Gaming Most hyped but ultimately disappointing game you’ve played

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I actually liked watchdogs when it first came out, think I seen the potential tbh.

Also forbidden west wasn't really hyped much that I remember, just "here's your sequel". Think the graphics were the thing they hyped.

Kaos

Fallout 4 - Wasn't even surprised with Starfield being hot trash since Bethesda have pretty much become a meme studio since then, but Fallout 4 was the last time I'd really put any stock into them.

Mass Effect Andromeda - Pretty much confirmed to me BioWare are well and truly dead.

Star Wars The Old Republic - as with above, but man did I want another Star Wars MMO after fond memories of Star Wars Galaxies. Unfortunately it was merely a sloppy WoW clone with no end game, and quickly ruined by EA's customary anti-consumer practises.

Cyberpunk 2077 - I went back and forth on this one since I did end up loving the game and the expansion. But its not the generational game I thought it would be, and remembered feeling a little hollow on its release after naively jumping on the hype train for years.

Irwin99

Res Evil 5.

GTA 4.

MGS 4 & 5.
That one has aged very badly and I think people were just wowed by the cinematic feel of the game and the sense of closure. First two acts were very good but it just descends into madness (and not the good Kojima kind).

Abizzz

Need for Speed Underground (2003). It was so bad I don't think I actually bought another game until around 2015.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I kept hearing great things about this series and I finally bought in when I got a Switch.

I was bored senseless playing it.

Abizzz

Dude that game was amazing
Maybe to someone whose first installment it was. I played NFS hot pursuit (98) for hundreds of hours as a kid and was done with underground in one weekend. Bought it on a friday and never played it again after the following monday. Felt like the worst 40 bucks ever spent at the time.

As far as I can remember it didn't even have a el nino. Or support putting in a CLK GTR (or countless other cars) like hot pursuit did. And instead of using the awesome advances pcs made between 98 and 03 they went to some horrible cartoon style. I stick to my statement.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Maybe to someone whose first installment it was. I played NFS hot pursuit (98) for hundreds of hours as a kid and was done with underground in one weekend. Bought it on a friday and never played it again after the following monday. Felt like the worst 40 bucks ever spent at the time.

As far as I can remember it didn't even have a el nino. Or support putting in a CLK GTR (or countless other cars) like hot pursuit did.,
Yeah, hot pursuit was before my time. Underground came out when I was in HS and was tuning my own car. It was like fantasy football in car form

jasT1981

Probably going to get some flak for this, but Final Fantasy 7. Both OG and Remake. Just never could get into them. I liked 8&9 though.

Starfield also - It's a decent game but it just got boring after a while and not worth the hype.

Fallout 76 - Pre Launch it was hyped up big but turned out to be a bug filled crapfest. It did get better when I returned to it last year.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Same as above with Fallout 76. Hyped so much and filled with bugs making it unplayable on launch for many. I do intend to return to it some day.

Dino Crisis 3 - I loved Dino Crisis 1 & 2 but whoever thought to make this a sci-fi dinos on a spaceship type game rather than a Resident Evil/Silent Hill type survival horror that the first two were like messed up big time.

Abizzz

Yeah, hot pursuit was before my time. Underground came out when I was in HS and was tuning my own car. It was like fantasy football in car form
It probably still was better than almost any other racing game of the time (i'm not an expert). To me it was just such a disappointment because I was as hyped about it as I pretty much ever was about any game. GTA 3 had released 2 years prior and made such an incredible leap from 2 that I thought something along those lines must be coming from NFS too (in the 90s the bigger franchise from my perspective as a kid), it just didn't live up to that at all.

Carolina Red

Staff
It probably still was better than almost any other racing game of the time (i'm not an expert). To me it was just such a disappointment because I was as hyped about it as I pretty much ever was about any game. GTA 3 had released 2 years prior and made such an incredible leap from 2 that I thought something along those lines must be coming from NFS too (in the 90s the bigger franchise from my perspective as a kid), it just didn't live up to that at all.
That’s fair. We were coming into that game from two very different perspectives.

I think Underground was the first driving game I ever had tbh, not counting NASCAR & IndyCar games.

