has big shoes to fill replacing Tevez and then Ronaldo. What the others said are true though. He's not a clutch player and he didn't score enough winning goals in crucial matches. But he's still better than Martial. So if Berbatov is a flop, Martial is one too?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Either Veron or ADM.

Veron came with such a high reputation but couldn't find his feet. But with that said, we had the likes of Scholes in the team so it cushioned the blow.

ADM looked a world beater and then just wanted out and stopped trying. That was worse for me.

Berbatov style of play just wasn't right for us at that specific time. Think he'd have been much better now linking with Greenwood and Rash either side of him.

Hester_manc

Di Maria. He never wanted to live in Manchester or play for Manchester United. He could not get fast enough away from country and the club. He should never have signed a contract with us. And he was a big disappointment for the club, and he had a miserable attitude.

stevoc

I expected more out of Chicharito to be honest. He had a great first season and a somewhat good second season, but in 2012-13 and 13-14 his form dropped massively compared to previous level

He seemed to have the tools to become a mainstay here for years to come...

He definitely wasn't the most disappointing. Just wanted to mention it.

The most disappointing IMO is Di Maria because he came here arguably in his prime. In Sanchez's case, we suspected that he wasn't the same player as in 2014-15 or 2015-16.
Indeed, nor was he a record transfer.

stevoc

It’s a tie between Sanchez and Di Maria for me. 2 fellas who thought they were bigger and better than us and came only for the money, nothing more nothing less.

Sanchez. We literally had to pay him to play somewhere else and then pay him to go away. His contract was disgusting and he was so clearly on the decline before he came in. I never wanted him and called it early. I only wish city had got him.

Di Maria, I really wanted him and he was terrible and clearly never wanted to be here but nobody else came in for him. Why didn’t he just refuse to leave Madrid and save us all the hassle. One player I always love to watch fail.
Sanchez wasn't a record transfer though was he?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sanchez wasn't a record transfer though was he?
Record wages in the league as far as I know. We are probably still paying him or inter off to this day. He also cost us miki who cost us what 30/40 million? The whole package was insane. Just a desperate throw of the dice from Jose to spark his attack and Sanchez had us by the nuts when we went in against city. I’d say city probably would have ended up having to give him 300k a week which was still daylight robbery for the player he had become.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's Veron for sure - it was the first time Fergie ever went for a real Galactico type signing and obviously it ended badly

I think this kind of result (maybe Berbatov too) was one of the reasons Fergie was often reluctant to spend big in latter years

Crashoutcassius

Surely Veron was way more disappointing than those two?
Veron all day. At the time it was mega money for the club. He came into an extremely successful team and couldn't do what he was signed for. Pogba for example came in for veron money but into a struggling team, and at least for a few patches was able to elevate that team

ShinjiNinja26

Di Maria easily. I remember I was fecking buzzing when he signed, especially after the season he just had at Madrid and was named in the world 11. Also the game he played for Argentina against Germany just after he signed I think and single handedly tore them apart. How depressing the reality turned out to be.

stevoc

Record wages in the league as far as I know. We are probably still paying him or inter off to this day. He also cost us miki who cost us what 30/40 million? The whole package was insane. Just a desperate throw of the dice from Jose to spark his attack and Sanchez had us by the nuts when we went in against city. I’d say city probably would have ended up having to give him 300k a week which was still daylight robbery for the player he had become.
Well maybe a declared wages record, who knows what some of City's players are on under the table. And I don't disagree with your assessment of how disappointing he was or that it was bad business all round. Personally I think it was the mistake that cost Jose his job, upset the balance of the team by playing him on the left. When there was (and still is 3 years on) a gaping hole at right wing that he could have occupied.

stevoc

It's Veron for sure - it was the first time Fergie ever went for a real Galactico type signing and obviously it ended badly

I think this kind of result (maybe Berbatov too) was one of the reasons Fergie was often reluctant to spend big in latter years
Probably that and post Roman at Chelsea and definitely after the City takeover we just couldn't really compete with the wages those clubs were offering.

MrSingh2002

Can't blame Berbatov. He has big shoes to fill replacing Tevez and then Ronaldo. What the others said are true though. He's not a clutch player and he didn't score enough winning goals in crucial matches. But he's still better than Martial. So if Berbatov is a flop, Martial is one too?
Martial came to us as an unknown young player, Berba came as an international star. I like Martial but have to say its time to call time on him if we don't believe he's going to win us a Premier league or champions league.

He has all the talent but not enough real hunger to leave it all on the pitch. That's what wins Leagues and Champions Leagues. We need a number 9 that leaves it all out there each game. Haaland would be ideal but he's surely out of our reach.

Cavani will have to do for a year or two until we sign a top striker or Greenwood continues to grow into a centre forward.

28gunsalute

Sanchez was crap, Di Maria a shocking buy, Veron I'd never heard of and he was so out of his depth at United it was laughable.

Tallis

To add a little more diversity in responses - I really thought Saha and Hargreaves would give us something extra but both got sabotaged by injuries.

I thought Bellion would be a rockstar given how hard we fought to sign him but the guy didn’t even play 10 matches for us I think.

After Macheda scored those goals, I had him
down as the next Andy Cole.

I had no expectations from ADM - I watched him quite a bit at RM and wasn’t a big fan. Didn’t think Sanchez would work too but didn’t predict how bad it would be. Berba did ok - could have done better.

Veron played some beautiful stuff at times and we recovered 15 out of those 27m I think.

Pogba was very good for 2 seasons. And then he has played 10 good games every season since then.

