Gaming Most hyped but ultimately disappointing game you’ve played

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This should be fun as I’m sure there’s a few that have come out over the years.

For me:

1. Hogwarts Legacy - beautiful to start, never finished it. Trash story and same same gameplay as you play through. Overrated but has so much promise to be made better.

2. Gran Turismo 5 - promised so much, delivered so little. GT7 is finally what was promised…. 12 years after.

3. GTAV - played this again recently and was reminded why I hadn’t played it in 8 years. The gameplay itself is fine but the story is hot trash. Absolute dog shit. A true lesson in people getting caught up in hype of a GTA game.

special mention to mafia 2 which is not a bad game, but nowhere near mafia 1. Cyberpunk has been made good apparently but I never bought into it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
1. Starfield

2. Zelda BotW

3. God of war 1st edition in the norse backdrop.

Somewhat recently anyway. Bott Horizon Zero games were disappointing as well given the reviews.

Baneofthegame

Off the top of my head:

- Watchdogs
- Fallout 76
- Marvels Avengers
- Anthem

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This should be fun as I’m sure there’s a few that have come out over the years.

For me:

1. Hogwarts Legacy - beautiful to start, never finished it. Trash story and same same gameplay as you play through. Overrated but has so much promise to be made better.

2. Gran Turismo 5 - promised so much, delivered so little. GT7 is finally what was promised…. 12 years after.

3. GTAV - played this again recently and was reminded why I hadn’t played it in 8 years. The gameplay itself is fine but the story is hot trash. Absolute dog shit. A true lesson in people getting caught up in hype of a GTA game.

special mention to mafia 2 which is not a bad game, but nowhere near mafia 1. Cyberpunk has been made good apparently but I never bought into it.
Agree with Hogwarts I enjoyed it for a while then realised it was pointless.

BootsyCollins

Heroes of might and magic 4
Heroes of might and magic 5
Heroes of might and magic 6
Heroes of might and magic 7

If there ever comes an 8, highly unlikely, it will be the same. I Will be superhyped hoping for something at least half as good as Heroes of might and magic 3, only to find out its as good as fecking a anthive.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Final Fantasy 16 did not deserve all the praise it got.

horizon forbidden west - awful sequel that ruined everything that was great about the first

cyberpunk - even with all the updates it’s still very average, apart from the dlc.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Edit: Had this for Christmas 1994 on the Amiga CD32. It was so bad, I took it back to HMV the day after boxing day. The queue was huge, and there were at least 2 other people returning it. Finally got to the front after 20 mins and opened the box to find I'd left the fecking disc at home.

Last edited:

Bebe

Hogwarts Legacy - Couldn't keep going after the initial wave of nostalgia. Bland and generic.

Starfield - It's good, but nowhere near "one of the most important RPGs of all time". Exemplifies Bethesda's decline (although to a lesser extent that Fallout 76)

Horizon: Forbidden West - Combat got worse, world got less interesting and the story was terrible (all were strengths of the first game)

Watch Dogs - bland characters, bland gameplay, didn't look anything like the E3 bullshot demos.

Too Human - Those who know, know.

Rome 2: Total War - Quite playable now (base game was highly improved, and mods make it fantastic), but probably my biggest gaming disappointment at launch

Cyberpunk 2077 - At launch at least, it's great now.

Dragon Age 2 and everything Bioware has made from that point on

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mafia 3. Absolute terrible game on launch. So many bugs, I got stuck inside a house because the door would swing open at my character knocking him down every time I tried to leave.

some missions, the stuff you need, wouldn’t spawn. They included barbers and clothe stores, even had them as landmarks but you couldn’t fecking use them (may have changed in an update).

And to top it all off, every mission became the same, every warehouse had the same layout with the boss in the same location as the previous warehouse.

Irwin99

Final Fantasy 12. I knew 13 and 15 were controversial before i played it but 12 reviewed really well and i loved FF6-10 and it just wasn't great (imo).

RE5 and MGS 4 were disappointments too. Cyberpunk was poor on release.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agree with Hogwarts and GTA.
Would add Last of Us 2. First one was great story. 2nd one just didn't have as much interest and the game just wasn't very fun. Diablo as well, started alright but no urge to play more.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
GTA IV. Hated the driving, the story was a big step down from San Andreas as I couldn't be bothered with the main character one bit. Game probably contributed greatly in my move from console to almost exclusively PC gaming.

Redfall was god awful. The hype was more around the concept and the thought of possibly reclaiming this co-op Left 4 Dead feel as it all came and went quickly for me.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Fallout 4 for me. Really hated The Witcher (first one) as well. Couldn't kill a creature unless you had read the book about it. What kind of shit is that? And the sarcasm from Geraint was off the scale. I was so traumatised by it that I didn't buy Witcher 3 for a year or so after its release. Maybe two. Can't remember. But I needed to be convinced by a lot of people that it was brilliant before I bought it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I usually stick with a game that Ive put 20 odd hours into but I had to quit Starfield. I really did not like it at all

RDR 2 was an amazing looking game and brilliant story and I did finish it but I just didn’t find gameplay to be too enjoyable

Lay

GTA IV is another good shout. After San Andreas, I was expecting so much more but in the end came away disappointed. I finished the story and never picked it up again.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Haxball. It's fecking shite.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Edit: Had this for Christmas 1994 on the Amiga CD32. It was so bad, I took it back to HMV the day after boxing day. The queue was huge, and there were at least 2 other people returning it. Finally got to the front after 20 mins and opened the box to find I'd left the fecking disc at home.
I had that on the Megadrive and it was absolutely awful

Glaswegian

Absolutely agree with this. GTAV was a massive let down, the story absolutely sucked. I know GTA parodies American culture and society but I felt it went overboard and just became a parody of itself. Franklin was dull as dishwater, Michael and his family were all just a shower of cnuts (yeah I know they were supposed to be) Trevor was wacky, woah watch out this guy is unpredictable. :yawn:

The new GTA, while it looks graphically impressive, I personally don't like the feel of it. I'm really not interested in TikTok parodies and a lot of what passes for modern culture being in a video game. I know they'll be lampooning TikTok and influencers and things like that. I'd really just rather escape it all. Give me an LA Noire 2.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Opinions I guess. Was it your first? Console or PC?
No id played the previous 2 and most of the ones since and it remains my favourite

(console)

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
GTA IV was damn near unplayable due to the awful driving and clumsy player animations.

I get they went for a 'realistic' physics engine but short of smashing your car into traffic and launching Niko out of the front window it was disgusting.

bucky

No id played the previous 2 and most of the ones since and it remains my favourite

(console)
On PC after a few months it was absolutely garbage due to cheaters. One of the many issues of that game for me.

bucky

Possibly one of my favourite games ever haha put countless hours into this with mates and brothers back in the day and I loved cod 4 world at war etc.
I think the best of the series is either CoD 4 or Black Ops 2.

Lay

I actually think it’s had the strongest story out of any GTA but the weakest gameplay. There was just nothing to do outside of the game itself.
It probably did but I was so done with the game that I just wanted to complete it. I’m not sure why so many people want to go back to liberty city, when it’s just a drab, dull city where you can’t fully drive because it lacks open roads.

It doesn’t help that San Andreas was still my main game and was still fascinating me. I expected the next instalment to be amazing but in the end, it didn’t even feel like a GTA game.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
GTA IV was damn near unplayable due to the awful driving and clumsy player animations.

I get they went for a 'realistic' physics engine but short of smashing your car into traffic and launching Niko out of the front window it was disgusting.
Careful now, four stars if you do that (another annoying thing about the game).