Sweet Square

Metal Gear Solid 2

I fully understand it’s a masterpiece and Kojima deliberately made the main character a loser dork to show that anyone can become a “legendary” solider. Plus it predicted the hellworld of misinformation we now live in. But…….the opening scene and the boat level playing as Snake is so fecking good. I can’t help but be disappointed with the rest of it.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Doom 3
Age of Empires IV

Ainu

@SuperiorXI good shout, Final Fantasy 13 for me as well. It was supposed to be the flagship title in this ridiculously ambitious "Fabula Nova Crystallis" bullshit and looked incredible in trailers. And then it turned out to be the most one-dimensional JRPG I'd ever played with an unlikable protagonist and bland (or plain annoying) supporting cast, set in a world you never even get to explore.

Still not the worst game I've ever played or anything, but definitely a major disappointment.

Scottynaldinho

As far as I can remember it didn't even have a el nino. Or support putting in a CLK GTR (or countless other cars) like hot pursuit did. And instead of using the awesome advances pcs made between 98 and 03 they went to some horrible cartoon style. I stick to my statement.
The original Underground was not cartoon-style. They just went to night street racing instead of track racing, which was a step in the right direction then.

Abizzz

The original Underground was not cartoon-style. They just went to night street racing instead of track racing, which was a step in the right direction then.
Maybe cartoon was the wrong word. NFS Hot Pursuit was sharp and cutting edge and Underground was busy and way more gimmicky with some storytelling shxt no one needed in a car game. It just felt like a proper "EA Games Sequel" while Hot Pursuit was the gold standard of it's time.

I appreciate that this is very subjective but subjectivity does come into it when thinking about the game that has disappointed me most.

Oh and i've thought of another one: Command and Conquer Red Alert 2. Another great let down after the classic that was Command and Conquer Red Alert.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
NFS Underground was a brilliant game. :nono:

Has to be Cyberpunk, promised so much and due to The Witcher being one of the best games of all time the hype was crazy. They've managed to salvage a solid game together but that initial promise leaves a bitter taste.

mitChley

Fallout 4 - Wasn't even surprised with Starfield being hot trash since Bethesda have pretty much become a meme studio since then, but Fallout 4 was the last time I'd really put any stock into them.

Mass Effect Andromeda - Pretty much confirmed to me BioWare are well and truly dead.

Star Wars The Old Republic - as with above, but man did I want another Star Wars MMO after fond memories of Star Wars Galaxies. Unfortunately it was merely a sloppy WoW clone with no end game, and quickly ruined by EA's customary anti-consumer practises.

Cyberpunk 2077 - I went back and forth on this one since I did end up loving the game and the expansion. But its not the generational game I thought it would be, and remembered feeling a little hollow on its release after naively jumping on the hype train for years.
I came here to say this, and to a lesser extent Star Wars Galaxies. I adored that game but I had such (unrealistic) hopes when it was in development. I still played it a tonne and I think some of the features, like player cities, or guild wars, were brilliant.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands
All have shite systems and grinds nobody cared about but shoved into our throat in order to increase our /playtime.

Final Fantasy XV - unfinished game, unstable fps, battle system is not fun
Digimon World 4 - the worst Digimon game in my opinion, agumon with swords? just feck off
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - I don't like the Legendaries and I didn't have as much fun compared to it's predecessors. Not a fan of Nintendo DS as well

Last edited:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Elder Scrolls online for me. I bought a PS4 on the strength of it being a massive Skyrim fan. Game was garbage. Every COD since the original MW3

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cyberpunk 2077, definitely. I know they've fixed it a bit now but I still can't get into it.

Mike Smalling

All have shite systems and grinds nobody cared about but shoved into our throat in order to increase our /playtime.
It's why people still play Classic. Literally a 20 year old game, but they just got so many mechanics and reward structures right the first time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Alien's Colonial Marines
Oh, definitely. Had big hopes for that game. The previews looked great and it seemed like they captured the essence of James Cameron's blockbuster sequel.
Cyberpunk 2077, definitely. I know they've fixed it a bit now but I still can't get into it.
Delved into the game again during Christmas. Its improved, no doubt. But it still feels cold to me.

Last edited:

Herman Toothrot

GTA IV is another good shout. After San Andreas, I was expecting so much more but in the end came away disappointed. I finished the story and never picked it up again.
This GTA IV talk is disgraceful. It's a masterpiece with a couple of cracking spin-off titles.