MadMike

Sanchez was crap, Di Maria a shocking buy, Veron I'd never heard of and he was so out of his depth at United it was laughable.
Say you have no knowledge of football outside of England, without saying you have no knowledge of football outside of England.

Bobski

Mata I didn't expect much of , the numbers may have looked great but they flattered him as a player. Found it highly frustrating after years of watching Giggs and Scholes that Mata was so conservative in his passing.

Di Maria looked amazing for a couple of weeks then gave up, strong candidate.

Pogba has been underwhelming overall, much less than we hoped he would be but he has produced some outstanding performances and a few great spells of games but the main element of him being here as fan is listening/reading discussions about his best role and how specific it needs to be. A world class midfielder has to be more adaptable than he had been, especially as he has shown in these international tournaments that he is capable of playing a responsible role to a high level, just lacks the focus over a season.

Pughnichi

I was so excited by Veron. He was brilliant to watch but just didn’t live up to what I thought he was gonna be.

DiMaria is a bit meh. Obviously let himself down whilst here but I’ve almost removed him from the memory bank.

Mata for me though is the biggest disappointment. Purely because he has generally been so underwhelming. Never really been able to cement his position as first name in the sheet. In and out of the side. On the left. On the right. Occasionally through the middle.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Veron was still fun to watch at times. Di Maria uttter shambles and Mata just meh

Eddy_JukeZ

I really think you can make an argument that Berbatov was better for us than Tevez was.

Berbatov's 2010-2011 season was probably better than Tevez's 2007-2008 season. It's certainly thereabouts.

Their other seasons were underwhelming.

cyril C

Can't believe leaving out Sanchez? It has to be the worst flop in EPL history ever!

What about the 2x Sch? Djamba? We must have purchased tens of those 3-8m players who hardly start. Only difference was, 20 years ago we machine gun on 5m players and get 10% right, nowadays we machine gun on 50m players and also get 10% right

Andersonson

Not true. 27 appearances, third in the league with assists. Cesc with 34 appearances, Cazorla with 37. Second season he woulda scored more as well imo.

these players had the top four assists of the season in the premier league.
PlayerCountryAssists
Cesc FàbregasSpain19
Santi CazorlaSpain12
Ángel Di MaríaArgentina11
Eden HazardBelgium10
Yes, he delivered some nice corners and has a good cross. Doesnt mean he played well

Champagne Football

1. Di Maria - Had the body language of someone who'd only signed due to losing a bet to one of his mates in Buenos Aires.
2. Alexis - 500,000 a week for a bloke kidnapped from a retirement home.
3 - Lukaku - A pound shop Emile Heskey whenever he pulled on a Utd shirt. Looks unplayable in any other shirt whether club or country.
4 - Pogba - Keeps trying to force a move to clubs that have no interest in him. I do like him. Phenomenal talent but seems a bit of a diva.
5 - Fellaini and Mata - The ultimate panic buys. Moyes sending the helicopter to pick Mata up, was symbolic of how badly the club had lost it's identity.

Kung Fu Cantona7

For me it's Pogba.

I thought he would be a hard working central midfielder, capable of defending as well as scoring and creating goals.

I thought he would control games and develop into a true leader, but I hate watching him play due to his poor work rate and positioning.

Nearly £90 million transfer fee plus ridiculous wages for 5 years of mediocrity!!

It's been 5 years of frustration and disappointment.

wolvored

Di Maria surely. We sold him within a year and lost 14 mill valuation in the process

Eugenius

In purely footballing terms Mata. He's never really looked like replicating his Chelsea form. He's had several memorable moments but rarely any memorable performances (probably Juanfield is the only one).

Di Maria was electric for a few games, then was played out of his best position, got burgled and packed it in mentally. But in that short space of time probably had more influential performances than Mata has had.

I think Pogba has actually been consistently good for us whenever we don't play him in the double pivot.

I don't think Berba had massively high expectations to be fair. He was the icing on the cake of a great team, whereas our more recent signings have had the more difficult task of elevating average teams.

tomaldinho1

Was Di Maria a record transfer?

Attackers/Strikers - Lukaku ~£80m
Midfielders - Pogba ~£89m
Defenders - Maguire ~£80m
Keepers - DDG ~£18m

In the case of Di Maria and Lukaku - some of the disappointment is lessened because we recouped a large % of the transfer fee. Looking at some of our biggest transfers Matic is a really poor one in my eyes at £40m.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can't believe leaving out Sanchez? It has to be the worst flop in EPL history ever!

What about the 2x Sch? Djamba? We must have purchased tens of those 3-8m players who hardly start. Only difference was, 20 years ago we machine gun on 5m players and get 10% right, nowadays we machine gun on 50m players and also get 10% right
None of those were "record transfers".

It's Di Maria, without a doubt.

Berbatov never lived up to the fee and arguably hampered what had been the most exciting attack in the world the year he joined, but he still won two titles (even got the jammiest Golden Boot ever). Mata has been useless for years but scored in a cup final and contributed enough in his first few seasons to not go down as a flop. Pogba could leave for free now and still have done three times as much as Di Maria.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sanchez was not??? OK there was no lump sum payment, but involved a player exchange, and his wage was definitely a record.
You named 4 players none of whom were record transfers.

"Highest wages" is a different thing and would be impossible to really compare, given individual player wages are not ever disclosed.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Pogba.

We paid so much and expected a world class player who could lead our midfield, instead we got a player who barely turns up in most matches with a constant shitshow with his brother and agent dissing the club.

The fact that he's still here despite all the disrespect his entourage has done shows how far the club has fallen. The sooner we get rid of him the better.