The only GTA games I didn't like were GTA 2 with its weird near-future setting and GTA London which was pretty wank compared to the original. I never played the Manchester expansion to GTA London which, interestingly, did feature their take on Old Trafford.

Herman Toothrot

Sacrilege.
They maintained the quality of the cut scene from the first game but didn't have the same fun of driving around causing chaos. Used to love getting a tanker or fire engine on the San Andreas level and bombing it around the motorway with the cops ramming me until they exploded.

Hmmm, perhaps the cops ramming me until they exploded isn't the best phrasing.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
They maintained the quality of the cut scene from the first game but didn't have the same fun of driving around causing chaos. Used to love getting a tanker or fire engine on the San Andreas level and bombing it around the motorway with the cops ramming me until they exploded.

Hmmm, perhaps the cops ramming me until they exploded isn't the best phrasing.
:lol:

The cut scenes were definitely a highlight. Wasn't even aware of the Manchester spin-off with it being PC-only. I hope Old Trafford was represented.

Kaos

Final Fantasy XV - unfinished game, unstable fps, battle system is not fun
Digimon World 4 - the worst Digimon game in my opinion, agumon with swords? just feck off
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - I don't like the Legendaries and I didn't have as much fun compared to it's predecessors. Not a fan of Nintendo DS as well
Agreed on the WoW expansions. Only ones I've enjoyed post Lich King are Pandaria and Dragonflight, but as decent as the latter is, I can't help but feel like the game has been perpetually ruined by catering towards competitive/e-sports culture. The game is now nothing but a cesspit of world first races, and pandering to the toxic, elitist realm of mythic plus. LFR is a nice touch, but there's pretty much nothing to do for a casual player once you've exhausted those.

I'm tempted to try the new season of discovery twist on classic though.

Hughes35

I'm not a huge gamer but I was crazy excited for Hogwarts legacy.

The map is amazing but whoever wrote the story line and the tasks needs shooting. Joining in latter school years, how easy the spells are to learn, repetitive nature of it all. The only decent bit is dueling.

Why on earth would you not of just done a story about a kid starting school in 1st year and progressing though the years once you managed to pass exams, get selected for the quidditch team, matches etc.

Yea 1 - first visits to Diagon Alley for stuff, shit goes down at the bank, School year, learn to fly, learn some spells and stuff, thwart some form of baddie, exams to pass the year.

Year 2 - Back to school, Forbidden Forrest, loads of magic creatures stuff, Quidditch try outs etc, More spells, A who do it / Animagus style baddie.

Year 3 - Quidditch matches, Hogsmeade, Dementors etc

Year 4 - Quidditch world cup etc etc

Year 5 - Triwizard tournament year

Etc etc

It could have been so good, and they fecked it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Deus Ex: Invisible War

Obviously loads others, but this was one of the earliest and biggest catastrophes of the golden years of dumbing down games because it was decided console gamers are morons.

Bioshock Infinite, Starfield and Cyberpunk are all big examples of games over promised and under baked...but we kind of knew about them before hand.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tough one because nowadays you can just see reviews and any bit of hype dies right there and then in most cases.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten many older titles that ended up being disappointments but off the top of my head:
- Deus Ex Invisible War - sequel to one of the greatest games ever made and sadly it was just really meh.
- GTA5 - this is more personal in that it’s the title where my love for the franchise died. I couldn’t love the basic as feck gameplay and the narrative wasn’t good enough to make up for it.

I’ll think of others but it seems Zelda Botw which I’m currently playing might make it soon.

Mike Smalling

Agreed on the WoW expansions. Only ones I've enjoyed post Lich King are Pandaria and Dragonflight, but as decent as the latter is, I can't help but feel like the game has been perpetually ruined by catering towards competitive/e-sports culture. The game is now nothing but a cesspit of world first races, and pandering to the toxic, elitist realm of mythic plus. LFR is a nice touch, but there's pretty much nothing to do for a casual player once you've exhausted those.

I'm tempted to try the new season of discovery twist on classic though.
It's alright. They've made some fun alterations to the classes that mix the dynamic up a bit, and in my opinion it's also fun that lvl 25 is temporarily the end-game until the next phase drops. At this point the content is super easy, though, and can easily be completed by 10 randoms you find, which is very different to raiding in Classic. It's a lot more casual.